Live from quarantine on Royal

Colorado Coasty

20 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Well over here in isolation on Enchanted Princess we have had nothing like your letter and one of our complaints is that it would be useful to have had something similar. I am quite alarmed by your laundry instructions.

I sent a mixed bag 2 days ago and didn't know I had to separate them and check if they would stand a high temperature wash. Just something else to worry about.

We had a call from the Dr about getting home. She told us that we couldn't get a taxi. We know that this is rubbish because P&O and Cunard send covid positive passengers home by taxi. Fortunately we have a family member who lives close to Southampton who can take us and fortunately we also live near the Port. The Dr also told us we had to isolate for a few days when we got back. This is also rubbish as there is no requirement to self isolate in England.

Then we had another call from someone else yesterday who gave us different information and said we'd get a letter today telling us what will happen when we disembark on Friday. You'd think they would have all this sorted by now.

Btw we had no instructions about red bags and clear bags. We don't have a laundry bag so I used the clear one for laundry and also for dirty towels. 

Sorry to hear you're in isolation. Hope Princess are treating you reasonably well and your symptoms are not too bad. Out of interest, would you be kind enough to state which part of the ship is being used for isolation while it sails from Southampton. Take care

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phyllis13 said:

Sorry to hear you're in isolation. Hope Princess are treating you reasonably well and your symptoms are not too bad. Out of interest, would you be kind enough to state which part of the ship is being used for isolation while it sails from Southampton. Take care

Hi

thank you. Our symptoms are quite mild and we are being looked after. We are on Deck 9 and I think most of the deck is closed for isolation. As far as I can tell there are 4 cabins in use currently on the starboard side. 

I hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, paulandjoyce said:

KN94 is the south korean version and just as effective.

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

KN94s are 1% (verses 95%) less effective.  I use the KN94s for comfort.  They also make smaller masks for children.  I have remained "safe" for 2 years with these masks and recommend them to others.  I have a ton of N95s and they are sitting on my shelf.  What good are they if I don't find them comfortable for long periods of time?  I do break down and use a N95 when on a plane.  

Sorry to be pedantic, but they're properly referred to as KF94s.  I use them myself.  Unlike N95s and (to a lesser extent) KN95s, they're manufactured and designed to be used by ordinary, non-medical personnel.  I've gotten used them, though I certainly don't use them when I don't think I have to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Hi

thank you. Our symptoms are quite mild and we are being looked after. We are on Deck 9 and I think most of the deck is closed for isolation. As far as I can tell there are 4 cabins in use currently on the starboard side. 

I hope that helps.

Sorry you are in quarantine but glad to hear your symptoms are mild 👍. I thought port side was the isolation deck, midship. Has this now changed? Sorry to ask, but which range of cabin numbers are the 4 cabins in on the starboard side?

We have no requirements to self-isolate here when you leave the ship, so it seems strange for them to tell you that you need to 🤷‍♀️. We purposely booked a sailing from Southampton so that we wouldn’t have all the issues when returning to our homeport should we contract covid - can totally understand your confusion. Hope it’s smooth sailing home when you disembark on Fri.

Cathygh-sorry to hear of your isolation. Too bad Princess can’t be consistent in giving everyone paperwork of what to do or not  in their isolation cabin and after if they need to go to a hotel. Seems like some people get a letter and some are just left on their own. Hope your isolation cabin is short for you and you get home soon .  Assuming there are two of you in your original cabin and you both moved to the isolation cabin or just 1 of you?

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Sorry you are in quarantine but glad to hear your symptoms are mild 👍. I thought port side was the isolation deck, midship. Has this now changed? Sorry to ask, but which range of cabin numbers are the 4 cabins in on the starboard side?

We have no requirements to self-isolate here when you leave the ship, so it seems strange for them to tell you that you need to 🤷‍♀️. We purposely booked a sailing from Southampton so that we wouldn’t have all the issues when returning to our homeport should we contract covid - can totally understand your confusion. Hope it’s smooth sailing home when you disembark on Fri.

Hi. 

I am not sure of the exact numbers of the other cabins but I think d401-7 are in use. 

No letter has arrived today and we have now been told it could be tonight or tomorrow. 🙄Fortunately my stepdaughter is taking us home and it's not too far to travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arizonaperson said:

Cathygh-sorry to hear of your isolation. Too bad Princess can’t be consistent in giving everyone paperwork of what to do or not  in their isolation cabin and after if they need to go to a hotel. Seems like some people get a letter and some are just left on their own. Hope your isolation cabin is short for you and you get home soon .  Assuming there are two of you in your original cabin and you both moved to the isolation cabin or just 1 of you?

