On Allure Now And I Got Covid So Now What?

4 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Honestly, if they are all short on staff (and I believe that to be true) then they should not be sailing with nearly max capacity.  Pretty simple, really.

Renee, I would have been much more blunt than you.  I have to hand it to you....you handled it much better than I would have.  I definitely WOULD have high-tailed it outta there and foraged for some grub on my own !  Kudos to you !

Point #1... 100% but they're not going to turn away money.

Point #2... I second the the kudos to Renee. Hope the surf & turf is hot and delicious tonight... and so tender your plastic fork will cut the steak. 😁

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

It might be fleet wide if all ships are short on crew which I think they are. Even if they are short they need to revise some things for the time being. Maybe only have the cabin attendants doing room service once a day. Either morning or night. Use them elsewhere to pick up the slack. I’m sure there are other areas where crew could be moved around some. I know that would involve more training, but telling someone to take this tray of food to cabin xxx isn’t rocket science.

I usually have them come in once a day when hubby is with me and sometimes not every day. If I’m by myself it’s even less. 😃  I can get away with using the same towel twice, etc. I’m an easy going person and don’t need all the attention/cleaning. We thankfully get off in 2 days. 

We stopped years and years ago on having our cabin made up twice a day, morning and evening. We only have them come into the cabin while we are eating dinner in the evening.

So pointless for them to come in twice a day.

3 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Perhaps someone informed her that there was a live review of quarantine conditions taking place. As many have pointed out, it’s in RCs interest to treat the “honest”travellers well. 
Hope you’re keeping well. 

I don't think Royal cares at all what is going on on little old Cruise Critic.

35 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Honestly, if they are all short on staff (and I believe that to be true) then they should not be sailing with nearly max capacity.  Pretty simple, really.

Renee, I would have been much more blunt than you.  I have to hand it to you....you handled it much better than I would have.  I definitely WOULD have high-tailed it outta there and foraged for some grub on my own !  Kudos to you !

Bingo, should still not be sailing full if the crew can't handle the extra people onboard. You are paying for a 100% normal cruises but seems you are getting closer to a 50%-75% service. It's ashame because there are still many 1st time cruisers onboard that will never cruise again on Royal because of this.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Renee for the details.

One theory on why the RS supervisor changed her tone could be that she realized her crew was at fault after doing a bit of checking.  As a manager, one often deals with customers that are making dramatic claims (not you, just in general).  And if you are a good manager with a well trained, trustworthy staff, you tend to downplay the issues.  But if you discover that your staff is covering up bad service, then you work hard to fix the issue.  She probably realized that her staff which means she herself was at fault, and is quickly fixing and retraining.  None of which should happen but does in the real world.

Glad you have a good attitude and are going forward from lobstergate :).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

A few minutes after that she calls back again. Not sure what happened but her attitude completely changed

aren't you like some super duper diamond member or something like that? With all the cruises you have done, you must have a VIP status by now. Her attitude and demeanor were abhorrent, and I hope somebody explained to her how unprofessional she was. I am glad you got your dinner at the end of it all, but I am sad a supervisor screwed up so badly. Not some "lowly" first time assistant waiter, but a supervisor!!!

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 4

Makes me wonder what type of service and food quality the crew in quarantine is getting.   

I suspect they are at the bottom of the totem pole.

Renee, you handled the situation with grace.    When feeling poorly the last thing anyone wants to do is fight to get proper warm food.

I hope today is a much better day for you😍 and I hope Mike continues to test negative.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

No chicken in chicken noodle soup? Why doesn’t she just order noodles or does she want the noodles in the broth? It does look like a coffee cup, but it was a soup cup. 

Pretty much just wants broth and noodles

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jimbo said:

For Some people this is a once in  lifetime vacation. Hate to see them end up in  quarantine cabin.

Taking a cruise during a pandemic can be problematic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Pretty much just wants broth and noodles

Sounds a bit like how my wife orders wonton soup from chinese takeout... she just wants the broth then she drops the crunchy fried noodles that come free in the broth.

