What do you wish Celebrity would do that other cruise lines do?

Vagabond Knight

Walk in showers in the sky suites with glass doors.  The current tub set up is cumbersome and a safety hazard.  You have to step up into the tub while maneuvering around a glass panel and trying to avoid a shower curtain.  It’s like a flexibility exercise with nothing to grab or hold on to. On the S class with the rainfall shower head, if you are over 6’2” your head hits.  Getting out is just as bad because the floor is lower than the tub. 

And finally, ditch the form over function Hoppen furniture.  In most cases it’s either very uncomfortable, not practical for a ship, or has poor ergonomics. It is possible to find comfortable furniture that has “the look”.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SSAtlantic said:

I am going to second the self service laundry. Princess has them and on longer cruises, I would love it on Celebrity. 

Having worked for luxury hotels I understand why Celebrity doesn’t have self service laundries. 

Self service laundry isn’t luxury.

Luxury is having a laundry service available so your clothes can be washed and pressed and returned to your room promptly.
Luxury also comes with a price. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Carnival has an upcharge menu in the MDR, they still have complimentary non-prime steak and warm water lobster nights like X.  For a $20 charge you can get a prime steak and/or Maine Lobster.

When did they start this?

41 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

And finally, ditch the form over function Hoppen furniture.  In most cases it’s either very uncomfortable, not practical for a ship, or has poor ergonomics. It is possible to find comfortable furniture that has “the look”.

Agree with this! It does appear in looking at recent photos of the Infinite Veranda that those bulky, out-of-scale, uncomfortable chairs have been replaced with a different style. Since those IVs are so tiny, wonder if any option would be an improvement!

• Like 2

The original question by @Vagabond Knight was a very good one to start an interesting thread.  I find the responses that actually answered the question and offered small things that other cruise lines do specifically that Celebrity could incorporate.  Example like self-service laundry.  Or the OP said guest ratings of shore excursions.   It is less valuable to see responses with the usual complaints or wish lists.  We have only sailed RCCL and Celebrity so our experience on specific things that other cruise lines do is limited.  So personally I would like to learn more about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

When did they start this?

Years ago, possibly a decade ago.  The great thing about it, on a whim you can order a prime steak and/ore Maine lobster from the MDR for an upcharge, don't have worry about finding a specialty restaurant reservation

• Like 1

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

Have the doors for the evening shows (7 and 9) open so there's no standing in line waiting to enter the main theater. 

This one confuses me.  Been on 60+ Celebrity cruises and have gone to several shows on each and have never, ever waited in line.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I second this recommendation.  Celebrity should dedicate a unique space with card access for E, E+ and Z members.  Have coffee machines, a few treats now and then.  And a happy hour pre-dinner.  A dedicated concierge for a couple of hours a day.   Just like the RCCL Diamond Lounge.  Keep it distinct from the Retreat Lounge or other suite-only areas.

That would be a great idea.  But let's be honest - Celebrity these days is all about the suites and if anything they are downgrading any loyalty perks.  I think the message is clear.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LGW59 said:

One and it was one too much, never again.  

I think I've been on 5 Carnival cruises.  One was the worst cruise I've been on (but not bad), and one was the best cruise I've been on....overall still prefer HAL, but sailing Celebrity again in May after long hiatus.   I wish they offered a good laundry package as they do on HAL>

14 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I am not sure I like this idea.  I don’t even use the coffee makers in the hotel rooms. 
I think someone else mentioned the extra burden this would put on an already overworked staff.

Agree, I don't see the issue, coffee is available from room service..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I like the idea of self service laundries.But on other lines that have them, they are too small and therefore too crowded, and they are unpredictable as to when you can use them. Celebrity needs to improve on this withe a llarge number of locations, each with many machines.

What do you recommend they cut to pay for all these laundry machines?  I see a maintenance headache myself.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

What do you recommend they cut to pay for all these laundry machines?  I see a maintenance headache myself.  

They have tons of crew only washing machines now so they have the maintenance staff already...If they charge $2 per wash, $2 for soap and another $2 to dry, they'll probably be not only be paid for but would most likely make a profit within a few months.  Another bonus to having self laundry rooms is they usually each have a communal iron and ironing board in them.

