Worried booked flights same day

San01

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

.I've been right through Oceana's UK terms & conditions, and nowhere can I see that extract.

Can you post a link?

Here are  Oceana's UK terms for included air travel, pasted it in full.

Flights
In accordance with EU Directive (EC) No 2111/2005, we are required to bring to your attention the existence of a “Community list” which contains details of air carriers that are subject to an operating ban within the EU Community. The Community list is available for inspection at http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/safety/air-ban/. We are required to advise you of the carrier(s) (or, if the carrier(s) is not known, the likely carrier(s)) that will operate your flight(s) at the time of booking if your holiday is flight inclusive. Where we are only able to inform you of the likely carrier(s) at the time of booking, we will inform you of the identity of the actual carrier(s) as soon as we become aware of this. Any change to the operating carrier(s) after your booking has been confirmed will be notified to you as soon as possible. We are not always in a position at the time of booking to confirm your flight timings. Our free economy flights are allocated within 2 working days and an air itinerary will be sent to confirm these details. The flight timings on your confirmation invoice are for guidance only and are subject to alteration and confirmation. The latest timings will be shown on your Cruise Vacation Summary (E-Tickets) which will be emailed to you or your Travel Agent at 21 days before departure. You must accordingly check your tickets very carefully immediately on receipt to ensure you have the correct flight times. It is possible that flight times may be changed even after tickets are made available – we will contact you as soon as possible if this occurs. Any change in the identity of the carrier, your departure airport, flight routing or flight timings will not entitle you to cancel or change to other arrangements without paying our normal charges except where specified in these Booking Conditions. If the carrier with whom you have a confirmed reservation becomes subject to an operating ban as above as a result of which we/the carrier are unable to offer you a suitable alternative the provisions of clause 9 (Changes and cancellation by us) will apply. It is the responsibility of the Guest to a) check their baggage allowance for all flights; if you are booked on different carrier(s) or in a different class of travel to/from the ship, your baggage allowance may differ between flights – please ensure you check the airline websites of each carrier in your itinerary; b) check the departure and arrival terminals of all flights; c) ensure you arrive at check-in and departure gate by the appropriate time with all proper and necessary documentation. Due to airline restrictions, we are not always authorised to pre-reserve seats for our Guests. We are not responsible for pre-assigned seating prior to flight departures for any reason. Guests are advised to contact the airline(s) directly to confirm pre-assigned seating. Some airlines will allow pre-assigned seating requests only once the ticket has been issued and may make an additional charge for this service. Airline tickets can only be issued on receipt of full payment for the cruise holiday. We/the airline will endeavour to satisfy any special service(s) requests such as adding frequent flyer numbers, requesting special meals or mobility assistance. Some airlines restrict the accumulation and/or use of frequent flyer miles in conjunction with the fares we use. Guests are at all times responsible for paying all service fees imposed by the airlines. These fees are at all times non-refundable. Please note, you are subject to and bound by the terms and conditions of the airline which operates your flight. These can be viewed on the airline’s website. If you breach or fail to comply with the airline’s terms and conditions or become liable to make any payment to the airline and the airline as a result seeks payment of any sum from us, we will be entitled to claim that payment from you. Airlines limit their liability in accordance with applicable international convention and regulation.

JB 🙂

I used the address you posted https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/ and the the section I posted above (from what I saw in your link) is different than the US text but still means “no liability.”   You may want to peruse that UK Ticket Contract document version as well.

And note that the quote that you posted above does not address O’s liability other than to say

Please note, you are subject to and bound by the terms and conditions of the airline which operates your flight. These can be viewed on the airline’s website. If you breach or fail to comply with the airline’s terms and conditions or become liable to make any payment to the airline and the airline as a result seeks payment of any sum from us, we will be entitled to claim that payment from you. Airlines limit their liability in accordance with applicable international convention and regulation.

Enough for me.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

On 4/16/2022 at 11:25 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I have been on a number of sailings (from US and European ports) where departure from port of embarkation was delayed substantially -- with the reason given was that certain flights carrying passengers had been delayed --- and the most likely reason for the line to even be aware that prospective passengers were even on those flights is most likely to have been that they had been put on those flights by the cruise line.

Don't most, if not all, cruise lines ask when you fill out your documents for your incoming flight? They could very well see that there is a delayed flight with multiple booked passengers aboard.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Don't most, if not all, cruise lines ask when you fill out your documents for your incoming flight? They could very well see that there is a delayed flight with multiple booked passengers aboard.

Having sailed Cunard, HAL, NCL, Princess, Crystal, Azamera, Orient, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Seabourn,  Carnival, Regent, etc  MSC, Oceania - among others - , I do not recall having ever experienced a cruise line inquiring about how I was getting to the port of embarkation. 

