Table for Two question

loftken

We're considering a cruise on Diamond Princess. How are the two-person tables situated in the dining rooms on Diamond or  similar ships like Crown and Ruby? We've had uncomfortable experiences with these tables being placed so close together that we felt more like we were at a table for six! When there was the option of fixed seating this wasn't a problem. Any info or suggestions about how to work with  this situation? 

We were on Grand Princess and requested a table for 2.  They TRIED to seat us at a setup that had 3 tables for 2 so close together you’d think it was a table for 6; MAYBE a 2 inch separation.  We refused and they found us a table that was socially distanced.  Just politely decline anything you’re not comfortable with.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, loftken said:

We've had uncomfortable experiences with these tables being placed so close together that we felt more like we were at a table for six!

It is like this on every ship.  Two tables for two that are next to one another are really a table for four separated by about 10 inches.  And three such tables in a row can be really troublesome if you are seated at the one in middle.  The person seated closest to the wall cannot get up to use the restroom without the fear of knocking into the neighboring table.  Whoever is more likely to have to excuse themselves for a minute during dinner should grab the "easy exit" seat.

This is a common site on every ship:

Island Princess Main Dining Room menu 2 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 2:06 PM, JimmyVWine said:

It is like this on every ship.  Two tables for two that are next to one another are really a table for four separated by about 10 inches.  And three such tables in a row can be really troublesome if you are seated at the one in middle.  The person seated closest to the wall cannot get up to use the restroom without the fear of knocking into the neighboring table.  Whoever is more likely to have to excuse themselves for a minute during dinner should grab the "easy exit" seat.

This is a common site on every ship:

Island Princess Main Dining Room menu 2 

And in the background of your photo can be seen several two-tops that are by themselves, so to imply that all are packed in together is not accurate. 

We used to always get a table for 2.  Gave up and decided to skip MDR back when Ruby was new.  Now do buffet or Crown Grill only.  Love the table for 2 with a sunset in the buffet and the Crown Grill where we usually get a booth.   

Besides this, would guess asking for a 4 top for 2 and plan to do late dining, usually lots of tables. 

28 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

And in the background of your photo can be seen several two-tops that are by themselves, so to imply that all are packed in together is not accurate. 

Sure it is.  If you read what I said, it was that:

"Two tables for two that are next to one another are really a table for four separated by about 10 inches.  And three such tables in a row can be really troublesome if you are seated at the one in middle."

The picture I showed was of two tables for two, next to one another.  The table in the background is a single table for two.  I never said that ALL tables for two are configured as two or more together. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sloopsailor said:

Well, that one definitely looks like a 4-top that they barely split apart to force two 2-tops.  The most infamous proximity 2-tops are the ones they line up along a bench wall and can configure in different ways to suit demand.  When all are 2's, it's cramped.  I am glad we mostly sail with friends and get a stand-alone 4-top.

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

But, if everyone wants a two top, well away from everyone else,  the queues will be enormous.

You cannot satisfy everyone.

Exactly. That's why you should get to dinner early and let the latecomers line up and wait. 😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billco said:

Still better than sharing a table with others.

Exactly - we ate at a table for 2 for 15 out of 16 nights aboard the Island Princess.  The tables were close and we were able to enjoy talking with those next to us (if they were talkative) as if we were at a shared table, yet we were on our own schedule as were they.  So we didn't have to wait on everyone to be served at the same time (or waiting to start eating to be polite) as would have been the case if sitting with others.  For us it wasn't fear of Covid, it was that we wanted to make the early show every evening.  And we still got to chat with fellow cruisers.  For us the distance was not a negative.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Exactly. That's why you should get to dinner early and let the latecomers line up and wait. 😁

I'd rather eat late and share than eat in the afternoon !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

+1

That's our strategy also.

Was on the Sky in March.

First night the table was one of those tables for 2 with 12 inches between tables.  Awkward to have a chat with Her Majesty knowing everything I said was being heard by the next table folks.  We did enjoy just remaining quiet and listen to their conversations though.  LOL. Reminded me of why I do not like to dine out in NYC.  I scoped out the dining room and spotted a great table for 2.  Took down the coveted table number. 

