The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 14th, 2022

richwmn

Bastille Day

Today is Shark Awareness Day, Pandemonium Day, and National Macaroni and Cheese Day

If you're gonna be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.--Marilyn Monroe

Meal Suggestion for today - coconut cabbage and tofu with lemongrass and ginge
Drink of the Day - Amaretto Sour
Wine of the Day - Meiomi Rosé, California
Destination of the Day - Piraeus (Athens), Greece

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Warnemunde-Rostock, Germany 06:00 - 23:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Split, Croatia eta 07/15

Rotterdam

Stavanger, Norway 08:00 - 15:00

Westerdam

Halibut Point, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Qaqortoq, Greenlan eta 07/15

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 07/15

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0714Atlantic.thumb.png.f840104077642dd0353ebce58586a4b6.png

0714Alaska.thumb.png.1b43db3e69f003e2a8101bc136cfa92d.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for the Bastille Day Report, Rich.  I hope to avoid Pandemonium but will enjoy the other 2 days with Mac  & Cheese for dinner tonight.  I've departed from Piraeus twice, on Silver Whisper and Crystal Serenity.  I think I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  My alternative is Cantaloupe boat, Chilled Blueberry Soup, and Quail with Apricot Bread Stuffing as served on MS Rotterdam VI July 14. 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP Buddy 7/13/22
RIP Nora Brown of Howick QC, 7/11/22
HAL Sailer DB with severe covid
Sarah with covid  but improving
Camila and mom with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but prognosis still uncertain
From the rotation:
StLouisSal with weakening
Tana with persistant cough
HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt undergoing rehab after serious mowing accident
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
smitty34877 on Cape Cod
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Volendam caring for refugees
3 days for dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15)
2 days for Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9)
ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16).  dobiemom (Rotterdam to 7/17), RWSBADGER (Noordam to 7/17), and  luvteaching (Westerdam to 7/17) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A cool morning, but supposed to warm up this afternoon.

Happy La Fete National.  

Interesting days.  Sharks are scary thanks to "Jaws" but important.   I can't celebrate Pandemonium Day, I don't want that.  Mac and cheese sounds good.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, but I think I'd like the cocktail.   Hope the wine isn't too sweet.

We were in Piraeus several years ago, I don't know if I can find pictures.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.   Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I was never was a fan of Marilyn Monroe and don't think much of her quote.

Shark attacks for some reason are on the rise in the U.S. this year so be careful when taking a dip in the ocean.

Can't argue with a day for macaroni and cheese.

Pass on the food and drink.

British Open is underway at iconic St. Andrew's in Scotland.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’ll celebrate Pet Shop Boys song Pandemonium, it’s in my playlist.  I enjoy good macaroni and cheese.  If I can substitute something for the tofu I’d give today’s meal suggestion a try.  I’ll wait for @dfish recipes and pictures.  It looks like I’ll finally catch up on work emails today and after a zoom meeting yesterday I got the green light on moving forward with tour projects for a hospital system.  That means a busy week coming up.  I hope everyone enjoys the day today.

• Like 28

Good afternoon from a cloudy 70°F North East coast of England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Many thanks Roy for today's lists and Sarah's inclusion.

I do not like 2 faced people so the quote is Lost on me.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Sadness and heartfelt condolences to Buddy's family @StLouisCruisers Sandi.

We have been to Piraeus and seen the Athens sights.

I have a doctor's appointment later regarding my steroid knee injections.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220714_114505.jpg

Screenshot_20220714_115148.jpg

Screenshot_20220714_115216.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Not quite a sunrise, this was taken July 14, 2018 on ViaRail's Canadian near the remote village of Nakima, Ontario (far North of Thunder Bay) and is first light reflected in a placid wilderness lake.

1299064264_DSCF5239(Medium).thumb.JPG.6649b38d6486dbf8dd34151dd52918d3.JPG

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!  I am hoping last night’s storms have removed some of the humidity. It was brutal yesterday afternoon. Even Bindi wasn’t interested in much of a walk. The pool got a great deal of use & we all slept like logs. The girls get a kick out of Bindi snoring gently. 

