If you could cruise on Summit or Equinox, which would you choose?

Stockjock

We did a NYE cruise on Summit and really enjoyed ourselves.  We thought they did a great job revolutionizing the rooms and public space.

I saw a similar sailing on Equinox and it's my understanding that it too was revolutionized.  Based on the little bit I've seen, the rooms didn't seem as nice to me as the rooms on Summit.

But all of that aside, if you had to sail on one or the other, which would you choose and why?  We're looking at 2 similarly priced cruises, one on Summit and the other is on Equinox.  Thank you in advance!

Equinox was partially "revolutionized" as they ran out of time due to having to move her to Spain for her updo about a year before covid shut everything down. The Passport bar area was redone and looks great. I think some of the cabins were refreshed, but not all of them. The Retreat Sun Deck has little shade, no bar and no water feature. The servers go to another bar area to get drinks. 

I would choose Equinox. If you like specialty dining there are more choices. Also, more bar choices. I love the World Class Bar and I miss it when sailing on M class ships. I also like the pool area better and love the cabins on the slant of the hump with the bigger balconies 

33 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

I would choose Equinox. If you like specialty dining there are more choices. Also, more bar choices. I love the World Class Bar and I miss it when sailing on M class ships. I also like the pool area better and love the cabins on the slant of the hump with the bigger balconies 

We don't care too much about the specialty restaurants as the MDR food seems quite good.  We just got off of a short RCCL cruise and their food was vastly inferior.  Maybe every now and then we'll do a specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

Hard question.  Two of my favorite ships.  I love the Summit mostly because of its size and its fabulous crew.  Not a fan of the Hoppenized cabins.  But if you're sailing in the penthouse, there probably is no better cabin at sea.  The dearth of specialty restaurants is somewhat of an issue.

I love the Equinox because it hasn't been Hoppenized!  Last time I sailed her my cabin was wonderful and so was the crew.

Good luck with your decision!

My two favorite ships!  Summit gets a little edge from me because it feels like coming home - wonderful staff!  Also appreciate the sailings out of NJ because it’s an easy drive for me.  I love Equinox and the plus there is Murano.  Will be on Summit in less than two weeks and looking forward to it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

We don't care too much about the specialty restaurants as the MDR food seems quite good.  We just got off of a short RCCL cruise and their food was vastly inferior.  Maybe every now and then we'll do a specialty restaurant.

We don’t either, but wasn’t sure if it was something you like.

• Like 1

Summit if in a suite. I like that most suites being in the same area on deck 6. Luminae just down the stairs deck 4. Equinox deck 12 concierge 2107 cabin with large deck. Right out to the pool, 1 deck up to the Oceanview Café. I also like doing the glassblowing on Equinox.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stockjock said:

We did a NYE cruise on Summit and really enjoyed ourselves.  We thought they did a great job revolutionizing the rooms and public space.

I saw a similar sailing on Equinox and it's my understanding that it too was revolutionized.  Based on the little bit I've seen, the rooms didn't seem as nice to me as the rooms on Summit.

But all of that aside, if you had to sail on one or the other, which would you choose and why?  We're looking at 2 similarly priced cruises, one on Summit and the other is on Equinox.  Thank you in advance!

We've sailed on both and would choose any S-class ship over any M-class ship simply because the S-class ships have Murano. We also prefer the layout of the OVC, the better shopping area and the shady areas around the pool deck as well as the grassy areas on the top deck that the S-class offer. We used to love M-class and their smaller size until they removed the "Murano-type" restaurants (like the SS United States) from all of those ships. Since we don't care for Tuscan or Le Petite Chef there are no specialty dining options for us any more  on those ships. Also, the regular veranda cabins on the S-class are larger than similar cabins on M-class.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We love the Summit and will be sailing on her for the 3rd time in September, but the Solstice-Class ships are our favorites. We just love the design, layout and all the features - many mentioned already by others. The Silhouette and Reflection are our favorites, but I wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Equinox. In fact, we had one booked on her, but it was cancelled due to Covid. I'd say if you've already been on the Summit, I would highly recommend trying an S-Class ship to see how it's different. I think you will enjoy it. Happy cruising whatever you choose.

• Like 1

I like both for different reasons.  I do like Murano, but I also like the intimacy of the Summit.  And the staff was amazing when I was on her.

We sail in Sky Suites usually, and the Retreat Sundeck is very nice on the Summit.  I've been on the Equinox, and it's not as nice, and the Eclipse, which will be my next S class, doesn't have it at all.

26 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

I like both for different reasons.  I do like Murano, but I also like the intimacy of the Summit.  And the staff was amazing when I was on her.

We sail in Sky Suites usually, and the Retreat Sundeck is very nice on the Summit.  I've been on the Equinox, and it's not as nice, and the Eclipse, which will be my next S class, doesn't have it at all.

The staff was really impressive on Summit.  Maybe the best service I've experienced on a cruise ship.

• Like 2

We love the Equinox and the Summit.
I know many do not like the "hoppenized"😁 rooms, but I actually like the newly designed rooms and bathrooms on the Summit.
We have been on the Equinox many times and love that ship for all the things other posters mentioned above.
So, I would pick one based on the itinerary and price.

8 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We love the Equinox and the Summit.
I know many do not like the "hoppenized"😁 rooms, but I actually like the newly designed rooms and bathrooms on the Summit.
We have been on the Equinox many times and love that ship for all the things other posters mentioned above.
So, I would pick one based on the itinerary and price.

What exactly does "hoppenized" mean?  We do like the design of the new Celebrity cabins, fwiw.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

What exactly does "hoppenized" mean?  We do like the design of the new Celebrity cabins, fwiw.

I do too. I prefer the new designs and like the more airy brighter look of the Summit cabins.

When I wrote "hoppenzed" I was quoting HappyCruiser6148, in post #8.

The new refurbished rooms were designed by Kelly Hoppen and I believe HappyCruiser was refering to that. Many cruisers do not like her interior designs for many reasons and feel that it has taken away from the original more functional interior.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I do too. I prefer the new designs and like the more airy brighter look of the Summit cabins.

When I wrote "hoppenzed" I was quoting HappyCruiser6148, in post #8.

The new refurbished rooms were designed by Kelly Hoppen and I believe HappyCruiser was refering to that. Many cruisers do not like her interior designs for many reasons and feel that it has taken away from the original more functional interior.

Not only was the interior on the Summit nice looking, but we thought it was quite functional too given the relatively small interior space.  But to each their own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Not only was the interior on the Summit nice looking, but we thought it was quite functional too given the relatively small interior space.  But to each their own.

I agree. I liked it a lot. We were in a deck 3 newer ocean view cabin with a huge window, it was round but almost as huge as the cabin wall. I would definitely book that one again if going on the Summit.

I like both and would probably choose based on itinerary. If itinerary and price were the same, I'd lean toward the Equinox. Comparing my fall cruise on the Equinox with my cruise on the Summit a couple of weeks ago, I thought the Equinox had a better buffet and better beverage service. I also like that there are more specialty restaurants on the Equinox, and I like the Passport Bar. It's a very slight edge, though.

• Like 1