What hours are MY Time Dining?

12 minutes ago, texmat said:

Is MTD still starting at 6:45?  What are the reasons for starting that LATE?

Can vary by ship. The reason is some dining rooms share space with traditional making MTD later.

We had a scheduled 6:30 which was fine the first 2 days.  The maitre'd made a "reservation" for our table.  Day 3 the couple before us was still occupying "our" table so we were seated in a different station.  After that, we just delayed arriving until 7 and were seated immediately.  

12 hours ago, texmat said:

Some ships it's 6:30. On the April 17 Anthem sail it was 6:45.  For some unknown reason, even though I select traditional which is usually @5:30 they constantly place me in MTD.  Maybe because I'm solo.  I've learned to look at my sea pass as soon as boarding and make any corrections.  The problem is that the sea pass on many ships is not available until you get to your cabin.

13 hours ago, texmat said:

You're "second shift" for the dining room on many ships that share the main dining room with early/late seating. We still make reservations around the same time (7:00-7:15ish) so that we can either sit at the exact same table or at least with the same waiter/assistant waiter. That way, by night 2 or 3, they know our preferences. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Pre-shutdown MTD started 5:45pm-ish.  

During the restart someone at Royal decided that MTD is bad and should be discouraged so they tried to motivate guests into early traditional dining.  That push required more seating space for fixed or traditional early dining so they “solved” the problem by delaying MTD until 6:45pm.

Despite relaxing protocols MTD dining is still largely impacted.  Some ships like Anthem in the UK have eased up this particular protocol but most ships haven’t.  Serenade this week is pretty bad, like don’t even think about the dining room if MTD, just eat in the buffet. 

Apparently someone at Royal still thinks they are solving the pandemic by motivating guests to use the buffet over My Time Dining.  

• Thanks 1

I have two cruises in September, B2B, in the Symphony. For both of them, all the days, the only possible time is 6:45pm. It's very difficult to believe that this is the availability. Instead I think it must be the only thing they're allowing to reserve.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a MTD reservation, do you have to wait in a line?  How does it work?  We have booked 6:45 (the first time available) for each night.  Will there be line to wait in?  Will everyone in the line have the 6:45?  Will we be at the same table each night?

Last cruise the early traditional was at 5:00.  So wanted to try MTD.

All advice and information welcome.  Thanks.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:21 PM, happy cruzer said:

If you have a MTD reservation, do you have to wait in a line?  How does it work?  We have booked 6:45 (the first time available) for each night.  Will there be line to wait in?  Will everyone in the line have the 6:45?  Will we be at the same table each night?

Anyone? Thanks.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:21 PM, happy cruzer said:

The only line we've ever seen for MTD is for those that didn't have a reserved dining time. We've never waited in line other than the first evening for MTD. We've always had the same time, wait staff and table every evening. When we did MTD (same with TD) we would head straight to the MRD on embarkation day find a table we liked (size and location) and requested that table number for each night of the cruise. No problem.  On our last B2B cruise (13 and 20 March 2022) on the Explorer we switched back over to TD as MTD didn't start until 7:15 from our original reserved time (prior to our cruise in the CP) of 6:00.   

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, davekathy said:

The only line we've ever seen for MTD is for those that didn't have a reserved dining time. We've never waited in line other than the first evening for MTD. We've always had the same time, wait staff and table every evening. When we did MTD (same with TD) we would head straight to the MRD on embarkation day find a table we liked (size and location) and requested that table number for each night of the cruise. No problem.  On our last B2B cruise (13 and 20 March 2022) on the Explorer we switched back over to TD as MTD didn't start until 7:15 from our original reserved time (prior to our cruise in the CP) of 6:00.   

We changed to TD just before we sailed on our B2B March 20/27 when we found out the MTD times were a mess and scheduled so late. We ended up having a great 4Top by the window nightly at 6:00pm. The lines at about 7 for MTD when we left were crazy long both for reservations and MTD we could hardly make our was past the crowds and some very upset people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

We changed to TD just before we sailed on our B2B March 20/27 when we found out the MTD times were a mess and scheduled so late. We ended up having a great 4Top by the window nightly at 6:00pm. The lines at about 7 for MTD when we left were crazy long both for reservations and MTD we could hardly make our was past the crowds and some very upset people.

Agree. We also noticed the long lines leaving the MDR. We both would comment how happy we were with our 6:00 PM TD. The crowds were worse on the 20th sailing compared to the 13th sailing. But more people on the 20th sailing. 

We have had no problem with showing up randomly time-wise for MTD, but we don't go earlier than 6:30PM. Never wait more than a few minutes. Last few cruises were on Anthem. We do a combo of MDR, specialty, WJ.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

we have mtd on the Allure 9/30/22 cruise. This sounds kinda messed up.

Would pick early if I knew we could get a table for 2.

When can you pick your dining time and show reservations?

I'm glad you asked this question because I was trying to find out the times for MTD.  I can see reservations for our sailing starting at 6:45 but I didn't know if they had seating prior to that (we will be sailing on the Mariner) that you just showed up for.  Now I know.  We don't want late, and the early time was too early as we like to enjoy sail-away (or in our case, port arrival in Bermuda on day) on deck rather than from the dining room. 

If we make a reservation for a MTD time but decide to not go to the dining room for dinner, I'm guessing we should be sure to cancel it so someone else can have that time slot, right?

On 5/7/2022 at 1:42 AM, texmat said:

Depends on demographic onboard.
6:45 is far too early for most Europeans to eat…. Many will still be coming into the dining room at 9:15…

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've cruised on Royal, and we always did My Time Dining.  I'm sailing on Brilliance and MTD starts at 6:45 pm.  If I try to switch to traditional dining, are we able to be seated at our own table?  We're a party of 3.

TIA.

2 minutes ago, linaka625 said:

It's been a while since I've cruised on Royal, and we always did My Time Dining.  I'm sailing on Brilliance and MTD starts at 6:45 pm.  If I try to switch to traditional dining, are we able to be seated at our own table?  We're a party of 3.

TIA.

I called recently to change from MTD to early TD and the agent asked what size table I wanted so hopefully they accommodate that.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:48 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

we have mtd on the Allure 9/30/22 cruise. This sounds kinda messed up.

Would pick early if I knew we could get a table for 2.

When can you pick your dining time and show reservations?

You should have no trouble getting a table for two.

Check your cruise planner for MTD reservations....or change to MDR early.

Show reservations can now only be made once onboard.