The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 1st, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Amazon has been messing up big time.  They crossed my sister's account with her ex-DIL's account and were billing my sister for DIL's charges.  DS called Amazon, told them what they had done and that ex-DIL was not authorized to use the account or the credit card.   Amazon said that ex-DIL had to call and ask to be taken off the account.  My sister couldn't do it

I don't understand why your sister couldn't get exDIL off her account.  What a mess.  Are they on cordial terms so your DS could ask her to contact Amazon.  Hope it all works out.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet Report. HAPPY CANADA DAY! to our Canadian Dailyites.

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.

image.png.6976c0709661d6b34e9051aef69499f9.png

Zip codes are important. I like to visit zoos and photograph animals. Financial freedom would be nice.

Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal and drink, but take the wine.

I haven't been to Sarande. Thanks for the pictures @Quartzsite Cruiser @Vict0riann.

This morning I had an appointment for a blood test, since my kidney test was up a little, and possibly caused by the new BP med. Then went to the Wound Care Clinic; they re-wrapped my legs. I can take off the wraps on Sunday (and shower!) and resume using my regular compression stockings. The cellulitis has cleared up, thankfully. I'm hoping for rain later today - the grass is brown!

@rafinmd Your adventure has begun!

@StLouisCruisers Heathrow sounds awful! I hope your legs/knee is ok. Hopefully DD and her friend make it to FLL.

@aliaschief Fingers crossed that your flight tomorrow is a go.

@Heartgrove Prayers for your brother and DSIL. It sounds like it will be hard for him to be at home if he is a total assist, even with Home Care (who isn't there all the time).

@dfish Good luck with all the changes to your cruise. I saw chickpea pasta at Aldi today, but 1 cup had 51g of carbs with 11g fiber. Still too high for me at 40g net carbs.

@Rowsby LOL 🙂

@kazu I'm sure everyone enjoyed your treat of homemade jam. My mother used to make jam; I've never tried.

@lindaler Relocating was a lot of work. Now you can settle in and enjoy Mobile.

@ger_77 It sounds like a fun time at your house with the family. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Sorry you had to cancel the WCs, but your reasoning is sound.

@durangoscots Good to hear that Monty is healthy. 

@lazey1 Great news that all your health issues are improved or stable!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List (my dry June is over!).

Stay safe everyone.

That's good news about the cellulitis having cleared up.  Sunday is not that for off.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Surprise!  I didn't have to wait on hold too long with HAL and they said they would lift and apply the excursions we booked with them, so I don't need to do a thing.  Music to my ears.  One vender to go.

Glad the HAL excursions were taken care of and without a long wait on hold.  Fingers crossed🤞the last vendor is easy too.

54 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

All my pots have been moved into the courtyard, as DD has advised me she will only  be watering in there.    My bag is locked and out in the hall,  my carry-on is heavy, as I have some plates I am taking to DD in Gander, once they are gone the bag will be much lighter and I will be able to put in a few more "necessities" for the next flights.  Pat has been allowed to check in for both flights tomorrow, Air Canada has not advised us of any cancellations ... yet....

1730681865_IMG_00672.thumb.jpeg.08f71b40e2358747b270fc0e595948d3.jpeg

Ann, safe travels tomorrow with no flight snags.  Enjoy your visit with your DD.

Lends

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I was born in 54. Bushman died before I was born. Didn't he escape one day?

Somehow he did get out of his cage and wound up in his outdoor area never escaping from the Zoo.

BTW After he died, Taxidermists at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago preserved his body and he has been on display there for 70 years.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I had a dental exam today, and the hygienist said that my home dental care seemed to be exceptionally good. This is not something that I would ever have claimed. The office was cold even for my taste and it was a shock to exit into 94° weather.

Dinner tonight will be fish (not gravlax, alas), red-lentil pasta, and asparagus, unless I come up with a better idea within the next hour. A post on social media yesterday asked, "If you had to make dinner out of what you can find in your own yard, what would it be?" I would have had to answer rabbit or woodchuck, dandelion greens, and black currants.

• Like 11
  • Haha 11

Lenda and others ..... I have thought about taking Amtrak east to get to a cruise, but I don't really fancy a 2 day train trip for a short cruise, plus I would have drive over 3 passes to get to Grand Junction although I could hang south and catch a train at La Junta - still mountains though. At La Junta I could leave me car with a friend. The trip to get to New York or Boston might be longer than the cruise. Right now I am hanging tight in Durango and hoping the plane situation will settle a bit. Or I cruise from San Diego which is an easier drive for me. 

