The Daily for Thursday 05/19/2022

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A salute to Boys Club, the forerunner of the current inclusive Boys & Girls Clubs - everything has to start somewhere.  Today I'll be filling up my tiered planter with soil and planting lettuce and radishes.  It's small enough that if (when) we get frost, I can simply toss a cover over it.  You don't realize how inaccessible the world is until your mobility is compromised.

I don't think I slept a wink last night - I went from alert straight on to coma.  DH was beside me again, so I could relax and rest.  Because he didn't sleep well the night before, when we returned home yesterday afternoon, most of it was spent with his eyes closed, so I'm sure he stayed up late watching television.  I think we'll be back on our regular sleep schedule tonight.

We had another nice rain overnight - the lawns are bright green and it's so nice to see leaves coming out on almost all the trees.  We're itching to put our plants outside, but there's a cold front moving in for the next few days which means overnight temperatures will dip below freezing, so we'll be living with the plants crowding us out of the deck for the next little while.  Hopefully next week they'll go into their outdoor pots and we'll be able to start the fountain up again as well.

@msmayorI'm sorry that your DSIL has testes positive for Covid; hopefully his isolation will keep your DD and sweet little Lana safe from it.  

@JAM37you make me tired just reading all that you and your DH are doing to get your home ready - kudos to the two of you for doing so much for your family.

@kazu I hope your administrative duties yesterday weren't too hard on you.

I'd like to try today's wine selection, but really, creosote?  Dried tobacco?  Chewy structure?   Hmmm.   I really like the sound of today's menu suggestion, but know DH would balk at the runny fried egg.  I'm going to try making it, but will scramble the egg instead - that should make it edible for him.  Of course, will make sure there's "enough" garlic.  LOL    It's looking like we'll have the linguine and a tossed salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are giving them assistance.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate everyone on the much larger (yay) happy list.  Stay safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Dailyites!  Yesterday ended up being a very weird day -a complete series of unfortunate events...

cat to vet- ok he went for rabies shot, and hid from us for 3 hours upon returning home

fixed brunch

DH started work, I walk dog

work one hour

head to dentist

dentist says a filling has fallen out, no emergency-schedule an appointment-get to the front desk, it's either next week or October-dentist is having surgery and will need a very long recuperation time-I chose October.

stop on the way home from the dentist, gas tank is VERY low-put in card, put nozzle in car turn on gas, and gas starts pouring all over my feet because the hose has been cut.  turn off hose go to another pump.  fill up, walk in and tell attendant about his hose.  he goes out and checks... i leave smelling of gas, all over feet and sandals.

get home and back on the phone, all calls have the same response-unable to dial the customer- after 3 hours of this, i tell my boss if no one answers i'm calling it a day.  someone answered. but at 8 i shut off and watch masked singer.  I go back on at 9, and now I have no phone connection.  I really do call it a day.  

go to bed early, my left side is hurting, thinking sleeping will help.  two cats get into a hissing fight, one spring boards away using my head and ear as the board, now head bleeding, ear bleeding. i'm up again.

stop bleeding and clean head and ear with witch hazel, wake up at 3 with leg cramps, go back to bed, and now, my back starts hurting again. get up and walk around in the dark, then back to bed, and i slept until 8.  back still hurts and i have to be at work in 20 minutes.  no breakfast.  lunch and dinner will be left overs.

c3fbd761fbef950c47c83a8c58293b3d.jpg

@kazu I'm so glad you figured out an easier way to load the tank, and now have bbq to look forward to this spring and summer.

@msmayor I am sorry to read about your DSIL with Covid.  I hope he feels better fast! AND that your DD and DGC are staying safe and doing well.

@rafinmd Please take my DH off the list for right now, he and his doc are working through the pain,  apparently the longer he stays on one of the meds, the more it works.  He was told the other option is to have the nerve surgery and he said he has had far too many surgeries, so he will learn to live with this unless it becomes totally unbearable.  He seems to be doing much better.  Have a great cruise!  

@cat shepardI loved your meme today!

Have a great day everyone, and know that you are loved.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from central Texas.  It looks like we'll be in the 90s fior a few more days with high winds.  A cool front is supposed to come through Saturday night, then we'll be in the 70s and 80s for a few days with a chance of much needed rain.

