The Daily for Tuesday 03/15/2022

richwmn

18 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Interesting group of days today.  Not sure about the quote.  The meal looks so good.  We have been to today's desination, but not on a ship.

@aliaschiefyour photo's and descriptions of your cruise has me looking into that cruise line.

@cat shepardyour meme's are so true for today.

@grapau27your adventure photo's are just fabulous.

@marshhawkwe are here for you to  vent...anytime.

Prayers and toasts to all of us!

Stay safe and wear your mask if you want!!

Dads Bourbon Mary:

Ingredients
2 parts Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
1/4 part Jalapeño Juice
1/2 part Bloody Mary Mix
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
2 dashes Celery Bitters
2 dashes Tabasco® Hot Sauce
Cracked
Pepper, Black
Rim Glass with
Black Sea Salt
Garnish with
Bacon
Garnish with
Basil Leaves
Garnish with
Lemon Wedges

Instructions
*Use bottled Bloody Mary Mix of your choice or Homemade Bloody Mary Mix: ¼ part Tomato Juice ¼ part Beef Stock ½ tsp. Horseradish
Add Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon, jalapeño juice, Bloody Mary mix, lemon juice, celery bitters, Tabasco®, cracked black pepper and ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass rimmed with black sea salt. Garnish with a slice of cooked bacon, clapped basil leaf and a lemon wedge.

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 9.09.44 AM.png

Thank you for your kind words.

Graham.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

You are so close yet so far today from the Volendam and Zaandam.  Don't tell Pauline but I think I know what ship you are on.  Enjoy your last few days.

Roy

Thank you Roy.

I can see the Volendam docked near the bridge.

Graham.

16473515172874310041363175306028.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach.

I think with all the rain we have had lately, that our drought must be over.  

I love the quote, nothing is more relaxing than a nice cup of tea and a good book. 

Buzzards are ugly but necessary.

Never been to todays port. I am cooking our corn beef today, because Thursday will be busy. We have had a lot going on lately, ( ALL GOOD) so have been kept quite busy. 

My great exciting news for the day is I read that Australia is opening to cruise ships on April 17th.! So excited, looks like our cruise in October will go. Now I can really get into planning. I was hesitant to book much because of fear of yet another cancellation.

Prayers for everyone on the list and not.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Well, grocery store is not an option today.  I ended up letting DH sleep until 9, figure that the more sleep he gets, the better he'll feel  and quieter the house is.  He did check with the dr's office and he can take the antibiotics and still get the colonoscopy.  So many early mornings starting tomorrow.

Several years ago, i noticed a buzzard circling our neighbor's house across the street.  Looking down the hill, I saw a possum running around in circles, then back tracking and running the other way, back and forth, and the whole time the buzzard was waiting for the right moment.  DH called animal control who showed up within minutes, and the man harnessed the possum,, threw it into the truck and took it away.  DH asked him if this was normal behavior.  The man from animal control said not normal, but he had been seeing a lot of it recently.

One time in Cedar Key, DH and I came upon a flock of them munching on road kill, along with three eagles.  I lost a lot of respect for the eagle, but it turns out they are very opportunistic.  They will eat along with the buzzards, and turns out they are not very strong hunters.  Also, if you were Northern Exposure fans, that cry of the eagle, is actually a hawk.

We see the buzzards over head every day, flying and sailing in the currents.  But way up, not looking for their next meal. 😸

I would rather see this type of Buzzards-

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

We are having a warm up here in Ohio.  It got up to 60 yesterday and is supposed to reach 56F today.  I'll take it!  

Today's meal sounds scrumptious.  I'll do it on some zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.   This first recipe makes my mouth water.  Think of the shrimp with all that nice butter, garlic, and lemon flavors.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/shrimp-scampi-with-linguini-recipe-1942429

949996817_shrimpscampipasta1.jpeg.3f899485c60536951c6bc4aeff456c2e.jpeg

This next one has slightly different seasoning and it points out that yes, you can make substitutions.  If  you don't want to  use the wine, use chicken broth.  If you don't like spicy, leave out or greatly reduce the red pepper flakes.  You won't hurt the dish.  You'll create something that is totally to your liking!   https://thestayathomechef.com/shrimp-scampi/

1296622104_shrimpscampipasta2.thumb.jpg.3d8b6b504f2d8442854374a120862ccc.jpg

This next recipe uses vermouth to deglaze the pan instead of the white wine.  There are also some other suggestions for changing things up a bit.   https://www.seriouseats.com/shrimp-scampi-pasta

398215250_shrimpscampipasta3.thumb.jpg.3587dd2b78dd9ffb39d316bd5ae29690.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  We need more of that!   Wishing you all the best of days.  

Those look really good!!!! I would have reduce carbs, but I think I will give these a try.

