Apple Airtags

talljules1

Hello all

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience of using Apple Airtags. I'm mindful that with difficulties in many airports at the moment, having some extra reassurance of where are bags actually are might be useful. (I am aware that they're got good whilst the bags are on conveyor belts in the airport - but perhaps it lets you know that your bags are actually on your flight/coach. I'm equally mindful that, of course, having the tags doesn't alter the likelihood that your bags will travel with you.

Have just ordered some, and from what I have seen online it looks like it is OK to put them inside checked bags, so that's my plan.

Am guessing it might also make it easier to find bags in baggage reclaim in places like Southampton port.

After someone picking up my suitcase at the end of a cruise and taking 30 minutes for it to be located I purchased Air Tags.

I absolutely love them.      On our last trip to Europe I could see my bag where I left it at checkin -  Later I could see it was next to the plane.    When arriving at the airport I could track it just next to the plane and later in the baggage hall. 

In order for it to report it's location someone with an iPhone must be with BlueTooth distance about 30 feet.    It's location is only as accurate as the phone's GPS that last saw it. 

It also gave us peace of mind when 90% of the luggage came into the terminal but ours and about 20 passengers were still mulling around.   I could at least see it was at GLA Airport Runway and about 50 minutes later it finally came out.

• Like 4

I tell you they have also saved me time more than once.   I was helping my Son on an remodel and a couple times I left my backpack behind and when I got a couple blocks away on my hour drive home got a reminder i left my backpack behind. 

If find it funny that it often tells me I left my car behind when i go to the grocery store.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

What does this have to do with Celebrity Cruise Line? 

So, you've never been affected by lost, misdirected, or delayed bags when flying to or from a cruise? Never had a bag not delivered to your cabin on embarkation? Not had any difficulty locating your bags in the baggage hall after disembarking? Consider yourself very lucky.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For me it relevance to  Celebrity as I had a bag at Celebrity's port Everglades Terminal go missing.    I now use on every Celebrity cruise I take.   It helps me both getting my luggage to the port but also helps understand the location once given to the porter until I receive it in my room.    Knowing it's on the ship gives me a sense of security.

On Cruise Critic I find it better to ignore a thread that I'm not interested in instead of leaving a snarky message.  

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

I throw one into each checked bag, too. I bought luggage-tag straps for them, but I just use them to anchor the tag in the bag. (I was thinking nothing screams "take me" like a shiny thing with an Apple logo on it, dangling outside a suitcase.) Like Jim_Iain, I like seeing if the suitcase at least made it near the plane – on occasion, I've even seen it within range of my phone mid flight – and then seeing that it's coming around on the luggage carrousel at the airport.

We, also, have Apple Tags inside each checked bag, and in our carryons, just in case we accidentally walk off without one. We had an overnight layover in Helsinki last month, and it was quite a relief to know that our bags were on the same plane as we were heading home. 

We have one hidden in each vehicle, as well. 

We have them on the dogs' collars. My daughter recently moved in (I've got a rent-paying house sitter now, and we travel far more than we are home - woot!). We are currently home and when my daughter and I walk the dogs in the morning, I get alerts on my phone warning me that an unknown tag is following me. 

They're pretty cool in an "I consciously choose to let Big Brother watch certain things" sort of way. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ericopia said:

I throw one into each checked bag, too. I bought luggage-tag straps for them, but I just use them to anchor the tag in the bag. (I was thinking nothing screams "take me" like a shiny thing with an Apple logo on it, dangling outside a suitcase.) Like Jim_Iain, I like seeing if the suitcase at least made it near the plane – on occasion, I've even seen it within range of my phone mid flight – and then seeing that it's coming around on the luggage carrousel at the airport.

Like you ... I stick mine inside the luggage so it isn't showing but doesn't impact it's efficiency. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Julma said:

I didn't think they were allowed in checked luggage.  Am I wrong?  I have them and have not used them.

Not allowed by whom? And for what reason? They operate on bluetooth, which is allowed on board, and are powered by CR2023 button batteries which are permitted in checked bags. 

29 minutes ago, Julma said:

I didn't think they were allowed in checked luggage.  Am I wrong?  I have them and have not used them.

I checked on it calling the FAA and was told that the battery size exempt them from battery regulation and that Blue Tooth had such a short range it was no problem.  Airplane mode on phones does not turn off blue tooth. 

The Point Guy had a good article on them recently

It is important to note that having an AirTag in a checked bag doesn't violate any FAA regulations. I recently traveled from New York with two checked bags: my ski bag with my actual skis and poles (and some clothing) and a second bag of ski gear that I would need for this trip.May 22, 2022

• Thanks 1

Cruise Critic has a cruising technology forum?  I didn't know that, and I'll bet most posters here didn't know either – and don't care.  But I do know that you don't have to read every thread, and you don't have to post every thought that pops into your head.

So thanks @talljules1 for starting this interesting thread!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

Is there a better place to buy them than Amazon?

If you have an Apple Store near you, that's a good place. Hubby thinks that Best Buy and Target might carry them. Costco now sells Apple products again. I don't know if they have the tags, however.