We asked (begged, pleaded, groveled) every evening during the Medallion line up at the entrance and requested that table.  We scored every night but we worked it.  Some evenings the tall man in the dark suit had to be summoned to give permission. 

So our suggestion if you want a good table for 2:

• go early. (the line was up the stairs many evenings when we were leaving)
  • know the table number
  • plan to plead and beg for permission every night

It can be done!  

LOL...what a mess they have created. 

Dine My Way is more like Dining while swimming upstream!

Good luck!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

+1

That's our strategy also.

Was on the Sky in March.

First night the table was one of those tables for 2 with 12 inches between tables.  Awkward to have a chat with Her Majesty knowing everything I said was being heard by the next table folks.  We did enjoy just remaining quiet and listen to their conversations though.  LOL. Reminded me of why I do not like to dine out in NYC.  I scoped out the dining room and spotted a great table for 2.  Took down the coveted table number. 

We asked (begged, pleaded, groveled) every evening during the Medallion line up at the entrance and requested that table.  We scored every night but we worked it.  Some evenings the tall man in the dark suit had to be summoned to give permission. 

So our suggestion if you want a good table for 2:

• go early. (the line was up the stairs many evenings when we were leaving)
  • know the table number
  • plan to plead and beg for permission every night

It can be done!  

LOL...what a mess they have created. 

Dine My Way is more like Dining while swimming upstream!

Good luck!

We reserved a table for two every night in advance.   I would check via the tv daily to make sure the reservations were still there and if not, re-reserve.   And if there was a night in the future that I couldn't reserve, I'd keep checking and one always came up.

We requested a table with 2 push in chairs and were given a great table on the Royal in the Concerto dining room. Felt very comfortable with distancing. We had a 6:20 private table table. Liked the time as it was a "slack" time between early line-up diners and the 7-7:30 show crowd.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, broker1217 said:

We were just on Majestic-and the tables for 2 in MDR are that close.

FWIW---we only ate indoors 4 times on our cruise and tested positive or COVID the day after we got home.

Congratulations, well done. 

There are tables for 2 and then there are tables for 2 if you know what I mean.

Talk to the head waiter when you know the number you want & they most times let you sit there for the whole cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Esprit said:

We’re currently on Regal and there are abundance of tables for two.

Large tables seem to be for family groups.

We really miss our preferred table of 8 mixing with fellow guests.

There does seem to be some morbid fear out there that the moment you sit at a table with other guests,  you are bound to get struck down with Covid. 

I totally agree with you that meeting and chatting with other cruisers over dinner is one of the pleasures of cruising. 

The paranoia about sharing tables is destroying the cruise experience.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2022 at 4:05 PM, Senga said:

We were on Grand Princess and requested a table for 2.  They TRIED to seat us at a setup that had 3 tables for 2 so close together you’d think it was a table for 6; MAYBE a 2 inch separation.  We refused and they found us a table that was socially distanced.  Just politely decline anything you’re not comfortable with.

I agree with your comments.... the only caveat/concern is that it must seem rude to people who are at the adjacent table when you wave off the host - as if they were the reason you did not want to sit there.

Perhaps best to state your preference immediately. We try to have some patience and understand that it is not practical to expect to have an isolated table in a prime location every night.   My wife probably did the best job (which we still joke about) when I requested a table for two and she added with authority 'ALONE'.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MissP22 said:

There are tables for 2 and then there are tables for 2 if you know what I mean.

Talk to the head waiter when you know the number you want & they most times let you sit there for the whole cruise. 

MissP22, you are so so correct...

Where did the chat about tables for 2 go to ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Peggy and Mossey said:

Where did the chat about tables for 2 go to ?

We rarely eat in MDR anymore.  Many of the tables for two have been close to each other since we started cruising in 2006.  We got tired of having another couple almost sitting in our laps and deciding that we were now their BFFs.  It's nice to meet other people at a bar or at poolside and then go our way.  Sometimes people think that sharing a table (which is what the close tables for 2 amount to) means a close personal connection has been made.  For some reason, this doesn't happen in the buffet even where their tables for 2 are also close together.  

21 hours ago, Esprit said:

We’re currently on Regal and there are abundance of tables for two.

Large tables seem to be for family groups.

We really miss our preferred table of 8 mixing with fellow guests.

Which DR?