Edited by navybankerteacher

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Having sailed Cunard, HAL, NCL, Princess, Crystal, Azamera, Orient, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Seabourn,  Carnival, Regent, etc  MSC, Oceania - among others - , I do not recall having ever experienced a cruise line inquiring about how I was getting to the port of embarkation. 

HAL asks during the check in process.

197019966_Screenshot2022-04-18234623.thumb.jpg.ff5f6df1737767d8fbe9763bdf63cd0f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Interesting -- I last sailed HAL in 2018 (Westerdam, I believe) - San Diego to Hawaii, and Zuiderdam in 2017 Quebec to NYC - and I really do not recall any such inquiry.

We cruise with many different lines (16 to date) and some ask for flight info while others could care less.  Some CC posters paint with a very broad brush without acknowledging that there are many differences between the various cruise lines.

Hank

22 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thanks for jogging my memory.  I do recall that when I last flew to board a HAL cruise.  That was a 2018 cruise.  The last time that I flew to board any cruise was a Princess cruise in July, 2019.  I am 99% sure that such a question was asked during the check-in process.  

23 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

197019966_Screenshot2022-04-18234623.thumb.jpg.ff5f6df1737767d8fbe9763bdf63cd0f.jpg

I just did the online check in for my first HAL cruise and it was the first time ever I had to put in all my flight info for a cruise, and I'm flying in a day early. I really wanted to put "non of your business" but that wasn't an option.

2 hours ago, electro said:

I just did the online check in for my first HAL cruise and it was the first time ever I had to put in all my flight info for a cruise, and I'm flying in a day early. I really wanted to put "non of your business" but that wasn't an option.

You should have. It’s nothing but a gimmick since delayed/cancelled flights are your problem.

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

It's not a gimmick. Besides helping with disembarking planning,  it helps with contact tracing in the case of a disaster. 

Why ever would a smart cruise line ask for disembarkation flight info before the cruise commences? Given the constantly changing landscape for air arrangements, smart lines will ask for that info closer to the end of a cruise when your final plans for flight home are  confirmed.

Even then, a cruise line should only be interested in the flight info of passengers who have booked their flights via the cruise line.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:07 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Seabourn,  I do not recall having ever experienced a cruise line inquiring about how I was getting to the port of embarkation. 

Every time I sail on Seabourn when doing my pre-registration I have to fill in how I am getting to embarkation. And I have done many sailings with them. No big deal to me.

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You should have. It’s nothing but a gimmick since delayed/cancelled flights are your problem.

Perhaps that is the case with your favorite cruise line but it is not so with some other lines.  We have been on at least two lines which delayed embarkation departures because one or more passengers were late to arrive due to delayed flights.  I still recall one specific HAL cruise from Ft Lauderdale that delayed its departure about 3 hours to wait for only two passengers (the Captain made several announcements to keep folks informed).   While that is not the norm it does happen.  That particular HAL cruise was departing on a “ crossing” and the Captain was easily able to make up the lost time.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps that is the case with your favorite cruise line but it is not so with some other lines.  We have been on at least two lines which delayed embarkation departures because one or more passengers were late to arrive due to delayed flights.  I still recall one specific HAL cruise from Ft Lauderdale that delayed its departure about 3 hours to wait for only two passengers (the Captain made several announcements to keep folks informed).   While that is not the norm it does happen.  That particular HAL cruise was departing on a “ crossing” and the Captain was easily able to make up the lost time.

Hank

That a Master chose to wait when s/he had no expectation/requirement to do so does not change the fact that it’s still a passenger’s responsibility and potential problem.

14 hours ago, electro said:

What would a passenger enter if they happened to live in the port of embarkation, or were planning to drive, or were staying with friends in the area?

“none of your business” might not be an option, but “not applicable” surely would be. 

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

What would a passenger enter if they happened to live in the port of embarkation, or were planning to drive, or were staying with friends in the area?

“none of your business” might not be an option, but “not applicable” surely would be. 

Question: "are you taking a flight to get to the cruise?"  Therefore answer is "NO".

Question: "are you taking a flight at the end of the cruise?"  Therefore answer is again "No".

Really clever interrogation on these forms! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The Travel Information section of the Princess Medallion app has the intro  "Provide the details of your arrival and departure travel arrangements to ensure your travel is not in conflict with your journey."  In the pre-app days with the on-line Cruise Personalizer, I remember posters saying they received an immediate message when air reservations conflicted with the Princess recommended timing. 

The travel type choices are numerous: Air, Share Ride, Taxi, Private Car, Rental Car, Family Pick-up, Private Group Motorcoach, Pre-paid Princess Transfer, Local Bus Transfer and Train.  We drove to our last two cruises so we chose Private Car and entered our anticipated arrival time and the desired departure time (after 9 am).  On both cruises we were assigned a departure time after 9 am. 

