The Daily for Friday 05/13/2022

richwmn

23 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

When he picked up the first bottle of wine he stopped, caught my attention and asked to see my identification.

????

He carded me.

The last time that happened was in 1981--and I was 33 at the time.

Has anybody else been carded at a Trader Joe's. lately?

Haven't been to Trader Joe's in a while, but we have state run wine/liquor stores here. And they don't sell beer, that's sold at beer distributors. A few years ago they began allowing some grocery stores to sell wine and beer (no hard liquor). At my usual grocery store, they have a separate section with the alcohol, and signs saying they card everyone. They have to enter the year I think in the register. The state stores sometimes do, sometimes don't.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17

Good morning and thanks all!   Enjoying the photos, food and wine!  Not sure if we’ve been to Arhus but we’ve enjoyed Denmark a few times.  

@StLouisCruisers sorry you’re having a tough time, So hard to know what to do during these challenging times.  
@smitty34877 prayers for a quick recovery for your DB.  
@XBGuy giggles,  the year DH qualified for seniors over 50 rate was the same year he was carded in Maui, lol! 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! It was sleep in day so late in catching up and reading the Daily. I think blame it on someone else is a daily occurrence in Washington D.C.!

Vacation’s will do this but I woke up swearing today was Saturday! We still have a week to go before flying to Oakland and spending a couple of days with son and family.

Looks like a beautiful day out and the gals are already outdoors claiming their favorite spot under a partially shaded tree. For me a cup of coffee and some toast and I’ll be joining them. Later today I’ll be grilling some prime boneless Korean ribs that have been marinating over night.

We’ll be celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary Monday but our special dinner will be Sunday!

Have a great day and weekend and thanks to all who make the Daily a daily part of our lives! Mahalo!

• Like 27

I am happy to report DD is managing well and  staying on one floor for now. I brought soup over for lunch and she looked tired but  ok.

My DB sounded very tired when we spoke earlier but he is confident the antivirals will help.Thank you for your kind thoughts for him. And that includes @StLouisCruisers, @grapau27@JazzyV  @puppycanducruise, @JAM37, @mamaofami, @dfish@bennybear and @Quartzsite Cruiser. I hope I mentioned everyone.

• Like 21

Very short connection in Dallas before we board the Jacksonville flight.  Landed safely and we are in the lounge for a whole 45 minutes before heading to the gate.  Not a lot of time to write.

I will try to catch up after we get home tomorrow.

We are staying in Jacksonville tonight.

God Bless.

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I am happy to report DD is managing well and  staying on one floor for now. I brought soup over for lunch and she looked tired but  ok.

My DB sounded very tired when we spoke earlier but he is confident the antivirals will help.Thank you for your kind thoughts for him. And that includes @StLouisCruisers, @grapau27@JazzyV  @puppycanducruise, @JAM37, @mamaofami, @dfish@bennybear and @Quartzsite Cruiser. I hope I mentioned everyone.

Good new on both fronts.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday afternoon!  I haven't posted all week because I have been bogged down with Red Cross.  Monday and Tuesday were all day trainings in a town about 1-1/2 hours from here.  That trip included an overnight stay.  Wednesday I had to be fingerprinted (goes to FBI) and have lab tests for my new volunteer position with the VA.  Bless the US government for overkill--for heavens sake, I am 80 years old (and not in jail)!

I am so sorry to read of the increased number of good people who have contracted COVID.  @smitty34877prayers for your DB, and prayers for all who are having to deal with this awful virus.  I know that there has been discussion this week about boosters.  My pulmonologist advised me to get my 2nd booster in late August perhaps at same time as my flu shot.  She felt that would be a good time before my October 15 TA on the Rotterdam.  

Well, the wind is blowing this afternoon, but it is only 11 mph which is just a slight breeze compared to what we have had for the last 2 weeks.  We are "supposed" to be out of this weather pattern by the weekend.  Of course, we could definitely use rain with the increased numbers of small wildfires that continue to pop up.

I have enjoyed pictures all week of the various that so many are so fortunate to have visited on previous trips.  I am so envious.  Thanks to everyone who share so generously.

@grapau27, I love the pictures of your beautiful food, but honestly don't know how you both keep your weight down.  I would look like a blimp if I ate as well as you are able to!

Prayers for all on the Cares list, and a happy dance for those on the Celebrate list.  Thanks to all who make this a wonderful spot to chat and share.

Have a great rest of the day.

Mary Kay

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Both the meal and the drink or the day sound good to me. The wine is way above my pay-grade. Haven't been to Arhus so I am enjoying looking at the photos.

@XBGuyNot Trader Joes but everytime I buy some wine or liquor at Wallgreens or Albertsons they scan my Drivers License. ( I am 80!)

@StLouisCruisersI totally agree. I am so frustrated trying to get everything done for my upcoming cruise that I am getting upset stomach and Migranes. Why can't we just go back to the days of printing our boarding doc's, showing them and be done with it.

Jane

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

@StLouisCruisersI totally agree. I am so frustrated trying to get everything done for my upcoming cruise that I am getting upset stomach and Migranes. Why can't we just go back to the days of printing our boarding doc's, showing them and be done with it.

Jane

Jane, I say Amen to that!  Those were the good old days!