Thank you for our lists Roy. Special prayers for @StLouisCruisers, Sandi’s family on Buddy’s passing. We have not decided what we are doing today, but the girls are enjoying a pre-breakfast dip in the pool, while their parents sleep in a bit. 

The girls loved this meme….

E9A01916-BF2D-4F55-9576-05BC53831EF1.jpeg.77764b88e6ec8f2d4d4cebf296775872.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Meiomi Rosé

From the vintners who make one of my favorite Pinot Noirs comes this wine. I don’t usually go out of my way to try a rosé, but I will make an exception here. Widely available with prices starting at $13.99.

From “The Honest Wine Reviewer”

Meiomi Rose comes from Acampo, California, USA and the 2016 vintage is the first time Meiomi has ever released a Rose. According to the tasting notes, fruit for this wine was sourced from three different counties… 48% Sonoma, 43% Monterey and 9% Santa Barbara, with each county said to contribute its own flavor characteristics. The wine was aged in stainless steel and the predominate varietal is Pinot Noir.

From the bottle:

“Inspired by coastal maritime influences, Meiomi Rose bursts with vibrant, floral aromas and mouthwatering fruit flavors of strawberry, cranberry and watermelon.”

Appearance

In appearance, Meiomi Rose is pale salmon in color and very translucent.

Light shining through leaves a lovely pale pink glow on the table.

It’s quite a leggy wine and it coats up the glass nicely when tipped.  Legs appear in various sizes and forms and are mostly slow to fall.

Aroma

I normally don’t expect a Rose to have much of an aroma, but this wine’s aroma is noticeable from a foot away from the glass.

It’s enjoyable, with notes of fresh watermelon and strawberry.  You might find the aroma similar to a Sauvignon Blanc or a Pinot Grigio. Meiomi Rose alcohol content 13.2% by volume, per the bottle.  There’s no sting of alcohol in the nose.

Taste

I tasted this wine slightly chilled. On the palate, you get chamomile, cranberry and orange zest coupled with a good bit of minerality and acidity. For some reason, I was expecting sweetness however none was present, which suited me well.

I found the taste enjoyable, uncomplicated and easily sippable.

Mouthfeel

The wine exhibited a lush mouthfeel with some very mild tannins on the sides of the tongue.

Finish

The finish was long lasting and pleasant. It started out with the orange zest flavors but then slowly gave way to just a bit of bitterness.

Overall Opinion

Overall, I enjoyed this off-dry Rose and I think Meiomi is off to a great start with this inaugural vintage. Give this a try if you want to get on Meiomi’s “ground floor” of Rose.  And, enjoy it as a nice summer sipper.

Suggested Food Pairing

Give this one a try with Food and Wine’s recommendation of rosemary flatbread with blue cheese. Actually, I think anything cheesy would pair well with this wine as the acidity might balance out the richness of the cheese.  Go for a richer cheese versus a lighter cheese in this case.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 4

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Wonderful to see France celebrating Fete National (aka Bastille Day) with a tribute to Ukraine 👍  Not sure if I want to celebrate today’s collection of days especially pandemonium - I’ve had more than enough 😉 I have to stop saying “it is what it is” apparently.

18ABA91E-A13A-4F9A-A37F-EC8682AB58A8.jpeg.02f1f90c6abffb52a284f043c60c56e0.jpeg

LOL on Marilyn’s quote.  The meal of the day sounds intriguing (sans tofu).  We have been to today’s port several times.  It offers other sights nearby besides Athens well worth seeing.  