Boys (and Girls) Club should be honored for the work they do.  Accessibility is becoming more prevalent, but there is still a lot more that needs to be done.  When we lived in PA, we had a vegetable garden, and the DDs like helping me with it.  Now, we normally travel too much to have one.  Our younger DD usually plants a small one.

I like today’s quote and our education is life long compared to our formal schooling. 

I think we'll pass on the meal.  I like fried eggs and pasta, but I'm not sure about having them together in one dish.  The drink sounds interesting as does the wine.  @cat shepard  Ann, I know what creosote smells like when wooden utility poles are coated with it for protection.  Also, creosote bushes grow wild around Quartzsite.

We have been to La Harve twice.  In 2004, we were there over night on Noordam III and took the train to Paris the first day.  The second day we rented a car and drove to Caen and the Normandy beaches.  The second time was in 2009 on Tahitian Princess, and we took the transfer to Paris.  I will look for pictures.

@msmayor  Connie, I'm sorry your DSIL has covid.  It hope it's a mild case, and that he gets the antiviral medicine.  I'm sending positive thoughts that your DD and Lana stay negative.

@kazu  i hope your day setting the plants out is relaxing after yesterday.  Thank you for the memes and today's laughs. Great picture of everyone on the Normandy beach.

@marshhawk  Ann, hope today is a better day for you.  Glad your DH and his doctor are working on managing the pain.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I'm checked in for both of my flights, but I have a boarding pass only for Vienna-Athens, not for the flight to Vienna. This is because Austrian allows check-in 47 hours in advance, but the U.S. allows issuing boarding passes only 24 hours in advance.

I need to mow my front lawn before I go, and from the weather forecast it appears that I need to do it before noon. The neighbor to the rear will run his riding mower over the back lawn while I'm away.

I took almost no photos during my last cruise, the one to the Bermuda Triangle. For this one, I don't want to carry the DSLR and its various lenses, so I'm taking a compact superzoom camera. It's about twice the thickness of a pocket camera and somewhat heavier, but a lot less bulk and weight than the DSLR and interchangeable lenses. I'll also take some pictures with my phone, mainly for social media.

• Like 27

On May 20, 2015 our cruise on Royal Princess stopped at the port of LeHavre, France.  It was a long port stop because many people like to head out for tours of Paris and Normandy from there.  Our Myrtle Beach buddies were with us that trip and he sent me his photos when we got home, and I sent him mine.  However he didn't change the time on his camera to reflect the local time.  That means his photos are all out of sequence with mine (6 hours difference).  So I'm working my way through them all and trying my best. 

We went to Paris that day, so here goes! 

One of our first sights was the Arc de Triompe.  It's situated in the middle of a huge roundabout so the bus went around and around the roundabout several times so everyone could get a good look at it.  We did not stop there of course, so all photos are taken through bus windows.

Here we are approaching the roundabout and the excitement builds.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0dnPlDGPylR5AtrVsffni?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192045

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJp9MSOeOAME1sTneMzJC1g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192075

The glass roofed Grand Palais built for the World Fair of 1900.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVImTNHhUWhiCoI34CgQ4xQC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435195040

Heading down the famous Champs-Elysees stuck in a major traffic jam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKR4b5AlNjfIx716FizHzL-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192081

The Place de la Concorde which is a large public square.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJn6zFvLS38xFjzVBAqVAZ3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192126

Again, the Place de la Concorde with the Luxor Obelisk to the left.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKsBmsFmd7PM9l3BYjZAB7F?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192130

The Pantheon00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJC5db783w8ygxVre2ox_x8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192142

The Palais Garnier Opera House with the gold statues on top00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMiDQxo40fkKqPQYjshPDn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192167

Maxim's the famous French Restaurant in Paris00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIknDE9eehkgc6WAOLTZn54?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192137

We passed the Louvre briefly.  It would be great to have a tour of the Louvre next time.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLkzPMgJgpJizEX-d7dJpPG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192211

We saw the Conciergerie which was a former prison that once housed Marie Antoinette.  It was part of the Royal Palace, the Palaise de la Cite.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIN8wTHJzOCU9TyAExevoWD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192242

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0yHvEUYpcpeMgX6PqHBps?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1652965866

The sun came out as we arrived at our lunch restaurant, Chez Jenny.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJyRip5u_xZorr8jyjqs7O-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192282