• Like 11

We had a couple of dry days, so I got in some yard work.  Yesterday I started up the lawn mower and mowed the yard, then used the battery operated weed wacker to clear the edges.  Today I broke out the walk behind gasoline weed wacker and did the hillside behind our house and then the battery operated one for final trim.  Feels good to get this done before it starts to rain again tonight.  Then we went to a local market to buy some salmon and steak that was on sale.  Their pricing is complicated.  First they list a price, then the price with their store card.  Then for a few things they list a price with a digital coupon, which you have to download and click before you leave home.  Sounds kind of stupid, but if I can save a few bucks I will go for it.  With the digital coupon the t-bone steak was $5.77 a pound, down from about twelve dollars; the salmon was $4.77 a pound.  I noticed that my car was low on gas and heard on the news that we can expect to see $6.00 a gallon gas next month for the summer driving season, so I stopped in Costco to fill it up.  Since I bought the car in 2017, I keep a notebook in it with all the gas fillups and miles driven.  Was surprised (and happy) to notice that this is the first time I have added gas since January.  The car is a Prius Prime, which gets 25 to 32 miles on its battery between charges at home and 90% of our driving is less than 25 miles around town.  I have thought about getting a pure electric vehicle, but since we have an extra regular car to drive if necessary, I am not too concerned that the car companies seem to be dragging their heels on making one easily available.  In other words, today was a good day!

Ray

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good (late) afternoon all!

It has been quite a day, and a Friday the 13th to remember.  

Yesterday DH and I decided to get tested for Covid at our clinic before getting our 2nd boosters.  I've had mild symptoms, and I didn't want to get the vaccine now if I'm sick already.  Last night we got our results, both negative --- good.  Then early this morning I had a message on MyChart under "Doctor's comments" and it said my test results were positive, I have Covid!  I was confused because all I could see was the "negative" on my test results...but of course wanted to hear from the doctor about her comments..

I sent a couple messages to her, didn't hear back.  I called.  Wait times were ridiculous.  Finally late this afternoon I got through and a very helpful MA got a message to the doctor and immediately got back to me that it was an error, I do NOT have Covid.  Whew, what a day.  I feel like the day was a total waste, just spent worrying all day.  (even though DH's results were negative, and a home test done today was negative, I do have those mild symptoms).  We now have appointments to get our 2nd boosters tomorrow.

I love the John Lennon quote, will pass on the drink with coconut, and the red (expensive) wine.  The meal sounds delicious.  Have never been to Arhus, thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers, Kay @kb4683 and Lenda@Quartzsite Cruiserfor the photos.  I would love to see that Viking museum and also Den Gamie By.  Kay I agree, that sandwich looks delicious.

Terry @smitty34877prayers for your DB that he has a mild case.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Just a quick check in.....will fill in tomorrow morning. Got an alert on my phone this pm..."pre evacuation due to Ute Pass fire". OooooKay. Ute Pass is fairly close to me as the crow flies,  but no sign of fire. Double checked.... there is a fire at Ute Pass but they sent the notice out to a larger area than needed. Not meant for me. Whew. A large air tanker has gone over my condo so hopefully they are on it fast enough. Winds are dropping but expected to increase tomorrow. Hopefully they can get a good handle on it this evening.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Just a quick check in.....will fill in tomorrow morning. Got an alert on my phone this pm..."pre evacuation due to Ute Pass fire". OooooKay. Ute Pass is fairly close to me as the crow flies,  but no sign of fire. Double checked.... there is a fire at Ute Pass but they sent the notice out to a larger area than needed. Not meant for me. Whew. A large air tanker has gone over my condo so hopefully they are on it fast enough. Winds are dropping but expected to increase tomorrow. Hopefully they can get a good handle on it this evening.

🙏 for your safety!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, XBGuy said:

OK, I had a weird, non-ocean going, experience, yesterday.

I went to Trader Joe's for a provisioning run.  (For non-U.S. readers, Trader Joe's is a chain of grocery stores.)  Among other things, I picked up some fresh basil, tomatoes and mozzarella for guess what.  Before I left I grabbed a few bottles of Mrs, XBGuy's favorite Chardonnays.  I pushed my quite full cart up to a cashier, pulled my bags out of the cart and moved to the end of the counter to help by bagging my items after the cashier scanned them.  When he picked up the first bottle of wine he stopped, caught my attention and asked to see my identification.

????

He carded me.

Congratulations!

I’ve never been carded at TJs, and I’m not that far from you. I didn’t even get carded when I went to Senior Hour at TJs on my 60th birthday. Nor when I went to Costco Senior hours. 

Target requires an ID from everyone and the cashier has to key it in when you purchase alcohol. So guess who needed to go to Target that same day?

• Like 10

3 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@USN59-79Were you at Safeway or Fred Meyer 😊? Both places drive me nuts because it's so complicated you're never sure if you received the proper sale price!

Fred Meyer.  They used to have a flyer at the entrance so you could check the different prices.  Not now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, XBGuy said:

OK, I had a weird, non-ocean going, experience, yesterday.

I went to Trader Joe's for a provisioning run.  (For non-U.S. readers, Trader Joe's is a chain of grocery stores.)  Among other things, I picked up some fresh basil, tomatoes and mozzarella for guess what.  Before I left I grabbed a few bottles of Mrs, XBGuy's favorite Chardonnays.  I pushed my quite full cart up to a cashier, pulled my bags out of the cart and moved to the end of the counter to help by bagging my items after the cashier scanned them.  When he picked up the first bottle of wine he stopped, caught my attention and asked to see my identification.

????

He carded me.

Never have been carded at TJ’s but at Target the only way you can buy alcohol is to have your drivers license scanned on the purchase. Once I forgot and had to run back to the car to get it and then trudge back in. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1