DH had one pile of garden tools in the shed.  I found one I hadn’t seen before (Jose must have bought it for him to help in the garden - who knows how long ago?) and tried it in the garden.  Oh my, it was pretty good at helping me weed 👍. I’ll be trying it again today for sure 😉 

Well, it was 5 days so I nervously took the special bandages off to wash and treat the toe and re-bandage.  Ugh. Never fear - I don’t believe in sharing injury pictures 😂 

33BC3BE6-D4D6-4CB9-89B7-4E5AE0A5703C.thumb.jpeg.f20e4eafe54efc0cf297d6f542da5fcf.jpeg

A better pic of Shadow that I screen shot from a video.

D8EE269D-471D-4916-8A2A-176639551EF9.jpeg.cf48a97009b87bb7c6cd7d9641b815b0.jpeg

I grieve for @StLouisCruisers, Amy, Buddy’s children and family.  May he rest in peace 🙏 

@dfish I believe you are on your way today - safe travels and Bon Voyage!

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Thursday everyone !!!!!!

275BEFF0-1B8F-4D2C-A024-361039995438.jpeg.172729c5bd95da0cf7ac7cbb9a18fe28.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone!

It is looking like a nice day in northeast Ohio.  We had some storms blow through and it was pretty windy for a while, but we did need the rain.  I'm not going to complain about that!  The suitcases are all lined up by the front door and ready to go out to the car.  I'm meeting Sister Sue at Sister Barb's house this afternoon.  We're leaving one car at Barb's and taking the other to the airport where I got a deal on a room tonight with two weeks parking included.  On the way to Barb's I am stopping in Toledo to have lunch with my friend John.  So, a busy day ahead!   

Today's meal is interesting given the flavor combinations.  @Crazy For Cats Jake, you can always substitute chicken for tofu.  When you see tofu, think chicken.  You can probably do other meats as well, but with the coconut, lemongrass, and ginger I would want a mild flavored meat.  Most of the recipes were based on the one by Epicurious, but I have reached my monthly limit there.  Here's the first recipe:  https://www.kulinarian.com/recipes/coconut-cabbage-and-tofu-with-lemongrass-and-ginger-epicurious-com/

1362199667_coconutcabbage1.jpeg.9f660a6b9e42a68e6ac8c8766d2d2c1d.jpeg

Since the recipes are all based on the one by Epicurious, I branched out to find similar dishes.  Here is a coconut cabbage soup with lemongrass.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/asian-coconut-cabbage-soup-lemongrass

1222731176_coconutcabbage3.jpg.38bbb4b5d686665bf4ed8fb1c253bc96.jpg

This is another soup recipe.   https://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Thai-Coconut-Cabbage-Soup/72349/

1676516447_coconutcabbage4.jpeg.828497442269e75fb9bbc1565cf6a05d.jpeg

This one is missing the cabbage, but it has everything else.  The crispy part is what attracted me.  https://www.wholefoodbellies.com/crispy-lemongrass-ginger-tofu/

744890668_coconutcabbage5.jpg.da4e7e276b5d8d2113ea85acf55f15e3.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially victims of violence and injustice.   Special prayers for Daily family members who face challenges and struggles, especially the family of @StLouisCruisers Sandi who suffered the loss of Buddy.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day!

I will now turn this over to Tina @0106 who has graciously offered to stand in for me while I am having the time of my life in Norway with family and friends.  I should be back August 2nd if my flights work out!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 16

Happy Thursday Morning Dailyites!  Today DH is going to the Pain Clinic.  Per the oncologist, surgery option is not on the table.  The goal is to find a way to deal with the pain without all the drugs.

Well we reached out to several people about a new campaign for DH, and he got an offer I would have jumped at,  and another offer, but he doesn't know what for, so he will wait to make up his mind.  He was hoping for an east coast gig, and so far the offer is for central time.

My palms are itching like crazy.  My mom used to say if your palms itch it means money will cross your palms.  I should buy a lottery ticket, or see a dermatologist soon.

Well I need to get up off my butt and fix breakfast, 

I am aware of sharks, having stepped on one once. I respect them, and fear them, and never ever want to be close to one again.  it's a little too warm to think about mac and cheese,  and noit sure how to celebrate Pandemonium.

