Cruise cost

UnVrYaN

My wife and I had not been cruising for many years raising a family etc. We went in a cruise about 2-3 years ago and we’re blown away with all the nickel and diming. Is there a cruise line that doesn’t do this to you? We have been on dozens of cruise on just about every line through the years so we understand the standard charges, gratuity, drinks, etc. 

Lots of higher end cruises are all inclusive.  Just do a search on the WEB sites of higher end cruises.  However you need to balance the higher cost per day against what you get.  Personally I like the high end ambiance and the fact that I don't have to pay for everything as opposed to the cheaper cattle car type cruises.  Just do a bit of research on the WEB.

DON

• Like 2

We sail mainstream lines, but we pay for the cruise and gratuities in advance, and consider it done. We don't have much interest in excursions, specialty dining, spa, etc., so no expectation of being hit with expenses there.  As far as photographers, art auction, etc., we just say "no thank you" and there is no further pressure.

We have loyalty levels that give us several drinks a day free of charge.  We barely use them, and personally, I would not be as interested in having unlimited drinks as part of my cruise fare, thus subsidizing others who drink all day.  Excursions included?  No thanks; we've done that.  We are happy to stick with the mainstream lines.

OP, Can you tell us more about your negative experiences?  In what areas/situations did you find the nickel-and-diming?

We've sailed on many different cruise lines.  I pay for whatever we want with the booking and have never experienced any of the hustling that people complain about.  My husband enjoys tipping in cash directly to the people who give us good service.  But maybe I just didn't notice, I've never had the slightest problem with "No, thanks". 

• Like 2

There are several cruise lines that are virtually-all-inclusive; you'll pay more for the experience, but the experience is different.  I think it's better -- I don't like having to "pay" for anything once I've paid for my cruise, whether I pay in cash or pay by swiping my card.  I prefer not to even consider money when I'm on vacation, and premium or luxury cruise lines are just about the only way to do it. 

Whether you'll think the different atmosphere is worth the extra cost of the cruise is up to you. 

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Lots of higher end cruises are all inclusive.  Just do a search on the WEB sites of higher end cruises.  However you need to balance the higher cost per day against what you get.  Personally I like the high end ambiance and the fact that I don't have to pay for everything as opposed to the cheaper cattle car type cruises.  Just do a bit of research on the WEB.

DON

Huh? You are paying for everything.  You're just payingfor all of it upfront. Even if you don't want or need it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are not forced to buy anything onboard

Set a budget  before you sail  be sure to include  the gratuities if not pre paid

most lines  have no charge for coffee /tea/tap water

If you want all inclusive  try Regent  but  you will pay  more  for the cruise than main stream lines

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

Huh? You are paying for everything.  You're just payingfor all of it upfront. Even if you don't want or need it.

Not true on the premium lines like Oceania where basics like beverages and internet, as well as air tix or an air credit, are included. All dining venues have the highest TV quality ingredients and preparation. The only difference is menu focus and ambiance AND there’s no extra charge. Then you get one included optional perk area from among tours or booze or SBC.
On Oceania , you have choice and you handle it all upfront. Zero nickel diming. 

23 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not true on the premium lines like Oceania... , you have choice and you handle it all upfront. Zero nickel diming. 

I think @cruizergal70meant -- you are paying for the experience, just because you are paying all up front, you are still paying for it.

I think it was NCL Star where they would beckon you to attend a diamond earring raffle just to subject to unrelated art auctions etc. That is only one reason we do not sail on NCL. 

RCI was the least in-your-face with upcharge "opportunities". There were sales in the boutiques, that is all. (But they were VERY class-conscience with Legacy level passengers traipsing through the public areas for their "special" cocktail parties. I do not see this on HAL.)

We are HAL afficionados and do not remember anything broadcast over the PA (unlike NCL). Yes there are tables with cut-rate gift-shop items on the Lido Deck (I look at it as Xmas shopping!) and of course Spa treatments etc are upcharge. But very little "in the face" marketing.

To each their own.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I think @cruizergal70meant -- you are paying for the experience, just because you are paying all up front, you are still paying for it.

I think it was NCL Star where they would beckon you to attend a diamond earring raffle just to subject to unrelated art auctions etc. That is only one reason we do not sail on NCL. 

RCI was the least in-your-face with upcharge "opportunities". There were sales in the boutiques, that is all. (But they were VERY class-conscience with Legacy level passengers traipsing through the public areas for their "special" cocktail parties. I do not see this on HAL.)

We are HAL afficionados and do not remember anything broadcast over the PA (unlike NCL). Yes there are tables with cut-rate gift-shop items on the Lido Deck (I look at it as Xmas shopping!) and of course Spa treatments etc are upcharge. But very little "in the face" marketing.

To each their own.

Don’t know why you’re quoting me.

FWIW: We’ve done numerous true bottom line cost comparisons of various lines with Oceania (which includes what we want in the basic O Life fare and would have to pay extra for on mass market lines): Internet, beverages, gratuities, specialty restaurants, airfare credit and a choice of an included amenity group from tours, booze or SBC.
Wd ‘d have to pay for those items on mass market lines and their total bill would be more than the Oceania fare for the same cabin class!!! And then there’s O’s far superior food, service, space and crew ratios as well as the interesting and unusual long itineraries (1-2 months) that we prefer.

30 minutes ago, wcook said:

Even on the cheaper lines, you can have that all-included experience by paying in advance.

No, you can't....You still have to show them your card when you get your drinks or go to a specialty restaurant, for instance, to show to them you've paid in advance.   Showing them your cruise card is no different than showing them your credit card - you still have to give them "payment". 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Don’t know why you’re quoting me.

