Is Food THAT bad?

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I agree that the prime rib wasn't the best at all. If they were serving something similar at a land based restaurant they wouldn't be in business very long. 

Also, the "cowboy steak" was sort of a joke. Not that I expected anything great but the minute steak at the buffet was better. 

You just have to learn by experience which meals are better.

Our prime rib was so bad that at least three different waiters/head waiters, etc. came over to check on us and see if they could do anything.  It was about one fourth inch thick and more than well done.  

Admittedly we were eating late--having watched the Abba tribute show--maybe about 9.  We asked and were assured we weren't too late.  It was funny that the waiters knew the prime ribs were terrible.  At that point we had already had our appetizers, etc. and just didn't care to wait for a different entre.  It's not like we were going hungry.  They did try to appease us!

Some of my other steaks, etc., weren't too bad.  

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

Shrug. We've cruised with Princess three times and we've enjoyed the food each time. We're not massive foodies or basic/fussy eaters. We appreciate a simple meal done well and we have also had some great experiences at nice restaurants. 

I can't speak to recent developments as I've not cruised since Jan 2020. But we are booked on Majestic in January and looking forward to it. I've heard mixed reviews on the recent offerings from Harmony so we will see. We sailed on her in her first season out of sydney (2018/19) and Harmony was great then.

It seems that the quality can vary ship to ship, but we've not had a bad experience yet (overall that is. Of course there is the odd dish that is below expectations, it is what it is).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Our prime rib was so bad that at least three different waiters/head waiters, etc. came over to check on us and see if they could do anything.  It was about one fourth inch thick and more than well done.  

Admittedly we were eating late--having watched the Abba tribute show--maybe about 9.  We asked and were assured we weren't too late.  It was funny that the waiters knew the prime ribs were terrible.  At that point we had already had our appetizers, etc. and just didn't care to wait for a different entre.  It's not like we were going hungry.  They did try to appease us!

Some of my other steaks, etc., weren't too bad.  

Not to say that we've ever gotten a piece of good prime rib on Princess but it has degraded since the startup for sure. I suppose it has to do with cost of meat lately. If they purchase a lower quality cut the cooks can only do so much to make it presentable. 😉

I know I should have listened to our waiter more closely for his opinion. After all they see people leaving it on their plates many times each cruise. 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, losfp said:

I can't speak to recent developments as I've not cruised since Jan 2020. But we are booked on Majestic in January and looking forward to it. I've heard mixed reviews on the recent offerings from Harmony so we will see. We sailed on her in her first season out of sydney (2018/19) and Harmony was great then.

I’m always willing to give a restaurant a try/second try, but I have to say….  Don’t waste your money!!!!

As much as I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the food overall on our last (April 4) cruise, I chalk most of that up to getting back to speed after the pandemic.  Most of it wasn’t bad, just nothing really memorable - definitely a couple of steps below our previous sailing.  I’m sure once the cooks get more time back under their belts, and they’re better prepared for being closer to regular capacity, things will be better.

But Harmony was a disgrace.  I’m a well traveled foodie, but by no means a food snob.  I’ve grown up with Asian food - authentic, westernized, and “fusion-ized” (Hawaiian food).  I run to Panda Express as often as McDonald’s.  And I’ve eaten at Richard Chen’s Vegas restaurants countless times when he was there.  The new menu at Harmony is a simplified, westernized menu from the original sailings.   And the food that came out of the kitchen was poorly cooked, and had no recognizable flavor profile.  Dishes were either overly salty, or a muddle of bland flavors.  There was one dish that was decent (braised sea bass - a surcharge dish, on top of the specialty dining surcharge), but really, no better or worse than I’ve had (literally) a hundred times at local Chinese restaurants.  There were two dishes that were almost inedible.

I find it interesting that in every current article on Richard Chen, outside of Princess’s press releases, there is absolutely no mention of his work on Harmony.  It’s almost like he had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, and so no one can ask him about, or mention Princess in the articles.  And yet Princess still touts the restaurant as “created with…” and “recipes from”.  Just very odd.

