Sunscreen

We shall be on a circumnavigation tour of Australia in December/January.    First time visiting.   Is there a sunscreen that people really like that I can pickup in Sydney? We are in CBD. Thanks.

Think about using a daily face cream with sunscreen in it so that your eyes don’t sting in the humidity. Olay has one that you can pick up at chemists or Woolworths supermarket on George st. Another good option is Vaseline green body moisturiser with aloe Vera and sunscreen in it. Enjoy your vacay!

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

We shall be on a circumnavigation tour of Australia in December/January.    First time visiting.   Is there a sunscreen that people really like that I can pickup in Sydney? We are in CBD. Thanks.

Why not bring your favourite bottle/tube of sunscreen with you? 

Mrs F … My dermatologist recommends both 

Sunsense by Ego

Hamilton Sunscreen 

both can be purchased from a Pharmacy or Discount Pharmacy such as Chemist Warehouse.  I am sure there will be a Chemist Warehouse in the Sydney CBD.

cheers V

https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/beauty-and-personal-care/skin-care-and-cosmetics/articles/sunscreen-test#test

Worth a look especially in view of this quote.

"The US regulator, the Food and Drug Administration, recommends that samples of sunscreens with an SPF claim higher than 50 are tested at multiple laboratories using the same test method – something we'd like to see Australian manufacturers do."

46 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The sun is fierce during summer so I'd also recommend a broad brimmed hat and a rashie shirt if swimming or snokelling.

Please...what is a rashie shirt?

9 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Please...what is a rashie shirt?

I thought that comment would result in a question.🙂 A rashie shirt is a long sleeve shirt made of a lycra type fabric designed for swimming. They are sometimes used by adults and very often by children.

Buy an Australian sunscreen when you arrive, SPF 50.  They are made for our conditions.  You will find our sun very fierce compared to the northern hemisphere. Australians look at all those people lying for hours in bikinis on sunbeds around the pool and shudder. Do that here for any length of time, and your skin will suffer.

3 hours ago, Kangakid said:

Mrs F … My dermatologist recommends both 

Sunsense by Ego

Hamilton Sunscreen 

both can be purchased from a Pharmacy or Discount Pharmacy such as Chemist Warehouse.  I am sure there will be a Chemist Warehouse in the Sydney CBD.

cheers V

There are plenty of them in the CBD. They have a good range of sunscreens. We usually use the Cancer Council ones.

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There are plenty of them in the CBD. They have a good range of sunscreens. We usually use the Cancer Council ones.

I second the recommendation of the Cancer Council sunscreen - supermarkets carry them. You'll need one for swimming - a thick waterproof one - and one for everyday use when you're wearing day clothes. Always wear a hat and sunscreen and keep a refillable water bottle with you.

Mrs F

I also go with Cancer Council suncreen.

I am very fair and use this.

They also do a roll on that you can just put in a handbag if you are doing city sight seeing

If you are doing any swimming/snorkelling during the cruise, would also suggest swim shorts.

Especially good for back of upper leg

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 11:07 PM, MMDown Under said:

Don't bring spray cans as spray cans aren't allowed. 

I was wondering what exactly do you mean by this, we always bring spray cans of deodorant/sunscreen/shaving cream with us on holiday. Do you mean not allowed at all in Australia or are you referring to using spray cans of sunscreen because of (possible) damage to the coral/reef?

Rosalyn

4 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

I was wondering what exactly do you mean by this, we always bring spray cans of deodorant/sunscreen/shaving cream with us on holiday. Do you mean not allowed at all in Australia or are you referring to using spray cans of sunscreen because of (possible) damage to the coral/reef?

Rosalyn

I think the comment was referring to the aversion airlines have to having pressurised cans in the luggage hold. I doubt they would let them into the cabin either. You are so right that they are also very bad for the environment.

Sunscreen, if in a spray, tends in my experience to be a non-pressurised spray bottle - it's also not effective for our strong sun from what I've seen.