What’s going on with main dining on Allure?

Dan83

We are currently on Allure, finishing up an 8 day. Main dining has been a little different experience than we’re used to. We have always enjoyed the main dining room experience, this is cruise #8 on Royal. I kinda like that it’s slower paced, but this time, it’s really really slow paced. 2 plus hours each night. Seated at 5:15 and I don’t think we’ve had an appetizer before 6 pm any night this week. I’m thinking short staffed maybe. Our server is working at least 10 tables that we counted. Plus I think she’s working a couple more tables in the next room.  I think she’s doing a good  job for the workload assigned to her. Food is still good and coming out hot. But it’s just too slow paced.  Next cruise we may switch to windjammer. 

Question, is it possible that cabin category affects seating in the MDR?  We’ve had a suite the previous 2 cruises and had very experienced wait staff and very attentive service. Currently in an inside, and noticeably different service. Coincidence?  

Also, my time dining appears to be a mess. Each night as we’re leaving, lines have been backed up to elevators or further. For reservations and without, both lines are about the same. I’d recommend traditional dining if you are considering my time. 

1 hour ago, Dan83 said:

Also, my time dining appears to be a mess. Each night as we’re leaving, lines have been backed up to elevators or further. For reservations and without, both lines are about the same. I’d recommend traditional dining if you are considering my time. 

We were on Allure two weeks ago and, indeed, MTD was a mess.  Lines whenever we arrived.  The speed of service, however, was fine but our waiter didn't have anywhere near the amount of tables you mentioned.

Not a problem on my September 3rd sail.  as a matter of fact, there were lots of empty seats at the 5:15 seating in the Grande (4th deck) restaurant.  This was almost every night and including lobster night.

My table was for 6, but only 2 others seated.  We were out by 6:30 and would have been faster as my tablemates were usually some 15-20 minutes later than the assigned time.

4 minutes ago, yogimax said:

We were on Allure two weeks ago and, indeed, MTD was a mess.  Lines whenever we arrived.  The speed of service, however, was fine but our waiter didn't have anywhere near the amount of tables you mentioned.

I also had MTD on the last 2 cruises. The longest I had to wait was less than 10 minutes and that was just 1 time. The other times was just a few minutes. I think I was lucky when I showed up. There were times when I turned around and the line all of a sudden was out the door and one time almost to the elevators. I was very surprised. I would have gone to the WJ if I was stuck in one of those lines.

We have had MTD on few cruises earlier this year,,, but we had the hostess seat us in the same section or same table so that we had the same waiters. By night 2, they had our drinks being served shortly after being seated. And they served at the pace we requested (e.g., one night we told them we had a show and they served at a pace to meet our needs). We have had nothing but great experience at the MDR this year. 

Our most recent cruise was on the Quantum to Alaska where we had a suite and ate at CK. The service and food in the CK on the Quantum was absolutely horrible. We have eaten at CK on many ships, but this experience was totally unacceptable. And after talking to the restaurant manager, we figured out that she really didn't care. There were nights when we sent inedible food back to the galley. And nights when we snuck out the back door of the CK into the Windjammer to get "better food". 

Edited by BirdTravels

We had a similar experience on enchantment.  The head waiter came over and explained it had to do with new turnover.   They said it would take a few cruises for things to improve.  He was very honest about it.  We could tell our wait staff was slower and yet “trying to keep up”.  It helped to know this.  Made me want to cheer them on, but at the same time, it was frustrating taking almost 2 hours for dinner.

My take. Moved to Florida in my late 20's. Older folks here just seemed obsessed with eating around 5 PM was my main observation moving here. Many trying to save a buck or two on early bird specials at restaurants. I get it if you have younger children and want to dine earlier on a ship because of that.

We are now in our middle 50's and have always booked late traditional dining. We were on Allure for 20 nights since May and no complaints about a delay when food was brought out to us. Great service for us! Just thinking that maybe more folks should consider the late traditional dining option. You will not starve to death. Many options to get a snack before late  seating.

Edited by coaster

20 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I also had MTD on the last 2 cruises. The longest I had to wait was less than 10 minutes and that was just 1 time. The other times was just a few minutes. I think I was lucky when I showed up. There were times when I turned around and the line all of a sudden was out the door and one time almost to the elevators. I was very surprised. I would have gone to the WJ if I was stuck in one of those lines.

it was like that for us in June (reservations for MTD for 6:30), but we didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes, except for the first formal night - that one was a good 25-30 minutes.

The service was acceptably speedy, except for one waiter team, who was like molasses. I think a lot of waiters were out sick or just didn't exist, names on the table holders didn't match, and many different waiters took orders and brought out food.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Wondering if things on the Allure with MTD are any better or still long lines?  We sail on the Allure on 11/27 and will be our first cruise since early 2020.  I know I should remember but if we were to change to early or late traditional dining are there then 2 show times for the theater, aqua show, etc.?  For the most part we always did MTD but that is sounding like a cluster even with a reservation.  What times do they usually have the popular shows (I know it can change each cruise so just a rough estimate)?  Wha!t is your preferred dining time/style and why?  Thanks for any input!

