Allure OTS - relaxed dress code expectations...

bgoff60

40 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Just like we did before the app was an option.

Easy, ask. Two options. Cabin attendant, GS. 

Pre cruise, CC.

Sure, and I guess my point was to the original comment that formal night is "wear whatever you want night." It's become that way because RCL and other lines have pushed people to their apps but haven't moved all of the content over with it, so how does one have an expectation of a formal night without it being communicated across the promoted channels?

FWIW, if I were any old customer, I wouldn't want to read both the app (which has a ton of info in it) and a cruise compass. It's too much info.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, notscb said:

Sure, and I guess my point was to the original comment that formal night is "wear whatever you want night." It's become that way because RCL and other lines have pushed people to their apps but haven't moved all of the content over with it, so how does one have an expectation of a formal night without it being communicated across the promoted channels?

FWIW, if I were any old customer, I wouldn't want to read both the app (which has a ton of info in it) and a cruise compass. It's too much info.

Age has nothing to do with using the app or not!  It's an optional tool. 

Another excellent resource:   https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

Edited by davekathy

18 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Age has nothing to do with using the app or not!

I didn't say age had anything to do with the app, I was saying that RCL is strongly encouraging their app over their cruse compass to convey information to the masses (as evidenced by the cruise compass no longer being sent to each stateroom).

If the app is the  new way of things for RCL, and they want folks to dress a certain way, that would also need to be communicated in the app and the cruise compass for folks using both. In my experience, it wasn't communicated on the app and I was surprised when I arrived for dinner and some people were wearing formal wear.

edit: i just want to point out that I'm saying and and not "but." If folks want a formal night, it needs to be communicated in both places, as RCL is encouraging folks toward the app and away from the cruise compass.

Edited by notscb
wording

On day 3 of the Allure right now. Tonight is formal night and

I expect as in past cruises there will be a few tuxedos, some

suits and ties, probably more polo shirts and dockers and yes

always some t-shirts and shorts. We have been on eight cruises

this year and have never seen anyone not admitted to the

MDR for dress code violations. The times they are a changing….

I just hope they are wearing their “best” T-shirt for formal night

39 minutes ago, davekathy said:

FWIW, if I were any old customer, I wouldn't want to read...

I took that statement as age based. Not cruised with RC a lot before the introduction of the app. The app is nice but not required. Since this upsets you, did you annotate your displeasure with the app on your PCS? 

What cruise line lists the evening dress code for the MDR in their app? I know Celebrity doesn't. I don't limit myself just to the app.

The Cruise Compass is still being sent to the cabins. We did a March B2B cruise on the Explorer and it was delivered every evening on both legs. If anyone wants the CC and aren't receiving it, just ask.

Edited by davekathy

I usually take a sport coat ....because

1. My wife and I like to dress "up" a little once in awhile while on vacation.

2. sometimes it gets chilly in the dining room and it a way to keep off the chill.

There are times when I don't wear it but I usually take it.

13 hours ago, notscb said:

In all fairness, when I was on Freedom a few months ago now the app never indicated what kind of "night" it was when I clicked on and looked at the MDR in the app. I wondered how people figured it out, and as someone who is tech savvy never really saw it in the app. (In all fairness, I wasn't really looking for it, but would have noticed it)

I'm going on the Allure this weekend and someone in our Faces group mentioned that the theme for each night is on the app, always listed at 5PM.  If it hadn't been for that, I would have never known which night was which either.  So, it's possible that it was listed in the app for your sailing but you just missed it (which I would have as well).

9 minutes ago, TechDiva said:

So, it's possible that it was listed in the app for your sailing but you just missed it (which I would have as well).

Yeah, It's entirely possible. There's a ton of information on the app and if I were looking for events to plan out my night with I could have easily missed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

This topic of conversation has been going on for a decade now......and beaten down so much, and the answer is still the same.  Dress like an adult, or dress, like a teenager coming from the beach.  It's your vacation, so do what you want.....which is now part of the new generation of cruisers.

It's been going on since I joined in 2001 and sure before that and will continue in the future. I asked my Magic 8 Ball and it said, "yes definitely". 🎱

2 hours ago, notscb said:

it wasn't communicated on the app

Many folks ignore/miss the blue link toward the bottom of the app (just below the Daily planner link and just above the links to Safety, Health, Dining, etc) - that lists the dress code for the night.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:17 PM, bgoff60 said:

Not to fire back up the holy-wars...and I AM asking for a friend... but...

They said they "heard" that the expectations for a sport or better for formal nights has pretty much been forgotten.  Me personally, usually take a blazer and were according to the night or whim.  

Question:  Has anyone seen anything to support or deny this 'observation'?  

My husband wears slacks and a Tommy Bahama button up shirt with nice sandals.  We used to dress to the max, but not anymore.

I used to enjoy dressing up in my tux a couple nights on a cruise. I did. But two things have all but killed formal night:

1) The airlines started charging for checked baggage and usurious penalties for > 50 lbs.