Susan

• Like 18

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺GOODMORNING FROM CARTAGENA!!!

Our BHB My Sweet Eurodam in port today with us! They depart At I:00 today.

🌺🌺🌺

Mahalo DAILYITES!

PS 90 degrees and humidity is 😓

we’re off to walk the promenade or try doing our exercise today!

Denise ☺️

image.thumb.jpeg.ef6d9c9d019f7c1e54ceffd83ae537b5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3b38be49f628abd90c99168f725acdb8.jpeg

• Like 33

Good morning to all. Hope you are having a good day. I am off to the shelter - the roofing starts today!!! Or at least it is supposed to.

Love the meal of the day.... and all the pictures of food that are being posted. My meals are not that elegant by any means. But my day will come.

Yesterday was not a good day. I had appointments for some tests. "just take about 90 minutes" they said. "Remember to fast" they said. First appointment was 10:30..... and it alone took well over 4 and 1/2 hours. I was exhausted by the time I got home close supper time....not to mention very, very hungry. I had to restrain myself from eating everything in the house. So now I wait results. At least I can eat while I am waiting. I did sleep well last night, but after the shelter today I am going to have to do some heavy house cleaning including the bathrooms. Not an exciting day. But the house is long overdue. But on the plus side.... I think I feel Spring in the air...... maybe.

Hope Tana responds to the new antibiotics and the Jen gets settled comfortably into the new facility. And of course my continuing best wishes to Jacqui, Jose, and Marley and everyone else.

Susan

Susan

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Interesting collection of days. Love the quote and the meal sounds great.

The plan right now is to drive home Thursday night. Of course this subject to change.

Praying things are looking up for our friends here... @StLouisCruisers, @kazu, @Cruzin Terri, @mamaofami, @marshhawk to name a few.

Wishing each of you a terrific Tuesday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning All,

We have the makings of a lovely day. It got to 81 yesterday.🥴 And the weatherman says there is a CHANCE of “precipitation” Sunday. It seems that word, “precipitation”, really means a heavy dew. We could really use some rain. Real rain. The only rain we have gotten was around Christmas, and one short, rogue storm of hail, that lacerated my cannas and passion fruit. 

We have Turkey Vultures here, that get mistaken for buzzards. Occasionally I see them on a tree, or fence post on my rides. They are normally soaring over certain areas around here. On the wing, they’re majestic; on the tree, not so much.

@dfish I copied the recipe for future use. It will go over a tasty spaghetti squash for our table, also.

@ger_77 I’m taking inspiration from you and plan to put together wreaths with yellow and blue flowers in support of the Ukraine 🇺🇦 today. 

Paid $5.39 for gas Sunday at Costco. I’ve seen as high as $6.79 locally. So I’m hoping we’ll have less traffic, and (therefore) will start riding Kate ( my Dutch transport bike) again. And that means all grocery shopping will be done at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s, where they have reasonable bike stations and a safe route to get there. (I’m really tired of how our State and local governments treat bicyclists as sacrificial offerings. They recently created a “ bike lane” on several major streets, which is expected to be shared with traffic that has a speed limit of 45 mph. Shared! It’s a single lane with a picture of a bike stenciled in green. Needless to say, I don’t take that route. </rant>)

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 26

Good morning all!

Another rainy day, and small chance for thunderstorms tonight.  I doubt that will happen, but we'll see...

Not a fan of buzzards, but know they're useful.  It reminded me of when we saw them all over the rooftop of a hotel in NC when we were on a road trip last fall.  Very creepy 🙂  When we checked in, DH (jokingly) asked the woman at the counter if she knew they had buzzards.  She laughed and said they're there every day.

I love shrimp scampi, but will pass on the drink and wine.  We've been to Santa Barbara once on a Pacific Coastal cruise in 2017.  I only have a couple photos, taken on our walk from the rental car facility back to the port.  We rented a car and drove to Simi Valley to spend the day with DS and DDIL so really didn't see much of Santa Barbara.  

@smitty34877I'm sorry Tana had a bad reaction to that antibiotic.  Thank goodness the nurse was there.

@StLouisCruisersvery good news that Jen has a place to go after being discharged from the hospital.  This has made me very curious, because our hospital won't release a patient unless they can show they have a place to go -- the differences around the country are astounding. Also a big congratulations to your DGS winning the 3 soccer games in the tournament!!

@marshhawkfeel free to vent here anytime, we're here for you! 

Here are the only photos I have of Santa Barbara.

On our walk from the rental car facility

1108296579_SantaBarbara.jpg.24dacf69c621904b0bee479d73178651.jpg

2047783529_sailboats.jpg.3e8095d5e912672dd86691bf7e7437d0.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all! We have vultures here, the cousin of the buzzard who inherited the family looks and profession. Dumbstruck Day and Everything I Think is Wrong belong together, and pair nicely with the world of the past two years. We have been to Santa Barbara once, and I was very taken by it. Particularly, I enjoyed the air there that is an interesting blend of sea air and the dry mountain sage air from the Santa Ynez mountains.

