Historical artifact from Celebrity (menus from 1998)

Daghis

As we proceed through our period of döstädning, we came across a packet of menu cards from our very first cruise, on Century (as she was named back then) from back in October 1998. The menus have "C'97" written at the bottom, so these may have started at some point in 1997.

I hope y'all enjoy this trip down memory lane. 

307997748_CelebrityCenturymenus(October1998).pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yes, I loved the chilled soups!

Ditto, especially the fruit varieties.  Not sure why they fell out of favor.  Great on warm itineraries.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

Thank you for posting and awakening happy memories.   We started cruising with Celebrity in the late 90's too.  I think our first was on the Zenith or Horizon to Bermuda.  I have such warm recollections of those long,  chatty dinners at large tables with new acquaintances,  many of whom became friends.  There have been many changes over the years, but I still feel the excitement of embarkation and consider  dining a highlight of our cruise experience.    

In going through my parents stuff... I came across a menu from the Captains Dinner on the SS Atlantic for July 30 1958. My family sailed on this ship from Amsterdam to NYC... I was about 5 years old at the time... My first cruise...so to speak. Not as fancy an offering as on the more modern cruise to cruise type of sailings... this was more transportation. In fact we sailed to bring back my Dad's 1958 Mercedes 190 coup. I think we were all sea sick on that sailing...no stabilizers back then.

menuSSAtlantic1958.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder.  

What I really miss was when they came to the table with the Desert Tray so you could see what each looks like.   Would especially like that in Luminae where what you order never comes out as you would expect.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the reminder.  

What I really miss was when they came to the table with the Desert Tray so you could see what each looks like.   Would especially like that in Luminae where what you order never comes out as you would expect.

I loved "showtime" for the desserts.  That's what our first waiter, Carlos, called it, and he was a master at it.

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I loved "showtime" for the desserts.  That's what our first waiter, Carlos, called it, and he was a master at it.

I've created a small picture database on a unpublished blog where I have most of the Laminae Deserts with name to help identify

For those that don’t understand.   This is Black Forest Cake revisited

38228AB5-D92A-43C9-918B-7B8F416C5A19.thumb.jpeg.fb187dd90bcb7ad3e2b77f136b2af0a5.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain