The Daily for Saturday 03/05/2022

richwmn

6 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@HAL4NOWholy moly, what a way to start a vacation!  I'd have been scared silly!  Glad you had the charge reversed; blatant thieves!

After arriving at the hotel and getting settled into our room, we turned the television on and broke down in grateful tears when a song came on that we recognized. "El Me Conoce" (He Knows My Name). This was a powerful reminder that we don't walk alone.

English translation of lyrics: 

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

@HAL4NOW wow! Quite the experience!  The only thing close I had was deep in Southern Italy we had the bank machine at the post office abort mid transaction.   When we tried again inside we were over our limit,  when we had Not gotten any money, our bank thought we had!  The post office manager would not speak to us, wouldn’t give me any record that I had not received the money.  Yet he opened the back of the offending machine.  This was in rural Italy, most spoke no English and there  can be a lot of corruption.  Finally we left without any documentation or money and drove to the local Carabinieri where I spoke through google translate, and then they accompanied me back to the post office  where the manager did speak to them!  I got the officers name and statement, like a police report.  
The  next day we were to fly to Venice via Rome, but there had been a big fire at the Rome airport  all flights were cancelled.  We had to take a direct last minute Ryan air that cost us 700 euro!  And travel via Treviso and a private transfer. And we couldn’t pay our apartment in Venice as we had no cash, luckily we were meeting DS there who loaned us the money.  Finally near Bologna,  I told my husband might as well rent a Ferrari as we had blown nearly 2000$ on nothing!  

And at home many months later got the money returned.  And our credit card covered the trip interruption and Ryanair flights! 

@ger_77 it was a local place, must be popular if it’s at New York fries! 

7627612E-9B50-4D30-B608-FF9845275B06.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, kazu said:

This is going to sound awful, but I am kind of grateful there is a storm coming tomorrow and will have a valid excuse not to go to the hospital.  I really need a break to regroup.  DH has been deteriorating IMO and blasting me for things I have done (when I’m not there).  I’m hoping he is improved today.  If people ask me how he’s doing now, I just say “don’t ask”.  There is a box of Kleenex in the car for the way home when needed.  It will soon have to be replaced.  So, I probably won’t be saying much unless things improve.  I’ll just do some memes to keep in contact.

I am so sorry to hear this.  Please take care of yourself, and know that we are all here for you. Sending hugs.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

I confess to never having had poutine. Does reel film still exist? No to absinthe.

Good quote. Some people can't simplify because they don't understand well enough.

The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine.

I have been to Santiago, as it was the start of my SA/Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam in 2018. We left from Port San Antonio as there was a strike at Valparaiso that had become violent.

It will be a nice day here with temps into the 60's.

@grapau27 Prayers and hugs for you on the anniversary of your Dad's passing.

@kazu So sorry to hear that Jose has been having these issues that are so hard on you. Prayers that this improves and prayers for you to stay strong. Do take some time for yourself. I'm sure moving rooms is similar to sundowning in people with health issues (my Mother experienced that). (((HUGS))).

@aliaschief Bon Voyage!

@smitty34877 Oh no on waking up to no heat. I hear you about it taking a while to heat up; I have a boiler in this 115 year old 3-story house and it seems to only go up 1 degree/hour if the heat's been off.

@ger_77 Wow on the amount of snow you got! Kind of the neighbor to help by snow blowing, when the group didn't show up.

@mamaofami Good to hear that your PT is helping so much. And great that Sam was approved for another year of service; I hope you can find better aides.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy Birthday to your DH! Bon Voyage!

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine/refugees/helpers. A toast to the Celebration List.

Copied from my April 12 post.

View of Gran Torre Santiago

550518544_007-12_16.18SantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.8a73338cdc6d7b717c79e9b3ba91803e.jpg

Mary Statue, San Cristobal Hill, Santiago

1971580052_010-12_16.18-MaryStatueSanChristobalHillSantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.4784c3f3dab32aaefea198acf22a49fa.jpg

Monument to the indigenous people, Plaza de Armas, Santiago

1885988424_021-12_16.18MonumenttotheIndigenousPeoplePlazadeArmasSantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.0cc7ab23cb8b43f5d4d749f0b72fd5ce.jpg

Christmas tree in Plaza de Armas, Metropolitan Cathedral in back.