Edited by WAvoyager
  • Like 1

I am on the Majestic now and specialty restaurants have been mediocre but the MDR food in club class has been outstanding. One of the best entrées I have ever had was a special dish with an 8 ounce beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon and stuffed with blue cheese 

Wow, thanks for all the responses!  I'm starting to wonder if the person in Whittier who tried to steer me to the dining at Alyeska resort for one more meal before boarding was maybe trying to drum up more business for the local establishments rather than being honest with me about what people say about Princess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I, personally, find that food is very subjective and based on personal taste (pun intended). I will say that, on our December 2021 B2B on the Sky Princess, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the food in the MDR. Most meals were fine, but only fine, whereas on many past cruises I had been wowed by the MDR food on Princess. This time, some dishes were quite tasty, others not so much, and there was not one meal in the MDR that "wowed" me. But, again, it's very subjective: one dish was virtually inedible to me, but the woman at the next table was raving about the same meal.  I think most people who are commenting negatively on the food in the MDR may be comparing it to their experiences on past cruises, as I cannot help but do; and/or comparing it to other cruise lines. We have also cruised recently on Celebrity, and I do have to say that I have found Celebrity's meals far superior to Princess in recent years but, again, perhaps their dishes merely appeal more to my personal tastes.

All of that having been said, there is nothing about the Princess MDR food that would prevent me from cruising with them. Your mileage may vary. 😉 

• Like 2

Wow, I don’t know why a transportation employee would spout off about the food to a future pax when he/she has never even sailed Princess! DH and I adore the food on Princess and prefer it to every other cruise line we’ve sailed, including Cunard and Celebrity! Of course food is an individual preference, but please form your own opinion. I believe you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Wow, I don’t know why a transportation employee would spout off about the food to a future pax when he/she has never even sailed Princess! DH and I adore the food on Princess and prefer it to every other cruise line we’ve sailed, including Cunard and Celebrity! Of course food is an individual preference, but please form your own opinion. I believe you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

Have you cruised since covid? 

• Like 2

Just to let y'all know....even the chocolate chip cookies on the Emerald are done with a different recipe than before....and are no longer worth the effort.

Old favorites like the escargot and fetticine Alfredo have gone to the dogs...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spunks said:

Just to let y'all know....even the chocolate chip cookies on the Emerald are done with a different recipe than before....and are no longer worth the effort.

Escargot and Fettuccine has been delicious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spunks said:

I’m sure this is a pandemic related issue.  I don’t think they use a recipe - probably a mix, and it’s quite possible they’ve (like so many others) have had to change suppliers.  There’s a big thread here about the (missing) peanut butter cookies.

24 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Escargot and Fettuccine has been delicious. 

My husband was talking to someone at our table about escargot and the next night the waiter brought it for the whole table.  Very nice of him, but it was the first escargot we’d ever had with absolutely no garlic.  Not much flavor without that. 

• Like 1

Maybe here are two factors to consider:

1. I think most nearly everyone will agree that the cruise lines are all still scrambling to keep everything going and that has necessitated some changes. Shortages and supply chain issues aren't helping that either.

2. Rating food is entirely subjective. What one person loves, another will not.  And a big part of that is what you're eating regularly. I remember when DW and I were first married and we were quite poor.  McDonalds on a Friday night for burgers and a small fry (shared!) was a delicious treat! Not many seek the Golden Arches for a special treat, do they?  We don't either (any more). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what is delicious is in the mouth of the taster.  The point? Your mileage may vary.

• Like 8

Here's my take after 4 cruises (totaling 44 days),  6 Crown Grills, and 3 Sabatini's, I have no complaints about the food on the Grand Princess.  

Crown Grill lamb chops were fantastic.

Sabatini's has won me over.  Not a favorite, but definitely will eat there again.

Club Class meats were tender and cooked nicely.  Prime Rib was at least a half inch thick with little to no gristle.  Cowboy steak was requested rare but came out medium rare due to thinness.  Mine was not covered by a sauce (on the side).  Lobster could have been a bit bigger, but had plenty to eat.  Most fish dishes were good.  I don't eat salmon or chicken.  Vegetables were never overcooked.  I'm not a picky eater and lover to dabble in small plates.