We are getting some light rain.... won't have to turn on sprinklers for another day or two. The lawn is much happier when Mother Nature waters it. I have to do something about a horrible "flower bed" which now is just dead weeds. I am trying to get someone to gravel it for me, but two lawn services have come out, looked at it, and disappeared never to be heard from again.  At least the shelter is progressing. Staff is slowly returning to work and the work on the kennel area starts on Tuesday. We are transferring some dogs to other shelters and relying heavily on fosters for the next 3 weeks and we have let the public know that we are going to limit owner surrenders. I foresee a couple more small dog fosters in my future but they will have to be very temporary and I have a hunch neither Monty nor Bandit will be thrilled. We are getting litters of puppies from the homeless camp across the river from us. We have offered them free spay/neuter but many of the owners keep saying no. A litter of 8 came in yesterday..... border collie/pit bull crosses. That camp is due to close the end of September.... and what happens then is anyone's guess. It is a fire and health hazard and could also easily flood if we have very heavy rains. Something more to worry about...both people and animals.

Susan

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I had a dental exam today, and the hygienist said that my home dental care seemed to be exceptionally good. This is not something that I would ever have claimed. The office was cold even for my taste and it was a shock to exit into 94° weather.

Dinner tonight will be fish (not gravlax, alas), red-lentil pasta, and asparagus, unless I come up with a better idea within the next hour. A post on social media yesterday asked, "If you had to make dinner out of what you can find in your own yard, what would it be?" I would have had to answer rabbit or woodchuck, dandelion greens, and black currants.

Glad your dental exam was good.... I am facing one in about 2 weeks. As to the dinner.... I guess venison and dandelion greens would be it. Or, since I am not really not up to dealing with a deer, chipmunk stew?

Susan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

@kochleffel What a great question, of what I could make from what is found in my yard.  Sort of a Brunswick stew, with possum, raccoon, squirrel and fox, flavored with oregano and rosemary.  Put a spring of lantana on it, and I'm set to go.   Like go eat elsewhere.  But I think that with the cost of food going up, we all may be eating on what grows in our yard.

@lindaler We like cruising out of Mobile, and there are some wonderful Gardens a little north west of you.  I keep trying to get DH to take an extra day when we are over there, but he hates to pay for another hotel night, so we have never been.  Maybe next year.  (of course right now only Carnival cruises out of Mobile)  but we like the smaller ships and were amazed when they said they were bringing the Spirit in in two years.  (yes we booked that one too)  Has the layout of the New Amsterdam.  Jut not as classy.

So welcome to your new home!

@Quartzsite Cruiser About 4 years ago, a little 7 year old boy was sitting in church for a midnight service on New Years Eve. A bullet came down through the roof and killed him.  New Years, and the fourth ? the day after- we are picking up bullets from our yard and drive way.  Its so sad that the world cant turn at the speed where it would come down on the person who made the shot.  That would eliminate a few problems in this neighborhood.  That or maybe a more seen police presence.  I digress, sorry.

• Like 22

Good afternoon!  Thank you for the Fleet Report Rich. Thank you everyone for sharing on the Daily. 

I have missed a few days, lots of appointments to catch up on after being away so long.  I wanted to say hi today and welcome to my second favorite month—July (my first being June).

3D98B8B9-79AD-43F5-BC41-4AC7AF43738F.thumb.jpeg.a6f577eb7927002b149e110dcd423a6d.jpeg

I have made today’s meal suggestion before and used Ina Garten’s recipe. It comes out really good but a little on the thicker side because I don’t have a special knife like you really need to get paper thin slices. I need to read the Daily to see what recipes Debbie posted. 

Well, the day has finally arrived, today is Craig’s first official day of retirement. It’ll be a huge adjustment for him. He’s going to miss teaching (things like Excel and PowerPoint).  It’s also his birth month so we have some celebrating to do. 

After DM’s appointment today we went to Texas Roadhouse for lunch and got my favorite BHB wine. Remember Joy?@Seasick Sailor.   DM loved it, said that she liked it more than Kim Crawford. 

