Princess alone with kids

Albinroo

Our 2020 cruise got cancelled, and our FCC expires this year. Haven't been able to go previously since our children weren't vaccinated and I was pregnant. Now I am considering a week in the Mediterranean on my own with two children under 5, is that crazy? I love cruising, and all I want is a nice balcony to enjoy when the kids are sleeping, good food, and a break from the cold. But at the same time, we have never tried Princess before and while I have no illusions about being able to go to any shows or whatever, might I just be setting myself up for a really stressful week? But the trip would be practically free except flights. I don't know!!?? Advice?

aside from not being able to go to shows, do you handle them all by yourself at home as well?

Somebody else is cooking for you and cleaning and doing everything else besides minding the kids, so it may not be too bad. The youngest is around 2? That's a tough age when they don't listen but start running off, though....

When we took our DS on his first cruise, I am glad my DH was with us, because our DS could outrun me in 3 seconds flat starting at 14 months. He was almost 4 on his first cruise cruise, but I was so afraid he was going to run and fall overboard (a somewhat irrational fear), but I couldn't chase him.

• Like 1

Is there not another adult who could accompany you?  I can’t even image two toddlers on a cruise by myself!  Even if you had to pay for that person’s airfare (you’re paying probably double for the cruise anyway as a solo) it would be well worth the extra set of hands.  How could you ever relax?  Good for you if can do it!

• Like 1

I have taken my daughter on Princess as a solo traveller from early years to now in her twenties.  So long as children are three years old and potty trained they can be left in the children's club.  Initially I stuck my head in every hour to enquire if she wanted to come back out.  Generally, No, go away dad. You might also meet other solo parents through the club which I found good as we could hang out.  No reason why you cannot go to shows as the club looks after them until 10 or 11pm.  Same if you are confident on port days you can go off ship for short periods.  The kids get "locked in" the clubs and taken for meals by the staff.  Balconies are fine but my rule is I have to be on it.  If I go into cabin the children should come in and the high bolt be engaged.  It takes a few years to find out an acceptable plan for each child but it is surprising how much they prefer it in the club.

Regards John

• Haha 2

It sounds like you have a realistic mindset.  There are enough crew members who adore children,  they will get lots of attention. You can even try shows if the kids are able to sit for a while,  just choose aisle seats in case you need a quick escape. 😉 

I would definitely have some sort of "lead" for the little one.  They make cute little backpacks or waist pouches with a leash attached.  I used one with my daughter after she got away from me in a department store.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

aside from not being able to go to shows, do you handle them all by yourself at home as well?

Somebody else is cooking for you and cleaning and doing everything else besides minding the kids, so it may not be too bad. The youngest is around 2? That's a tough age when they don't listen but start running off, though....

When we took our DS on his first cruise, I am glad my DH was with us, because our DS could outrun me in 3 seconds flat starting at 14 months. He was almost 4 on his first cruise cruise, but I was so afraid he was going to run and fall overboard (a somewhat irrational fear), but I couldn't chase him.

Having someone else doing the cooking and the cleaning is exactly what I'm dreaming of. I am pretty used to handling two kids on my own since we have four so even with my husband around they outnumber us. The youngest would be a baby still, only 9 months and the older one just turned 4. We have cruised before with kids that age but then of course as a couple and usually on ncl/dcl where I guess there are more facilities for children. So missing shows is kind of our thing, we just find cruising pretty relaxing and our kids love it.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Is there not another adult who could accompany you?  I can’t even image two toddlers on a cruise by myself!  Even if you had to pay for that person’s airfare (you’re paying probably double for the cruise anyway as a solo) it would be well worth the extra set of hands.  How could you ever relax?  Good for you if can do it!

Tbh I'm not sure I can do it. I wish there was another adult I could bring along but my husband would be working and also looking after our older children who will be in school and also cannot get vaccinated (they are 6 and 9, we live in Sweden where only 12 and up are allowed to get vaccinated still). I would ask my mother, but she worries so much and would never cruise while some covid protocols are still in place. I wish I knew someone else but unfortunately most friends either aren't into cruising/travel in general or too busy with their own kids...

