Nostalgic cruise traditions being phased out

Honolulu Blue

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

At Seattle's Pier 91 pre pandemic, there use to be a senior longshore guy standing on the dock that would pull out his saxophone and play as the ship sailed away.  Definitely cool to see/hear.

At La Rochelle on the Biscay coast there must have been a couple of hundred well-wishers waving us off (on a Celebrity sailing from Harwich, UK to Miami)- perhaps we were the last ship of the season, but there seemed to be three different bands/combos.  A great ancient and port - with the WWll Uboat pens still dominating the coast line.

• Thanks 1

Reading about chair hogs, jogged the old brain cells. I remember having reserved deck chairs, with our name on a small tag at the back of the chair. When selecting this option, I could request a general location and always had my dedicated deck stewart who knew my beverage preferences. The last cruise line to offer with was Home Lines. Maybe this is is an option cruise lines could consider - a small extra fee of course, but something to consider if there are numerous sea days.

Darcy

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 6:02 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Cruise.blog did an article on stuff that's disappearing on (some) cruises at https://cruise.blog/2022/10/nostalgic-cruise-traditions-being-phased-out .

It's a good article, well worth reading and dodging the landmines, IMHO.  Here are the items that were mentioned:

• Midnight buffets
  • Chocolate buffet
  • Intricate ice carvings and demonstrations
  • Cruise recap video
  • Themed menus every night
  • Chocolates on your pillow
  • In-person muster drills
  • Rooms with portholes
  • Printing every photo taken
  • Printed daily cruise schedules

No poll this time, I'll just ask straight out:  Which of these "traditions" do you miss most?  Which ones don't you miss at all?

I guess I'll start.  I will miss the daily schedules most when they go.  I've actually gotten full ones on the cruises I've taken since the pandemic, but I've heard of reductions in this area and I'm sure they will affect me eventually.  Much as the Chief doesn't like to hear it, I don't think the in-person muster drills are coming back any time soon, and that's fine with me.

Think there's an old Tradition that is not listed.

Baked Alaska Parade - MDR

Anyone remember the day when the Baked Alaska was aflame.

The waiters would balance the plate of Flaming Baked Alaska as they Conga Line Danced thru the MDR.  All the guests would twirl their dinner napkins in the air.

Enjoyed it the first time I ever saw it - but once was enough.

• Like 2

Here's an oldie: the position of Social Hostess. She would be ahead of the Captain in the receiving line at the first reception, and would introduce each passenger, by name, to the Captain. She would be in attendance at events such as afternoon teas, and around the ship acting as an ombundsman for any passenger issues.  And it was she who made up the guest list for invitations to dinner with the Captain.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

The waiters would balance the plate of Flaming Baked Alaska as they Conga Line Danced thru the MDR.  All the guests would twirl their dinner napkins in the air.

I felt it was more than enough - less than half way through that first time.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

Yes, I remember that.  I actually enjoyed that tradition.  Have not seen baked Alaska for some time, but they still occasionally have parades.  I still enjoy them.    

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yes, I remember that.  I actually enjoyed that tradition.  Have not seen baked Alaska for some time, but they still occasionally have parades.  I still enjoy them.    

I think anytime dining put and end to the parades. The last parade I witnessed interrupted my anytime meal and was preceded by a long speech. I have no idea why we were supposed to applaud the chefs, seemed like childish summer camp nonsense to me.

I fondly remember live piano music during dinner and the waiters showing off a tray of the evening's desserts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whogo said:

I think anytime dining put and end to the parades. The last parade I witnessed interrupted my anytime meal and was preceded by a long speech. I have no idea why we were supposed to applaud the chefs, seemed like childish summer camp nonsense to me.

I fondly remember live piano music during dinner and the waiters showing off a tray of the evening's desserts.

I don't know how exactly to describe it.  Maybe just to promote a holiday cheerfulness kind of atmosphere.  

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Here's an oldie: the position of Social Hostess. She would be ahead of the Captain in the receiving line at the first reception, and would introduce each passenger, by name, to the Captain. She would be in attendance at events such as afternoon teas, and around the ship acting as an ombundsman for any passenger issues.  And it was she who made up the guest list for invitations to dinner with the Captain.