Yes we both moved..My husband tested positive on Saturday and I didn't want to leave him.on his own so I joined him in quarantine . I tested positive on Monday. We get back to Southampton on Friday so not long to now

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Here in the US we don't have any requirements to self-isolate either.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but they're properly referred to as KF94s.  I use them myself.  Unlike N95s and (to a lesser extent) KN95s, they're manufactured and designed to be used by ordinary, non-medical personnel.

I think the biggest difference is that only true N95 masks have NIOSH approval.

I thought the below artical was interesting.

A quote:

"Certain KN95s and KF94s are approved by the FDA, but a good way to know if you are getting legitimate KF94s is by checking that they are indeed made in South Korea. For KN95s, it can be a little more difficult since “there is no regulatory agency that actually ensures that a manufacturer actually meets the KN95 standard,” 

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/whats-the-difference-between-kn95-and-kf94-masks.html

Your mileage may vary, objects in mirror are closer than they appear, etc.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 5:47 AM, antsp said:

If I self tested and tested positive, I would no tell Princess, especially if it was towards the end of the cruise. 

That is a scary thought and a primary reason COVID is continuing to spread!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but they're properly referred to as KF94s.  I use them myself.  Unlike N95s and (to a lesser extent) KN95s, they're manufactured and designed to be used by ordinary, non-medical personnel.  I've gotten used them, though I certainly don't use them when I don't think I have to.

You are absolutely correct.   And I should have been more attentive.  Yes, KF94s are produced for the Korean market and are very effective.  It has become such a way of life with me....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Hi

I hope that helps.

Thanks for replying. I'm glad to hear your symptoms are mild & you're being looked after, albeit not what you were hoping for on a cruise. Have a safe journey home & fingers crossed for a swift recovery.

12 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Well over here in isolation on Enchanted Princess we have had nothing like your letter and one of our complaints is that it would be useful to have had something similar. I am quite alarmed by your laundry instructions.

I sent a mixed bag 2 days ago and didn't know I had to separate them and check if they would stand a high temperature wash. Just something else to worry about.

We had a call from the Dr about getting home. She told us that we couldn't get a taxi. We know that this is rubbish because P&O and Cunard send covid positive passengers home by taxi. Fortunately we have a family member who lives close to Southampton who can take us and fortunately we also live near the Port. The Dr also told us we had to isolate for a few days when we got back. This is also rubbish as there is no requirement to self isolate in England.

Then we had another call from someone else yesterday who gave us different information and said we'd get a letter today telling us what will happen when we disembark on Friday. You'd think they would have all this sorted by now.

Btw we had no instructions about red bags and clear bags. We don't have a laundry bag so I used the clear one for laundry and also for dirty towels. 

I am glad you have family close. We are all definitely on our own to figure this out. Thankfully I am feeling much better. Especially since no one has called me in the last 36 hours. I am grateful for the ability to order frozen drinks nearly every hour I am awake since those help my throat. (Room service has been responsive and timely.). My laundry came back today, all clean and orderly. Make sure you request your full medical record before leaving the ship. There is a ‘nominal fee’. 

When I put my tray in the hall this morning, I noticed another 12 or so cabins have the quarantine table in front of their doors. Wondering how many total on the Royal are quarantined. 

On 5/29/2022 at 4:17 AM, Munsterguy said:

Currently on Royal, departed Vancouver last night May 28th, disappointing to see so many people not  wearing masks indoors, was in an elevator tonight heading for dinner , this man got in without a mask , started to speak rather loud ( for my benefit)  , “ nobody is going to tell me to wear a mask “  It’s clearly marked at every elevator that masks MUST be worn . We will continue to wear our masks as much as possible , hopefully we will avoid getting this disease, I just wish fellow passengers think of others with their selfish actions.  . On a positive note , really enjoying the cruise so far , crew excellent , lovely dinner last night , hearing weather will be kind to us as head north . 

