Carnival Cruise Line Cracks Down On Deck Chair Hogs

mnocket

carnival-deck-chair-hogs-1030x510.png?wi

If the chair remains unoccupied for 40 minutes, the contents are removed and held for the guest’s safekeeping.”

This policy is not new to Carnival, but it has not always been enforced.

I hope this is extended to all CCL brands.

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-cracks-down-chair-hogs/

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 25

I hope this happens with Princess but I doubt it.  First, they'd have to hire more people to "police" the deck chairs, then they'd have to deal with confronting the passengers trying to get their stuff back.  Princess has always been reluctant to enforce its rules (dining room dress code for one example). I just don't see it happening however much I'd like it.

• Like 4

Would not count on the policy spreading. Although I have never been on Carnival expect that the process will not last.

One weakness. There are a good number of passengers that place their belonging on the chairs and sit on the edge or are in the pool much of the time, moving back and forth to their stuff. While not sitting in chairs they are using the pool facility.

I think I would do that too!   If I were still looking for a decent lounger 30-40 minutes later, I would know which ones were the chair hogs!!!   I have seen Princess move stuff, one time, at the retreat pool.

Carnival seems to have a issue here with low class, and even arguing and fights.  I have heard that they are trying to crack down on all of this kind of stuff.

• Like 2

Deck-chairs reserved by chair hogs will usually have just a tower or a towel and a book on them.

Deck-chairs used by people actually in the vacinity will usually have articles of clothing and other personal effects on them.

Relatively easy to pick out which are the deck-chairs not actually being used.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

Heck no. Who needs that long for a toilet stop?! Any longer than a toilet stop and you've given up the right to that deck-chair. C'mon!

I’m not so sure it’s reasonable to expect people to give up their chairs every time they swim or use the hot tub. 40 minutes seems fair.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, antsp said:

I just move the stuff myself, if some one turns up I act dumb, I'm an expert at acting dumb

I do this too. And so far I’ve been finished with the chair before anyone even came back, each time I did it. I think everyone should do this. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

40 minutes is far too long! Should be 20-mins max! 

I think 40 is about right.  20 is too short.  I can't make my way into the buffet and eat and back in 20 minutes.  40 minutes allows you to go exercise, eat something and return.  I think that is more than fair.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Heck no. Who needs that long for a toilet stop?! Any longer than a toilet stop and you've given up the right to that deck-chair. C'mon!

So the only reason to leave the chair is to make a toilet stop? 

17 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

I think I would do that too!   If I were still looking for a decent lounger 30-40 minutes later, I would know which ones were the chair hogs!!!   I have seen Princess move stuff, one time, at the retreat pool.

Carnival seems to have a issue here with low class, and even arguing and fights.  I have heard that they are trying to crack down on all of this kind of stuff.

I read that they're instituting a fine for "rowdy" behavior. I'd like to watch from a safe distance as they try to enforce that one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

40 minutes is far too long! Should be 20-mins max! 

Way too short. I know I take pool/swim/bar breaks that are longer than 20 minutes. Not everyone that uses the pool facility sits in their lounge chair all day. Not everyone keeps saying to themselves I have to watch the clock and be back to my chair to punch in by 1:45pm. I don't believe this practice will last very long. It is very controversial and probably will cause more issues than the issue they are trying to solve.

The way to solve the issue is to build ships that just have more lounges around the pools.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I think 40 is about right.  20 is too short.  I can't make my way into the buffet and eat and back in 20 minutes.  40 minutes allows you to go exercise, eat something and return.  I think that is more than fair.

If you're doing all that - you're not using the chair!! C'mon.. be a bit fair!! If you're off to dinner.. you've finished - it's somebody elses turn!!

• Like 9

I wonder how long an actual passenger uses a chair?  That should be the limit - once you indicate you are using a chair, the time is noted (use for the App maybe?) then after the "average" time that chair must be given up for someone else to use assuming you aren't sitting in the chair.  How would people feel if the chair at Crooners or any other bar was saved for an entire day?  If you are actually in the chair then no harm no foul.

• Like 3

I know everybody is concerned about deck chairhogs, but what about the solo person in the piazza who needs to go to the bathroom? Or perhaps that person is going to the IC to get a salad?

I had my lunch removed on recent cruise while I went to get just 1 more thing from IC and came back to someone's mask there. I removed the mask and then the person who owned them left the dance floor and started yelling at me. So I asked her what happened to my lunch? Not all IC options are on the app. 

I'm all for everyone being able to save a chair for 20 minutes

• Like 2

When I use the pool for a quick dip or take a quick washroom break I leave my things at my lounger. If I get up to grab a quick burger or slice I come back to my chair to eat. Should I decide to go to the buffet and eat there I take all my stuff with me and relinquish the lounger. Same if I go to a lecture, event, etc. When I am done if I want to go back to the pool I simply scope out another lounger.  Additionally if I just plan on using the pool or hot tub for an extended period of time I don’t even grab a longer. I put my stuff in a dry spot adjacent. All of this is common sense. 

if everyone used common sense and acted respectfully none of this would be an issue. 

• Like 15

16 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I’ve always felt that if the cruise lines installed a few cubbies or lockers just adjacent to the pools this could cut down on the many guests who use a lounger as a place to store their stuff. Seems such a simple way to alleviate some of the chair hogging. 

They aren't using the loungers to store their stuff. They are using their stuff to "reserve" a lounger. 

• Like 3