So many negative comments

There seems to be so many negative complaints about food, cleanliness and service coming for so many people on a variety of ships now. We’re sailing in a couple weeks and all the negative comments are concerning. We were on 2 cruises in Jan/Feb and the RCCL food, service and cleanliness were excellent. I’m sure the food has to do with the escalating costs of food. You can’t continue to buy quality cuts of meats and with inferior cuts, it’s hard to get the same results. The cleanliness will be an issue. If this is what cruising is turning into, unfortunately, it’s time for another hiatus for us. I’m hoping it’s just people who can’t be made happy that are doing the complaining. 

3 minutes ago, Painter4me said:

We were on 2 cruises in Jan/Feb and the RCCL food, service and cleanliness were excellent.

Expect the same - there's a reason this web site is named the way it is.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Complainers will jump at the chance to complain, and post about it. Non complainers may have a few hiccups, but choose to go with the flow. And you will always see more complaints than positive. And some may have a horrible experience, and not run to Cruise Critic to make a thread. They will go directly to the cruise line.

Enjoy your cruises….I leave Thursday.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 5

While I agree that there will always be some who must complain and find reason to be unhappy, I personally appreciate varied opinions. That's one reason we're all here isn't it? And it's rather easy to decipher chronic misery from honest opinion about a thing. 

We booked specialty restaurants for the majority of dinners *because* of info I got here, and I don't regret it. I complained about the mdr in my review; stated there may have been reasons, and I did only go once. And it wasn't even really the food I was less than pleased with.

So yeah, there are some who complain for the sake of it but not every or even most negative comments are invalid, especially if you see the same thing in multiple posts.

To the OP though - Even if it's not perfect, the value is def still there, and I will cruise again soon and if I eat in the MDR every night, I'll be happy about it!

• Like 1

I didn't mean to suggest that yours or anyone else's opinion wasn't valid, but this isn't like looking up something on Amazon and seeing it has 4.8/5.0 stars after 10,000 reviews.

I have read and learned a ton from reading these forums but I would never avoid the WJ or MDR without trying them b/c there will always be varying opinions. That's all I meant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, suchablonde said:

Ugh, that was not aimed at your reasonable comment, so sorry. Actually meant to post in the other, similar thread. I completely agree with you! 

No worries whatsoever.

Variety and taste of food is very subjective.  I sailed on Easter Anthem cruise and the food quality and related service was good.  Only had a few hiccups in that I enjoy pork chops and chose a Jerky Caribbean rub pork chop and found it dry and chewy.  However, I was able to get another entree as substitute.  

Had a meal at Jamie's and could not believe the amount of food.  It was one of the best meals I've tasted.  The pasta bolognese followed by 3 tasty lamb chops really hit the spot.  I was concerned that sometime the bolognese sauce can be a bit greasy with all of the different meats in the dish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There normally some legitimate reasons to complain, but I wouldn’t have taken over 70 cruises if the overall cruise wasn’t great , I am picky and for the last ten years cruise in nothing but suites , which give you much less reasons to complain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just an observation,  right now the complainers in this country seem to be the loudest and most active group.  I think that they believe if you complain loud enough and long enough it becomes a fact.   Just got off of an of the Allure a couple of weeks ago , and everything was fine.  Wasn’t perfect, but it sure beats sitting at home.  Go with reasonable expectations and have a fantastic time.   Things were so bad that I signed up for another cruise on the Enchantment in August.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We're 15 days out from a trip on Enchantment. My expectation is that we will have a great time, but are prepared for hiccups, largely because all of the ships are short staffed to some degree. RCI is working feverishly to hire, but it takes time in the current situation. So, "Patience" is going to be our mantra. Each trip has exceptional moments and some that are less so. Plus as semi experienced cruisers (we'll cross over to Diamond on this trip), we've learned a lot of little things to make our trip easier and more enjoyable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I posted this yesterday on another thread.

If you look for problems, you'll find them. If you look for things to complain about, you'll find them. Don't listen to all the complainers, they're the ones looking for things that they don't like then they come here and tell everyone how terrible their cruise was. If you go on your cruise expecting to have a good time, you'll make it happen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am also not really sure what OP is talking about or where they are seeing all the negative comments.  If anything, people are almost too positive and unwilling to criticize anything.

• Like 1

We were on the EOS March, 2022 and found the ship to be very clean and the food was great.  As usual by the third day of our cruise salt air made my clothing shrink.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, Painter4me said:

There seems to be so many negative complaints about food, cleanliness and service coming for so many people on a variety of ships now. We’re sailing in a couple weeks and all the negative comments are concerning. We were on 2 cruises in Jan/Feb and the RCCL food, service and cleanliness were excellent. I’m sure the food has to do with the escalating costs of food. You can’t continue to buy quality cuts of meats and with inferior cuts, it’s hard to get the same results. The cleanliness will be an issue. If this is what cruising is turning into, unfortunately, it’s time for another hiatus for us. I’m hoping it’s just people who can’t be made happy that are doing the complaining. 

Exactly why we would never book or book a cruise line or ship based on others positive or negative experiences or opinions. All subjective. 

2 hours ago, baelor said:

I am also not really sure what OP is talking about or where they are seeing all the negative comments.  If anything, people are almost too positive and unwilling to criticize anything.

I either see cult-like responses where people will praise absolutely everything that happens with a line no matter what, or pinnacle plus who want their money back because they suffered the indignity of having to pass through the commoner section of the ship to enter their star suite and nothing in-between.

• Haha 8

You need to take everything in your stride and as soon as you board remember that you are on holiday (Vacation), not everything will be perfect but the staff on the ship will try their hardest to make it so and if not will listen your your complaint and try their utmost to change it. If your food is not up to your standard they will change it, if your cabin is not how you like it the attendant will do his/her upmost to accommodate your needs, what I am saying is that you need to remember that everything will not be 100% but they do try and make it so. People need to stop looking for faults and enjoy their holiday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, Painter4me said:

I cruised Royal last year after a 7-year hiatus from this line.  Following that cruise, I immediately booked another Royal cruise.  That's how much I thought of my Royal experience compared to my other cruises during the previous 7 years.  🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roybthered said:

You need to take everything in your stride and as soon as you board remember that you are on holiday (Vacation), not everything will be perfect but the staff on the ship will try their hardest to make it so and if not will listen your your complaint and try their utmost to change it. If your food is not up to your standard they will change it, if your cabin is not how you like it the attendant will do his/her upmost to accommodate your needs, what I am saying is that you need to remember that everything will not be 100% but they do try and make it so. People need to stop looking for faults and enjoy their holiday.

You are absolutely correct. Staff will go out of their way to make correct any issues. For example, when I boarded Allure last week the table on my cabin balcony was really dirty. It had all sorts of dark ring stains like you would get from the bottom of glasses placed on it. I informed the cabin attendant about it and he was so apologetic. I just told him to relax. He took care of the problem and great care of the cabin all week. A couple of other times bars ran out of items for drinks that I wanted. Again, they were so apologetic and I had to reassure them that it was ok. All the staff really want to please the guests.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1