There were quite a few people from Princess tours eating there, but it all turned out great.  The meal included wine and dessert so no complaints from us!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGzx5gkhj7B2_J4qZQWWJz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192271

The Colonne de Juillet, a column with a Spirit of Liberty statue on top, the the Place de la Bastille.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJ-j3RikIUeyJJbJNzMVOW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192293

Onward, we saw the Hotel De Ville00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2QE615Pqxnb_ZcxWZONuy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192315

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVItxwxC9ARuGoolese5TpIC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192339

The bus let us off here so we could walk to the Notre Dame Cathedral.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1y3ZKLNUZThFJJn1BGRYE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192354

We walked across the Seine on this bridge to get to the Cathedral.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVImV5ilqkJKxf31OsciKYib?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192384

Notre Dame00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVInTK5WktmJ_3Nh2rBx2eiM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192509

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuMy9j-BDuqEKhxZL-yGh3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192518

We went inside but the photos didn't do it justice.  Poor lighting maybe. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKOneMQj_Hc6_XujNT-kNYM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435195058

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIBoiNqkjo6YgaSIIy71MYg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435195059

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVInYlGkc-hCL2Iopd2LWTN1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192445

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNqc1szsNgUuQPIzB_env2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192453

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLaImJTWDWiZnprrZoYvnAY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192456

Statue outside Notre Dame of Charlemagne00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0FLHjNDc7BRPJ2acyQC-I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192501

Last we saw the Eiffel Tower.  We all wanted more time here but we had a long way back to the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJUSsffwXB0BaKdyoM7QyJW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192722

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJnSKP0RZEOC1jrJyZLqgBz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192723

We were a little delayed by traffic, and were the last tour back to the ship.  Thankfully they wait for ship's tours!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqOZpdMByAH4Sl6k-hnqG2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192744

But we didn't miss our late dining that evening, thank goodness!  It was Baked Alaska night.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKuefmPNcdRJrxlI1PM_GKf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192747

What a day!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 9

18 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

On May 20, 2015 our cruise on Royal Princess stopped at the port of LeHavre, France.  It was a long port stop because many people like to head out for tours of Paris and Normandy from there.  Our Myrtle Beach buddies were with us that trip and he sent me his photos when we got home, and I sent him mine.  However he didn't change the time on his camera to reflect the local time.  That means his photos are all out of sequence with mine (6 hours difference).  So I'm working my way through them all and trying my best. 

We went to Paris that day, so here goes! 

One of our first sights was the Arc de Triompe.  It's situated in the middle of a huge roundabout so the bus went around and around the roundabout several times so everyone could get a good look at it.  We did not stop there of course, so all photos are taken through bus windows.

Here we are approaching the roundabout and the excitement builds.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0dnPlDGPylR5AtrVsffni?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192045

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJp9MSOeOAME1sTneMzJC1g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192075

The glass roofed Grand Palais built for the World Fair of 1900.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVImTNHhUWhiCoI34CgQ4xQC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435195040

Heading down the famous Champs-Elysees stuck in a major traffic jam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKR4b5AlNjfIx716FizHzL-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192081

The Place de la Concorde which is a large public square.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJn6zFvLS38xFjzVBAqVAZ3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192126

Again, the Place de la Concorde with the Luxor Obelisk to the left.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKsBmsFmd7PM9l3BYjZAB7F?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192130

The Pantheon00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJC5db783w8ygxVre2ox_x8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192142

The Palais Garnier Opera House with the gold statues on top00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMiDQxo40fkKqPQYjshPDn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192167

Maxim's the famous French Restaurant in Paris00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIknDE9eehkgc6WAOLTZn54?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192137

We passed the Louvre briefly.  It would be great to have a tour of the Louvre next time.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLkzPMgJgpJizEX-d7dJpPG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192211

We saw the Conciergerie which was a former prison that once housed Marie Antoinette.  It was part of the Royal Palace, the Palaise de la Cite.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIN8wTHJzOCU9TyAExevoWD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192242

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0yHvEUYpcpeMgX6PqHBps?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1652965866

The sun came out as we arrived at our lunch restaurant, Chez Jenny.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJyRip5u_xZorr8jyjqs7O-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192282