FWIW: We’ve done numerous true bottom line cost comparisons of various lines with Oceania (which includes what we want in the basic O Life fare and would have to pay extra for on mass market lines): Internet, beverages, gratuities, specialty restaurants, airfare credit and a choice of an included amenity group from tours, booze or SBC.
Wd ‘d have to pay for those items on mass market lines and their total bill would be more than the Oceania fare for the same cabin class!!! And then there’s O’s far superior food, service, space and crew ratios as well as the interesting and unusual long itineraries (1-2 months) that we prefer.

Flatbush is one of our most articulate and informative posters. But - speaking only for myself - when I price things out I find it much cheaper to book on a mass market line with extras compared to an ultra lux line where everything is included. I encourage everyone interested in such cruises to price things out for themselves. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

No, you can't....You still have to show them your card when you get your drinks or go to a specialty restaurant, for instance, to show to them you've paid in advance.   Showing them your cruise card is no different than showing them your credit card - you still have to give them "payment". 

And with enough of those “payments,” that cruise is no longer cheap. 👀

35 minutes ago, wcook said:

Flatbush is one of our most articulate and informative posters. But - speaking only for myself - when I price things out I find it much cheaper to book on a mass market line with extras compared to an ultra lux line where everything is included. I encourage everyone interested in such cruises to price things out for themselves. 

Thank for the nice words. 

Note that, where I am focused on value is in the premium segment and not on the luxury segment.

That said, remember that, on all-inclusive luxury lines, you get stuff you may not need nor want (e.g., booze, tours, et al.). On premium lines, you get what most folks would consider essentials such as beverages and internet. On a line like Oceania, you also get airfare but can take a credit which, on a transoceanic flight, can be a considerable chunk of change (that someone on a mass market cruise would have to pay out-if-pocket. 

Thus, I agree with “do the math” when it come to “quantity.” But, don’t forget that with premium (and luxury) lines, there’s also significantly better “quality” in everything from food to service to cabin amenities to crew and space to passenger ratios. 

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thank for the nice words. 

Note that, where I am focused on value is in the premium segment and not on the luxury segment.

That said, remember that, on all-inclusive luxury lines, you get stuff you may not need nor want (e.g., booze, tours, et al.). On premium lines, you get what most folks would consider essentials such as beverages and internet. On a line like Oceania, you also get airfare but can take a credit which, on a transoceanic flight, can be a considerable chunk of change (that someone on a mass market cruise would have to pay out-if-pocket. 

Thus, I agree with “do the math” when it come to “quantity.” But, don’t forget that with premium (and luxury) lines, there’s also significantly better “quality” in everything from food to service to cabin amenities to crew and space to passenger ratios. 

Everyone doesn't consider beverages and intetnet essential. In any case, you are still paying for it all in the cabin price. They aren't giving stuff away for free.

• Like 1

it is definitely a do the math moment.  My first concern is the itinerary and the size of the ship. Once I have it down to a few choices I will even go as far as doing a dummy booking with a courtesy hold so I can thoroughly compare costs and more importantly time in port. I really don’t like cruises that spend short times in port.  

if it is amenities your are seeking that is a different question from costs. 

Finally I agree about the hawking and sales pitches. I quit sailing Princess after a cruise where we were constantly accosted with “opportunities “

15 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

it is definitely a do the math moment.  My first concern is the itinerary and the size of the ship. Once I have it down to a few choices I will even go as far as doing a dummy booking with a courtesy hold so I can thoroughly compare costs and more importantly time in port. I really don’t like cruises that spend short times in port.  

if it is amenities your are seeking that is a different question from costs. 

Finally I agree about the hawking and sales pitches. I quit sailing Princess after a cruise where we were constantly accosted with “opportunities “

The worst sales pitch forced on us was actually not on the ship, but on a HAL excursion in Turkey where we were not told we would be taken to a rug factory.

DW did buy (not in the rug factory, a holder for her glasses for 1 Euro on that excursion. At one point at home, someone admired it and asked where she had bought it. And I guess the reply "Turkey" did not help them if they were looking to buy one for themselves. 😊

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

that cruise is no longer cheap

Yes - as I said, for those making a strictly financial decision - looking for the cheapest option - it's easy to make a choice.  But I'm not sure why you put that as a response to a post of mine - "cheap" is not a word that I even consider when I look for a cruise. 

For me, the cost or even the amenities aren't as important as the experience, and the "all-inclusive" experience is very different, IMO, than the experience on mass-market lines where passengers may or may not have pre-paid some things, and where extra tipping of staff, in cash, is common. 

YMMV.

8 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. To me it's incredibly different. If I've paid in advance, I know that my payment is done and I can get as much as I want without an extra nickel on my credit card bill. So I have to show them a card, big deal. That's hugely different than having to give your credit card each time you get a drink, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The worst sales pitch forced on us was actually not on the ship, but on a HAL excursion in Turkey where we were not told we would be taken to a rug factory.

DW did buy (not in the rug factory, a holder for her glasses for 1 Euro on that excursion. At one point at home, someone admired it and asked where she had bought it. And I guess the reply "Turkey" did not help them if they were looking to buy one for themselves. 😊

I truly dislike those stops on shore excursions.  I usually leave bad reviews if they do so.  One of my high grade skills is shopping, I don’t need any help😉

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Yes - as I said, for those making a strictly financial decision - looking for the cheapest option - it's easy to make a choice. ....

“The cheapest option.”  
Therein lies one of the major reasons why the quality of many mass market lines has declined so noticeably (so much so that some have created a “ship within a ship” concept to offer an alternative to their new standard of low quality everything, overcrowding, etc.)