CE1546DF-9C65-42DF-89D6-0AA13563F75A.thumb.jpeg.f09681714fd2c81efb4950afda29ab29.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 27

@Sharon in AZ  If your DH cant take the pressure of retirement, may I make a suggestion?   Have him contact your local senior center,  to teach "UOF's" some computer skills.  (Us Olds Farts).  I have no idea how to paste a photo I have taken, or copy and print a spread sheet, that doesn't look like a jigsaw puzzle.  We didn't grow up with computers, so who knew?  Our senior center, allows a person to present their idea for a class, they do the class, and if people attend, they then discuss paying the instructor. So that the next quarter, if he offers the class, he gets paid.  He wont get rich, but he will feel fulfilled.

• Like 26

I know it's late in the day, but I would like to post a question to my friends here.  What did you learn during Covid.  By friend, or TV. or a book, or by a change in your own habits?  

I learned how to place bird feeders so that birds felt safe from predators, (this was from watching Springwatch on Britbox) and I learned to drink my coffee black. (this is because cream would go bad before I could get to a store).

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Sharon in AZ  If your DH cant take the pressure of retirement, may I make a suggestion?   Have him contact your local senior center,  to teach "UOF's" some computer skills.  (Us Olds Farts).  I have no idea how to paste a photo I have taken, or copy and print a spread sheet, that doesn't look like a jigsaw puzzle.  We didn't grow up with computers, so who knew?  Our senior center, allows a person to present their idea for a class, they do the class, and if people attend, they then discuss paying the instructor. So that the next quarter, if he offers the class, he gets paid.  He wont get rich, but he will feel fulfilled.

What a great suggestion Annie!  I’m going to bring that up. I did suggest he offer his employer freelance services but I don’t think they will, they are too large an employer to do anything like that. 

BTW, I just read Debbie’s @dfish recipes and thought I’d share Ina’s recipe. It’s really easy and I never make a huge amount, usually just two filets so they fit on top of each other.  And I used Vodka instead of Pernod. (However, this doesn’t list the Pernod but I think that the alcohol helps with the curing of the salmon.)  The salt also is part of the curing process. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/gravlax-with-mustard-sauce-recipe-1953595

I always buy frozen salmon, mostly because we can’t get it fresh here, but Debbie makes a good point about the microorganisms. 

If you like Gravlax I highly recommend you trying it yourself. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

@MISTER 67I sure remember Bushman, as well as Freddie and Helen. We, too, lived very close to Lincoln Park Zoo.  Spent a lot of time there over the years.  As a toddler my sister fell in love with Bushman … and as a teen spent a summer volunteering at the children's zoo where she got to play with Freddie and Helen who were young and located there at that time. Years later when my sister would visit the zoo Freddie still recognized her. Sadly he is no longer with us. 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Lenda and others ..... I have thought about taking Amtrak east to get to a cruise, but I don't really fancy a 2 day train trip for a short cruise, plus I would have drive over 3 passes to get to Grand Junction although I could hang south and catch a train at La Junta - still mountains though. At La Junta I could leave me car with a friend. The trip to get to New York or Boston might be longer than the cruise. Right now I am hanging tight in Durango and hoping the plane situation will settle a bit. Or I cruise from San Diego which is an easier drive for me. 

We are getting some light rain.... won't have to turn on sprinklers for another day or two. The lawn is much happier when Mother Nature waters it. I have to do something about a horrible "flower bed" which now is just dead weeds. I am trying to get someone to gravel it for me, but two lawn services have come out, looked at it, and disappeared never to be heard from again.  At least the shelter is progressing. Staff is slowly returning to work and the work on the kennel area starts on Tuesday. We are transferring some dogs to other shelters and relying heavily on fosters for the next 3 weeks and we have let the public know that we are going to limit owner surrenders. I foresee a couple more small dog fosters in my future but they will have to be very temporary and I have a hunch neither Monty nor Bandit will be thrilled. We are getting litters of puppies from the homeless camp across the river from us. We have offered them free spay/neuter but many of the owners keep saying no. A litter of 8 came in yesterday..... border collie/pit bull crosses. That camp is due to close the end of September.... and what happens then is anyone's guess. It is a fire and health hazard and could also easily flood if we have very heavy rains. Something more to worry about...both people and animals.

Susan

Susan, when I suggested Grand Junction, I knew the passes would be a problem.  I never thought about La Junta.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@kochleffel What a great question, of what I could make from what is found in my yard.  Sort of a Brunswick stew, with possum, raccoon, squirrel and fox, flavored with oregano and rosemary.  Put a spring of lantana on it, and I'm set to go.   Like go eat elsewhere.  But I think that with the cost of food going up, we all may be eating on what grows in our yard.

