Straws

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm boarding Ovation this week and was wondering what kind of straws are currently being used on board.  I despise those paper straws but was sure that I had read somewhere here on CC that they had changed to some sort biodegradable plastic straw that didn't disintegrate in your mouth before you could finish your drink.  

Should I bring straws or will I be fine.

The kind of straws they're talking about are plastic, but have a different texture and are more translucent than transparent.

There's a coffee shop a block from me that favors them.

I’m from Canada, if that makes a difference.  My most favourite drink is Strawberry Frutopia which I buy at McDonalds. They supply a paper straw, and I do buy the large sized drink. That straw is as good at the end as it was at the beginning. I might go into the restaurant and pick up a few extra for my upcoming cruise, wink wink.  You might want to check them out as a comparison.

• Like 1

Last 3 ships I have been on recently — Anthem, Oasis, and Enchantment — all had the new biodegradable straws.  They were great.  True story — my first trip back on Oasis I met up with a passenger with whom I had sailed on Grandeur.  His first words — I remember you and your sister bringing your own straws! 🍹🥤

13 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

The straws are no big deal to me.  What I do miss are the plastic swizzle sticks!  It's a good thing I still have a bunch of them...I can still make more earrings...:classic_tongue:

972497777_SwizzleStickearrings.thumb.jpg.5395a9eab3497d4700b8442c502a2850.jpg

Someone gave us these earrings (without the pearls) during a Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle a few years ago.  I wear them on every cruise and get so many comments.

42 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Please post a video of you drinking a Frappe without a straw.  I need a little morning entertainment.  🙂

If a straw doesn't work, a spoon does.  

I'm one that never uses a straw.  Well, I use one to stir in my sweetener into my ice tea as most restaurants don't provide those long tea spoons anymore.  

12 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Someone gave us these earrings (without the pearls) during a Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle a few years ago.  I wear them on every cruise and get so many comments.

We are in the pearl business, so I always make them with pearls, and always took a pair for an M&M door prize back in the old days.  I also used them to tip the bar staff (with wives/girlfriends) in the DL, thus guaranteeing me a good supply of swizzle sticks - haha!

The new brand of biodegradable straws onboard are "StrawFish" and they work great. I always prefer a straw and had no trouble getting this new brand recently onboard that last few ships I've been on even including Jewel out of Amsterdam.

5 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

For some us old enough to remember, are they like Paper Straws that we'd get in Kindergarten? Three sucks on them in our Milk Cartons and Soaked/Flattened  

But then we used to chew on them - LOL.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Or perhaps it was the 10 vodka tonics she had in her mason-jar style drinking glass that was the real culprit. Folks, don't mix! 😉