New York Port of Call

cruisethirsty

I know that Princess usually embarks and disembarks from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. However, I am taking a Princess cruise that has New York City as a port of call. Does anyone know if they then use the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. It seems to me that Brooklyn would be rather inconvenient as a port of call since public transportation isn't very good at that loction.

• Thanks 1

Technically New York City is composed of 5 boroughs - Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx, so Princess (or anyone else) can claim they are leaving from NYC and be leaving from any of the 5 boroughs and they don't even need the parenthesis like  New York area  (Bayonne) to note that the port is technically somewhere else. The port of Bayonne is about 15 miles from  Manhattan but technically in NJ, so that has to be listed as the NYC area.   I'm not certain about your sailing - perhaps if you give us more details someone will be able to look it up.

Edited by kitkat343

Guessing this is the world cruise on the Coral. You will have to wait until the port date is closer. This has always been a sore spot with me. Princess does book piers well in advance and they should know where they are docking in NYC. Their customers should not have to ask this simple question in cruise critic. Just not good customer service.

Princess site for Coral world says

The Manhattan cruise port is located just west of Hell’s Kitchen, an eclectic neighborhood near Times Square. Not only a convenient departure port, New York City is an excellent option for those craving the fast pace of city life. Seemingly endless options are just a subway or yellow taxi ride away!

However it appears the Hell's kitchen has amalgamated with Chelsea flea and is only open weekends we are there Wed and Thursday so no good for us

Edited by windsor26

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Normally for ports of calls the ships dock in Manhattan.

Caribbean Princess--October 30, 2022--New York (port of call), Brooklyn--Red Hook Pier.

If it is Red Hook, the ship docks next to a ferry dock.  A short ride to lower Manhattan.  The ferry goes to Pier 11/Wall Street Pier.

Thanks to all who replied. It does seem that Manhattan will be the dock but I'll just have to wait and see. Not that it's a disaster if it's Brooklyn (I used to live there!), just more time spent in getting to places. I agree with Skynight that Princess shouldn't make such a big secret about this. Of course, if you call them, they give you the old Sgt. Schulz reply---"I know nothing".

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Princess site for Coral world says

The Manhattan cruise port is located just west of Hell’s Kitchen, an eclectic neighborhood near Times Square. Not only a convenient departure port, New York City is an excellent option for those craving the fast pace of city life. Seemingly endless options are just a subway or yellow taxi ride away!

However it appears the Hell's kitchen has amalgamated with Chelsea flea and is only open weekends we are there Wed and Thursday so no good for us

To clarify, Hell's Kitchen is a neighborhood in Manhattan near the cruise terminal.

I think in the second paragraph the poster is referring to the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, which I believe is now closed. The Chelsea Flea market is, however, a NYC institution. 🙂

6 hours ago, cruisethirsty said:

I know that Princess usually embarks and disembarks from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. However, I am taking a Princess cruise that has New York City as a port of call. Does anyone know if they then use the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. It seems to me that Brooklyn would be rather inconvenient as a port of call since public transportation isn't very good at that loction.

What’s in port shows schedule for 2022—

Enchanted, Sky, Caribbean all at Brooklyn.

Coral was at Manhattan in July 2022

when is your cruise?

what ship?

5 hours ago, KreinKrunker said:

Caribbean Princess--October 30, 2022--New York (port of call), Brooklyn--Red Hook Pier.

If it is Red Hook, the ship docks next to a ferry dock.  A short ride to lower Manhattan.  The ferry goes to Pier 11/Wall Street Pier.

Cruisethirsty - We had a port of call here on Caribbean Princess in July. The ferry experience wasn’t ideal. Over an hour wait in the morning and some passengers waited 2+ hours in the afternoon to return.

13 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

Cruisethirsty - We had a port of call here on Caribbean Princess in July. The ferry experience wasn’t ideal. Over an hour wait in the morning and some passengers waited 2+ hours in the afternoon to return.

We take a cab from the Brooklyn Pier to the nearest subway station and then use the subway to get to where we want to be in Manhattan (or elsewhere).

Returning to the ship we take the subway back to the stop we used in the morning and take a cab back to the ship. Main problem is hailing that cab after getting out of the subway station. Uber might be easier.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

We take a cab from the Brooklyn Pier to the nearest subway station and then use the subway to get to where we want to be in Manhattan (or elsewhere).

Returning to the ship we take the subway back to the stop we used in the morning and take a cab back to the ship. Main problem is hailing that cab after getting out of the subway station. Uber might be easier.

That sounds a better option than the chaos of the ferry. I’ll remember that for the next time!

10 hours ago, san diego sue said:

We have had New York as port of call several times and it always docked in Brooklyn. Wish it would have been New York City.

Brooklyn is part of New York City. As is Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, and "da Bronx".

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The OP specifically mentioned NYC as a port of call, not embark/disembark.

Believe the poster is on a Coral Princess world cruise which stops in New York. When in New York it disembarks and embarks passengers for the next segments. The Coral Princess is the only ship and itinerary I can find that has NYC as a port of call.

No matter. Princess has to book pier assignments well in advance of arrival. Princess does know where the ship will dock. They don't just pull into New York Harbor and ask should we sail up the Hudson or go over to Brooklyn? Why not just tell their customers where they will dock?  There is no reasonable explanation why Princess continues to confuse its customers with Brooklyn or Manhattan. This is just poor service which has been going on for decades. It is time for Princess to correct this simple issue which they created. Excellent customer service is a stack of little excellent service details. Princess has failed with this  very simple detail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Believe the poster is on a Coral Princess world cruise which stops in New York. When in New York it disembarks and embarks passengers for the next segments. The Coral Princess is the only ship and itinerary I can find that has NYC as a port of call.

I am booked on a Canada / New England repositioning cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale on the Caribbean Princess in October this year. "New York City (manhattan Or Brooklyn), New York" is listed as a port of call (not embarkation or disembarkation) for this cruise on Sunday, October 30th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

I am booked on a Canada / New England repositioning cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale on the Caribbean Princess in October this year. "New York City (manhattan Or Brooklyn), New York" is listed as a port of call (not embarkation or disembarkation) for this cruise on Sunday, October 30th.

Yes, missed that one. No embarkation allowed. In any case there is no excuse for Princess not informing their customers which pier they will use. Certainly they know.

Edited by skynight

9 hours ago, caribill said:

To expand on what Caribill said about hailing a cab.  When we were there you could not call on your cell phone to request a cab.  You had to find one parked at a cab rank at a major hotel or business.  Other then that you would have to stand on the edge of the street waving you arm around like you were trying to get up to flight speed as cabs drove past.    Or...Like John Wick hold up a gold coin. 

Bob

3 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

To expand on what Caribill said about hailing a cab.  When we were there you could not call on your cell phone to request a cab.  You had to find one parked at a cab rank at a major hotel or business.  Other then that you would have to stand on the edge of the street waving you arm around like you were trying to get up to flight speed as cabs drove past.   

And to expand more, know how to give directions to the cab driver for getting to the pier. They may pretend not to know as a way of rejecting the ride.

Also, it helps to get into the cab before telling the driver you are going to the cruise terminal. By law, they must take you where you want to go. It is harder for them to claim they cannot do it if you are inside the cab instead of standing outside.

• Like 1