I had forgotten that position!  There are two women whom I remember in particular in that role.  One was the Social Hostess who was also an entertainer (excellent voice!) on S. S. Monterey during my first Hawaiian cruise.  The other woman was the Social Hostess on Royal Viking Sky whom I met again a few years later on a HAL ship.  Very engaging and, surprisingly, she did remember me.  

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Agree.  They helped make a cruise just that much different from any land dining experience.  I also recall the flaming Baked Alaskas..

The one type of parade that I did not care for was when HAL began parading "vegetables" as dinner came to an end.  Thought that was rather "dumb" and not a "Signature of Excellence".  (Probably an idea that originated in some Seattle executive's mind to justify his paycheck that month?)  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Agree.  They helped make a cruise just that much different from any land dining experience.  I also recall the flaming Baked Alaskas..

The one type of parade that I did not care for was when HAL began parading "vegetables" as dinner came to an end.  Thought that was rather "dumb" and not a "Signature of Excellence".  (Probably an idea that originated in some Seattle executive's mind to justify his paycheck that month?)  

Vegetables?  That is unique for sure.   I'm thinking it more likely that the deserts were all gone and vegetables were all they had left!  😀

• Haha 1

How about the long-lost skill of "Silver Service", with highly trained waiters, who knew how to serve properly, including the correct side to serve food and the side to remove used dishes.

Don't believe any of the supposedly "Luxury" cruise lines provide "Silver Service" these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Vegetables?  That is unique for sure.   I'm thinking it more likely that the deserts were all gone and vegetables were all they had left!  😀

The Stewards were adorned with veggie symbols as I recall.  Just ridiculous.  

7 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

How about the long-lost skill of "Silver Service",

How could I have not thought of that!  A sight that I saw during my first cruise on Rotterdam V.  Formal night with ladies wearing gowns with open backs.  At an adjoining table, a Steward was serving her from a platter with some kind of meat with au jus.  He lost control of the platter and some of the au jus spilled down the lady's back.  Her reaction was interesting to see.  And, the dining room's officials came rushing to her aid.  That was also interesting to watch!  

But, Silver Service is elegant dining.  And, pre-Covid, flying International Business Class, the course by course dining service approximated this kind of luxury dining.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

How about the long-lost skill of "Silver Service", with highly trained waiters, who knew how to serve properly, including the correct side to serve food and the side to remove used dishes.

Don't believe any of the supposedly "Luxury" cruise lines provide "Silver Service" these days.

It's getting harder and harder to find this done properly even on land at top restaurants.  Some still do (or did, prior to COVID; we haven't gone to fine restaurants since those before times...).

Seeing proper fish forks and knives, etc... I suppose those who haven't really learned to associate that type of service with "fine dining" don't miss it.  But it did (and occasionally still does, I hope) a very special feel to the meal and the evening, etc.

Does Cunard's Queens Grill still have this type of service perhaps?

But some of that has just vanished in life generally.

Reminds me of a sad comment from an airline female flight attendant, "Years ago, they issued white gloves to us.  Now, they issue handcuffs."

Sigh.

GC

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

It's getting harder and harder to find this done properly even on land at top restaurants.  Some still do (or did, prior to COVID; we haven't gone to fine restaurants since those before times...).

Seeing proper fish forks and knives, etc... I suppose those who haven't really learned to associate that type of service with "fine dining" don't miss it.  But it did (and occasionally still does, I hope) a very special feel to the meal and the evening, etc.

Does Cunard's Queens Grill still have this type of service perhaps?

But some of that has just vanished in life generally.

Reminds me of a sad comment from an airline female flight attendant, "Years ago, they issued white gloves to us.  Now, they issue handcuffs."

Sigh.

GC

Sadly, even shore-side, we haven't experienced Silver Service in about 20-yrs, probably provides an indication that we don't go out for fine dining. To get Silver Service, we would most likely have to head into the city, and we avoid the city just like we avoid mega ships - too many people, too crowded, too noisy.........

Unfortunately, all the Captains I knew on QM2 have retired, so no way of checking, if Queen's Grill still provides this service.

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

How could I have not thought of that!  A sight that I saw during my first cruise on Rotterdam V.  Formal night with ladies wearing gowns with open backs.  At an adjoining table, a Steward was serving her from a platter with some kind of meat with au jus.  He lost control of the platter and some of the au jus spilled down the lady's back.  Her reaction was interesting to see.  And, the dining room's officials came rushing to her aid.  That was also interesting to watch!  

