Ship time changing during cruise

Carnival normally keeps the ship on the same time as its embarkation port, unless it makes sense to change to local time (ie Alaska and Bermuda). Not being familiar with the west coast itineraries, I can only guess it made sense to change to match the ports.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Carnival normally keeps the ship on the same time as its embarkation port, unless it makes sense to change to local time (ie Alaska and Bermuda). Not being familiar with the west coast itineraries, I can only guess it made sense to change to match the ports.

When I was on the Mexican Riviera itinerary, ship's time was actually 1 hour earlier than all 3 ports. So even if the ship's time changes, it may not match the ports.

The ship had to move 1 hour forward between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta to keep from falling 2 hours behind the time ashore. Puerto Vallarta is two hours ahead of Long Beach, although it is not really any further east than El Paso, which is only one hour ahead.

• Like 2

At the risk of being called out like the person above, Ive never had to change on a Caribbean cruise for CCL, but did on NCL. It actually made it alot easier when we were in Grand Cayman as our tour guide kept using HIS local time and we had to adjust based on CCL's ship time and keep reminding him of the difference when we would talk about what time it was.

Edited by dltvermont
Spelling
  • Like 1

Only one time change on Carnival because we sailed over the switch to daylight savings. Other cruise lines we have experienced the ship changing time to local times. I actually prefer that because it’s less stress than being paranoid that my phone time switched over. 

• Like 3

I've experienced time changes because of DST but not because of time zone differences. All the cruises I've been on have kept to the home port's time, even when the ship crosses time zones to go to Bermuda, Aruba, etc. My understanding is changing time zones is up to the captain.

• Like 3

The only time I've ever been through a time change on the ship was when we sailed out of Long Beach.  Never when we've sailed from Galveston regardless of destination.  (all Carnival sailings except for one on Royal, all Caribbean or Bahamas)

• Like 1

It could make sense that NCL would change times in the Eastern or Western Caribbean if sailing out of the East Coast US during daylight savings time when many of the island and ports aren't on daylight savings and thus could a 2 hour difference could be confusing.

But I've never had a time change during a cruise on either CCL or RCCL.

• Like 1

We changed time (an hour back) on our recent Alaska cruise. It happened overnight on the first night, so it was super confusing. The ships clocks didn't change until mid-day for some reason, and our phones remained on the previous time the entire day as we weren't "physically" in the new time zone until Day 3. I think they did it that way because we were in port on Day 3, and they didn't want to change the day we were arriving somewhere?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, howbazar said:

I was recently on an Alaskan Cruise on the Splendor.  We changed to Alaskan time zone. And of course Mediterranean cruises change time zones 

Baltic cruises also change time zones, especially back when St. Petersburg was one of the ports.

• Like 1

Carnival appears to be the only line that does not trust its passengers to  understand and follow changes in time zones.

All the many other lines I have cruised change the time on board to meet the time in the port of call (Caribbean included).

• Like 2