On Celebrity Equinox quarantined in my cabin with Covid

Flyonby

Title pretty much says it all. Sitting on the balcony looking out at beautiful St Thomas not on my excursion.  

Tested neg on a PCR 2 days before cruise. Got on ship in Fort Lauderdale feeling fine on Sat. By Sat night felt a bit off, but attributed it to the moldy hotel the night before. Next day mild cold like symptoms for my husband and I. Tested with a home test before dinner that night just to be sure, and blam double line.

Called the medical office to self report. They sent up a nurse to administer a PCR test for both of us and my daughter and mother. All 4 positive. 

We are confined to our own cabins, they didn't move us to a isolation ward or anything. They send up room service when we call, so we are fed. The medical office has offered us medicine if needed, but we brought our own just in case. They said they would run another PCR on day 5 and 6 of quarantine. If that is still positive, then we are stuck. 

We will be allowed to disembark in Fort Lauderdale and continue on our own. We are US based and are not going international.  

We have escaped covid for 2 1/2 yrs. All double vaccinated and all but my daughter boosted. We all wear masks indoors always.  Best guess is that we picked it up on the drive down since we all came down with it at the same time. 

We all wore masks the entire time we were out on the ship, so hopefully we didn't infect anyone else. I'd guess that 99.5% of the guests we encountered were not masked. 

No really specific question I guess. Just wondering if anyone has advice 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 12

I'm so sorry to hear, I just came off the Equinox (5/29 sailing) and my husband and I both tested positive once we got home. They claimed on the last cruise that only 5 tested positive, but I'm not sure, everyone was coughing everywhere - including those around my stateroom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for doing the right thing and self reporting.  
Glad to hear you are staying in your cabin and not being moved.  I’m sure some are not self reporting or quarantining due to concerns of being moved to a Oceanview cabin.

• Like 6

Only advice is to ask questions and try to be flexible.  Impossible to know where one contracts Covid today.  Number of cases is skyrocketing.   The true number undercounts because people that test positive at home in general do not report their test results to health authorities. 

British Columbia suggested only about 10% of those who tested positive at home reported those results.

Glad you reported.  

Have not heard of anyone quarantined in OV.  Only in verandas recently.  Any updates?

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 2

So sorry your cruise is ruined by Covid.  DH and I tested positive 2 days after returning from a May cruise on Equinox.  We to were vaxed & boosted and had avoided Covid for 2 + years.  We had bad cold/mild flu symptoms for 3 days.  Fever 100.5 max. Started feeling better on day 4.  I hope your symptoms are mild and don't last very long.  Glad you self reported.  Unfortunately many people don't.

Be sure you get a FCC for the days you are quarantined.

31 minutes ago, Flyonby said:

Title pretty much says it all. Sitting on the balcony looking out at beautiful St Thomas not on my excursion.  

Tested neg on a PCR 2 days before cruise. Got on ship in Fort Lauderdale feeling fine on Sat. By Sat night felt a bit off, but attributed it to the moldy hotel the night before. Next day mild cold like symptoms for my husband and I. Tested with a home test before dinner that night just to be sure, and blam double line.

Called the medical office to self report. They sent up a nurse to administer a PCR test for both of us and my daughter and mother. All 4 positive. 

We are confined to our own cabins, they didn't move us to a isolation ward or anything. They send up room service when we call, so we are fed. The medical office has offered us medicine if needed, but we brought our own just in case. They said they would run another PCR on day 5 and 6 of quarantine. If that is still positive, then we are stuck. 

We will be allowed to disembark in Fort Lauderdale and continue on our own. We are US based and are not going international.  

We have escaped covid for 2 1/2 yrs. All double vaccinated and all but my daughter boosted. We all wear masks indoors always.  Best guess is that we picked it up on the drive down since we all came down with it at the same time. 

We all wore masks the entire time we were out on the ship, so hopefully we didn't infect anyone else. I'd guess that 99.5% of the guests we encountered were not masked. 

No really specific question I guess. Just wondering if anyone has advice 

Best of luck!  Hope you feel better.

I am positive we didn't get it on the ship! But I am sure there are others running around with it. I am very thankful that none of us are feeling any worse than mild cold. 

We have a contact, Salvatore, who has been very helpful with food so far. We are able to get food not just from room service, but also from the main dining room and the buffet. Trying the buffet option for lunch today

• Like 7

So 2 days into quarantine we have received a letter officially explaining their policies. I included a copy of the letter, but have highlights below

Tldr stay in room, eat in room, free movies, wifi and phonecalls. They will prorate a refund for quarantine days

The nurse came by again today for temp and O2 sat rates. She says if we test negative on days 5 and 6 then we go into soft quarantine which means we could leave cabin masked. 

Seeing as day 5 and 6 of quarantine are the 10th and 11th and we dock on the 12th, this basically says we can home without being encased in a plastic bag I'm guessing. 

On the bright side we all still feel good. My 5 yo is bouncing off the walls, but she is healthy 

PXL_20220607_165929195.jpg

PXL_20220607_165914044.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Flyonby:  Ah COVID-19.  The gift that keeps on giving. 😷  I'm sorry that this had to happen to you.  It sounds like they're treating you well, looking after you, providing a playbook and information, and generally giving you what you need. Don't take this for granted; some people I've heard about didn't get any of this.  Anyway, keep us posted if you can and you feel like it, and get well soon. 🙏

• Like 2

The cruisers before you tested the waters; however, it seems that Celebrity has made positive changes.  Hope you all continue to do better, so that days 5 and 6 will see good results.  Thanks so much for sharing!