@lindaler We like cruising out of Mobile, and there are some wonderful Gardens a little north west of you.  I keep trying to get DH to take an extra day when we are over there, but he hates to pay for another hotel night, so we have never been.  Maybe next year.  (of course right now only Carnival cruises out of Mobile)  but we like the smaller ships and were amazed when they said they were bringing the Spirit in in two years.  (yes we booked that one too)  Has the layout of the New Amsterdam.  Jut not as classy.

So welcome to your new home!

@Quartzsite Cruiser About 4 years ago, a little 7 year old boy was sitting in church for a midnight service on New Years Eve. A bullet came down through the roof and killed him.  New Years, and the fourth ? the day after- we are picking up bullets from our yard and drive way.  Its so sad that the world cant turn at the speed where it would come down on the person who made the shot.  That would eliminate a few problems in this neighborhood.  That or maybe a more seen police presence.  I digress, sorry.

Ann, Carnival is suspending cruises out of Mobile from from October 15, 2022, through September 30, 2023.  Then they will make an announcement about the future of cruises from Mobile.

Lenda

• Like 11

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon, I hope everyone is having a great day. 
Happy Canada Day to all celebrating today.

Thanks everyone for all the heartfelt wishes yesterday on the loss of Jaguar 💔🐈‍⬛ , he was a special boy and  always talked with his paw when he wanted something. We received a beautiful flower vase and card from the vet, they really love their job and do care about their clients.9BE29821-B186-40E6-8F39-708BC346879D.thumb.jpeg.6c510215c6316b6a6202bf950aef2416.jpeg

That is such a sweet touch from the vet.  I've never known any vet to do that.  What a loving gesture.  

59 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I know it's late in the day, but I would like to post a question to my friends here.  What did you learn during Covid.  By friend, or TV. or a book, or by a change in your own habits?  

I learned how to place bird feeders so that birds felt safe from predators, (this was from watching Springwatch on Britbox) and I learned to drink my coffee black. (this is because cream would go bad before I could get to a store).

Good question!

I learned a lot about growing vegetables in a small space --that in our warm climate, there can be enough there in the garden all year 'round to enjoy something freshly picked.  I'd never tried winter crops before.  I thought all kale had to be tough and gnarly.  Not so.  And sweet leafy cabbages can be had throughout the winter.  I'll never be without fresh veg ever again.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

That is such a sweet touch from the vet.  I've never known any vet to do that.  What a loving gesture.

I agree, what a lovely and beautiful gesture.  When we had to put our last kitty down the vet sent a sweet personalized letter and put her paw print on it.  I treasure it! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm booked on a 10 day out of Mobile this September.  Key West, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, Cozumel on the Ecstasy.  And booked on the Spirit out of Mobile in February 2024, Bimini, Freeport, Nassau and Princess Cay..  These cruises are to do the things at each port we haven't done that we always wanted to do.  In truth though, Bimini has always been on my wish bucket list, no matter how I got there.  And Freeport, has a garden that I have always wanted to visit I haven't been to either of these places.   And of course when Dan the BFF booked us on Holland for next year to complete a few places on our bucket list, well I started looking at HAL.  The ports less touristy, places more interesting.  So I guess I'm going to have to work until I'm 80  or start playing the lottery and actually win, because I have found some of the HAL cruises to go to other places on my bucket list.  I have a big list, and a very big bucket!  But a very tiny wallet.

@1ANGELCAT  That was so nice of your vet.  Our vet takes a paw print of our animals in clay, and sends them to us so that we can hang them somewhere.  I have left them in the boxes that they came in.  I like the flower idea better.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon!  Thank you for the Fleet Report Rich. Thank you everyone for sharing on the Daily. 

I have missed a few days, lots of appointments to catch up on after being away so long.  I wanted to say hi today and welcome to my second favorite month—July (my first being June).

3D98B8B9-79AD-43F5-BC41-4AC7AF43738F.thumb.jpeg.a6f577eb7927002b149e110dcd423a6d.jpeg

I have made today’s meal suggestion before and used Ina Garten’s recipe. It comes out really good but a little on the thicker side because I don’t have a special knife like you really need to get paper thin slices. I need to read the Daily to see what recipes Debbie posted. 