Edited by capriccio

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps that is the case with your favorite cruise line but it is not so with some other lines.  We have been on at least two lines which delayed embarkation departures because one or more passengers were late to arrive due to delayed flights.

We have experienced the same on Princess multiple times including our first Princess cruise.  The captain announced that there were over 60 passengers on a late arriving flight into Vancouver, some with Princess EZ-Air (Princess would have to get them to the next port - Ketchikan) and some not (who would have been on their own to get to Ketchikan).  He kept us informed through the entire process (the plane has landed, the passengers are through customs, the passengers are on the transfer buses, they have arrived at Canada Place, they are on board and the lines are off). We were impressed.

We have also been on ships with delayed departures out of Port Everglades a few times due to late arrivals (anywhere from 2 to 10 passengers).  On Caribbean cruises that often isn't a problem because frequently the first stop is Princess Cays in the Bahamas, a very short sail.

Princess also instructs passengers that if they "encounter unforeseen flight or weather-related delays, you’ll need to advise accordingly:

• If you have booked EZair, please contact the Princess En Route Desk for assistance with rebooking options.
  • If you have made independent flight arrangements and have not booked Princess Vacation Protection, please contact the Princess En Route Desk so they can inform the ship of your delays."

I can see why a line might want to delay sailing for a while if they knew there were a fair number of passengers on a flight known to be delayed.  The cost of the extra fuel they might have to burn to get to the first port might well be outweighed by the revenue from the extra drinks those very relieved passengers would buy to celebrate making it after all.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I can see why a line might want to delay sailing for a while if they knew there were a fair number of passengers on a flight known to be delayed.

I was on a HAL ship sailing from Port Everglades on the day that the shooting episode occurred at FLL.  My traveling companion and I sat on our veranda watching all of the flashing lights at the airport and the almost total lack of traffic on I-595 and entering/around the Port itself.  Sailing time arrived and past; then, the Captain announced that there were guests stranded at FLL and we would delay sailing allowing them more time to reach the ship.  This message was repeated at least twice more during the evening.  Was it 10:00 or 11:00 P. M. when we finally sailed?  Don't accurately remember.  I do remember not all of them reached the ship.  I happened to be at the Front Office at our first port of call when there were some guests just arriving and checking-in.  I have never seen such frazzled looking travelers as these people.  

21 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Every time I sail on Seabourn when doing my pre-registration I have to fill in how I am getting to embarkation. And I have done many sailings with them. No big deal to me.

Agree frantic36 we have filled it out many times  No big deal  we just go with the flow to keep things easy for everybody who could be looking for us to board

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 1:25 AM, San01 said:

I am now worried as new to cruising and booked a NCL cruise in oct departing from UK to Rome, flights booked through cruise with BA flying in to Rome 10.30am, boat departs 5pm

I have started reading posts and it seems all fly day before, NCL never said to do this and being new I thought it was ok, I feel sick now especially as paid for non flexible flights so I can’t change them 

any advice appreciated 

I have not read this entire thread, but want to suggest that you lean hard on NCL to fly you in the day before.  Cruise lines have little trouble changing air plans, but of course they state the opposite in order to discourage changes.  I see it this way:  NCL will be responsible for getting you to the ship at one port or another.  That would be a very expensive situation.  So flying in the day before would save them all the possible hassle and expense.  Offer to make your own hotel res in Roma.  Your chances of boarding the ship in Roma are quite good ... but do you really want to be on pins & needles that morning?  That's no way to start a wonderful cruise vacation!

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

.....NCL will be responsible for getting you to the ship at one port or another.  That would be a very expensive situation.  So flying in the day before would save them all the possible hassle and expense. 

Really?

You may want to read the cruise line’s T&Cs and Ticket Contract. 
Cruise line “air departments” act only as a TA in that they sell air tix and handle rebookings/cancellations, etc. 
No matter what you may have read or think otherwise, they have zero $ liability when it comes to missed/cancelled/rescheduled flights/connections/et al. which are the sole responsibility of the air carrier. 

For commercial flights (not charters, which cruise lines may also arrange [and assume some limited responsibility]), you’d best have travel insurance with adequate “trip interruption coverage.”

As would be the case with their own charter, a delayed commercial flight having you and one to two dozen or more fellow passengers on it, might find the ship willing to wait for their embarkation (as a courtesy if the port circumstances allow for it).

BTW: when it comes to ships “waiting,” the somewhat same holds true for ship excursions. There really is no guarantee that any ship will “always” wait for delayed arrival/reboarding of its own tours. Literally and figuratively, “time and tide wait for no (wo)man.” What the ship does guarantee is that it will get their “too late” tour folks to the next port at no added cost. That’s okay unless, of course, there’s five transpacific sea days before the next port. 👀

Bottom line: ALWAYS read and understand the fine print on both the T&Cs and Ticket Contract , particularly since you agreed to their dictates the minute you deposited the Cruise.