1 hour ago, john watson said:

I have taken my daughter on Princess as a solo traveller from early years to now in her twenties.  So long as children are three years old and potty trained they can be left in the children's club.  Initially I stuck my head in every hour to enquire if she wanted to come back out.  Generally, No, go away dad. You might also meet other solo parents through the club which I found good as we could hang out.  No reason why you cannot go to shows as the club looks after them until 10 or 11pm.  Same if you are confident on port days you can go off ship for short periods.  The kids get "locked in" the clubs and taken for meals by the staff.  Balconies are fine but my rule is I have to be on it.  If I go into cabin the children should come in and the high bolt be engaged.  It takes a few years to find out an acceptable plan for each child but it is surprising how much they prefer it in the club.

Regards John

One of the reasons we booked Princess back in 2019 was that we heard so many good things about their kids club. My 4 year old will definitely try it but the other one will be too young so will be with me the whole time. But at least it would be somewhere sunny. On a cruise ship. With good food that I don't have to cook myself. 

• Like 1

How about a very reliable teenager to help you with the children.  That way you might be able to put the children down for the night and split catching the shows and activities with them.

I cruised with my two kids and my mom in 2019 and it wasn't relaxing at all. Neither kid was potty trained so couldn't go to the kids club and our room steward wasn't the friendliest and not very accommodating with having small kids in the room. I booked an end room so we only had neighbors on one side, so hopefully didn't have too many unhappy people around us. We ate at the buffet for each meal and didn't get too see any shows, which I usually love watching. Cruising with small kids is a different experience for sure. Now, mine are 5 and 6 and we can't wait to go back on a ship because they'll be better behaved and can be in the kids club. 

I would try and get someone else to go with you...good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Albinroo said:

One of the reasons we booked Princess back in 2019 was that we heard so many good things about their kids club. My 4 year old will definitely try it but the other one will be too young so will be with me the whole time. But at least it would be somewhere sunny. On a cruise ship. With good food that I don't have to cook myself. 

our kid never wanted to do the kid's club (he is not a social butterfly and has routines he has to adhere to), so he enjoyed every show with us and during dinners in MDR he usually uses a pad with movies/cartoons (with headphones on). Of course, this will not work with a 9 month old. Are you sure you can't bring a nanny? In exchange for the cruise fare, she/he will babysit the kids occasionally. 🙂 Or leave the oldest 2 home with your mom, and bring DH with you.

We left DS home with my parents when he was 9 months old and 2 yo, while we cruised for a week.

1 hour ago, Albinroo said:

Having someone else doing the cooking and the cleaning is exactly what I'm dreaming of. I am pretty used to handling two kids on my own since we have four so even with my husband around they outnumber us. The youngest would be a baby still, only 9 months and the older one just turned 4. We have cruised before with kids that age but then of course as a couple and usually on ncl/dcl where I guess there are more facilities for children. So missing shows is kind of our thing, we just find cruising pretty relaxing and our kids love it.

Is your 9 month baby going on this cruise?  What about vaccinations for the 9 month old?  Are they doing that?

s?

If your goal is to attempt a "relaxing week on a ship by using up FCCs", you certainly do NOT need to fly to the Med to do it. The flight(s) alone could be a nightmare... long, connecting, layovers.  Have you looked at cruises closer to home?

As for your week onboard?  Only you can determine what you're capable of, but it certainly sounds daunting at best.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

OP is already paying for 3 passengers.  She will not have a solo supplement.  She might qualify for 2 full paying passengers and reduced fare to passengers 3 and 4 (kids).  Then you have the issue of 4 people in a cabin.  Both children will need naps, so a balcony is probably the lowest stateroom you would like to consider (some place for you to go while they are napping.  

I have traveled alone, but never cruised with toddlers.  I was exhausted by the time I reached my destination.  Good Luck.  I can understand the need to get away.

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

OP is already paying for 3 passengers.  She will not have a solo supplement.  She might qualify for 2 full paying passengers and reduced fare to passengers 3 and 4 (kids).  Then you have the issue of 4 people in a cabin.  Both children will need naps, so a balcony is probably the lowest stateroom you would like to consider (some place for you to go while they are napping.  

