Quantum & Ovation Plus - 30 Day Live (hopefully)

On 9/15/2022 at 1:34 PM, bobmacliberty said:

The worst part of the trip, packing, is complete.  As least I think it is.  We don't leave for the airport until early tomorrow morning and a lot can change between now and then. 🙄

staring-at-big-closet.jpeg.c0935b17314c2b0bd71cbe798eebcdbb.jpeg

The challenge is packing clothes for potentially cold and wet conditions in Seattle, Alaska, Vancouver, while also packing for potentially hot and sunny weather on the cruise to Hawaii and on Kauai.  We plan to do laundry someplace for the basics like underwear and t-shirts.  We'll see if there is laundry available at the hotel in Vancouver (conflicting reports online).  Otherwise, we'll take advantage of the Diamond+ benefit of one bag of laundry.  I've been warned not to trust anything more than underwear and t-shirts to the industrial laundry process on the ship, but hopefully that's all we'll need.

I started packing for our Quantum sailing Oct. 3.  I have a similar shoe pile that I have to edit.  can't wait to read your adventures.  We are also staying in Vancouver 3 days prior to sailing.  

Good meal tonight in Coastal Kitchen. We both ordered the filet, me medium/rare and Micheline medium. Both were cooked perfectly. Micheline asked for no salt, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t (like it’s an insult to a chef to ask them not to use salt). The didn’t add any salt to her meal and she said it tasted great. I had the crème brûlée for dessert, which is usually a test for Royal. It can range from runny to over cooked. It was also perfect. 

Plate slightly rearranged before I remembered to take a picture. 
CAB2F817-3C57-44A8-B44E-777AD29F3A91.thumb.jpeg.485560b53b64ffb652168aee8dac3a07.jpeg

• Like 13

13 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

John - we just met Margaarette in CK. She seems like a great lady. I told her that you said hi. She was touched and wanted me to say hi back to you. 

She is a great lady and will make sure you are very well taken care of while there. If you want/need something just ask her.

Our primary waiter left the ship for his vacation when we did but Rupash and Bikash should still be there and are excellent.

P.S.  The hamburger and spaghetti with meat sauce from the kids menu are both great lunch choices. You have to try the banana split from the kids menu as well. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

Numbers from the Top Tier event. Total C&A onboard is 1762:

Gold - 1008

Platinum - 253

Emerald - 128

Diamond - 226

D+ - 160

Pinnacle - 31

Top cruisers (probably spelled wrong so apologies if it’s you or you know them):

Angel Perez-Guillermo - 1915 points

Rafel Sanchez - 1884 points

Mr and Mrs Mostella - 1507 points

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I'm guessing the snow caps are gone from the mountain tops this time of the year. 

Not sure yet about the Alaska peaks but there was still snow on Mt Baker in Washington as we passed it leaving Seattle. Guessing it has snow year round. 

• Thanks 1

We are sailing In a junior suite this week, specifically a category J4. It’s been a while since we’ve sailed in a JS…I think Oasis in 2018 was the last time. I want to compare an Oasis class JS (from memory) with a Quantum class JS.

The layout of the two cabins is very different. The Quantum JS seems to be squarer in shape. What we like better about the Quantum JS:

* split bathrooms. Very nice having a small water closet with toilet and sink, plus a separate larger bath with sink tub and shower. 

* Deeper balcony with enough room to face the ocean while sitting in an upright chair with an ottoman for your feet. I seem to remember having 2 loungers positioned sideways on the Oasis JS. 

* Lots of drawer space for storage. 

What we don’t like about the Quantum JS:

* There’s no real couch. There’s sort of a 2 person platform in the corner with not much cushioning for your back or your bottom. 

* The desk has no drawers. This is a big deal for Micheline since this is her prep space for hair and makeup. She has to keep all of her beauty implements stored separately. 

* There’s no walk-in closet. There’s enough hanging space so not a huge deal. 

* The split bathroom idea is nice but each separate area is small with almost no counter top space.   There’s also no trash can (or really room for one) in the shower/tub side. 