Eventually I told her to just order it like a normal person and just give me the wontons.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Same here. $30.00 a day adds up. Our cat lady has made out like a bandit since cruising restarted. 🐈‍⬛🐈🐈‍⬛

Have the cats even noticed that you are away? 😉🙂

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

A few minutes after that she calls back again. Not sure what happened but her attitude completely changed. She said she was having three lobster (I asked for 2 😀) with fixings brought up. She profusely apologized and said that she would send up a lobster and a filet mignon tomorrow evening. I didn’t ask for this or anything else. I didn’t even bring up food for the next day. She also asked what time I wanted breakfast served and what I wanted, same for lunch. She said she would personally see that things were taken care of. 

I didn’t contact anyone else. I only spoke to her and Daniella who was very polite and professional. Something obviously changed and I have no idea what it was. Dinner was 2.5 hours late when it came but it was warm. There was enough food for an army, but I was going to be able to eat and I was happy.

Tomorrow aka today is a new day and lobstergate is behind me. Back to keeping myself entertained. 💍 👛 😀

I am sorry that you had to go through all of this ordeal. As a perspective, MDR room service before the pandemic would take an hour to arrive, and we would order when the MDR opened. We would beat the rush, and it still too that long without staffing shortages, shite outfits etc... 

Clearly these are not normal times, but the attitude you encountered last night was abhorrent.  I pray that your surf and turf meal tonight is the polar opposite of your experience yesterday. Your positive attitude is amazing during this soul testing experience. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

I wish we paid that.  We pay $70.00 a day plus extra now that gas prices are so high.  Some of our pets need shots and there are a lot of them.  shhh it is a secret but Samantha is getting a little sister.  

Aww...I miss those pictures of my favorite Maine Coon Cat!  Hope she is doing well.  

Sooooo little sister eh?  Another Maine Coon Cat?  🥰

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 10:41 AM, MiniChunks said:

I was on the 8 day and the FB page for that group counted somewhere around 70 positive tests since we've returned home. For such a small sample size, that's a lot of positive tests. 

Our group of 7 was not on that FB page and all tested positive after returning home. The first person to show symptoms was while driving home on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Taking a cruise during a pandemic can be problematic. 

Maybe prices for the cruises should be adjusted accordingly for sub par services onboard right  now. But that doesn't seem to be the case currently.

When getting food on a cruise is an issue, that's a huge problem. It's fine to miss shows, or any other kind of entertainment on a cruise because of lack of crew etc.

But when you can't even get the food you order in a reasonable amount of time, that a huge problem that needs to fixed without delay.

The passengers in quarantine should not still be reporting problems like this. There is no reason there is a good reason why this is still going on.

I mean really just how many passengers are really in quarantine right now that delays have to be like this? Just how many cabins? people are they trying to feed down there where they can't even keep up for those people? Makes you wonder doesn't it? are there 10 or 20 cabins down there with people in them or 100's , what is it?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

Aww...I miss those pictures of my favorite Maine Coon Cat!  Hope she is doing well.  

Sooooo little sister eh?  Another Maine Coon Cat?  🥰

I will post updates in the other thread.  Another Maine Coon from the same breeder but different parents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OP I hope you are feeling better! I had Covid last week and luckily I'm fully vaccinated and have no under lying health conditions so it was incredibly mild for me. I did self-quarantine for 8 days and wore a mask until I tested negative (yesterday). I know A LOT of people at work who had it over the last few weeks but they are all recovered now, it seems like Covid will become one of those things we just have to learn to manage just as we have with influenza. Does no one remember Norovirus outbreaks on cruises in the past? Illness will always exist and anytime you leave your home, you can be exposed regardless if you are going on a cruise or to the grocery store. I am not arguing that Covid is not a serious thing, however, just like the flu and norovirus, it's here to stay and something we will have to manage for ourselves and our personal situation. This is just my two cents on the subject and what we have been doing as a household, we wash our hands, get our vaccines and continue to take care of ourselves (vitamins, sunshine, exercise, healthy diet, etc) as that is what works for our family to stay healthy. 

