Canceling European Cruises

StrawberryHill

1 hour ago, StrawberryHill said:

We have a June Norway cruise and final payment is coming due.  Is anyone else out there thinking about cancelling European cruises this summer ?

Why on earth would you ?

The situation in Ukraine is awful,  but if things become so desperate that you cannot cruise to Norway, the world as we know it will no longer exist.  

• Like 10

2 hours ago, StrawberryHill said:

We have a June Norway cruise and final payment is coming due.  Is anyone else out there thinking about cancelling European cruises this summer ?

I cancelled recently using Cruise with Confidence 42 days prior to cruise. Got my original FCC back & all the money I paid to credit card returned to credit card as well as the money for PVP insurance. 2 agents told me insurance was non refundable so I was surprised. FCC have Dec 31/22 expiry. 
you have to decide what you feel comfortable with, 

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Why on earth would you ?

The situation in Ukraine is awful,  but if things become so desperate that you cannot cruise to Norway, the world as we know it will no longer exist.  

OP has to decide what is right for her. No judgement. 
and the world has already changed over the past two years- we will learn to live with Covid, and hope World Leaders smarten up 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StrawberryHill said:

We are still doing one but we are concerned how intensive is security going to be in European airports and train stations because we are staying on after the cruise.  Remember the early days of traveling in Europe when terrorism was increasing and it was challenging at times.  I do not think anybody knows how this conflict is going to play out.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If people don't feel comfortable cruising to Norway,  living in California, they have a very poor grasp of geography. 

Other than the fact that submarines only need water to navigate, "you do have to decide what you feel comfortable with." We cruised the Baltic countries several years ago, when the presence of Russian subs in the area were being reported by the Fins. That being said, plans are being made to visit Norway this summer.

5 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

We are still doing one but we are concerned how intensive is security going to be in European airports and train stations because we are staying on after the cruise.  Remember the early days of traveling in Europe when terrorism was increasing and it was challenging at times.  I do not think anybody knows how this conflict is going to play out.

I think security in airports and stations is the least of your worries. 

If Putin decides a couple of nuclear missiles are required, no security checkpoint is going to stop them.

6 minutes ago, crawford said:

Other than the fact that submarines only need water to navigate, "you do have to decide what you feel comfortable with." We cruised the Baltic countries several years ago, when the presence of Russian subs in the area were being reported by the Fins. That being said, plans are being made to visit Norway this summer.

Russian subs are always in the Baltic, the Northern Approaches etc, in the same way that their aircraft constantly intrude on EU airspace. It is just a way of testing NATO response times.

Edited by wowzz

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think security in airports and stations is the least of your worries. 

If Putin decides a couple of nuclear missiles are required, no security checkpoint is going to stop them.

There is a lot more that can go wrong before that.....we have traveled before in times of conflict in different parts of the world and are not worried about it....weren't you the one who was afraid to sail on a cruise ship if you had to wear a mask?????

• Like 3

We go until we cannot go.

There is always something.....if you want to have an excuse not to go, you can easily find one or just make one up. 

This has been the best time to cruise....with low prices, low capacity ships and a staff that is so glad to see you.....as they say, "get out there" or not.   You have the choice.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Drews_Cruise said:

We're scheduled for August sailing of Amsterdam, Norway and Iceland.  We're going if I have to take a set of oars and row my way across the north Atlantic..LOL

If you have an OV cabin on a lower deck there will be an oar under your bed.  EM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We cancelled our June Baltic cruise, only because the main reason we booked it was because of St. Petersburg. Sadly, hopefully, another time. However, if we were on your itinerary, we would go.

Never in my wildest imagination did I think an unprovoked war would be happening in early 2022.  I cancelled in Feb 21 all my foreign cruises I had planned and moved them to 2023. Thinking that would be about the time Covid would be under control and tourism starting to return to normal with ports and cities fully open as before. 
First cruise will be Japan April 2023. Praying to God that our world will be in a better place than we all are now.

May God grant his grace and mercy to the people of Ukraine 

• Like 10

On 3/1/2022 at 4:12 PM, crawford said:
  On 3/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, wowzz said:

If people don't feel comfortable cruising to Norway,  living in California, they have a very poor grasp of geography. 

As a native Californian, @wowzzi don't understand your post 

I took @StrawberryHillto say that 2 days in Saint Petersburg was the primary draw for him and was it worth it now that CC / NCL / RCCL are all canceling that port. It's not a hop and a skip from SFO / SJ / LAX it's an all day ordeal to fly there. Would 2023 or 2024 be better. For me, yeah. I'll do Norway & British Isles but just the 15 days. (Arriving early to see Tallinn by ferry from Helsinki)

Modification cuts my cruise from 7k to 2692. Won't cost 4308 to add a week in Sweden / Finland / Estonia after Denmark (already planned 2 days). Love their trains

Edited by Ombud
Missed ' in Won't

21 hours ago, StrawberryHill said:

Thank you to all you replied   We have decided to go.  Booked a longer cruise 16 days vs 14 and it cost $1500 less per person than the original AND we got an large balcony cabin   Now its time to start planning those excursions

nice move!

Enjoy!

We don't know what the world will look like in three weeks when schedule for a trans-Atlantic.  That said, I believe what French President Macron stated after talking with Putin that the "worst is yet to come."  With 1.7 million refugees fleeing Putin's War so far, the destroyed infrastructure which will negatively impact the food chain, Russian invasion forces suffering supply chain problems imply they cannot feed themselves much less the Ukrainians, the horrific future for the 40 million Ukrainians and that this is now a long-term protracted war to eliminate a people (Ukrainians), the future does not bode well.

I can recall seeing people living in cellars with no buildings visiting Germany in 1950/51 while living in the Netherlands, and using ration stamps for food items.  

I asked myself whether I would book this cruise to Europe today knowing what Putin is doing…  With everything being equal, the answer is no.  But everything is not "equal."  We have over $15K (and more) invested.  Princess has not said it will not do this cruise.  That said, the USG has warned against travel to Europe.  This is a war we can see unlike the "war" on COVID-19.  Just as we are beginning to "win" against COVID, Putin gives the world a horrific man-made catastrophe that is lose-lose for all.  By the time we arrive in Southampton Europe could be decimated by refugee flow as well as Russian military operations.  There has been no word on how they might plan to react.  They are likely planning options and keeping them close-hold do to financial issues.

Air travel, flying to the US from Europe, could quickly come a real challenge.

• Like 1

The USG advising against Europe travel dates back to 9th February 2022 in relation to Covid so has nothing to do with Ukraine.

Personally I’d feel safer flying to Rome or Athens to board a ship than fly into Miami.

I have B2B Scandinavia and Norway Fjords cruises for May/June.  I have done final payment.  I have Princess Vacation Protection.  If Princess thinks it is dangerous they either cancel or change the ports.

• Like 1

In the early 2000's I remember a cruise where Ocean Majesty was on an itinerary where the ship was calling in at Tripoli and Beirut. Princess Cruises offered Black Sea cruises which always struck me as romantically exotic.  At some point these were dropped off the schedule as was sailing up the Amazon to Manaus due to ship size I think. 

Regards John

• Haha 1