5b3b4e80b2dcefac7991bfe9762088f8.jpg

0e08fcf3f5469b5d191f22a16fd03af5.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone! Yesterday, I did manage to unpack and get three loads of laundry done and some important prescriptions refilled. I have my order from my Colonel, that Scotland clothing goes on this bed and Norway cruise clothes go on another bedroom bed. This morning we are going shopping for some added clothes items and I need some new Eddie Bauer waterproof footwear. Nearby is one of the largest designer shop outlet’s in the country. The problem is finding some longer sleeve cooler climate items in Florida during the summer.

We have been watching some cruise bloggers video streams on You Tube who recently sailed on Sky Princess in Norway. I hope our weather is as beautiful as some of their days. Beautiful scenery but I think that size ship is way  too large for our liking.

Have been to Athens, not a Big Mac & Cheese fan primarily due to calories, have aches this morning as usual, it’s called aging! I prefer aging to alternative!

@dfishHave a safe trip and wonderful cruise.

Thanks Rich and all our wonderful subscribers to the Daily. Great paper and it’s free!

Enjoy the day!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 35

Good morning.  I think I need to check in early lest the day slip away from me like yesterday did.

Thank you to both Rich and Roy for the lists.

Again, my condolences to @StLouisCruisers Sandi on the passing of Buddy. Prayers for your family during this sad and stressful time.  May he Rest In Peace.  

As for the days, i understand the importance of sharks, but keep them at a distance.  I don’t need and pandemonium in my life.  I have had enough of that.  Just need some peace now.  I like Mac and Cheese and wouldn’t mind some.  As long as someone makes it for me.  

Not fond of Marilyn Monroe and the quote is typical of something she would say.

I will skip the meal.  Coconut and cabbage are not two of my favorites, So I will give that a pass.

I have never had an amaretto sour, but I would like to try one.  I will wait for instructions.

Like Rose and it fits my budget.  May see if I can get a bottle.

Been to Piraeus a number of times and stayed in Athens twice.  Don’t know if I can find some photos to posts.

Today I have to go out and do battle with the endodontist’s office.  When I had a root canal back in May they wanted half the money and said they would file the insurance claim.  Now they want the other half.  I have dental benefits under two different sources. First under my health insurance and secondly under DH’s union. I tried to explain and brought the forms with me that my own insurance has to be filed first and then that EOB must be sent to DH’s union.  Well yesterday I received  a bill for the remainder of the amount less the $9 my insurance paid with the notation that DH’s union paid $0.  When i pulled up the claim from DH’s union, there is no claim.  So Lord knows what and if they filed anything.  This is my third trip to that office regarding this claim.  I gave them the claim forms, put sticky notes on them with the instructions on what needed to be filed first, etc.  They just do not pay attention.  I am certainly not paying them another $850 when there is no evidence of a claim being filed. I will try to be nice and patient when I am there.

End of rant!

Prayers for all on the cares list.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Enjoy but be careful and safe.  The Omicron variants are showing their ugly heads again.

Happy Bastille Day to our French Friends.

Have a wonderful day.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Some uplifting news to share:

Tomorrow, a month after his mowing accident and two weeks after he was moved from the hospital to rehab, my DH's nephew Curt will be going home! He has made good physical progress and his thinking is clearer. He will receive Home Health Care plus ongoing Physical Therapy there.

His 89 year old mother (DH's sister) will continue to have assistance from others as Curt isn't able to resume that responsibility yet (ever?). There is still a long road of recovery ahead but this is another positive step…

Thank you, @rafinmd, for having included him on the rotation list. And, thank you everyone for your prayers.

-Melisa 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Some uplifting news to share:

Tomorrow, a month after his mowing accident and two weeks after he was moved from the hospital to rehab, my DH's nephew Curt will be going home! He has made good physical progress and his thinking is clearer. He will receive Home Health Care plus ongoing Physical Therapy there.