If I had to choose, I’d probably take the Oasis class JS. The Quantum JS is very space efficient, but the lack of a comfortable sitting area is the deal breaker for me, and the lack of desk storage is the big deal breaker for Micheline. 

We’ve been in a CLS the last couple of times we’ve sailed and once you’ve done that, a JS just doesn’t measure up.  That’s probably influencing our opinion of our current cabin. We’re in a GS on Ovation next week so it will be interesting to compare them as well.

Edit: Sorry for the large font. Wrote this using the Notes app and then cut/paste. 

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Following.

Wow what a nice trip you have planned.

Wishing you all a wonderful vacations.

Looking forward to your blog, specially 

the one going to Hawaii,

Very interested in doing this itinerary someday.

Thank you for taking your time to do this.

Love all your photos.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We are sailing In a junior suite this week

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience.   We usually book OVB but was able to upgrade to a GS a couple times when numbers were down.  It was spoiling us.  Made it back to OVB on Ovation.   I am highly considering a JRS on an Oasis class ship when the new itineraries come out.  It was nice to see that you were able to eat dinner at CK.  We enjoyed breakfast and lunch there so we would miss that.  Are you able to use the Suite Concierge service.   It was nice to set up shows and reservations with them.  I have never thought to use the Diamond Concierge. 

Edited by Ozark_Kid
Use the notes app is a good idea when using ship internet.
  • Like 1

Just now, Sunny Pearl said:

IO! Go Bucks!

Thanks for posting your cruises.  My Sister-in-Laws are going to be on your Ovation cruise.

They are excited and I'm more than happy to share any info that will help make their cruise more exciting.

Sunny, in Jacksonville, Fl

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience.   We usually book OVB but was able to upgrade to a GS a couple times when numbers were down.  It was spoiling us.  Made it back to OVB on Ovation.   I am highly considering a JRS on an Oasis class ship when the new itineraries come out.  It was nice to see that you were able to eat dinner at CK.  We enjoyed breakfast and lunch there so we would miss that.  Are you able to use the Suite Concierge service.   It was nice to set up shows and reservations with them.  I have never thought to use the Diamond Concierge. 

We really enjoyed the JS we just had on Oasis.   I loved the walk in closet.  The balcony had a full size round table with 2 chairs then our sit up loungers with ottomans.  Eric spent a lot of time on the balcony.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

A JS doesn’t get the use of the suite concierge. I’ve never used the Diamond concierge so I don’t know if that’s an option for you. We don’t have access to CK for breakfast and lunch in a JS…just dinner if space is available. That’s not a

problem this week and we’ll probably eat there every night, other than one night in Izumi. We do miss breakfast and lunch there. 

We like the CK on this class of ship. It’s different not having the SL and CK in the same space.  CK seems quite a bit bigger, and doesn’t seem full at all. Good for us as it allows for a to eat there every night. Food also seems a little better, at least so far. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from Ketchikan, Alaska!  Today, we will be taking the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s Tour, aboard the Aleutian Ballad. This is one of the boats from the TV show Dangerous Catch that nearly capsized. The ship has been retrofitted for tourist use. They will show us everything involved with crab fishing, but from much calmer waters. 

4D86C693-3B73-4131-A82B-2A5D6CE03BE0.thumb.jpeg.654bc72a3ded7c30b06000b4330f6a38.jpeg

• Like 18

41 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Good morning from Ketchikan, Alaska!  Today, we will be taking the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s Tour, aboard the Aleutian Ballad. This is one of the boats from the TV show Dangerous Catch that nearly capsized. The ship has been retrofitted for tourist use. They will show us everything involved with crab fishing, but from much calmer waters. 

4D86C693-3B73-4131-A82B-2A5D6CE03BE0.thumb.jpeg.654bc72a3ded7c30b06000b4330f6a38.jpeg

Looks like a beautiful day there.  Can’t wait to hear about your excursion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We LOVED that excursion, especially the eagles. Hope you enjoy!!

• Like 1