246942452_027-12_16.18ChristmasTreeinPlazadeArmasinfrontofMetropolitanCathedral(CatedralMetropolitana)SantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.4f453b33b0cfd987c057d6659a6115c7.jpg

Funicular San Cristobal Hill

612270563_033-12_16.18FunicularSanCristobalHillSantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.d6c7088f1dcc29efd7e8bc5d5251f280.jpg

The Zaandam in San Antonio

195817185_039-12_17.18BoardingtheHALZaandamforSAcruise.thumb.jpg.760aab91a158beefe3b3a54362a83fb1.jpg

Leaving the port

051 - 12.17.18 Port San Antonio, Chile.jpg

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

The sun is shining! I know that must sound strange to those of you in sunnier climes, but around here it's cause for celebration lol. It should get up to around 50F today.  I got a lot of gardening done yesterday -- those weeds get started early!

Today we'll be going down to see the grandsons.  It will be the first time we'll see them since their kitty passed.  DD said they had a little "funeral" for him, it sounds like the boys are focusing on the good memories.

I'll pass on the poutine.  The thought of gravy on fries is just ....icky to me.  DS loves it, he had it often when he traveled to Montreal for work pre-Covid.  I would try a small amount but can't imagine eating more than a bite.  

Love the quote by Einstein!  Although sometimes it seems that my 6-year-old grandson explains things to me instead of the other way around 😉  

The drink sounds good, but will pass on the red wine and the meal (mushrooms).  Have never been to the port, thank you for photos!

Yesterday I was able to talk to "Lubov", the Ukrainian grandma who was outside with one of the children.  I hadn't seen her since before Ukraine was invaded (I did see her daughter the day before).  She doesn't speak English as well as her daughter, but she has an app on her phone where we speak into it and it translates.  So I was able to learn that her son  is ok for now (he's near Poland) but her aunt, cousins and mother who is 92 all live in Kiev and are terrified.  We cried together and hugged.  I can't even imagine the worry and how helpless she feels.

@kazuJacqui I join all the others who say please take care of yourself.  You're wise to take the day "off", do something just for you even if it's to put your feet up and have a glass of wine.  

@grapau27Graham thinking of you as you remember your dear Dad today on the 10th anniversary.  In two days it will be 4 years since we lost my dear Dad.  

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda happy birthday to your DH!

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  Yes for gravy over fries but I’ve never had actual poutine. I like gravy in all forms though, I think it’s from living in a very small town out in the country. It was a way to stretch food. My favorite was when my DM would tear a piece of bread and put lots of gravy over— yum!

Love the quote. I like chicken Marsala but not sure about pork Marsala. 

It was super windy yesterday, always is before a change in the weather. It’s supposed to cool down a bit. 

Bruce @aliaschief & DW — enjoy your cruise and I hope you tell us all about it!  Bon Voyage!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser — Happy Birthday to DH!  And Bon Voyage!

Graham @grapau27 — blessings on your late father’s Remembrance Day. 

@Sea Viewer — Such good news about your DH doing better and I have to agree about the Tagaderm, it’s a miracle for abrasions. I keep it on hand all the time and even started traveling with some, just in case, you just never know. 

Have a great day everyone!!

Thank you so much for your kind best wishes.

I might not be able to post for a couple of days.

Graham.

• Like 17

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute Reel Film but pass on the Absinthe and the Poutine.  I love the Einstein quote.  Been to Valparaiso several times but just once to San Antonio, on the 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America.  The meal suggestion sounds good.  I'll post my alternative later because I think there's a story behind it.

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine
StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall
Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and procedure March 7
Tana with pneumonia
Sam’s awful string of aides
Lady Hudson DSIL recovering from stent placement
Cruzn Terri DH with abdominal pain and treatment delays
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
From the rotation:
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancer chemo
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

na0305.thumb.JPG.28aae830f4dc19c01fc6369a5721d1e2.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
Special status for Kazu
1 day for Aliaschief and dwaliaschief (Azamara quest to 3/17)
1 day for kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/16)
1 day for Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3)
7 days for Navybankermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19)
Welcome home Mr. Boston
NextOne packing supplies for Ukraine
ottahand7 4-star
ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6),  DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to  3/8) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

@rafinmd

I will post when I can.

Graham.

IMG-20220305-WA0001.jpg

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

The sun is shining! I know that must sound strange to those of you in sunnier climes, but around here it's cause for celebration lol. It should get up to around 50F today.  I got a lot of gardening done yesterday -- those weeds get started early!

Today we'll be going down to see the grandsons.  It will be the first time we'll see them since their kitty passed.  DD said they had a little "funeral" for him, it sounds like the boys are focusing on the good memories.

I'll pass on the poutine.  The thought of gravy on fries is just ....icky to me.  DS loves it, he had it often when he traveled to Montreal for work pre-Covid.  I would try a small amount but can't imagine eating more than a bite.  