Side note...I've been using Lysol wipes/spray in our cruise cabin since 1998 out of the concern for Norovirus AND I think whatever they "clean" the cabin with between passengers leaves a sticky residue on all the hard surfaces and being a texture person I had to clean it off myself for my sanity. The small Lysol sprays are so easy to pack and use on cabin door handles daily and they make the room smell good 😄

• Like 2

Good for you @ReneeFLL getting your food sorted! I hope you will be feeling well enough for the fabulous meal you should be expecting today!

Just a heads up, I'd suggest starting to insist on disembarkation information as early as you can. We're getting off this morning but have been left completely in the dark - I called Guest Services at 9:50pm last night and gave up waiting for someone to answer more than an hour later at 11:15pm. I won't bore you with a rant on onward travel and accommodation processes as luckily it sounds like you'll not need to worry about those 🙂

My final morning breakfast has just shown up - orange juice in a soup container! They have explained they have run out of plastic cups. 

IMG_20220513_062346.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ryalie1 said:

Good for you @ReneeFLL getting your food sorted! I hope you will be feeling well enough for the fabulous meal you should be expecting today!

Just a heads up, I'd suggest starting to insist on disembarkation information as early as you can. We're getting off this morning but have been left completely in the dark - I called Guest Services at 9:50pm last night and gave up waiting for someone to answer more than an hour later at 11:15pm. I won't bore you with a rant on onward travel and accommodation processes as luckily it sounds like you'll not need to worry about those 🙂

My final morning breakfast has just shown up - orange juice in a soup container! They have explained they have run out of plastic cups. 

IMG_20220513_062346.jpg

How can you run out of cups..................I mean is this  the Minnow from Gulligans Island on a 3 hour tour?

This is only a 6 day cruise isn't it?

Should be cases and cases of Paper Products onboard a ship of this size?

18 minutes ago, mandyleighflies said:

OP I hope you are feeling better! I had Covid last week and luckily I'm fully vaccinated and have no under lying health conditions so it was incredibly mild for me. I did self-quarantine for 8 days and wore a mask until I tested negative (yesterday). I know A LOT of people at work who had it over the last few weeks but they are all recovered now, it seems like Covid will become one of those things we just have to learn to manage just as we have with influenza. Does no one remember Norovirus outbreaks on cruises in the past? Illness will always exist and anytime you leave your home, you can be exposed regardless if you are going on a cruise or to the grocery store. I am not arguing that Covid is not a serious thing, however, just like the flu and norovirus, it's here to stay and something we will have to manage for ourselves and our personal situation. This is just my two cents on the subject and what we have been doing as a household, we wash our hands, get our vaccines and continue to take care of ourselves (vitamins, sunshine, exercise, healthy diet, etc) as that is what works for our family to stay healthy. 

Side note...I've been using Lysol wipes/spray in our cruise cabin since 1998 out of the concern for Norovirus AND I think whatever they "clean" the cabin with between passengers leaves a sticky residue on all the hard surfaces and being a texture person I had to clean it off myself for my sanity. The small Lysol sprays are so easy to pack and use on cabin door handles daily and they make the room smell good 😄

I agree that Covid will be sticking around longer and perhaps forever and keep mutating.  But we can't compare the 1 million lives lost to Covid to Norovirus and Influenza.  Hopefully it will weaken over time and anti-virals will become more readily available.  

I'm glad you had a mild case of Covid and have recovered.   I lost my Mom to Covid before the vaccine was developed 😞

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Makes me wonder what type of service and food quality the crew in quarantine is getting.   

I suspect they are at the bottom of the totem pole.

😍

I can help with this one as Ovation have spent most of this week thinking we are crew. Obviously crew don't get a choice a room service - they get a choice of about 4 options for each meal, and food is delivered to the whole quarantine corridor at the same time. There is a form they can fill out online with their meal choices, and if that isn't done they receive a phone call asking what they're having. I received a call asking what I wanted for breakfast at 5:44am. 

The food is cold, but that's no different to the rest of room service I've received anyway. Not sure it's really any worse than the guest food at all, just fewer options. I'll attach some screen caps from their form with the choices. 