I cannot understand why so many report all the coughing onboard; what is wrong with these people and why are they not, at the very least, wearing a mask...ugg! 

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

The cruisers before you tested the waters; however, it seems that Celebrity has made positive changes.  Hope you all continue to do better, so that days 5 and 6 will see good results.  Thanks so much for sharing!

I cannot understand why so many report all the coughing onboard; what is wrong with these people and why are they not, at the very least, wearing a mask...ugg! 

First, to the OP, hope your entire party continues to feel well- can’t imagine being quarantined in a stateroom with a 5 year old!

And with all due respect to the original poster, the reason why people are coughing and not wearing a mask is that many, if not most assume it is something else, just as she did originally. I remember reading somewhere that normal not sick people cough and sneeze 10-20 times a day, just from dust or dry throat, or even for some of us, bright sunlight. No one thinks Covid first, although maybe they should, especially if they are in the vaxxed and boosted group that has gone this entire time without catching the virus. 

• Like 7

I am so sorry to hear your cruise has been disrupted by Covid. I avoided it for two years and then got it in March-even vaxxed and boosted was no match for Omicron at a dinner party where I totally let my guard down and attended without masking at all. I hope your symptoms are mild, and you feel better quickly.

It's making me rethink the cruise we have booked on the Equinox for July 2. If Covid seems to be spreading rapidly on board, and people aren't masking but coughing all over, not sure I want to risk getting it again, or for my husband to get it for the first time. I know since we're vaxxed and boosted we aren't likely to die from it, but I'm still suffering through a few (minor) long covid symptoms like extreme fatigue, and would really like to avoid getting it again. 

• Like 2

During our nurse check today we asked how many people had covid onboard. She said we were not the only ones, but that there were not as many this time. So doesn't sound like it is a widespread epidemic onboard. 

28 minutes ago, Citymom92 said:

I am so sorry to hear your cruise has been disrupted by Covid. I avoided it for two years and then got it in March-even vaxxed and boosted was no match for Omicron at a dinner party where I totally let my guard down and attended without masking at all. I hope your symptoms are mild, and you feel better quickly.

It's making me rethink the cruise we have booked on the Equinox for July 2. If Covid seems to be spreading rapidly on board, and people aren't masking but coughing all over, not sure I want to risk getting it again, or for my husband to get it for the first time. I know since we're vaxxed and boosted we aren't likely to die from it, but I'm still suffering through a few (minor) long covid symptoms like extreme fatigue, and would really like to avoid getting it again. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Flyonby said:

Salvatore called to see if we liked cocktails. The answer yes please!

PXL_20220607_190825954.jpg

Keep ‘em coming Salvatore! I’m glad they’re getting some treats to you. Can they live stream the entertainment shows maybe? Just to have another diversion. Heck I’d watch a live stream of the lobby just to have something different to look at. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

First, to the OP, hope your entire party continues to feel well- can’t imagine being quarantined in a stateroom with a 5 year old!

And with all due respect to the original poster, the reason why people are coughing and not wearing a mask is that many, if not most assume it is something else, just as she did originally. I remember reading somewhere that normal not sick people cough and sneeze 10-20 times a day, just from dust or dry throat, or even for some of us, bright sunlight. No one thinks Covid first, although maybe they should, especially if they are in the vaxxed and boosted group that has gone this entire time without catching the virus. 

Exactly...yes, I understand "normal," but this is normal+Covid factor!  Just because you cannot see it, doesn't mean a darn thing.  Of course, many do not see it that way at all and there is nothing anyone can do about it.  If someone coughs in my direction, I just flat out sprint, trying to outrun those infamous droplets, as much as possible; however, most are much fater than me.  When I was teaching, I still got close to the kids, but never stayed for more than 30-45 seconds. I do not want anyone ruining my cruises, but still realize that a large part of that is based on me and my actions.  Most likely, I will end up being a prude onboard!  Several excursions are just the two of us; one is with two other people, with the rest getting off at the ports and doing our own thing.  I won't know how well it works until I cruise.😜

Edited by Lastdance
Faster than me; not fatter! HAHAHA!
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Flyonby said:

Sorry about testing positive and being quarantined but am SO happy to read this. I am hoping this is a new policy they will follow for positive cases after reading many awful reviews of the "isolation deck" in outside rooms. Very nice touch sending cocktails to the room. Seems like they are improving the quarantine experience. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Be careful before you judge everyone coughing.  My DH has sinus issues and has coughing fits several times a day because of it. If he were to have unusual symptoms of course he would test. But in the meantime he is careful to cover his coughs and does not need to wear a mask constantly. There are also many retirees on Celebrity ships and COPD is not uncommon in that age, or coughing due to many other noncontagious reasons.  Unusual symptoms? Test of course . 100% agree. Practice care and good sanitary practices when coughing?  Definitely.  But shaming everyone you hear coughing because they don't wear a mask? Not cool.

• Like 15