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

The lack of a coffee maker in the room was definitely an issue for us at least once on our January sailing. We had previously sailed NCL, which does have coffee makers in their staterooms. We ordered room service breakfast every morning on our Celebrity sailing via the door hanger card. However, that makes you specify a half hour block for your delivery. It works most of the time but if one or both of us wake up earlier than expected or the delivery comes a little late, it can be pretty miserable not having coffee readily available. We also had one day where the whole room service order was a complete debacle. They brought us the completely wrong order, then brought us the completely wrong order again, then brought us a somewhat correct order that was just missing items. When we finally sat down to eat the semi-correct order and drink our coffee, the creamer container was empty! Had there been a coffee maker in the room, it would likely have been stocked with creamer. As it was, I ultimately broke down and went up to the buffet in my pajamas and filled a coffee cup with creamer (and picked up the items that had been missing from our order) and came back down to the room to eat my cold breakfast.

37 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Hi

They are not a headache on P&O or Cunard.

Why put obstacles in the way of every suggestion,,be positive.

If enough passengers want something it will happen.

Us Brits love our cup of tea in the morning,,,P&O and Cunard gave us that,,,,Celebrity soon realised that they had to tag along,,,and hey presto Kettles and tea/coffee making facilities on all Celebrity UK sailings.

What happens to all the kettles when Silhouette leaves the UK and relocates back across the Atlantic?725604D9-02ED-4B79-AA54-4CCA43B6B781.thumb.webp.c0822feaa98bc74c81a61278b8ccf124.webp

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

11 minutes ago, Andrewgary said:

Better selections on TV. Not really interested in European football or cricket and wouldn't mind seeing a baseball game and  American ESPN  instead.

That has to do with the cost of transmission. The costs of satellite television has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Many stations require a per person transmission fee which means the cruiseline would have to pay transmission fees for Max capacity for each ship for programs to be broadcast in the cabins. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They have tons of crew only washing machines now so they have the maintenance staff already...If they charge $2 per wash, $2 for soap and another $2 to dry, they'll probably be not only be paid for but would most likely make a profit within a few months.  Another bonus to having self laundry rooms is they usually each have a communal iron and ironing board in them.

Sounds like being in college.. 🙂

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Funny you bring this up. While on the 'ship' this December 2021chatting with a staff member whose contract was up in January, we asked if he would be back ? He stated that the 'straw' that convinced him to' jump ship' to take a new contract on a newer E-class was a photo his friend on the new E-class sent him of the CREW laundry with 13 new washing machines "and they all work !" He said that there has been no maintenance being done on this S class washing machines and only 2 still work but they are never available.

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Have you tasted room service coffee?  No thank you.  I bring instant coffee grounds and use the water kettle we have our butler get us to make hot water.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

……….Another bonus to having self laundry rooms is they usually each have a communal iron and ironing board in them.

There is No bonus having self-laundry and adding irons is another big negative! Ohh, I’m sooooo opinionated!  

Den 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Funny you bring this up. While on the 'ship' this December 2021chatting with a staff member whose contract was up in January, we asked if he would be back ? He stated that the 'straw' that convinced him to' jump ship' to take a new contract on a newer E-class was a photo his friend on the new E-class sent him of the CREW laundry with 13 new washing machines "and they all work !" He said that there has been no maintenance being done on this S class washing machines and only 2 still work but they are never available.

Imagine the normal guests using them..I've been in enough public laundromats back in the day to say no thanks..as someone else on this thread said, doing laundry is not luxury cruising.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Have you tasted room service coffee?  No thank you.  I bring instant coffee grounds and use the water kettle we have our butler get us to make hot water.

Actually, I get up and hit the Coffee Bar...but yeah, I've tried the room service coffee..I suppose I'm not a coffee snob...I can't imagine not being able to function before a cup.  

If y'all want coffee pots, who am I to stand in the way?  🙂

7 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Having worked for luxury hotels I understand why Celebrity doesn’t have self service laundries. 

Self service laundry isn’t luxury.

Luxury is having a laundry service available so your clothes can be washed and pressed and returned to your room promptly.
Luxury also comes with a price. 

Holland America has the best laundry solution for a mainstream brand barring self-serve facilities - unlimited laundry for $7/room/day for the length of your voyage ($9/day in certain regions).  Laundry comes back beautifully laundered/pressed/folded either in a hanging garment bag or in a wicker basket wrapped in tissue with a gold HAL foil seal

• Like 7