Travel Agent Fees

Christine4

My travel agent recently raised her fee from $300 to $500 to book a cruise for us.  We chose the cruise line, the ship, the itinerary and the date and provided her with this information. 

Would like to know what is the average travel agent fee? 

Would we be better going directly through the cruise line?

Thank you.

If your TA is charging you fees it's time to look for a new TA!  There are plenty of excellent TAs who charge no fees at all.  Ask cruising buddies or shipmates on your next cruise for recommendations.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Christine4 said:

The average travel agent fee to book a cruise is and should be ZERO  Don't know of any cruise lines who don't pay TA's commissions and some in double figures.

A better question might be what is the average percentage rebate for booking a cruise  Many many TA's rebate part of their commissions for booking cruises.

• Like 5

I would have absolutely no issue paying a fee on top of commission if the service was 24/7 and exceptional. I've tried the the kickback companies and have found them lacking (in many ways) for my needs and the needs of my clients...your mileage may differ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christine4 said:

My travel agent recently raised her fee from $300 to $500 to book a cruise for us.  We chose the cruise line, the ship, the itinerary and the date and provided her with this information. 

Would we be better going directly through the cruise line?

Thank you.

I have never heard of anyone paying a fee to have a travel agent book a cruise, so I''ll say the average fee is ZERO. Yes, you would do better to book direct, and even better if you use a travel agent that rebates you part of their commission. 

• Like 4

I understand asking for travel agent recommendations is not allowed on this board. So, how would I go about finding a great agent that specializes in Regent? We don’t have many cruisers among our friends and googling is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Without violating any cruisecritic rules, does anyone have any methods that could help? 

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, macnoir said:

I understand asking for travel agent recommendations is not allowed on this board. So, how would I go about finding a great agent that specializes in Regent? We don’t have many cruisers among our friends and googling is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Without violating any cruisecritic rules, does anyone have any methods that could help? 

Thanks!

I would ask friends anyway...just because they don't cruise doesn't mean they don't know a TA who sells them. I would never trust an unknown source...probably part of the reason why they don't allow solicitation here. Find a TA who has BOUGHT THEIR OWN CRUISES and not just gone on TA vacations. For Regent, I would suggest a TA with at least 200 nights (Platinum) SSS level....if they have the experience AND they spend their own money, they will probably have a good idea what they are talking about.

• Like 1

Late last year, when in the process of discussing a cruise booking, our long time agent who provides stellar service….informed us that they were now charging a nominal booking fee. Because they had spent so much time, and made nothing, dealing with cancellations, refunds, new bookings, then new cancellations etc during Covid.  I understood the problem and sympathized,  But then, when we were ready to book (and pay the nominal fee), they informed us that they would not book the cruise for us.  At first I thought they (and I using “they” instead of he or she) was trying to protect us from a Covid cruise….but as I listened I realized “they” were tired of bookings that were cancelled and then they had to deal with fcc, refunds etc and then make no commission.  Too much work for them for nothing. 

Long story shot…we changed agents.  Lovely person, great service….but when you are more concerned about yourself then me….I will more on to a new TA.  Sounds like other TAs are feeling the same.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Late last year, when in the process of discussing a cruise booking, our long time agent who provides stellar service….informed us that they were now charging a nominal booking fee. Because they had spent so much time, and made nothing, dealing with cancellations, refunds, new bookings, then new cancellations etc during Covid.  I understood the problem and sympathized,  But then, when we were ready to book (and pay the nominal fee), they informed us that they would not book the cruise for us.  At first I thought they (and I using “they” instead of he or she) was trying to protect us from a Covid cruise….but as I listened I realized “they” were tired of bookings that were cancelled and then they had to deal with fcc, refunds etc and then make no commission.  Too much work for them for nothing. 

Long story shot…we changed agents.  Lovely person, great service….but when you are more concerned about yourself then me….I will more on to a new TA.  Sounds like other TAs are feeling the same.  

I had a client I rebooked 17 cruises for....it wasn't fun.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rallydave said:

The average travel agent fee to book a cruise is and should be ZERO  Don't know of any cruise lines who don't pay TA's commissions and some in double figures.

A better question might be what is the average percentage rebate for booking a cruise  Many many TA's rebate part of their commissions for booking cruises.

Why SHOULD they rebate?  🤔

In the UK we have, many of us, been used to a TA who did knock about 10% off the cruise price.  Not having booked anything for ages, this may well have changed.  I can imagine their frustration (as well as their customers) with the recent problems.  Hopefully things will go back to normal in time.  Our TAs here have had to compete for business, hence the various incentives for booking with them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Why SHOULD they rebate?

You'll need to ask the first TA who offered a discount or rebate.  Other TAs had to follow to be competitive.  Now, with big box stores selling travel and the advent of discount travel agencies, the cat is out of the bag.

Our TA recently started to charge a nominal fee, $50. to book a cruise. After the cruising fiasco of the past two years, with cancellations, etc. I can understand this. She is excellent, and well worth it. Also, she does rebate part of her commission after each cruise.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, macnoir said:

Thanks!

This CC article offers some hints in that regard: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2666

• Like 1

Our TA gives us a 10% rebate.  If you're prospecting for a new TA, make sure you ask if they charge a cancellation fee.  If they do, move on to one who doesn't.  You can make a new TA compete for your business by seeing which one will either give you the most OBC or rebate. 

Also make sure the OBC is totally refundable and not an undisclosed promotion from the cruise line which is non refundable.  If refundable, you can go to guest services on the final day and they'll peel the cash out to you.

• Like 3

Also keep in mind that not everyone is motivated by money. Some clients want the best possible service. In others areas of business, you see this with the MDVIP program where your doctor only accepts a limited number of patients and is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The same situation exists in travel and some people are willing to pay more for more service or better access or a wider range of services provided. If you shop solely based on price you may not always find what you want.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Also keep in mind that not everyone is motivated by money. Some clients want the best possible service. In others areas of business, you see this with the MDVIP program where your doctor only accepts a limited number of patients and is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The same situation exists in travel and some people are willing to pay more for more service or better access or a wider range of services provided. If you shop solely based on price you may not always find what you want.

Agreed. From an MDVIP patient. 

9 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

Agreed. From an MDVIP patient. 

I am an MDVIP patient. I am happy to pay for my doctor's incredible personalized service. In my case, no need to pay extra for a great TA, however.  For cruising, I have a TA who gives great service, rebates between 9 and 11 percent of the fare and often offers other benefits. If I can get great service PLUS additional value, there is no need to use a TA who charges fees or does not offer additional benefits. YMMV

• Like 1