We were on the Royal Princess on it's first trip, a 12 day one from Vancouver and back.  After we got off we felt like we had colds but it wasn't quite like a cold, after 3 days of testings we tested positive.  Yes, i saw on line here that there were 50 people sent to quantineen at the Bayshore Inn in Vancouver. after that first cruise. We were all double vaxed and had negative tests to get on the ship.  Signs all around asking us to wear masks which we personally did.  The problem however, in my opinion, is that Covid is brought onto the ship after people explore ports.  Alaska is only 62% vaccinated!!!  That is NOT HIGH.  When we stopped in Skagway, people who were booked to take the ferry to Haines were told that their tour was cancelled as the entire crew of the ferry was off sick with Covid.  That gives you an idea that perhaps Alaska isn't a place you want to wander through and when a ship arrives, with possibly other ships in port too, those little towns are crowded and filled with people trying to make a buck off the tourists and they were be there for the most part, even if they feel like they have a 'cold' which is probably covid.  But again, it's the several days before you feel sick that covid gets spread.  Take your chances on the ports where ever you go and hope not too many others bring it on board.

just my thoughts,

Dale

• Like 4

On 5/29/2022 at 6:43 AM, kabmab said:

Wow, 60-70%?!  On Caribbean Princess last week not more than 1-2%.  DH positive when we got home yesterday (drove home from port).  I'm neg so far.  I masked, he didn't.  Cruising is def risky for Covid.

My husband tested positive on Friday on the Caribbean. Where did you get the 1-2% figure?

39 minutes ago, plaidsmom said:

My husband tested positive on Friday on the Caribbean. Where did you get the 1-2% figure?

That's my very rough guesstimate of masking 5/21-5/28 on CB by my observation.  I was masking almost all the time, including outdoors.  I saw very, very little masking on a full ship. DH was positive on 28th (so likely caught on ship) with little masking, I am still negative.

I think people need to remember that not all people drive to a port to cruise to Alaska.   Almost all of them fly.   There are no rules requiring passengers on airplanes to be vaccinated or wear masks.....so, it's not rocket science, many cruise passengers are picking it up on the plane.   

When a cruise passenger says "but I tested for covid 3 days before I boarded and I'm vaccinated and double boosted" it doesn't mean a dang thing.     So, for 1-3 days before you even have symptoms, you are a carrier/spreader without even knowing it.   You've now gone on excursions, rode on a bus, eaten in the dining room, drank in the bar....  get the idea?      No one is to blame anymore, it's passed that.   When it's our time to get it, we get it.   Hopefully, you are vaccinated and will be asymptomatic or your symptoms will be mild   That's about all we can hope for.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, P23r23s23 said:

I am glad you have family close. We are all definitely on our own to figure this out. Thankfully I am feeling much better. Especially since no one has called me in the last 36 hours. I am grateful for the ability to order frozen drinks nearly every hour I am awake since those help my throat. (Room service has been responsive and timely.). My laundry came back today, all clean and orderly. Make sure you request your full medical record before leaving the ship. There is a ‘nominal fee’. 

When I put my tray in the hall this morning, I noticed another 12 or so cabins have the quarantine table in front of their doors. Wondering how many total on the Royal are quarantined. 

Good advice on requesting your full medical record...there shouldn't be a fee for that in my opinion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Good advice on requesting your full medical record...there shouldn't be a fee for that in my opinion.

But there will be. The medical services are contracted, and they charge for service.

You’ll need those records for the insurance claim or possibly for getting a certificate of recovery. Add the cost of getting them to the claim.

We were feeling a little more confident after getting on and off the May 2-14 Royal Princess cruise unscathed. We have wanted to do the “once a year” Eastern Canada and Greenland cruise round trip from New York on Caribbean Princess on August 15. But that means two flights, possibly with connecting flights and being in USA needing to return to Canada possibly with Covid. Just seems too risky after we  were extremely careful for over two full years and avoided Covid.

I know it is only one of many small things to help avoid Covid but we are disappointed that Princess doesn’t see that they need to make masks mandatory far more onboard. Yes they would lose some bookings but fewer Covid cases onboard will build more confidence in people to get back to cruising soon. And the cost to Princess of quarantining in hotels after disembarkation has to be astronomical. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Babr said:

But there will be. The medical services are contracted, and they charge for service.

You’ll need those records for the insurance claim or possibly for getting a certificate of recovery. Add the cost of getting them to the claim.

Princess says there is no medical charge for Covid testing and treatment if you are ill. A record of this should also be at no cost.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BC-er said:

Take your chances on the ports where ever you go and hope not too many others bring it on board.

"Hope" seems to be the method of preventing Covid these days.

People are so tired of taking the necessary precautions to avoid catching the virus that they do not follow best practices and "hope" they will escape the disease.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, caribill said:

"Hope" seems to be the method of preventing Covid these days.

People are so tired of taking the necessary precautions to avoid catching the virus that they do not follow best practices and "hope" they will escape the disease.

The last time I checked Dr. Google, I did not see "Hope" as a proven prophylactic medical procedure.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2