OCTOBER Cruising

abby1257

6 cruises all in September/October.  Our itinerary has been affected by a hurricane but wherever we end up or go it was always great weather.  I wouldn't let October deter you, just anticipate you may not go to the ports you chose.

• Like 2

The second half of October has a much less chance of a hurricane than mid Audust to mid October.

Septmber is when they usually hit somewhere in the Caribbean weekly.

Just don't take a cruise for a specific port.

Be ready to go where the storm is not.

Plus even if the storm doesn't hit the week you go, it could damage your port the week before and get you rerouted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bguppies said:

Plus even if the storm doesn't hit the week you go, it could damage your port the week before and get you rerouted

Yes, this^^^^. Cruising the Caribbean and expecting a flawless experience is a gamble, but it's not risky from a safety aspect. Hurricane season could mean you are rerouted. Or not. Your ports may be unaffected. Or they could be devastated and have to deal with the aftermath for years to come. And it's different every year.

Edited by mom says

This is just me, but I wouldn’t sail in the Gulf during hurricane season. If a storm comes while you are there, you are screwed. But I’d have zero problem sailing in the Atlantic or Caribbean. If a storm is coming, there are a ton of options. Just be prepared to be flexible. 

Edited by wcook

I concur with the comments above but want to add make sure you have trip insurance!  As others have said, if you are already on the ship the routing and itinerary will be changed.  The problem will be if the embarkation/disembarkation port is in the path of the storm.  Incoming flights will be cancelled, returning ships will not be able to dock, outgoing flight schedules will be chaotic possibly for days, etc.

The old sailors mantra regarding TRS's in the Caribbean

June too soon

July they try

August they must

September remember

October all over.

Having said that I have been too near to Pacific typhoons some six months out of the recognised season ... never bet your pension on Marine weather 😁

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 11:16 PM, wcook said:

This is just me, but I wouldn’t sail in the Gulf during hurricane season. If a storm comes while you are there, you are screwed. But I’d have zero problem sailing in the Atlantic or Caribbean. If a storm is coming, there are a ton of options. Just be prepared to be flexible. 

Have you any idea of the sizes of the areas you discuss?  The Caribbean covers about 1 million square miles, while the Gulf of Mexico about 600 thousand. 

With modern technology it is almost as easy for a ship in the Gulf of Mexico to avoid impacted areas as in the Caribbean.  A hurricane will have serious impact on an area of perhaps 5,000 square miles in any particular time frame.  Hardly a sufficient difference to justify your distinction between "you are screwed" and "zero problem".   In the Caribbean a ship must avoid 1% of the area at any given time, while in the Gulf it must avoid 10%.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:46 PM, abby1257 said:

Looking at booking a Cruise on October 22, Caribbean....Is it safe to say that we could potentially get some really crappy weather, this is hurricane season, correct? 

Yes - but realistically the odds are strongly against (perhaps 1 chance in 200) that weather could impact your sailing date and maybe one in 20 that it could impact your itinerary.   If you are not dead set on one particular port of call, you should be happy to roll with it.

I have  booked a few cruises for our family during hurricane season. Only once was I concerned, I let my wife know but didn't tell the kids as to not worry them. Weather was lousy on our way out of port but that was it. It was the smoothest and most cloudless cruise ever. Just stunning.

And I will add that I get insurance for all of our cruises, summer or winter.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:46 PM, abby1257 said:

Looking at booking a Cruise on October 22, Caribbean....Is it safe to say that we could potentially get some really crappy weather, this is hurricane season, correct? 

Go for it. The odds you'll have decent weather are still in your favour although not as good as other times of the year. If your luck doesn't hold then enjoy the ride. Heavy weather on a cruise is an experience everyone should have at least once.🙂   

i've taken 5 or 6 cruises all in october and aside from some rain here and there nothing major happened with the weather. all but one in the carribean. also it's not as hot as when you go in the middle of summer.