On 9/24/2022 at 5:48 PM, BirdTravels said:

We have had MTD on few cruises earlier this year,,, but we had the hostess seat us in the same section or same table so that we had the same waiters. By night 2, they had our drinks being served shortly after being seated. And they served at the pace we requested (e.g., one night we told them we had a show and they served at a pace to meet our needs). We have had nothing but great experience at the MDR this year. 

Our most recent cruise was on the Quantum to Alaska where we had a suite and ate at CK. The service and food in the CK on the Quantum was absolutely horrible. We have eaten at CK on many ships, but this experience was totally unacceptable. And after talking to the restaurant manager, we figured out that she really didn't care. There were nights when we sent inedible food back to the galley. And nights when we snuck out the back door of the CK into the Windjammer to get "better food". 

Kind of late to the game but we were on Quantum Oct. 3 for a 10 night.  MDR, Windjammer and the Bistro had the worse food of any Royal sailing I have ever been on. Chop's and Jamie's were both fantastic. The only spot worse was 270, brown wilted salads and sandwiches out of the Panini make like rubber.  Crew however was a absolute 10. Had the best Negroni of my life from Vintages.

Edited by taglovestocruise

2 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Wondering if things on the Allure with MTD are any better or still long lines?  We sail on the Allure on 11/27 and will be our first cruise since early 2020.  I know I should remember but if we were to change to early or late traditional dining are there then 2 show times for the theater, aqua show, etc.?  For the most part we always did MTD but that is sounding like a cluster even with a reservation.  What times do they usually have the popular shows (I know it can change each cruise so just a rough estimate)?  Wha!t is your preferred dining time/style and why?  Thanks for any input!

I was on Allure last week - we had traditional @5:15pm and a table for two by the window on deck 3.  We had fantastic service and were out of the dining room by 7pm.  When we left there were l-o-n-g lines for MTD every night - one night winding around past the elevators.  While 5:15 is early for me, I was glad we weren't part of the mess outside of the dining room.

There were early and late shows most evenings, except for Mama Mia and the late night adult comedy shows.

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Kind of late to the game but we were on Quantum Oct. 3 for a 10 night.  MDR, Windjammer and the Bistro had the worse food of any Royal sailing I have ever been on. Chop's and Jamie's were both fantastic. The only spot worse was 270, brown wilted salads and sandwiches out of the Panini make like rubber.  Crew however was a absolute 10. Had the best Negroni of my life from Vintages.

I was on Allure 4 years ago and then again last week.  I thought the food was OK in the MDR, but not as good as I remembered from the past cruise.  My opinion of the the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch is that it's the Golden Corral OTS.  Boring selections with lukewarm to cold food that should be hot.  Desserts, with the exception of the bread pudding, are horrible, tasteless, and gelatin based. .

I wish I had passed on the buffet on Labadee - burgers were not hot and tasted like the meat had filler in them.

The Park Cafe was great.

On 9/25/2022 at 3:36 AM, coaster said:

My take. Moved to Florida in my late 20's. Older folks here just seemed obsessed with eating around 5 PM was my main observation moving here. Many trying to save a buck or two on early bird specials at restaurants. I get it if you have younger children and want to dine earlier on a ship because of that.

We are now in our middle 50's and have always booked late traditional dining. We were on Allure for 20 nights since May and no complaints about a delay when food was brought out to us. Great service for us! Just thinking that maybe more folks should consider the late traditional dining option. You will not starve to death. Many options to get a snack before late  seating.

We too have always had late traditional dinning  but in the Med that can be 8.30pm, so you don't finish eating till 10pm.   As we age we find eating too late gives us indigestion.  It's also not medically advised to eat too late for weight control and health. Older people often go to bed earlier so eating a heavy meal within a couple of hours if bed is also not recommended. 

Our preferred time is between 6.30 and 7pm. but you have to do MTD and book early to get those slots and it doesn't always fit in with the shows 

Edited by sgmn

12 hours ago, sgmn said:

We too have always had late traditional dinning  but in the Med that can be 8.30pm, so you don't finish eating till 10pm.   As we age we find eating too late gives us indigestion.  It's also not medically advised to eat too late for weight control and health. Older people often go to bed earlier so eating a heavy meal within a couple of hours if bed is also not recommended. 

Our preferred time is between 6.30 and 7pm. but you have to do MTD and book early to get those slots and it doesn't always fit in with the shows 

We also love late traditional large table, 2 hour meal is fine with us. Usually hit the 10 - 10:45 PM shows then use last few vouchers for just before midnight cocktails.  How old is older, wife is 67 and I am 72. A few weeks ago on Quantum we were in vintages at 11:45, Negroni for me and a Lavender Cucumber Martini for my wife. happy cruising.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

We also love late traditional large table, 2 hour meal is fine with us. Usually hit the 10 - 10:45 PM shows then use last few vouchers for just before midnight cocktails.  How old is older, wife is 67 and I am 72. A few weeks ago on Quantum we were in vintages at 11:45, Negroni for me and a Lavender Cucumber Martini for my wife. happy cruising.

I'll be the same as your DW next birthday. Love it when you get a big table that really gets on. We've closed down the dinning room on quite a few occasions