But, Silver Service is elegant dining.  And, pre-Covid, flying International Business Class, the course by course dining service approximated this kind of luxury dining.  

The other one I forgot is preparing some dishes tableside. In most ships these days, the tables are crammed so tight that there isn't room to wheel a cart out and have room to safely work at the cart. They used to finish a number of meats, pastas, salads and who can forget the flambe desserts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The other one I forgot is preparing some dishes tableside. In most ships these days, the tables are crammed so tight that there isn't room to wheel a cart out and have room to safely work at the cart. They used to finish a number of meats, pastas, salads and who can forget the flambe desserts.

Or the Caesar salad prepared tableside?

Thanks to awards, we now fly ultra long-haul in first or business on some top international carriers.  But my most memorable meal service was in F on Swiss Air, probably back in the 1980s.  (As an aside, the F seat back then, while wide and cushioned, barely reclined by today's standards.)  Anyway, the "stewardess" rolled a trolley down the aisle, stopping to ask each passenger how they preferred their meat, medium or medium rare, etc.  And there on the trolley was a big chateaubriand on a carving board, and she had a nice carving knife to slice off whatever one asked for... thin, thick, etc.  And, of course, seconds. 🙂 

I think I ate my way across the pond...

GC

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

and who can forget the flambe desserts.

That went along with less effective fire suppression systems.  I remember the Baked Alaska, the Bananas Foster, and the Cherries Jubilee that would set off the sprinklers in the dining rooms.

We started crusiing in the mid-70s and have seen many cruise amenties/traditions come and go.  The Midnight Buffets (more often opened at 11:30) were amazing (on Sitmar they had them every night) but an absolute waste of food.  Chocolate Buffets only existed on a few cruise lines and I suspect will continue to be an activity on a few lines (perhaps with an extra fee).

But I want to focus on the Muster Drill, as a long time frequent cruiser and ex first responder.  Emergencies do happen on ships and a big emergency that involves mustering is a very serious and dangerous event.  Just ask those who were on the near ill-fated Viking Sky cruise in 2019.  We had family on that cruise (off of Norway) and they found themselves at their indoor lounge muster station with sea water up to their ankles (for a few minutes).  Our two family members were ultimately winched off the deck, at 3am, by the Norwegian Coast guard.  Fortunately the ship was eventually able to regain power and avoid a disasterous grounding/sinking.

Imagine such an emergency on a ship with 10,000 persons (the newest RCI ship will carry close to that number).  Those of us with experience in emergency operations know about panic and the related dangers.  The best way to prevent panic and ensure orderly operations is practice, practice, practice.  Cruise ship crews drill several times a week, but even they would benefit from more drilling (where would they get the time?).  Passengers were traditionally asked to drill one time (more on very long cruises) and these drills generally took no more than an hour out of their embarkation day.  Those drills were important, not just for the passengers, but also for the crew who gained needed experience dealing with the masses.

So now, the sad lessons of the past seem to have been forgotten and muster drills have hit new lows.  On our recent MSC Seashore cruise (over 4000 passengers) the passengers were not even issued any life jackets.  None!  There are no life jackets in the cabin nor are they to be seen anywhere around the ship.  They are stored at the various muster stations (hidden out of sight).  In a real emergency the crew would be expected to quickly issue over 4000 life jackets to folks, many of whom would not know which side is up!  If the emergency involved smoke (a major problem on ships) there would likely be panic, the use of alternative muster stations (with the passengers not having a clue), etc.  The safety systems on modern ships are amazing, but they are not perfect and cannot stop humans from panicking.  