Love the quote by Einstein!  Although sometimes it seems that my 6-year-old grandson explains things to me instead of the other way around 😉  

The drink sounds good, but will pass on the red wine and the meal (mushrooms).  Have never been to the port, thank you for photos!

Yesterday I was able to talk to "Lubov", the Ukrainian grandma who was outside with one of the children.  I hadn't seen her since before Ukraine was invaded (I did see her daughter the day before).  She doesn't speak English as well as her daughter, but she has an app on her phone where we speak into it and it translates.  So I was able to learn that her son  is ok for now (he's near Poland) but her aunt, cousins and mother who is 92 all live in Kiev and are terrified.  We cried together and hugged.  I can't even imagine the worry and how helpless she feels.

@kazuJacqui I join all the others who say please take care of yourself.  You're wise to take the day "off", do something just for you even if it's to put your feet up and have a glass of wine.  

@grapau27Graham thinking of you as you remember your dear Dad today on the 10th anniversary.  In two days it will be 4 years since we lost my dear Dad.  

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda happy birthday to your DH!

Hugs in 2 days time on your dad's 4th memory.

Sorry to hear about your grandsons cat.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211125_085547.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

@HAL4NOW wow! Quite the experience!  The only thing close I had was deep in Southern Italy we had the bank machine at the post office abort mid transaction.   When we tried again inside we were over our limit,  when we had Not gotten any money, our bank thought we had!  The post office manager would not speak to us, wouldn’t give me any record that I had not received the money.  Yet he opened the back of the offending machine.  This was in rural Italy, most spoke no English and there  can be a lot of corruption.  Finally we left without any documentation or money and drove to the local Carabinieri where I spoke through google translate, and then they accompanied me back to the post office  where the manager did speak to them!  I got the officers name and statement, like a police report.  
The  next day we were to fly to Venice via Rome, but there had been a big fire at the Rome airport  all flights were cancelled.  We had to take a direct last minute Ryan air that cost us 700 euro!  And travel via Treviso and a private transfer. And we couldn’t pay our apartment in Venice as we had no cash, luckily we were meeting DS there who loaned us the money.  Finally near Bologna,  I told my husband might as well rent a Ferrari as we had blown nearly 2000$ on nothing!  

And at home many months later got the money returned.  And our credit card covered the trip interruption and Ryanair flights! 

@ger_77 it was a local place, must be popular if it’s at New York fries! 

7627612E-9B50-4D30-B608-FF9845275B06.jpeg

I was on a train in the Rome terminal waiting to go to the airport when that fire happened. What a mess! The train station did a very good job keeping people informed, but when we could finally leave, it was a stampede - lol. I was flying out from the international terminal, but the shuttles were not running so had to walk. It was a looooong walk! Finally got on a flight at 6:30pm. Was not impressed with the United staff - some Al Italia staff finally helped out because the first international terminal building is just a big room with no amenities until you get past security. It was hot, crowded, no water, and really cranky people. Police showed up to keep the peace!

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Poutine is a great dish for cold weather. Like so many things, good poutine is fit for the gods, and bad poutine isn’t fit for the dogs. I’ve had both.

Bite your tongue.  LOL 😂 😉 I would NEVER feed bad poutine to my dog(s).  Never.  

The gravy in bad poutine is not healthy and loaded with salt.   But I agree with you - bad poutine is only fit for the compost bin. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon.  Things have finally settled down, except the wind.  This is the third two day dust storm in less than a month.  Fortunately, the wind is supposed to die down by the time we leave  in the morning.. All the suitcases are in the car except the last carry-on, which will go in in the morning.

I hope I didn't for get anyone.  @smitty34877, @irishjim, @JazzyV, @puppycanducruise, @bennybear, @Cruising-along, @Sharon in AZ, @kazu, @ger_77@grapau27 and @kb4683  DH and I thank all of your for the birthday wishes, and for the Bon Voyage wishes.  They are very much appreciated.

@LeDemonBlond  Welcome to the Daily.  We are a friendly bunch and hope you visit often.

@HAL4NOW  What a time you had.  Glad you made it to the hotel safely and got the money back from the credit card.

@bennybear  Brenda, what a mess with the ATM.  We've been lucky so far using ATMs abroad, and we always use one at a bank.

@Cruising-along  Glad you got to talk to the grandmother today, and that her son is all right.  Hope the family near Kyiv are all right.  I know they must be really frightened and stressed.  Hoping for the best for them.  Hope you had a good time with your DGSs.

@JazzyV Vanessa, thank you for your pictures.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Thank you for your pictures.  Loved the view of the mountains.  Enjoy the sunshine.