Well, the day has finally arrived, today is Craig’s first official day of retirement. It’ll be a huge adjustment for him. He’s going to miss teaching (things like Excel and PowerPoint).  It’s also his birth month so we have some celebrating to do. 

After DM’s appointment today we went to Texas Roadhouse for lunch and got my favorite BHB wine. Remember Joy?@Seasick Sailor.   DM loved it, said that she liked it more than Kim Crawford. 

CE1546DF-9C65-42DF-89D6-0AA13563F75A.thumb.jpeg.f09681714fd2c81efb4950afda29ab29.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Sure do!

Congratulations Craig! You have lots of time now for books and Negroni!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Thank you for the comments about the flower tribute. They have sent flowers for a long time.

I will get a paw print and some fur ( in a heart shaped bottle) when his cremations are ready. 🐾❤️

That is so nice!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Happy Canada Day!  🇨🇦

Jane @Lazy1 I saw your mention a few days ago about monsoon season. So far we’ve not had much rain but we did have some thunder and a lot of wind this afternoon. Supposedly it’s going to dry up a bit over the next few days. That will be nice because it’s terribly muggy. BTW, what is the name of your iron tablets?  My anemia is back and I’m interested in the no tummy problem kind. 

Vanessa @JazzyV — so happy to hear your cellulitis is gone and you feel better. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers— welcome home!  I need to catch up on the Daily to read about your Heathrow experience. Hopefully it was better than our 2 recent times. 

Linda @lindaler — welcome back!  Great to hear things went smoothly with your move and the selling of your home in Oregon. 

Roy @rafinmd — Bon Voyage!  Can you please post a link to your Live From or your blog?  Thank you!

Final payment is due very soon for our next cruise and I’ve spent a lot of time this week rearranging some things. I found a flight to Quebec that only has one stop, very unusual for us in Tucson, but it arrives two days earlier than we planned and Flight Ease doesn’t offer it so went ahead and canceled our flights with them and booked directly with AA.  Now I just need to figure out what to do with those extra two nights in a hotel. Also spent time on hold with HAL guest services about some credit Craig is due from the Oosterdam but they don’t have enough information from the ship yet. 

Whew!  I just got back from a cruise with crazy travel issues and am now facing it again. I must be crazy. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

Happy Canada day to all Canadian CC members.

Has taken a while to read all the Daily contributions from yesterday and today.

Yesterday we delivered "Meals on Wheels" to housebound people, then shopping for a new iron as my iron died on Thursday while using it........suddenly foul smelling smoke poured out of it.  Then lunch in town before returning home.

Today we have a lovely sunny Saturday.

@lindaler welcome back, wishing you every happiness in your new home.

@1ANGELCAT sorry that Jaguar passed over the Rainbow Bridge, such a kind gesture from your vet to send flowers.

@lazey1 pleased that you had good reports from your doctors.

@JazzyV good that the cellulitis has cleared.

@kazu your flowers are beautiful.

@StLouisCruisers pleased that you are safely home.

@Vict0riann Safe travelling tomorrow. Good that that Pat's nosebleed stopped.

@rafinmd have a relaxing cruise.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Jane @Lazy1 I saw your mention a few days ago about monsoon season. So far we’ve not had much rain but we did have some thunder and a lot of wind this afternoon. Supposedly it’s going to dry up a bit over the next few days. That will be nice because it’s terribly muggy. BTW, what is the name of your iron tablets?  My anemia is back and I’m interested in the no tummy problem kind. 

Sharon, I was going to ask Jane the same thing!  I need iron, but what I'm taking is awful -- can really only tolerate like one a week.

And...congrats to Craig on retiring!  Time for really long cruises -- hooray!  (I'm so glad you're getting right back in the saddle and going on the Atlantic coast one.  I kinda wondered about that.  Still wish we were going with all you guys. ❤️)

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Sharon, I was going to ask Jane the same thing!  I need iron, but what I'm taking is awful -- can really only tolerate like one a week.

And...congrats to Craig on retiring!  Time for really long cruises -- hooray!  (I'm so glad you're getting right back in the saddle and going on the Atlantic coast one.  I kinda wondered about that.  Still wish we were going with all you guys. ❤️)

My NP wants me to take it daily so I'm dreading the side effects.  So Jane @lazey1 I hope you see this.

That's one reason Craig is retiring now, we have too many long trips and cruises scheduled and he has no vacay time!

Yes, going to miss you on the Atlantic Coastal.  Tell DH hi for us.

• Like 8