Royal opts In

The tricky part to this is that it is whether it meets the 95% threshold for each ship, each sailing.  Are you going to get onboard, only to be told that “this week, masks will be required?”  Especially during periods with more children (over 5 y) onboard. That’s part of the deal by opting in to the program.

25 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Considering that there large swaths of the cruising world where 5-11YO are not yet eligible to receive a vaccine, mandating full vaccination status for that age group would significantly affect their ability to attract any international business.

The rules have been different for ship departing from different countries and that will probably will continue.  I heard that the UK is now allowing the 5-11 age group to get the vaccine.  What large swaths of international cruisers (especially ones frequently depart US ports so care about US rules) have not made 5-11 eligible?

This is beyond great news for us! I booked under the assumption the mask mandate indoors was lifted and was shocked to find out it wasn’t. But with this new policy, all is rectified. Just need to keep fingers crossed 🤞🤞 that there aren’t anymore serious waves of new variants.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

I heard that the UK is now allowing the 5-11 age group to get the vaccine.  What large swaths of international cruisers (especially ones frequently depart US ports so care about US rules) have not made 5-11 eligible?

Yeap just this week. I think most European countries have been for some months 

9 minutes ago, alohayall said:

The tricky part to this is that it is whether it meets the 95% threshold for each ship, each sailing.  Are you going to get onboard, only to be told that “this week, masks will be required?”  Especially during periods with more children (over 5 y) onboard. That’s part of the deal by opting in to the program.

They’re on the road to survival. I don’t see them jumping on the road to bankruptcy by implementing masking requirements on short notice here and there….ain’t happening. 

You can be sure the lawyers are working on better wording than the FB post to address the 5-11 year olds.  Summer sailing on “O” class ships sailing full could allow more than 300 unvaxed kids in that range.  The problem is then moving or refunding if more than that is booked.  

My guess is that those in less expensive cabins with unvaxed kids would get the “sorry” letter, you can’t sail on this cruise. Kind of like how they deal with an 11 year old that turns 12 right before the cruise and doesn’t have time to get vaxed.  Their FAQ’s say no can do.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alohayall said:

I don't think it'll be that granular.  It'd be a terrible business practice to go week by week like that with protocols, and I'm sure the cruise lines have some back room understanding with the CDC that it's possible a given cruise will be under 95% but that's OK.

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

It currently is not a requirement, but I would think they would need to start gathering vax status early, so they can determine if they will be 95% and above.   

When booking direct with Royal for 3 future cruises we have been asked for vaccine status and it shows vaccinated on our invoices for each guest.

A couple of comments. First, masks being "encouraged" for unvaccinated kids is basically masks on the honor system and that does not work. Remember when the CDC changed the mask guidance last May and basically said masking was on the honor system? Cases went up. If Royal does not change that policy, I think they might have problems. Kids may not get as sick as adults, but they CAN carry it which means it can spread.

Second, if masks remain optional for vaccinated people by the time we sail in May and Royal is NOT requiring the booster, I think that may be a problem.  The fact that effectiveness wanes after two shots makes me nervous about being in close quarters with those who haven't been boosted.  I'm also hoping that a requirement for 5 and over to be vaccinated is coming.

Third, we're pretty much locked in for our May sailing. So, we will continue to wear our masks in indoor areas on the ships. Small price to pay to be safe and I've gotten so used to wearing it that it just doesn't bother me anymore.

Like I said, we're locked in but this change in policy makes us feel decidedly less safe and I sure hope they tweak it.

Edited by shutterbug63
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I did.  You should go back and re read MB's poorly 95% of crew and guests need to be vaccinated.  He never said that all guests 5 and up need to be.  He only stated that AO would have to wear masks which leads me to believe there will still be unvaccinated 5 to 11 year olds. 

I sure hope RC revisits that. The absurdity of that policy is off the charts when those same vaccinated kids would be allowed to pack the arcade without masks along side unvaccinated kids.

1 minute ago, shutterbug63 said:

Third, we're pretty much locked in for our May sailing. So, we will continue to wear our masks in indoor areas on the ships. Small price to pay to be safe and I've gotten so used to wearing it that it just doesn't bother me anymore.

That's the beauty of it. For people who still think masks work, you can still wear them. The rest of us can get back to normal.

• Like 15

If I were Royal - I would require all passengers 5+ without a medical exemption to be vaccinated.  The insurance cost / risk / bad press / lawsuits for someone getting severely ill from covid would be too high for me.   Vaccinated but mask free is an easy compromise.  

Our group with 3 vaccinated children travels on Wonder on April 15.   We are fine with the rules for AO.   Vaccines have been available since November for 5+. - there has been plenty of time for folks to get them.   