2) My Time dining and a trend towards “table for two.” Back in the day when you shared an eight top with the same folks every dinner, there was an incentive to dress to impress so that Moselle and Roger from Louisville, Fred and Warren from NYC, and Doris and Ray from the UK could see that you actually wash up pretty good. 

The bottom line is to wear what you want to wear (within reason) despite the dress suggestion, and don’t give a rat’s tail what anyone else thinks about it. 

• Like 1

I took a blue blazer for a recent cruise on the Voyager; it was in Europe, and sailings from those ports tend to have a higher percentage of British and European passengers who are more likely to dress up. I would say that more than half of women passengers dressed specially for those nights, fewer than half of men, and some men appeared to dress down on the formal nights (ball cap worn backwards, for example).

DH is so happy that Formal Night is no more.  On our first Celebrity cruise, in 1993, he took 2 sport coats and a suit with dress shirts and ties. Our luggage weighed just under 75 lbs!  

This last one on Symphony,  button down shirt and Dockers was as dressed as he got.  I keep to black dress slacks and different tops.  On dress up night, I might wear rhinestone earrings.

• Like 1

It's yet another argument for printed cruise compass for everyone. I think the information is much more clear about everything and you can't miss it because it's in your face and on your bed everyday. (Also, it's less stress on the eyes compared to what im doing right now) I know it's available if you ask. But I can see how people might not know about a lot of common things like the nights theme etc, because they didn't go to the app that day. You can't miss the things on the front page when it's in your face each day.

Note: I plan on NOT being chained to my phone all week. Lol.

• Like 2

My son & granddaughter were on their first cruise in June & they didn't receive a Cruise Compass.  I was next door with a Diamond status & received the Compass.  They didn't know to ask & I would talk about events & they were like ""where did you see that".  I did ask our steward to deliver to their cabin also.  

On 9/12/2022 at 5:07 PM, OddHack said:

On our last Navigator cruise, we found that one side effect of not distributing printed Cruise Compasses is that many people will be unaware that it even is "dress your best" night -- we went looking through the app for that and it's there, but it's buried.  So between the people who don't know it's formal night, and those who know but don't care, we didn't see a lot of people dressed up.

Just wear something "nice" -- whatever that means to you.

That's funny, because on a 3 night (weekend) cruise on the Navigator in May, people REALLY dressed up.   Major glitz and glitter, high heels, bling.  And that was just the women.  😉  

They really seemed to be determined to really make the most of their short cruise,  including dressing to the max. 

🙂 

59 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

That's funny, because on a 3 night (weekend) cruise on the Navigator in May, people REALLY dressed up.   Major glitz and glitter, high heels, bling.  And that was just the women.  😉  

They really seemed to be determined to really make the most of their short cruise,  including dressing to the max. 

🙂 

But most just don't. And they are determined to make the most out of it in there own way.

Edited by CanHardlyWait4NextYear
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 2:05 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

The bottom line is there is no longer an enforced dress code for the MDR no matter what the dress code is for that night. 

Our experience is that isn't always correct for non Florida departing cruises.

The cruise compass actually said no shorts in the MDR on our May Anthem cruise in the UK and I actually saw people turned away in them.

It wasn't that long ago on an Royal Asian cruise that we wouldn't have got anywhere near the MDR on formal night if you weren't formal and our Dubai cruise with Royal a few years ago people were wearing tuxedo's even in the Windjammer and it was formal in the MDR every night even when the cruise planner said casual.

I'm not fussed either way with dress but there is no consistency from Royal, maybe because they tailor the 'rules' for want of a better word to the local demographic and their expectations.

I will say more dressed up on our cruises since restart than were doing it just before shutdown.  We saw a lot more tuxes and long dresses with heels on the 5 we've been on since Nov.  I think people who have been cruising a long time are more likely to dress up than newbies.  DH and I have gone more middle of the road.   I wear a dress and he usually wears a sport coat and tie.  

Most, not all people still dress.  Not necessarily a tux and gown, but more cocktail, party attire.  Some people wear the same (smelly) clothes most of the week- just bring comfortable, clean clothes-   We enjoy dressing up.  Helps celebrate the fact that we can cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

1 hour ago, Tin can said:

Our experience is that isn't always correct for non Florida departing cruises.

The cruise compass actually said no shorts in the MDR on our May Anthem cruise in the UK and I actually saw people turned away in them.

It wasn't that long ago on an Royal Asian cruise that we wouldn't have got anywhere near the MDR on formal night if you weren't formal and our Dubai cruise with Royal a few years ago people were wearing tuxedo's even in the Windjammer and it was formal in the MDR every night even when the cruise planner said casual.

I'm not fussed either way with dress but there is no consistency from Royal, maybe because they tailor the 'rules' for want of a better word to the local demographic and their expectations.

I think most of the comments in this thread, including mine, were referring to cruises departing from US ports. But you bring up a good point that the rules are often different (or enforced differently) when you are cruising from a foreign port. 

• Like 1