Live from quarantine on Royal

Colorado Coasty

34 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

(and not to upset those who apparently do not want to hear anything negative)

Yeah, I definitely get that, but I also think that most people really do want to know what they’re getting into when they cruise.  It’s important the truth is told, and the cheerleaders not be allowed to control the conversation. Good luck navigating the next several days. 

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

We are in a hotel in the Seattle area. The Princess medical rep that the doctor on Royal told my wife to check in with, is nonexistent. Basically on our own, no guidance as to when we should end quarantine, so I just picked a day.

In the interest of brevity (and not to upset those who apparently do not want to hear anything negative), I will not go into detail about the disembarkation and transfer. However the comments I have heard from the majority of fellow cruisers at the hotel range from "the cruise from hell" to "never again". 

We will be home in a couple of days and can't wait. 

Will give serious consideration to our next booked cruise.

I am so sorry. Hope you will be safely home soon! Glad you made it to Seattle.

If you feel comfortable at some point sharing information - some of us would appreciate it. I don't live near a port and am curious how things are handled.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Yeah, I definitely get that, but I also think that most people really do want to know what they’re getting into when they cruise.  It’s important the truth is told, and the cheerleaders not be allowed to control the conversation. Good luck navigating the next several days. 

Agreed. I want to hear the experiences and then make the best decision for myself.  Its hard though because a scenario that is 'terrible' for one person could be  'oh well..' for another. And the ship responses to Covid passengers seem to be inconsistent.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:47 AM, antsp said:

If I self tested and tested positive, I would no tell Princess, especially if it was towards the end of the cruise. 

Your grace towards others is amazing.

Sadly, I think there are many more like you, who don't post their plans...

• Like 2

I too am curious as to whether Princess put you and your wife on a coach to Seattle to at least get you out of Canada to quarantine. 

I hope you both test negative prior to boarding a plane home in order to protect others and wish you safe travels home. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

We are in a hotel in the Seattle area. The Princess medical rep that the doctor on Royal told my wife to check in with, is nonexistent. Basically on our own, no guidance as to when we should end quarantine, so I just picked a day.

In the interest of brevity (and not to upset those who apparently do not want to hear anything negative), I will not go into detail about the disembarkation and transfer. However the comments I have heard from the majority of fellow cruisers at the hotel range from "the cruise from hell" to "never again". 

Thanks for the update on  your situation . So frustrating to hear that Princess dropped the ball and now you can not get a hold of your go to person for guidance on how long  you are supposed to be in the Seattle area hotel. Do please post when you get a chance of everything that you’ve been through just helps others see what to be prepared for. Seems inconsistent at best from passenger to passenger. ,ship to ship.

i’m thinK it’s 5 day isolation,( count test day as 0)then go about your business, masked. Test on day 5 or when you get back home.

Were  there other Covid + cruise passengers and their traveling partners with you from Vancouver to Seattle?

Hope your symptoms are  mild and go away quick and your plane ride home a good one.

47 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I too am curious as to whether Princess put you and your wife on a coach to Seattle to at least get you out of Canada to quarantine. 

That would be highly illegal.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Thanks for the update on  your situation . So frustrating to hear that Princess dropped the ball and now you can not get a hold of your go to person for guidance on how long  you are supposed to be in the Seattle area hotel. Do please post when you get a chance of everything that you’ve been through just helps others see what to be prepared for. Seems inconsistent at best from passenger to passenger. ,ship to ship.

i’m thinK it’s 5 day isolation,( count test day as 0)then go about your business, masked. Test on day 5 or when you get back home.

Were  there other Covid + cruise passengers and their traveling partners with you from Vancouver to Seattle?

Hope your symptoms are  mild and go away quick and your plane ride home a good one.

We are going home on day 6 from the test.

There were at least 200 to 300 covid cases disembarked. Local Canadians were just sent on their way. US citizens loaded on buses for Seattle area.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, broberts said:

We were on a supposedly secure bus, when we left the "cage" at the cruise terminal we were supposed to go directly to the border and US customs/Immigration. But guess what the driver decided to make a stop at the airport (at the request of a passenger) , the doors were opened , people off and on - TOTAL VIOLATION of all protocols.

It was typical of the entire fiasco.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

There were at least 200 to 300 covid cases disembarked.

Ho-lee smokes. And these people must have self-reported.  Can you imagine how many more people had it and said nothing?

Oh yes, this is going swimmingly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, broberts said:

It's not illegal. The only limitation is that you can't fly back into the USA if you are positive. It is still allowable to drive back into the country. They were being transferred to a hotel in Seattle arranged by Princess to quarantine. No different then being transferred to a hotel in Vancouver - just a little further away.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Ho-lee smokes. And these people must have self-reported.  Can you imagine how many more people had it and said nothing?