There were quite a few people from Princess tours eating there, but it all turned out great.  The meal included wine and dessert so no complaints from us!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGzx5gkhj7B2_J4qZQWWJz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192271

The Colonne de Juillet, a column with a Spirit of Liberty statue on top, the the Place de la Bastille.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJ-j3RikIUeyJJbJNzMVOW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192293

Onward, we saw the Hotel De Ville00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2QE615Pqxnb_ZcxWZONuy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192315

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVItxwxC9ARuGoolese5TpIC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192339

The bus let us off here so we could walk to the Notre Dame Cathedral.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1y3ZKLNUZThFJJn1BGRYE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192354

We walked across the Seine on this bridge to get to the Cathedral.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVImV5ilqkJKxf31OsciKYib?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192384

Notre Dame00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVInTK5WktmJ_3Nh2rBx2eiM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192509

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuMy9j-BDuqEKhxZL-yGh3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192518

We went inside but the photos didn't do it justice.  Poor lighting maybe. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKOneMQj_Hc6_XujNT-kNYM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435195058

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIBoiNqkjo6YgaSIIy71MYg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435195059

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVInYlGkc-hCL2Iopd2LWTN1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192445

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNqc1szsNgUuQPIzB_env2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192453

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLaImJTWDWiZnprrZoYvnAY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192456

Statue outside Notre Dame of Charlemagne00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0FLHjNDc7BRPJ2acyQC-I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192501

Last we saw the Eiffel Tower.  We all wanted more time here but we had a long way back to the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJUSsffwXB0BaKdyoM7QyJW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192722

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJnSKP0RZEOC1jrJyZLqgBz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192723

We were a little delayed by traffic, and were the last tour back to the ship.  Thankfully they wait for ship's tours!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqOZpdMByAH4Sl6k-hnqG2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192744

But we didn't miss our late dining that evening, thank goodness!  It was Baked Alaska night.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKuefmPNcdRJrxlI1PM_GKf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435192747

What a day!

Fantastic photos of Paris Sandi.

We went to Paris for our honeymoon 41 years ago in August.

We were also in Paris a few days after Princess Diana died and we visited the site of the accident which was covered in Flowers by mourners.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is from one of my longer Blount voyages, Rhode Island to Chicago on the Grand Mariner in 2008.  As May 19 started we were cruising Long Island Sound approaching New York City:

IMG_0980.JPG.dfe5ba6b6d9e5f6b8fe454b4fb0ad075.JPG

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

Our drizzle and rain (and even hail again yesterday!) are changing to sunshine and warmer temps for the next few days.  Maybe up to --- 70 on Sunday!! ---

Good collection of days.  I've had some wonderful big vegetable gardens in the past, but now only have room for a few pots of tomatoes and peppers.  There's nothing like fresh-picked corn from the garden.  I miss that.  

We've been to Le Havre once.  That day we rented a car and drove to the D-Day Beaches.  Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor the photos of Paris (my favorite European city).  And Terry's @smitty34877photos of Giverny.  We were there on our first trip to Paris in 1999 for our 30th anniversary.

I will pass on the red wine and the meal.  (am I the only one who can't get past an egg sitting on top of pasta??)  I like fried eggs, even runny fried eggs, but not with pasta.  

Connie @msmayorI'm so sorry to hear that your DSIL has Covid.  Prayers that it remains mild and that your DD and Lana don't get it.  

Carol @mamaofamiwe must have the same garbage company.  I just shake my head over some of the things they do. 

• Like 25

It's been a frustrating morning.  I went to take my Binax-Now test and Emed wouldn't let me log in or reset my password.  After much difficulty I was able to set up a new account with a different variation of my email address and take the test.  Negative.  It's within the 2-day window but can't see a way right now to report it to the app.  I did submit it for my Bermuda travel authorization.

@kazuI board Saturday but Bayonne is a bit of a long drive.  I have a hotel in New Jersey overnight,

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

We were in Le Havre on June 7 and 8, 2004.  On June 7, we took the train into Paris for the day.  Using a combination of the Metro, Ho-Ho, and walking, we saw quite a bit of the city.  I tried to chose different pictures of our day than the ones @StLouisCruisers Sandi posted.

These first pictures were taken from the Ho-Ho as we got an idea of Paris.