I have traveled alone, but never cruised with toddlers.  I was exhausted by the time I reached my destination.  Good Luck.  I can understand the need to get away.

Thanks for correcting me!  I didn’t realize that children under five paid full fare.  I thought they only paid port charges, etc.  Good to know.  I’ve never sailed with kids, so I should not assume anything.  My bad!

2 hours ago, Albinroo said:

Just to be sure you know this....

Unvaccinated kids are currently NOT allowed in the Kids Club.☹️

That could change at some point....

We were just on a cruise in March with 5 adults, a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

I think that was a good ratio of adults to kids! 😁...but 'you do you'...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Just to be sure you know this....

Unvaccinated kids are currently NOT allowed in the Kids Club.☹️

That could change at some point....

We were just on a cruise in March with 5 adults, a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

I think that was a good ratio of adults to kids! 😁...but 'you do you'...

...and now that I have posted that....I no longer see that restriction....so maybe it already changed. Soooo hard to keep up!  🤪

Between flights and all that just leading Up to getting onboard? 

Doesn't sound relaxing at All.

Unless you can figure out another person to Help out & come along?

I agree with above.  Wait til their older, or husband can join.

We didn't start cruising til our sons were old enough to walk & talk & play with others in

childrens club.

Right now I have 1 and half, and 2 and half year old grandchildren.

The thought of taking them with me alone? 

Not realistic, IMO. 

But sounds like you plan to go either way....🙉

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Albinroo said:

Our 2020 cruise got cancelled, and our FCC expires this year. Haven't been able to go previously since our children weren't vaccinated and I was pregnant. Now I am considering a week in the Mediterranean on my own with two children under 5, is that crazy? I love cruising, and all I want is a nice balcony to enjoy when the kids are sleeping, good food, and a break from the cold. But at the same time, we have never tried Princess before and while I have no illusions about being able to go to any shows or whatever, might I just be setting myself up for a really stressful week? But the trip would be practically free except flights. I don't know!!?? Advice?

I say go for it. Life is short and no regrets.

If you want to do it--do it but I would suggest a mini suite. Have extra room for the kids and their things

a couch, chair, table and floor space for kids to play on. Would even have more floor space if move chair and table to the side. Still has your balcony.

You could still do the shows and stuff. Just depends how well behaved your 4 yr is and if the baby cries.  If acting up or crying you just leave.

You just have to decide if it's worth it if nothing went the way you planned.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Potstech said:

How about a very reliable teenager to help you with the children.  That way you might be able to put the children down for the night and split catching the shows and activities with them.

Oh I wish! Just too bad I don't really know any teenagers, especially reliable ones😂

13 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

our kid never wanted to do the kid's club (he is not a social butterfly and has routines he has to adhere to), so he enjoyed every show with us and during dinners in MDR he usually uses a pad with movies/cartoons (with headphones on). Of course, this will not work with a 9 month old. Are you sure you can't bring a nanny? In exchange for the cruise fare, she/he will babysit the kids occasionally. 🙂 Or leave the oldest 2 home with your mom, and bring DH with you.

We left DS home with my parents when he was 9 months old and 2 yo, while we cruised for a week.

Yeah kids club is usually hit or miss when it ckmes to our kids, they either love or hate it. Leaving my mom with the older two at home so husband can come along actually isn't a bad idea at all. Thanks!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Is your 9 month baby going on this cruise?  What about vaccinations for the 9 month old?  Are they doing that?

s?

No vaccinations for babies, no. But they are allowed to cruise anyway, which  isn't the case for unvaccinated children over five years.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, julia said:

If your goal is to attempt a "relaxing week on a ship by using up FCCs", you certainly do NOT need to fly to the Med to do it. The flight(s) alone could be a nightmare... long, connecting, layovers.  Have you looked at cruises closer to home?

As for your week onboard?  Only you can determine what you're capable of, but it certainly sounds daunting at best.

Yeah the flights do worry me, I won't lie. We live in northern Europe which isn't really cruise friendly weather at the time I'm looking to go (late sep/early oct) and the prices are usually better in Mediterranean than baltic/nordics.