Screenshot_2022-05-13-06-03-46-286_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-13-06-03-50-717_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-13-06-04-07-357_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, jerseygirl3 said:

I agree that Covid will be sticking around longer and perhaps forever and keep mutating.  But we can't compare the 1 million lives lost to Covid to Norovirus and Influenza.  Hopefully it will weaken over time and anti-virals will become more readily available.  

I'm glad you had a mild case of Covid and have recovered.   I lost my Mom to Covid before the vaccine was developed 😞

Sorry to hear that 😞

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

How can you run out of cups..................I mean is this  the Minnow from Gulligans Island on a 3 hour tour?

This is only a 6 day cruise isn't it?

Mine is an 8 day cruise. It explains why I didn't get my cup of ice with dinner yesterday. Also, they ran out of fries of all kinds. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

the spouse was allowed to roam freely even though his wife had Covid, and on another Covid ship, the spouse was restricted (had to eat meals inside his cabin and wear a mask.  I was questioning the inconsistency!

So sorry for the loss of your mom. If you're referring to the Harmony thread, somewhere on the first page (not first post), OP said he was instructed to wear a mask.  If that's not what you were referring to, mea culpa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Our group of 7 was not on that FB page and all tested positive after returning home. The first person to show symptoms was while driving home on Sunday.

2 people I was traveling with just tested positive yesterday, which is interesting seeing as all of the other cases I've heard about have been upon disembark. DW and I haven't tested, but feel fine

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Sorry for the loss of your mom.  I lost my mom as well due to Covid.  I agree with your comments of how it can't be compared to Norovirus and Influenza, and that it is probably here to stay.  Hopefully, treatments will be more readily available to people in all countries.  Many people in the countries that we visit don't have access to the same medical care, vaccinations and medicines that we take for granted, so it is much more serious than a "cold or flu" to some.  

I am thankful to the OP for sharing the experience of testing positive on the ship.  To the OP: Get well soon, and I hope you don't have any lingering effects from Covid.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ryalie1 said:

IMG_20220513_062346.jpg

Look Royal free soup for all those soup containers?

Campbell's®
Ready to save?
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marriner.com%2Femail_campaigns%2FCampbellsRetail%2FSingleSubject%2Fv2%2Fimages%2Fpixel_white.png&t=1652454565&ymreqid=5e1a2b11-9144-d340-2f2c-5a0010014d00&sig=l1ne8qJBkPKjAKzrmCVayg--~D
Take a moment to complete your profile, and you’ll get one (1) FREE Campbell’s® Condensed Soup of your choice. Plus, once you update your info, we’ll be able to share recipes and updates that are customized to what you and your family are craving.
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marriner.com%2Femail_campaigns%2FCampbellsRetail%2FSingleSubject%2Fv2%2Fimages%2Fpixel_white.png&t=1652454565&ymreqid=5e1a2b11-9144-d340-2f2c-5a0010014d00&sig=l1ne8qJBkPKjAKzrmCVayg--~D
Complete Profile

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ryalie1 said:

I can help with this one as Ovation have spent most of this week thinking we are crew. Obviously crew don't get a choice a room service - they get a choice of about 4 options for each meal, and food is delivered to the whole quarantine corridor at the same time. There is a form they can fill out online with their meal choices, and if that isn't done they receive a phone call asking what they're having. I received a call asking what I wanted for breakfast at 5:44am. 

The food is cold, but that's no different to the rest of room service I've received anyway. Not sure it's really any worse than the guest food at all, just fewer options. I'll attach some screen caps from their form with the choices. 

Screenshot_2022-05-13-06-03-46-286_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-13-06-03-50-717_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-13-06-04-07-357_com.android.chrome.jpg

I hope they got it straightened and realized you were not crew so you can order from the MDR or regular room service menu.       

I hope you are feeling better today for your disembarkment.    And I hope that all got straightened out.    I have heard quarantine passengers are either the first off or the last off the ship, again depends on the ship.    Are you moving into a hotel for the duration of your quarantine?

• Like 3