IMG_3494.thumb.JPG.2de4e21f5b41904f305c201cfb302e8e.JPG

IMG_3502.thumb.JPG.e595d83a2114136569b16253c38ba77e.JPG

IMG_3503.thumb.JPG.25fb7564af9deacfca6b5a38a6a608dc.JPG

That day, there were long lines at the Louvre, so we decided to stay on the bus.  We got off at Notre Dame and walked through the church.  There was some renovation going on, and a temporary wall was erected in front of the main altar.  A group was putting on a concert and the church was crowded.  We also walked around the back of the church and across the Seine before returning to the front of Notre Dame to re-board the Ho-Ho.

IMG_3508.thumb.JPG.452aec3dfe65e00300a1085b35ad808a.JPG

IMG_3515.thumb.JPG.c3455b13f113af06306e1f4144b64ff3.JPG

IMG_3517.thumb.JPG.eb875056793d191bb73d418597ac9d05.JPG

We walked down the crowded sidewalk on the Champs-Elysees and found a sidewalk café for a sandwich and a coke, which turned out to be our lunch and dinner.

IMG_3528.thumb.JPG.3435a34f6013200d50ebde81a1817308.JPG

The Arch de Triomphe 

IMG_3530.thumb.JPG.2b1826bbcba82062bd50d40492b57c50.JPG

Our next stop was the Eiffel Tower.  DH went all the way to the top, but because I got nervous looking up at the top as we waited to buy our entrance tickets, I stopped on the mid level, where I explored both floors of that level.

IMG_3535.thumb.JPG.49a0dc584264f334db09fed1a4dbafb0.JPG

IMG_3537.thumb.JPG.ce296e6a096a4aaba867e766d506527f.JPG

Looking out from the tower

IMG_3542.thumb.JPG.92a495ef688ec31defb8428916c6ae40.JPG

The stairs you can walk to get to the top if you're really fit and a wheel for the elevator cable

IMG_3557.thumb.JPG.3235ada8b8740b101046a540a4a01ef2.JPG

IMG_3559.thumb.JPG.bd33e9a12a179c8622ca0badb352eb86.JPG

It was getting late, so we headed to the train station.  We were in time for the train, if I hadn't misread the schedule.  That train was not running the day we were there, and we had an hour or more to wait for the next one.  We got back on the Metro and headed to the Arch de Triomphe where we went up on the top.  This picture is looking back down the Champs-Elysees, which was not as congested by that time.

IMG_3567.thumb.JPG.17916630347ad63048f3502b1cedc53e.JPG

We made it back to Le Havre about midnight.  There was one taxi at the train station, and a couple jumped in ahead of those who had been waiting.  The driver said more taxis were coming.  After waiting about 15-30 minutes, DH called to get more taxis, and we finally made it to the ship about 1 am.  It was a long but interesting day.

The next morning, we rented a car and drove to Caen and visited the Peace Museum.  Also drove to the beaches and then took the coast road back to Le Havre.  I know I took pictures after we left the museum, but I can't find them right now.  These are the pictures from the museum, starting with part of the Berlin Wall.

IMG_3573.thumb.JPG.944d2e321cbd89770956651d5216ca9a.JPG

IMG_3576.thumb.JPG.4451673bc19ed54c12c5c21cc8f226df.JPG

IMG_3577.thumb.JPG.20246985baa0ffd47a078d6f7ed60eb5.JPG

IMG_3578.thumb.JPG.7536f38fe245cdb30e4ceff9315b933c.JPG

There will be more pictures to follow.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 10

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were in Le Havre on June 7 and 8, 2004.  On June 7, we took the train into Paris for the day.  Using a combination of the Metro, Ho-Ho, and walking, we saw quite a bit of the city.  I tried to chose different pictures of our day than the ones @StLouisCruisers Sandi posted.

That day, there were long lines at the Louvre, so we decided to stay on the bus.  We got off at Notre Dame and walked through the church.  There was some renovation going on, and a temporary wall was erected in front of the main altar.  A group was putting on a concert and the church was crowded.  We also walked around the back of the church and across the Seine before returning to the front of Notre Dame to re-board the Ho-Ho.

We walked down the crowded sidewalk on the Champs-Elysees and found a sidewalk café for a sandwich and a coke, which turned out to be our lunch and dinner.

