Does the CD make a difference?

When we were younger? Absolutely they made a difference. Our first few cruises we basically followed the CD around for party time. It doesnt matter anymore to us though. I will say it is amazing the energy CD's have. They bounce all over the place all day long. The really good ones you have no idea if they even sleep at all.

47 minutes ago, George C said:

No

I have to disagree. Cruise Critic even did a write up (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2974) I think any cruise would be boring without a person making sure that events were scheduled across the venues of the ships and that the appropriate staffing was assigned and prepared to host the activity. I think most folks only see the cruise director at the shows in the evening and think they don't do anything all day, when in reality these folks are in charge of a vast number of staff and events throughout the day.

• Like 1

If you choose to engage in many of the activities the CD is running, then yeah, a good CD is worth their weight in gold. 

And even if you aren’t playing the Quest or going to the parties, the CD has their hand in so many other things. Heck I just liked hearing some of their updates and watching their goofy videos.

A fun, committed CD is invaluable.

• Like 1

Seems like the really good ones retire or go to corporate. I think the good ones create an atmosphere with their activities staff that is engaging. It definitely enhances the experience. The bad ones…. Well are just dull and unimaginative. On a two week Hawaii cruise our cruise director Kirk Did a 1 hour gym class each day and even taught us a hula dance called the Hookilau. That was 15 years ago and I still remember his name. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, notscb said:

I have to disagree. Cruise Critic even did a write up (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2974) I think any cruise would be boring without a person making sure that events were scheduled across the venues of the ships and that the appropriate staffing was assigned and prepared to host the activity. I think most folks only see the cruise director at the shows in the evening and think they don't do anything all day, when in reality these folks are in charge of a vast number of staff and events throughout the day.

I agree. I think most people only see the CD in terms of how entertaining they are when introducing other acts or when hosting a show. They do a LOT of other things that impact the cruise experience. 

• Like 1

I couldn't tell you one CD from another, on Royal.  When I was Loyal to Carnival, I'd follow John Heald on his YouTube channel, only for information purposes.  But, as far as the regular CDs, they didn't make a difference to me.  I understand that a CD has many responsibilities, to include emergency response and public announcements during emergencies .  But, I have never gone to an event because of who a CD was/is.  

I don't think it takes a "public personality" to be a CD.  They can do most/all of their duties behind the scenes and I, for one, wouldn't notice.  A few of the best/fun filled events I've been to were hosted by the none-CD types.  Could have been CDs assistants or CDs in training, I don't know. 

I've just never been a big follower or fan of the wannabe celebrities or celebrity types.  

None of this is intended to cast aspersions on those that do follow or appreciate CDs.  I just don't.  That's me!

• Like 1

I've often wondered about this.  I often see ;posts wondering who is the CD on this or that ship/sailing.  I've never understood why it mattered.  I know for me I really don't care.  Never met one that wasn't essentially the same as all the others.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jalves said:

I've often wondered about this.  I often see ;posts wondering who is the CD on this or that ship/sailing.  I've never understood why it mattered.  I know for me I really don't care.  Never met one that wasn't essentially the same as all the others.  

Well said, agree 100%.   A few arguments above claim the CD is important for all the entertainment planning and coordination.  There is no debate that is true but they all seem to be equally qualified in that area

• Like 1

13 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

I have been on quite a few cruises. I remember maybe three of the cruise directors.

Does the CD make a difference in your cruise experience?

I know some have quite a following but to us, it makes no impact on our experience.

Yes, definitely for me.  The ones with the most memorable and fun cruise directors (my favorites were Richard Spacey and Marc "bing bong" Walker)  definitely make a difference for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

I have been on quite a few cruises. I remember maybe three of the cruise directors.

Does the CD make a difference in your cruise experience?

I know some have quite a following but to us, it makes no impact on our experience.

We had a great cruise Director that made the cruise more enjoyable .We also had cruises where the only time we saw the CD was on night number 1 and the last night of two week cruises.

The only place where a CD really affects my cruise experience is the Love & Marriage gameshow. You really need this show to be in capable hands, and urge the contestants to elaborate on their answers. a CD can make or break this show!

Edited by robmtx
  • Like 2

I couldnt tell you the name of any cruise director , does not make a difference to me. 

Same as the captain , as long as he can steer the ship and park it , thats good enough for me. ( as long as he doesnt pull a Schettino 🤣 )

Same for the servers , i dont care which one tends to me, i like them all .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, notscb said:

yes but they all do those things, and normally it doesnt matter who has done it for the most part 🙂