Good results with ships laundry?

We have not sailed RCI before, and we will be on Quantum in Oct. this year.  We want to have some of our clothes washed before the end of the cruise because we will be staying in Hawaii for a few days after the cruise.  Please tell me the experiences and or results you had sending your clothes to be laundered.  Thanks. 😃

Edited by screwsmcernst
  • Like 1

It's laundry.   They do a nice job. Comes back folded and some on hangars.  If diamond they will do a bag for $25.00,  all you can stuff into the bag.  Not cheap but not bad.

Edited by joeyancho
Add content
  • Like 1

Not a one off.  Things will be washed and dried very hot.   Be sure not to mix lights and darks in the same bag of wash, unless you like gray.  They’ll put it all together in a mesh bag.  It’s not usually folded nicely and usually will be wrinkled.  Dry cleaning and pressing comes back good.  We only use wash and fold for underwear, socks, nightgowns and athletic wear we don’t care about.   Personally I’d look to see if your hotel afterwords has a washer/dryer.  I hang almost all my clothes at home to dry on racks, no dryer so I’d never trust the ship not to ruin them.  

• Like 1

I have used their wash n fold service many times but do not recommend putting any delicates into the bag.     If Diamond plus it is free, if Diamond the cost is $24.99 or $34.99 for any other status.     You basically fill as much as you can into a plastic bag your room steward will provide.   Our laundry is returned the following day. 

We usually send out socks, underwear, pjs, shorts and tshirts and send bag with items of like color as my understanding is the entire contents of your bag will get put into one load of wash they do not separate blacks, whites, colors.      

I bring a small bottle of woolite and hand wash our bathing suits, blouses, rash guard shirts, bras, etc. myself.  As recommended by another poster,  I take the items roll them up in a towel, stand on the towel to get out as much moisture as possible then hang dry in bathroom or in cabin on magnetic hooks I bring with me.    Sometime I hang them up on a warm port day on my balcony (as long as they are Not washing balconies that day). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I found the bag rather small.  

One trick I do when on a b2b...I bring scotch tape then I can fill the bag all the way up to the top and instead of having to have room to twist tie the top of the bag I tape it shut then I tape the paper with cabin info/list of items onto the bag as well.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

One trick I do when on a b2b...I bring scotch tape then I can fill the bag all the way up to the top and instead of having to have room to twist tie the top of the bag I tape it shut then I tape the paper with cabin info/list of items onto the bag as well.    

Wonder how they would feel about duct tape? :classic_biggrin:

This is actually a really great idea.  You lose so much space having to tie the bag.  So stealing this idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have used the laundry service several times.  It seems to be hit or miss.  One time our clothes were not folded well and were wrinkled.  The last time, the clothes were folded very neatly and stacked.  I agree with others...do not send out anything that you really care about.  We use it for mostly darks; shorts, tee-shirts-underwear, pajamas.

We also use the laundry service and haven’t had any problems.  We only send out underwear, socks, t-shirts and shorts.  They definitely wash them in hot water, the blacks are faded when we get them back.  They have always been folded nice, we have never had a problem with that.

I used it once.  Came back short one pair of socks.  No big deal but I made an inquiry.  I figured they rolled off the folding table.  They ended up blaming my cabin steward for stealing my socks.  He was devastated thinking I had said he stole my socks which made me feel horrible.  I simply wanted them to look around.  I certainly did not want the steward to get in trouble!  He was the nicest man!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

We have not sailed RCI before, and we will be on Quantum in Oct. this year.  We want to have some of our clothes washed before the end of the cruise because we will be staying in Hawaii for a few days after the cruise.  Please tell me the experiences and or results you had sending your clothes to be laundered.  Thanks. 😃

I won't ever send out my swimsuits, coverups or good clothes.  I only send out my gym clothes and husbands tshirts.  Everything is in hot water and then dried.  I don't do that at home, so won't do it on the ship.  

• Like 1

Seems great to me, although I’ve never do laundry at home, so no idea what the intricacies of washing clothes could possibly entail.  The wife is comfortable sending socks/shorts/underwear/my t-shirts to get laundered on a ship. They do a fantastic job…basically overnight. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

I do the wash and fold as Diamond Plus for socks, underwear, and gym shirts. It's ok. Most of the clothes reek of a musty stank after 2-3 days. They're clean but they certainly don't smell very good. Perfectly find for stuff you're wearing under your clothes though.

• Like 1

Just an FYI - we have seen one price bag offers for pressing only (vs. the wash and fold). We only used this, so I can’t swear to the price, but I think it was $19.99). I found that a particular helpful option (and hope they offer it on our next B2B)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SWACruising said:

Only have 1 recent experience a month ago on Oasis. Everything came back wrinkled and looked terrible. Almost like it dried and then later it was folded. I'm guessing they were short staffed so it might be a one off.

That's typical in my experience 

5 hours ago, jk04 said:

Wonder how they would feel about duct tape? :classic_biggrin:

This is actually a really great idea.  You lose so much space having to tie the bag.  So stealing this idea.

It comes back in same size bag. Overstuff and you can expect a wrinkled mess returned to you

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crism said:

I do the wash and fold as Diamond Plus for socks, underwear, and gym shirts. It's ok. Most of the clothes reek of a musty stank after 2-3 days. They're clean but they certainly don't smell very good. Perfectly find for stuff you're wearing under your clothes though.

Yes, the smell is awful

They will basically ruin your clothes to be honest. Everything is washed and dried with very high heat and the detergent they use leaves a very strong chemical smell that does not fully come out even after washing them again at home. 

I only use it for old underwear, socks, and old t shirts. 

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It comes back in same size bag. Overstuff and you can expect a wrinkled mess returned to you

I have used laundry service several times and I don't recall anything being a wrinkled mess and having strange odor.  In fact on our last b2b end of March Eric thought they ironed his tshirts and pj bottoms.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have used laundry service several times and I don't recall anything being a wrinkled mess and having strange odor.  In fact on our last b2b end of March Eric thought they ironed his tshirts and pj bottoms.  

Great, but I've had a very different experience 

Now the laundry in STAR Class was perfect

• Like 3