The Arch de Triomphe 

Our next stop was the Eiffel Tower.  DH went all the way to the top, but because I got nervous looking up at the top as we waited to buy our entrance tickets, I stopped on the mid level, where I explored both floors of that level.

The stairs you can walk to get to the top if you're really fit and a wheel for the elevator cable

It was getting late, so we headed to the train station.  We were in time for the train, if I hadn't misread the schedule.  That train was not running the day we were there, and we had an hour or more to wait for the next one.  We got back on the Metro and headed to the Arch de Triomphe where we went up on the top.  This picture is looking back down the Champs-Elysees, which was not as congested by that time.

We made it back to Le Havre about midnight.  There was one taxi at the train station, and a couple jumped in ahead of those who had been waiting.  The driver said more taxis were coming.  After waiting about 15-30 minutes, DH called to get more taxis, and we finally made it to the ship about 1 am.  It was a long but interesting day.

Lenda

Nice collection of photos Lenda.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The Arch de Triomphe 

Lenda

I'm enjoying seeing the closeups of the Eiffel Tower and from the top of the Arc de Triomphe.  But boy that was one long day for you two!

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Nice collection of photos Lenda.

Thanks, Graham.  I just added the ones from Caen that were taken the next day.

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm enjoying seeing the closeups of the Eiffel Tower and from the top of the Arc de Triomphe.  But boy that was one long day for you two!

It was a long day, but we were almost 20 years younger.  😄

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

Good morning, Dailyites!  Thanks to Rich, Roy and everyone who posts.  I am always amazed nowadays when I see photos of crowds of people not wearing masks, lol!  How times have changed.....

My arm is a bit sore and I feel rather lethargic today, but I'm happy to be boosted.  I don't think I am ready to make a vegetable garden yet, there's a lot of cleanup to do after yesterday's windstorm.  DD drove through the park last evening and said the bus ahead of her had to stop and then carefully go around part of a fallen tree.  She hoped the bus driver was reporting it.  Evidently there are still a lot of houses without power.  But now the sun is shining and the trees are still.  

I'm sure I've been in Le Havre a few times in the distant past.  Is that where car ferries dock from England?  I've been across the Channel a number of times.  We won't have the meal of the day, DD has promised ramen, so it will be soupy noodles, I guess!

Hope everyone has a good day.  I'll be praying for those that need prayers, and toasting those celebrating!

• Like 23

Good morning.  I'm on task today, as I put in tomatoes, peppers and kale yesterday; we support our Boy's and Girl's Club, and our visit to Le Havre has a tie-in with Global Accessibility Awareness.

We visited Le Havre in 2013, rented a car and drove to Honfleur, a small nautical village in the Calvados region.  It's a picture-perfect French village and the drive to it, through the apple-growing region, is beautiful.

A few years later, we stopped in Le Havre again on a cruise with DMIL and wanted to show her Honfleur.  Perhaps it was a holiday there.  In any case, we literally could not find a place to park the car that was manageable for elderly DMIL.  We had to skip the place and just do a scenic drive for her.  No accessibility that day in France.

@msmayor, I'm so sorry your DD has another challenge.  Things come in threes, right?  She's had her three; on to better days!

@marshhawk, I hope today is an improvement over yesterday.

@dfish's pasta looks so good; think I'll do something like that tonight.  Like others, no egg on top.

@rafinmd, Roy, sorry your testing process has been rocky. 

Many thanks to Rich and all Contributors here.  Wishing everyone a safe and lovely day.

• Like 26

@Vict0riann  Ann, I'm glad your only side effect of the booster is a sore arm and a little lethargy.  It's a small price to pay for being boosted.

We were back in Le Havre on September 18, 2009, on Tahitian Princess.  That time since we were not in port overnight, we took the ship's transfer to Paris.  From the drop-off point, we took both loops of the Ho-Ho and then toured the Louvre, or at least part of it in the time we had left in Paris.  

These are random pictures taken as the Ho-Ho drove around Paris.