So - yesterday I booked a cruise for the end of April! HAL has a 72 hour sale on, which included a round trip Vancouver Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam. Instead of flying, we just use long term parking near the airport and take the Skytrain to the cruise terminal. We are trying out one of those deck 4 obstructed view cabins with the floor to ceiling windows. I’ve always been intrigued by those. We got it for the same price as an inside, with gratuities included, ridiculously cheap. And no flights. I’m very excited.

Prayers to all in our Daily Family who need them today, and may the day bring strength and healing. 
Happy Tuesday, everyone. Here’s to getting to board a BHB months earlier than I thought!

C6D01236-3291-4100-A05F-9A32DDEA0160.thumb.jpeg.ec9fd049e115f2bf8b2f92a51e3a99dc.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday!  I missed the Daily yesterday and will catch up later. Spent yesterday with DH, we try to either go out on Friday or Monday since he is off but those also happen to be the best days for DM’s appointments. 

The meal suggestion is really good but I think we are having something else today. I’ve never heard of the drink, sounds unusual. The quote resembles DH. 

We are slowly planning details for our Med cruise. Lots of little things to take care of. 

Prayers to those on the Care list. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22

Good morning all and Thank you Rich , Roy and all contributors for the Daily News ! 

We had an anxious 15 minutes this morning waiting for the verdict at the local drugstore while getting our Antigen test done ………and voila we both were negative !!!!!!!            Never knew that being negative gave us such a good feeling , so why do people say don’t be so negative ………….just kidding  , we are now on our way to the airport and will get on board the Nieuw Statendam tomorrow afternoon probably a little later than anticipated .

Take Care everybody , hopefully soon it will be your turn to be negative and cruise again ! 

Tony 😍
  • Like 30
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@Horizon chaser 1957Congrats on the Alaska cruise. What long-term parking lot do you use? We plan to drive up from Seattle for our cruise and do the Skytrain but have no idea where the best option for parking is located. Thanks!

We use Value Long Term parking at Vancouver airport. If you book online beforehand it’s a LOT cheaper. There’s a Skytrain station, Templeton Station,  right in the lot.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. Beware the Ides of March!

Strange days. Not a fan of buzzards, and I'll pass on being dumbstruck today or having everything I think be wrong.

Fun quote, but make it coffee for me. I like the meal, but would use zoodles in lieu of pasta. Pass on the drink but I'll take the wine (a bit pricey for me).

I've never been to Santa Barbara.

A partly cloudy day here, with temps around 60. My eyes are bothering me today; not a flare of uveitis, but I have a lot of eye pain many days. I see the Ophthalmologist next week. And still battling the plantar fasciitis.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, you and Marley.

@aliaschief That food looks wonderful.

@grapau27 Enjoy Cadiz, even in the rain.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad to hear that DH doesn't have melanoma!

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear Tana had a reaction to the change in antibiotic, and thank goodness the nurse was due to come yesterday. I guess you never know with a new medication. Prayers for you all.

@StLouisCruisers It is great that Buddy is home and Jen will be going to a facility; prayers that they both improve. Congrats to Ren and his team for the wins!

@mamaofami Nice that Sam got to go out and socialize a bit.

@ger_77 Woohoo! Don't spend it all at once, lol.

Prayers for the Care List, Ukraine and it's people and helpers. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Prayers for all who are in need — especially the people of Ukraine.

Got a haircut today in preparation for 2 weeks on Anthem of the Seas starting on Sunday.  Still much to do.  And still asking for prayers for DSIL who is having issues from stent surgery.  We decided to continue with our trip since there is really nothing we can do and visitors are limited.  

Lovely weather here in SE PA.  Hope it continues.  Katherine 

• Like 26

Remember yesterday when I said Jen has a place to go from the hospital, just has to get the insurance approval.  

DB says Humana denied skilled nursing because she only needs assistance with ADL  (assistance with daily living).  Jen can dress and feed herself and brush her teeth, but needs help with everything else.   And the leasing office at her apartment says they can't transfer her to a street level entrance apartment or she would have to pay for both places.  How does any of this make sense?  

Jen's Mom lives near her but I have no clue what her living space is like.  DB lives a good distance from Jen and he himself is disabled and uses a cane.  Jen and her Mom and stepdad all moved back to St. Louis last year from the Chicago area, to be closer to Jen's Grandma because she is aging and needs help too.  And Jen's Mom helps Jen out quite a bit so that's why they all moved here together.

I don't know what's gonna happen next, but they are rather busy now so he's not getting back to me quickly with all my questions.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 15