We were one of the first ones off the ship and we were shocked as they just kept coming behind us. Yes, these were all self-reported cases, I can imagine the actual number was at least double that,

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, broberts said:

Overly dramatic, but typical coming from Canada.  Still see people wearing masks around here OUTDOORS on a nice day.  Allowed to drive into USA.  Perhaps better if each drove themselves, but a private coach with everyone in same boat seems much the same as driving them around to how many ever Vancouver hotels.  

US quarantine is shorter.  Who says our Feds are correct?  They may just be behind the times and overly cautious.  We are still the most anti-travel country among western nations AFAIK.

5 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

It's not illegal. The only limitation is that you can't fly back into the USA if you are positive. It is still allowable to drive back into the country. They were being transferred to a hotel in Seattle arranged by Princess to quarantine. No different then being transferred to a hotel in Vancouver - just a little further away.

I think he may have been referring to Canadian law.

19 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

We were on a supposedly secure bus, when we left the "cage" at the cruise terminal we were supposed to go directly to the border and US customs/Immigration. But guess what the driver decided to make a stop at the airport (at the request of a passenger) , the doors were opened , people off and on - TOTAL VIOLATION of all protocols.

It was typical of the entire fiasco.

I understand the part if someone was getting OFF at the airport, but how would the driver be picking anyone else up there when you were a private group (supposedly) with destination Seattle for one or more hotels?

I wonder if the passenger decided to stay at a BC hotel, but seems an odd way to do it.  IDK how they would be able to fly (assuming they test positive or would not be on the bus).

30 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

We are going home on day 6 from the test.

There were at least 200 to 300 covid cases disembarked. Local Canadians were just sent on their way. US citizens loaded on buses for Seattle area.

Wow, that's a lot of people. We were on the May 2 cruise and didn't test positive until we got home, but we know that quite a few people tested positive at the ship offered testing the last day. And one of our roll call who tested positive during the cruise reported being on one of the buses with about 50 people when they were transferred off the ship. Most of us on our roll call tested positive once we got home.

How is the hotel where Princess has placed you? Is it nice and are the staff there being helpful? I'm curious if all of you who were transferred to Seattle were all taken to the same hotel?

I hope you get better and get home soon!!!

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

I think he may have been referring to Canadian law.

What Canadian law?  We no longer (thankfully) have forced quarantines into government sponsored hotels (sometimes more like hovels).  If you arrive positive, you can drive home with a quarantine plan in place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

How is the hotel where Princess has placed you? Is it nice and are the staff there being helpful? I'm curious if all of you who were transferred to Seattle were all taken to the same hotel?

I am curious about food also. Are there restaurants close that will deliver, are you in a good location?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Plus how many tested positive within days of disembarkation…I think the number of cases transmitted during cruises is much higher than is being reported. I want the truth but don’t think we’ll ever learn the true number of cases.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

If/when I ask, it's because I want to know if there's anything else I could have done to mitigate getting in.  I'm going on Ruby 6/19...

I tested positive the day after I returned home from our cruise. I wore masks at all times unless I was outside or dining.  Maybe it would be better to dine outside or in your cabin but I’m not sure if that would help or not.  I do know this is making me rethink my cruise plans and probably will only leave from ports that I can drive to.  

I hope that anyone reading this that is Covid positive gets well soon.  

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Plus how many tested positive within days of disembarkation…I think the number of cases transmitted during cruises is much higher than is being reported. I want the truth but don’t think we’ll ever learn the true number of cases.

We have no way of knowing and those of us that tested positive right after we returned home were not counted and reported to the CDC. I wish I knew how many people had tested positive on or after our Discovery inaugural B2B.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

I don’t know if this will help you or anyone else but on the CDC website is quarantine guidance.  I hope you’re feeling OK.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I understand the part if someone was getting OFF at the airport, but how would the driver be picking anyone else up there when you were a private group (supposedly) with destination Seattle for one or more hotels?

I wonder if the passenger decided to stay at a BC hotel, but seems an odd way to do it.  IDK how they would be able to fly (assuming they test positive or would not be on the bus).

I think they wanted to drop something off or pick something up from someone at the airport. I don't think anyone got off or on. Either way it was a violation  and extremely rude of the passenger to ask and even worse for the driver to go along with it..

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I am curious about food also. Are there restaurants close that will deliver, are you in a good location?

We have a 1 bedroom suite, breakfast included and delivered to the room each morning. There is a restaurant with room service. The food is OK and no more expensive than any place else plus no delivery fee. They have been pretty good, he said "tell us what you want, we'll leave at your door, knock and run like hell".

It could be worse, like that dirty quarantine room on the ship.

• Like 2