$1 Deposits are Coming!

ceilidh1

I've been considering booking some Australia/NZ/Asia cruises for 2024.  For a deposit of couple of bucks, I might just do it...

Wall Street analysts like to see future bookings when they review the financials, right?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dog said:

Thanks for posting. Can it be booked now?

June 30 to July 5, according to the article.  I just looked and fares remain the same, so I guess we need to wait.  I just might have to book another cruise!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

June 30 to July 5, according to the article.  I just looked and fares remain the same, so I guess we need to wait.  I just might have to book another cruise!

Might put $1 deposit on 🤴

• Like 1

If I booked the cruise at $1 deposit,  then the cruise price is dropping (prior to final payment date), could I reprice to the cheaper cruise without paying higher deposit?

Thanks!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Ha!  Soon, you’ll be able to buy that ship for $1.00 lol

Or get a $100.00 FCC for my $1.00 deposit like I did last year when they had to cancel my Caribbean winter cruise.  They must realize they can’t keep this up- with the Crown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dog said:

Or get a $100.00 FCC for my $1.00 deposit like I did last year when they had to cancel my Caribbean winter cruise.  They must realize they can’t keep this up- with the Crown.

They won’t be doing that anymore. I read the cancellations from this last set… very different from prior letters. No more offering of just switching at the same price, either. 

Is this really that great an incentive? If prospective passengers don't have the modest normal $200 deposit to book a cruise, how are they going to pay for the rest of the cruise? I'm sure it will result in extra bookings, but I expect far fewer of those bookings will end up making their final payment than is normally the case.

DCThunder may be exactly right on the intent of this promotion: Get some extra bookings so things look better for Wall Street, even if many of those bookings don't end up being completed as cruises taken.

16 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Is this really that great an incentive? If prospective passengers don't have the modest normal $200 deposit to book a cruise, how are they going to pay for the rest of the cruise? I'm sure it will result in extra bookings, but I expect far fewer of those bookings will end up making their final payment than is normally the case.

DCThunder may be exactly right on the intent of this promotion: Get some extra bookings so things look better for Wall Street, even if many of those bookings don't end up being completed as cruises taken.

I don't think it's a question of if they have the funds for the normal deposit rather it's an incentive to book a bunch of cruises/cabins for minimal financial loss if they just decide to let them cancel with only a $1 loss each.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

They won’t be doing that anymore. I read the cancellations from this last set… very different from prior letters. No more offering of just switching at the same price, either. 

You sound sure about this. Do you know or just speculating?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HSBC said:

If I booked the cruise at $1 deposit,  then the cruise price is dropping (prior to final payment date), could I reprice to the cheaper cruise without paying higher deposit?

Thanks!

Maybe.  If the new fare can be a simple re-fare.  Some new offers require a cancel-re-book and then you have to go with whatever the new deposit requirement is, or use a FCD if you have one on account.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Is this posted on the website because to don’t see the $1 deposit. 

It's not time for the promo yet.  Doesn't start until June 30, so they won't have posted it yet.  We are seeing a TA's advance notice preview.  The OP often posts early announcements of PCL sales and new seasonal booking releases.

55 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I've heard somewhere that the average cabin is booked four times before sailing date. Seems like this promotion is trying to make it five.

I have read this as well.  I wonder if those stats include folks who cancel and re-book the same cabin to get a new promotion fare and save money (situation where a simple re-fare was not possible or allowed). 

8 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Great, have a big promotion over a six day period which includes three days (the holiday weekend) that most TAs will be closed and two days that Princess will be closed.

Way to go marketing department!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

1 hour ago, dog said:

You sound sure about this. Do you know or just speculating?

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/cancelled-japan-cruises-diamond-through-june-9-2022.pdf L

This is one of the older letters. 

Here’s a new letter. 10% off another cruise details. 

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/cancelled-cruises-royal-sept-through-oct-2023.pdf

Edited by Happiest when cruising