I would not want to risk having an unvax but eligible party member and finding out just before sailing that I could not board because of the Threshhold.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shutterbug63 said:

A couple of comments. First, masks being "encouraged" for unvaccinated kids is basically masks on the honor system and that does not work. Remember when the CDC changed the mask guidance last May and basically said masking was on the honor system? Cases went up. If Royal does not change that policy, I think they might have problems. Kids may not get as sick as adults, but they CAN carry it which means it can spread.

Second, if masks remain optional for vaccinated people by the time we sail in May and Royal is NOT requiring the booster, I think that may be a problem.  The fact that effectiveness wanes after two shots makes me nervous about being in close quarters with those who haven't been boosted.  I'm also hoping that a requirement for 5 and over to be vaccinated is coming.

Like I said, we're locked in but this change in policy makes us feel decidedly less safe and I sure hope they tweak it.

I respect your opinion and concerns, but maybe you shouldn’t be cruising for a while. Boosters and cloth masks really doesn’t prevent you from getting COVID. Neither will make you safer. Live your life, move on from COVID. And if you have an underlying medical condition, stay safe and reconsider cruising.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, alohayall said:

I'm pretty sure it means each ship. If it's not at 95% which kids dont board?

It's not a matter of rcl opting in and out.. each sailing needs to be at 95% like carnival is now doing with their exemptions that have to be applied for.

• Like 1

Just received this from RCL for our 2/27 cruise:

Updated protocols for sailings departing the U.S. and Puerto Rico on or after February 25, 2022

Royal Caribbean International will participate in the U.S. CDC's voluntary COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. waters, beginning with sailings departing on or after February 25th, 2022 from the U.S. (including Puerto Rico). We will be operating under the Highly Vaccinated category defined by the CDC.

To be considered Highly Vaccinated, requirements include sailing with 95% of crew members fully vaccinated, which we already meet with 100% of our crew. And, 95% of guests eligible for the vaccine must be fully vaccinated as well.

The updated protocols will include face masks being optional for all fully vaccinated guests and expected for unvaccinated children. All kids will be required to wear face masks during Adventure Ocean youth program activities.

We are thoughtfully working through the details and other changes to our health and safety measures to share with our guests and travel advisors before February 25, 2022. 

As a reminder, our health and safety protocols are subject to change.

Looks like MB has updated his post to clarify that unvaccinated kids 5 to 12 will be sailing and the reasons behind masks in AO

As many may know the CDC conditional sail order expired mid January and we continued to operate voluntarily under the program.  Recently the CDC issued the next phase of guidelines consisting of three categories each built on the same foundation of protecting health and each with specific guidelines based on vaccination and booster status.  All cruise lines had until today to opt in or out of the program. 

Today Royal Caribbean confirmed we will participate in the CDC’s voluntary Program.   Specifically, we will operate under the program’s Highly Vaccinated category beginning with sailings departing from the U.S. as of Friday, Feb. 25.

Requirements include sailing with 95% of crew members fully vaccinated, which Royal Caribbean already exceeds with 100% of its crew fully vaccinated and boosted when eligible. Ninety-five percent of guests must be fully vaccinated as well -- this excludes children under five years who are not eligible for the vaccine. The updated protocols will include face masks being optional for all fully vaccinated guests and expected for unvaccinated children.   All kids will be required to wear face masks during Adventure Ocean youth program activities.  Why ? Because the youth program is kids under 5 not vaccinated and a small percentage of kids 5 to 12 not fully vaccinated as well as fully vaccinated kids participating.  

We are thoughtfully working through the details regarding other changes to our health and safety protocols which we will share with our guests and travel advisors before Feb. 25.    We recognize this is still not perfect however its getting closer to normal and is based upon CDC recommendations and our now extensive experience dealing with all of this !

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

The rules have been different for ship departing from different countries and that will probably will continue.  I heard that the UK is now allowing the 5-11 age group to get the vaccine.  What large swaths of international cruisers (especially ones frequently depart US ports so care about US rules) have not made 5-11 eligible?

The problem with the UK rollout to 5-11 YO is that you can't just walk in to your local surgery (Dr's office) and request the vaccine. You have to wait until you are informed by the NHS that your appointment has been scheduled.

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The problem with the UK rollout to 5-11 YO is that you can't just walk in to your local surgery (Dr's office) and request the vaccine. You have to wait until you are informed by the NHS that your appointment has been scheduled.

I’m sure the UK system has its quirks and it was slower than others to roll the vaccine to 5-11 year olds.  Still, the 5-11 year olds are indeed eligible in the UK now;  I hope the roll out goes smoothly.  Back to the question:  did you mean the UK kids in you previously post about large swathes of ineligible kids?  Or others?

Is there any news about the testing protocol?   Our traveling party prefers testing required, vax required, mask optional. 

We would be okay with testing negative or a positive recovered 90 day requirement.

For those with unvax children who have recently had covid - you will still need a negative PCR test which will be harder to achieve than a negative antigen test required for the vaccinated.