IMG_6611.thumb.JPG.b253b361837b7440ba731f034f0967f8.JPG

IMG_6612.thumb.JPG.21a2db14fafeac28398e0052e5ae9b94.JPG

IMG_6626.thumb.JPG.6cb9fbe06ff5efc172b251f291a3b12b.JPG

IMG_6640.thumb.JPG.04f328f37de401ff0e503fe43f19be40.JPG

IMG_6641.thumb.JPG.7e50f31417c02f6c5e763d4c6f194cc1.JPG

IMG_6642.thumb.JPG.78971f967d960f8c0c4a257d7b467ccf.JPG

IMG_6710.thumb.JPG.580b8ac121fc8aebc2e9b7e8c5301be5.JPG

We also drove by their very modern library, but I guess I didn't get any pictures.

These next pictures are from the Louvre. 

IMG_6653.thumb.JPG.f2c9e089deccaa2fcde4d14c7c48bb44.JPG

IMG_6655.thumb.JPG.609e7214f76322aa9ad87c7027185c77.JPG

IMG_6663.thumb.JPG.9b2f18d8f1a5b0c3f5ae02083b5ebf41.JPG

We were surprised at how small the Mona Lisa is.  The second pictures give a good idea how small.

IMG_6660.thumb.JPG.36f8f6b63828b9eb519f8176434f1094.JPG

IMG_6664.thumb.JPG.ecba21ba0721df668e21a2f3d505a184.JPG

We then went down to the lowest level and saw some of the ancient Roman statures including Venus de Milo.

IMG_6668.thumb.JPG.7ab390347b90b7f8db3ee9d4f8f52a62.JPG

We also saw the walls of the palace that is now the Louvre.

IMG_6678.thumb.JPG.ff13a4c0fd1e3fddfb68af3315e270af.JPG

The entrance hall under one of the pyramids.

IMG_6689.thumb.JPG.70002edd21f9fe3441b53cd0968b98a9.JPG

We were lucky that the Louvre was not very crowded that day.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. A salute to the Boys/Girls Clubs, vegetable gardens and accessibility. Growing up, my Mother maintained a large vegetable garden, and froze many for winter use. I only do a couple of tomato plants for just me. I like the quote.

The meal is interesting, but carby. Pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine.

I've been to Paris on a land trip, but not LeHarve. Thanks for the pictures.

It was overcast this AM, but is clearing up. I would like to get a couple of tomato plants in the ground today. My back (muscles) have been really bothering me; it's hard to get out of bed, but once I get going I'm ok. I've had this before and took a short course of high dose steroids, but after the side effects I vowed not to do that again. BFF wants to go out to eat later; maybe we can eat outdoors.

@St Pete Cruiser Thanks for the pictures from your cruise.

@rafinmd Thank you for our lists. Safe travels tomorrow.

@msmayor Sorry to hear that DSIL has Covid; prayers for a quick recovery for him and that DD and Lana stay well.

@smitty34877 Good to hear that DB is now negative. 

@JAM37 I'd imagine you're both tired with all you've been doing. Safe travels for DH.

@kazu Hopefully the garden work will be a stress reliever and relaxing.

@marshhawk Sorry you had such an unfortunate event filled day yesterday. I'm glad DH is doing better.

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine. Cheers to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone and Happy Thursday!

Wow, the pictures of Paris are absolutely lovely!  Thanks to everyone who posted pictures and experiences. I can’t wait to visit someday. 

I would prefer carbonara over today’s dish but I have seen fried eggs on pasta before. 

Connie @msmayor — I hope your DSIL feels better soon. I’m sure this is a setback for your DD not having him with her and baby Lana in the evenings. I remember as a new mother being so thankful when my DH came home from work so I could have some help. Hopefully they won’t get it since he is quarantined. 

And thanks to @bennybear, @AncientWanderer, @Cruising-along, @kazu, @Quartzsite Cruiser, and @VictOriann for all the suggestions and comments about Taormina on yesterday’s Daily. I have decided to cancel the tour for myself, although Craig might still go. I checked Cruise Mapper and it looks like we will tender to Naxos. Right now there aren’t any transfers listed from Naxos to Taormina but I’m sure they supply a shuttle service of some kind. 

Have a great day everyone!

FB3BFB22-9DA8-4372-8331-D7E673BEF90F.jpeg.98186ae574a694bedf2f46b6a98f6a92.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Such a cute picture of Camilla!  She's really come a long way, hasn't she?❤️

We are just so thrilled to see her progress.The PT she sees at home thinks she should be walking within 4 months or so. She is a busy baby now!

• Like 19