I enjoy the service more than the food.  

The below popped up as not being submitted.  Not sure, so if it was, just disregard.

You need to ask yourself:

Has your "recommendation" come from someone just off a cruise?

How much do you need to eat (portions are smaller)?

What do you want to eat (IC/Alfredos/Buffet/Room Service/MDR/etc).

If something is not to your liking, you can order something else.  You can also speak to the Assistant Manager and request that your meals do not have any sauces, etc.  

How often/when do you want to eat?  (There is something open most hours of the day).

Sure, there are times I have found nothing to my liking and ordered off menu.  If they have it, they can make it for you (Guacamole/chips/salsa is my go to).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WAvoyager said:

But Harmony was a disgrace.  I’m a well traveled foodie, but by no means a food snob.  I’ve grown up with Asian food - authentic, westernized, and “fusion-ized” (Hawaiian food).  I run to Panda Express as often as McDonald’s.  And I’ve eaten at Richard Chen’s Vegas restaurants countless times when he was there.  The new menu at Harmony is a simplified, westernized menu from the original sailings.   And the food that came out of the kitchen was poorly cooked, and had no recognizable flavor profile.  Dishes were either overly salty, or a muddle of bland flavors.  There was one dish that was decent (braised sea bass - a surcharge dish, on top of the specialty dining surcharge), but really, no better or worse than I’ve had (literally) a hundred times at local Chinese restaurants.  There were two dishes that were almost inedible.

A disgrace pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.   I'm also a well traveled foodie and will eat and try anything.   But Harmony, was horrible from start to finish.   Both my friends dishes and mine.   The best thing was the miso soup (how hard is it to mess that up).   

The "extra surcharge" of the lobster dish was the most appalling.   It was a slipper sized lobster cut into 6 pieces with the shell on.....I mean who cuts up a lobster with the shell still on?    It was impossible to eat and the flavor was horrible/bland.

14 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

A disgrace pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.   I'm also a well traveled foodie and will eat and try anything.   But Harmony, was horrible from start to finish.   Both my friends dishes and mine.   The best thing was the miso soup (how hard is it to mess that up).   

The "extra surcharge" of the lobster dish was the most appalling.   It was a slipper sized lobster cut into 6 pieces with the shell on.....I mean who cuts up a lobster with the shell still on?    It was impossible to eat and the flavor was horrible/bland.

The lobster is frozen.  All frozen lobster is always tasteless.  All the lobster I have ever had on a cruise ship is tasteless.  If you want good lobster, take a vacation in Maine.

DON

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

That’s horrible! I would have told them to take it back.

1 minute ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

That’s horrible! I would have told them to take it back.

I found a picture of it!   They didn't charge us the additional $15 surcharge.  

BECE8169-509F-4E18-8562-240EA640C26F.jpeg

6 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I believe you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

if not there's always  .... 

Amazon.com : Mrs Dash Low Pepper No Garlic Seasoning Packet, 0.02 Ounce --  500 per case. : Garlic Spices And Herbs : Grocery & Gourmet Food

now available in six different flavors. 😃

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, spunks said:

None of the cookies were very good, compared to before.  The peanut butter cookies tasted like they had no peanut butter in them.  They were all hard, dry and mostly tasteless.

43 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

None of the cookies were very good, compared to before.  The peanut butter cookies tasted like they had no peanut butter in them.  They were all hard, dry and mostly tasteless.

I agree on the cookies....but I thought the escargot was as delish as ever!!

11 hours ago, WAvoyager said:

But Harmony was a disgrace.

That's a shame to hear - as I mentioned in my earlier post, I went in Majestic's first season, and it was great. If the menu and quality has gone downhill that's really disappointing. We are trying to do a Europe cruise later in the year so I think this time around we will mostly stick to the MDRs and maybe try Crown Grill or something, which we have never tried.