@grapau27  Graham, from the pictures and your comment, it looks like you and Pauline are sneaking away again.  Have fun.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, highscar said:

Reel films. I have a box full.  My dance recitals, my wedding, my children as youngsters. My long gone parents anniversaries   Etc etc. . I have the screen and projector but the bulb for it is no longer available. So they are deteriorating in a box.  

We have a lot of 8mm and super 8 movies we need to have digitized.  DH found a scanner that will do the job on Amazon.  It may seem a bit pricey, but after looking at what it would cost to have someone else do it, the price is not so bad.  The one he is looking at is Magnasonic Super 8/8 mm film scanner, and they have others too.  It might be worth checking out.

Lenda

• Like 12

We made it though there has already been a big snag. The J W Marriott had no clue about our reservation. They took care of it an our TA will be taking up the tab for transfer. Evidently Azamara changed Marriotts’s and we were never notified.This Marriott honored and took care of us and honored pre pay. Had a nice dinner and now in for the night and early bed.

Life is good!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Yay on Sam being approved 👍 I hope you can find a much better agency with much better aides 🤞 

Hope your DH has a great birthday today and an even better celebration in the PG tomorrow night!

3559072B-2375-4446-B539-6123E8752941.jpeg.9909b33f3293438fe764b545294d464d.jpeg

You may be right as there are cheese factories in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.  Curd is delicious IMO!  It’s a byproduct when cheese is being made and if you are lucky enough to be close to a cheese factory / outlet, fresh cheese curd is to die for 🙂. Not all like the bagged stuff you see in the grocery stores 😉 

How nice that you were able to communicate.  I’m sure she appreciated your concern, tears and hugs.  I can’t blame her family for being terrified.  Her fear and helplessness for those she loves must be overwhelming 💔 

Personally, I wouldn’t base my opinion on poutine from the stuff Costco serves.  I know a lot of people eat it but honestly for me, there are a lot better places for poutine than Costco.  JMO.

Yikes on your snow, Gerry 😔. Glad you stayed in and safe.  I always find it amazing how many idiots there are on the road when there is snow.  Like you, it’s not like we haven’t had it before 😉 

@aliaschief You are on your way!  Bon Voyage 🚢 🙂 

Too many people to list but thank you very much for all of your kind words.  They are very much appreciated.  I do think his nurse was relieved to see me this morning LOL.  I was later than I like getting home and Bless Marley - he tore out to go having held it patiently.  What a good dog.

Take care Jacqui!

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

@rafinmd

I will post when I can.

Graham.

IMG-20220305-WA0001.jpg

Hmmm, I see a secret escape happening.  Enjoy your cruise!  I promise I won't tell Pauline!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, garlictown said:

🛳️Late greetings for both @aliaschief and @Quartzsite Cruiser on their upcoming cruises!🚢

🎂Also, best wishes to @Quartzsite Cruiserfor DH. 🎂

Katie

20220305_183806.jpg

Katie, thank you for the Bon Voyage wishes, and the birthday wishes for DH.

53 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Bon voyage, @Quartzsite Cruiserand @aliaschief.

Lenda, it’s my understanding you’re doing B2Bs with multiple San Diego stops.  If you guys need anything when in SD, give a shout-out.  I know you two are a self-sufficient couple, but still, we’re here.

Have fun!
Maxine

Thank you for the Bon Voyage wishes.  Maxine you for your kind offer.  If something happens and we need help, we'll certainly let you know.  We'll probably stay on the ship on the turnaround days.

We will be on for four cruises, and it looks like the ship will not be anywhere near full.  It would be great if you could join us on one or more cruises.  @Live4cruises will also be on the March 27 California Coastal cruise.

Lenda

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser, bon voyage!  We can’t wait to be aboard!

@AncientWanderer, it would be so much fun if you joined us!

Best!

Thanks for the Bon Voyage wishes.   We need to figure out where we can meet on the cruise.

It would be nice if @AncientWanderer could join us, or any other Dailyites.  The more the merrier.

Lenda 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Katie, thank you for the Bon Voyage wishes, and the birthday wishes for DH.

Thank you for the Bon Voyage wishes.  Maxine you for your kind offer.  If something happens and we need help, we'll certainly let you know.  We'll probably stay on the ship on the turnaround days.

We will be on for four cruises, and it looks like the ship will not be anywhere near full.  It would be great if you could join us on one or more cruises.  @Live4cruises will also be on the March 27 California Coastal cruise.

Lenda

I thought it was three.  Four is awesome!  Duty calls here or we sure would jump onboard.  Have a great time!

• Like 2