His 89 year old mother (DH's sister) will continue to have assistance from others as Curt isn't able to resume that responsibility yet (ever?). There is still a long road of recovery ahead but this is another positive step…

Thank you, @rafinmd, for having included him on the rotation list. And, thank you everyone for your prayers.

-Melisa 

That is wonderful news!   

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all. We have not been to the port and will pass on the recipe today. We are aware of sharks and their seal food supply. The life guards at Nauset beach were very aware of them as well. I will pass on the pandemonium and salute Bastille Day.

We have one more beach day and return home tomorrow. It has been so nice to spend huge chunks of time together.

Terry

• Like 28

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

"la Fête Nationale Française"  to everyone of French descent. I have already played, for myself, the Mireille Mathieu recording on YouTube singing the "La Marsellaise." What a moving National Anthem! We have been able to trace our French lineage to before the 17th century under Louis XIII. My family immigrated through Canada in the 1600's. One relative was allegedly an illiterate trapper. The strain of relatives that stayed in Canada kept the original French spelling of our last name. 

My brother is not doing well and I have a feeling that next week when we visit for the wedding it may be the last time I get to see him. It seems there has not been any improvement so it just depends ...

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends.  It is so nice to come to such a friendly, warm, comforting place each day.  Thank you all who have sent your sympathy to Buddy's family since I signed off last night which includes @kb4683, @Seasick Sailor, @cunnorl, @ger_77, @erewhon, @Cruzin Terri, @HAL Sailer, @TiogaCruiser, @grapau27, @Vict0riann, @puppycanducruise, @cat shepard, @kazu, @seagarsmoker, @4966and556 and @dfishyou are all wonderful caring people or as Ann @marshhawksays, our angels.  Buddy's family all appreciate your condolences and even though Amy is a strong woman she could use your prayers.  Thank you all.

Happy Bastille Day to our French friends.  I will say yes to macaroni and cheese, no to sharks and pandemonium.  I think the rose' sounds quite nice, no to the drink and tofu suggestion.  Another odd Marilyn Monroe quote.  Piraeus (Athens) was the port of the day on Dec. 24, 2021.  We had many photos posted that day but I wasn't one of the posters due to the fact we drove to Ohio that day and it was late in the day before I got around to reading and posting.  I'll wait and see if we have a lot of photos today or not before I go hunting for my photos.  I looked up our visits there and we've been there 5 times so I must have a few photos.  We didn't go into Athens each visit, I do know that.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for posting all these discussion topics today on the Fleet Report and Daily!

Also thanks go to Roy @rafinmdfor his Care and Celebration lists.  I appreciate your mention of Buddy's passing.  It's been quite the journey since his first surgery for throat cancer right before Christmas.  Prayers were said this morning for all before I even hit the treadmill.  By the way, there was minor pain in the leg overnight.  I'm hoping to keep it manageable and perhaps it will go away on its own with time.  As for the celebrants, cheers to all of you!  Debbie @dfishsafe travels today and this weekend as you head out for your cruise.  We will miss you however and look forward to seeing you back here Aug. 2.  Good luck today Graham @grapau27at your doctor appointment.  Hope everything works out well.  Also hope Sarah is feeling better every day.  Jacqui @kazuShadow is a handsome dog!  I know he will be lucky to have such a great Mom when he arrives.  Sorry about the toe but hope it's looking a little better.  Glad you found the weeding tool to help make life easier for you.  And don't work too hard!  Jack @HeartgroveI'm sorry to hear your DB doesn't seem to be doing well lately.  I hope you can get that very important visit in with him next week.  That wedding is finally here!  Safe travels there.

I forgot my weather report!  It's cloudy as it has been a lot lately.  More rain expected here and there during the day.  I wish I could send some to those who need it (my DD in Cincinnati for one).  As long as it's not flooding I'll take the rain.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5