I will admit that having spent far more than 1300 days on cruise ships, this recent Seashore cruise was the first time I had strong doubts/concerns about the mustering system.  It is totally dependent on the crew (most of whom are not mariners) doing the right thing and much of the crew (on MSC and other lines) are relatively new to cruising with minimal training.  COVID caused many of the experienced crew members to move off to new ventures and it will be years until the cruise lines can achieve a similar level of experience among their new members.  In simple terms I think the new procedures (or lack thereof) are a terrible accident waiting to happen.  And it will happen because emergencies always occur!  It is just a matter of time.   And when a major disaster does happen there will be the usual post investigations, professionals will shake their heads, SOLAS will again be modified, etc.  And we will again wonder how we ignore the basic tenant that history tends to repeat itself.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We started crusiing in the mid-70s and have seen many cruise amenties/traditions come and go.  The Midnight Buffets (more often opened at 11:30) were amazing (on Sitmar they had them every night) but an absolute waste of food.  Chocolate Buffets only existed on a few cruise lines and I suspect will continue to be an activity on a few lines (perhaps with an extra fee).

But I want to focus on the Muster Drill, as a long time frequent cruiser and ex first responder.  Emergencies do happen on ships and a big emergency that involves mustering is a very serious and dangerous event.  Just ask those who were on the near ill-fated Viking Sky cruise in 2019.  We had family on that cruise (off of Norway) and they found themselves at their indoor lounge muster station with sea water up to their ankles (for a few minutes).  Our two family members were ultimately winched off the deck, at 3am, by the Norwegian Coast guard.  Fortunately the ship was eventually able to regain power and avoid a disasterous grounding/sinking.

Imagine such an emergency on a ship with 10,000 persons (the newest RCI ship will carry close to that number).  Those of us with experience in emergency operations know about panic and the related dangers.  The best way to prevent panic and ensure orderly operations is practice, practice, practice.  Cruise ship crews drill several times a week, but even they would benefit from more drilling (where would they get the time?).  Passengers were traditionally asked to drill one time (more on very long cruises) and these drills generally took no more than an hour out of their embarkation day.  Those drills were important, not just for the passengers, but also for the crew who gained needed experience dealing with the masses.

So now, the sad lessons of the past seem to have been forgotten and muster drills have hit new lows.  On our recent MSC Seashore cruise (over 4000 passengers) the passengers were not even issued any life jackets.  None!  There are no life jackets in the cabin nor are they to be seen anywhere around the ship.  They are stored at the various muster stations (hidden out of sight).  In a real emergency the crew would be expected to quickly issue over 4000 life jackets to folks, many of whom would not know which side is up!  If the emergency involved smoke (a major problem on ships) there would likely be panic, the use of alternative muster stations (with the passengers not having a clue), etc.  The safety systems on modern ships are amazing, but they are not perfect and cannot stop humans from panicking.  

I will admit that having spent far more than 1300 days on cruise ships, this recent Seashore cruise was the first time I had strong doubts/concerns about the mustering system.  It is totally dependent on the crew (most of whom are not mariners) doing the right thing and much of the crew (on MSC and other lines) are relatively new to cruising with minimal training.  COVID caused many of the experienced crew members to move off to new ventures and it will be years until the cruise lines can achieve a similar level of experience among their new members.  In simple terms I think the new procedures (or lack thereof) are a terrible accident waiting to happen.  And it will happen because emergencies always occur!  It is just a matter of time.   And when a major disaster does happen there will be the usual post investigations, professionals will shake their heads, SOLAS will again be modified, etc.  And we will again wonder how we ignore the basic tenant that history tends to repeat itself.

Hank

Yet if you read posts in many of these forums, the one thing almost unanimously liked by the posters is the new muster non-drill. Basically the only ones objecting are the experienced mariners who post on these boards and those who are actually listening to them.

It is unfortunate, but it will take a disaster to reinstate real safety drills. Previously it took the Costa Concordia sinking and loss of life to tighten up the drill requirements.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

That went along with less effective fire suppression systems.  I remember the Baked Alaska, the Bananas Foster, and the Cherries Jubilee that would set off the sprinklers in the dining rooms.

Fortunately, I don't recall having to deal with that dampening experience.😁

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Yet if you read posts in many of these forums, the one thing almost unanimously liked by the posters is the new muster non-drill. Basically the only ones objecting are the experienced mariners who post on these boards and those who are actually listening to them.

It is unfortunate, but it will take a disaster to reinstate real safety drills. Previously it took the Costa Concordia sinking and loss of life to tighten up the drill requirements.

Yep.  That's to be expected.  People will opine on the muster drill based on the fact the new process is convenient for them.  I have 29 years with the USCG and I agree with my fellow mariners on this thread.  Looking at it through the eyes of a professional rescuer, I don't like it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1