Oceanview Buffet Extravaganza

mbddisney

I've been on Celebrity cruises for years and I've never heard of it and it's never appeared in the dailies. Of course I could be wrong. I generally try to stay away for the buffet. Except for salads, I think the food is awful.

• Haha 1

On our Apex cruise last October, it was the last sea day, which was the day before disembarking.  Lots of meat options to be grilled as ordered, mounds of steamed shrimp, charcuterie, chocolate fountain and other “special “ desserts, I.e. cannoli and other Mediterranean

194B4126-73FE-42E8-B296-A5F0B2029C7B.thumb.jpeg.e3deb4bd6d5ea1c9ffc01ad2f1d8355c.jpeg

CDD4C1A1-BA96-4781-8DAA-83E81EF988F8.jpeg

FD734E39-A21B-44EB-AE93-5BFC8F4D0DB1.jpeg

DB8DF438-89DB-42F1-8D4A-89F339A56D43.jpeg

D89F1EAB-F5FC-4CB7-86C7-C5F0522C70EF.jpeg

Edited by bama4cruisin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The buffet extravaganza replaced the Grand Brunch which was a feeding free for all.

On each of our cruises since the restart the buffet extravaganza has been held on the last sea day.   They do not really  promote it.  On each of the cruises they were carving beef, pork and turkey and all the sides.  There was large peel & eat shrimp,  a ice sculpture or 2, lots of desserts, cook to order meat and fish.  I didn't see the chocolate fountain at any of them.

I think they may low key it as the previous version in the MDR was really crazy, people pushing, shoving and arguing over a place to sit.

By not making  a big deal of people flow in and out and not mad rush when the doors open.

• Like 3

I remember backing 2019 they had a special "Cake Extravaganza" on one day near the end of the cruise.   They had the Chocolate Fountain as well as about 30-40 types of cakes and deserts.  

I may just have missed it but didn't recall seeing in on our September and October cruises.  

image.png.4645e7c749c41546f7f5b9f92a619f4d.png

image.png.788390313164cb1a05dbfa6ebf3010d5.png

• Like 3

I haven't cruised since the famous Eclipse around South America, Mar 2020.  They had one on there and it was amazing.  They even had Sangria for everyone.  Chocolate fountain too.  of course they were doing their best to keep us all happy.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mbddisney said:

I keep hearing about this does anyone know what day they usually do it!! 

There has been  a special luncheon on the last sea day.  There are special fruit and ice carvings, more desserts than usual,  chocolate fountain, cocktail shrimp,  extra carving stations, etc.  It is held in the Oceanview Cafe.  This is different from the event that used to be held in the MDR.  They did allow cruisers to come in early to take photos.

45 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The buffet extravaganza replaced the Grand Brunch which was a feeding free for all.

On each of our cruises since the restart the buffet extravaganza has been held on the last sea day.   They do not really  promote it.  On each of the cruises they were carving beef, pork and turkey and all the sides.  There was large peel & eat shrimp,  a ice sculpture or 2, lots of desserts, cook to order meat and fish.  I didn't see the chocolate fountain at any of them.

I think they may low key it as the previous version in the MDR was really crazy, people pushing, shoving and arguing over a place to sit.

By not making  a big deal of people flow in and out and not mad rush when the doors open.

The relatively few buffet slobs are enough to make it a ridiculous madhouse for the rest of the respectful people 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

I've been on Celebrity cruises for years and I've never heard of it and it's never appeared in the dailies. Of course I could be wrong. I generally try to stay away for the buffet. Except for salads, I think the food is awful.

I'm not fond of the buffet food either, however, I have stopped by to get cheese and crackers to take to my cabin to enjoy with wine on the balcony. 

They have had the Extravaganza on all of my cruises- it is listed in the Dailys under the restaurants-you have to look for it!  And yes, it is the last sea day lunch.  It is worth going to look at even if you don't want to eat. IMO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Re buffet food, the pasta station is one of my favorites, basically a made to order dish..

Fresh cooked over easy eggs are the best on the ship for breakfast.  

Just off the Constellation and the pasta station was wonderful. I took the fresh mozzarella off of the buffet and added it to the pasta, and it was delicious.

Also love the fresh panini's at lunch.

I have to say I am not a buffet person at all, but I tried different things this trip and they were all delicious.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 5:31 PM, Guppy99 said:

g - in what context do you consider OVC's food to be awful?

bon appetit and bon voyage

19 hours ago, TeeRick said:

In all my Celebrity cruises I never knew about this.  Old dog learning new tricks here.

Young pup, to cruising basically, learning tricks here... LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage