Shade on deck?

luv2ndhalf

I’m a shade sitter….

Just curious if there are any cruise lines that help passengers reserve shade spots? Not necessarily renting a cabana, but even a lounge with an umbrella? We sail Celebrity and enjoy the retreat area, but limited shade…. I find myself getting anxious on sea days about finding a spot (and not wanting to go on deck at 7:00 am for a chair) Thanks!

Wanting a particular spot - be it near the pool, in the the sun, in the shade, wherever - is a question for everyone.

You either take your chances like every civilized cruiser and hope that you will find the chair you want when you want it, or you join the chair hogs and leave some of your crap on the chair you want in the place you want it in expectation that everyone will respect your self-centered approach to life on board ship.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:09 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Wanting a particular spot - be it near the pool, in the the sun, in the shade, wherever - is a question for everyone.

You either take your chances like every civilized cruiser and hope that you will find the chair you want when you want it, or you join the chair hogs and leave some of your crap on the chair you want in the place you want it in expectation that everyone will respect your self-centered approach to life on board ship.

Move a chair to the shady spot.   Look for place not in use/less crowded, that is what we do.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering two cruises in the Mediterranean in November / December going West to East.

Also one in May / June going East to West.

For the Nov / Dec one would like our balcony on the more sunny side of the ship.

For May / Jun one would like our balcony on the more shady side of the ship.

For the Nov / Dec one I thought Starboard side.

For the May / Jun one I thought Port side.

Is this correct, or have I got it the wrong way round ?

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

I am considering two cruises in the Mediterranean in November / December going West to East.

For the Nov / Dec one would like our balcony on the more sunny side of the ship.

Thanks.

What is the actual itinerary? If you embark and disembark at the same port you'll be sailing an equal number of days in each direction.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

What is the actual itinerary? If you embark and disembark at the same port you'll be sailing an equal number of days in each direction.

Not if they are going east to west or west or west to east, as stated. -- 

For November-December the starboard side would be sunnier ; and pretty much any time of year the southern side  is likelier to be sunnier - so when sailing east to west the starboard side is likelier to be shadier.  As far north of the equator as the Med is -- the southern side of the ship, whether sailing east or west, is likelier to be sunnier near noon when it would matter most.

Edited by navybankerteacher

On 4/15/2022 at 12:20 AM, luv2ndhalf said:

I’m a shade sitter….

Just curious if there are any cruise lines that help passengers reserve shade spots? Not necessarily renting a cabana, but even a lounge with an umbrella? We sail Celebrity and enjoy the retreat area, but limited shade…. I find myself getting anxious on sea days about finding a spot (and not wanting to go on deck at 7:00 am for a chair) Thanks!

If yo choose to sail on a smaller, more elegant (and probably more expensive) ship, there is rarely a shortage of any sort of space for anyone. You won’t have to be anxious or worried about getting what you want, when and where you want.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Thanks.

Heading East in NOV/DEC the starboard side will be on the south and sunnier.

Heading West in MAY/JUN the starboard side will be on the north and shadier.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

If yo choose to sail on a smaller, more elegant (and probably more expensive) ship, there is rarely a shortage of any sort of space for anyone. You won’t have to be anxious or worried about getting what you want, when and where you want.

Being on a smaller luxury ship does help but shade can still be a challenge.  Of course you could cruise on some of the Seabourn ships that have their Retreat. and pay $250 extra per day for guaranteed shade.

Hank

On 4/14/2022 at 10:09 AM, navybankerteacher said:

If chair hogs try to reserve the spots that you want and they don't come back in 15 or 20 minutes, give their stuff to the ship staff or turn it into lost and found and just sit down.  When they come back an hour or two later and find their spot taken just play ignorant and tell them to check with ship staff as to where their stuff might be.

DON

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Being on a smaller luxury ship does help but shade can still be a challenge.  Of course you could cruise on some of the Seabourn ships that have their Retreat. and pay $250 extra per day for guaranteed shade.

Hank

Lounging on your bed (as in napping) in an air-conditioned cabin is always guaranteed shade - and a lot cheaper!

On 4/27/2022 at 8:32 PM, BruceMuzz said:

Space isn't the issue. It's shade. Does being on a smaller ship create shade where there isn't any?

27 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Space isn't the issue. It's shade. Does being on a smaller ship create shade where there isn't any?

Because generally the smaller ships have more space per individual passenger, it is likely that there would also be more shady space per passenger.

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

Shade can be increased based on the ship's design, but smaller ships have less pax vying for the shade areas. On our preferred smaller ship cruise line, I have never seen a shortage of space in the shade.

You  can usually find a chair somehwere in the in the shade or sun (not necessarily in the same spot all of the time).  It's been  a LONG time since any line "reserved" (and there was a charge) deck chairs.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:20 AM, luv2ndhalf said:

I’m a shade sitter….

I cannot be in the sun that much because I tend to get skin cancer.I have never been on a cruise where I could not find a shady area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1