Fernando has left Silversea

wren2

5 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

We are extremely sad to learn of Fernando’s retirement from Silversea, but we wish him well in his new affiliation with Crystal and his long time friend Manfredi.  It will be impossible to replace him.  Our hope is that the new Crystal will “grandfather” Passengers with Silversea perks although I can’t begin to imagine the cost of that.

That will be hilarious…as Seabourn gave the Crystal cruisers equivalent status? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Emdee said:

That will be hilarious…as Seabourn gave the Crystal cruisers equivalent status? 

Never mind the Silversea passengers getting a status match on new Crystal

Us ex classic Crystal cruisers are keen to get our previous status recognised on the new Crystal 😉

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

Crystal won't be just another Silversea rival.  Manfredi represents what Silversea used to be before RCC took charge and made changes that many on this forum say were not for the best.  I did not have the pleasure of sailing with Silversea pre RCC, and I am looking forward to seeing what Crystal offers guests when they start up in 2023.  Also, their excursion offerings should be an improvement with Abercrombie & Kent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Manfredi represents what Silversea used to be before RCC took charge and made changes that many on this forum say were not for the best. 

A quick history lesson about Silversea can be read on Wiki.   Never met Manfredi, but to say it was some great cruise line under his leadership is a mistake.   It was a great cruise line when his father was in charge.   No respect at all for the son.   I like Fernando, but he led the demise of Polish bands in favor of all Filipino.   He was given orders, so do not blame him.   Standing next to Fernando at entrance to

The Bar while the Filipino duo  is performing a song.  The piano player and singer performing two different songs at same time.   "People do not care as long as they see a pretty face," is the response to my disappointment.   My favorite watering hole down the drink.  Great times in that room, oh well.

My crossing on Moon was the best SS experience in fourteen years.   A month later and Muse was second best.   Soon to do the return crossing on Moon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I for one am very excited about the new company, I Just hope that Manfredi doesn’t fill the ships with his poorly mannered friends that can dominate an entire venue as he did often on SS. 

Remember Nico?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

yep Nico had his own inflatible pool on a large portion of the Spirit pool deck on a crossing. Before the Hd finally shut it down due to dozens of complaints.

Then, Nico was dancing barefoot on the Guest service counter as the young ladies were gaga for him (no doubt due to his family connection to Manfredi).  And Nico's parents had their own reserved table in la Terraza for lunch and dinner.  Not a shining moment in my silversea cruises.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, WesW said:

yep Nico had his own inflatible pool on a large portion of the Spirit pool deck on a crossing. Before the Hd finally shut it down due to dozens of complaints.

Then, Nico was dancing barefoot on the Guest service counter as the young ladies were gaga for him (no doubt due to his family connection to Manfredi).  And Nico's parents had their own reserved table in la Terraza for lunch and dinner.  Not a shining moment in my silversea cruises.

I wonder if the now older Nico will be dancing on the bars of Crystal?

• Haha 3

On 10/20/2022 at 9:41 AM, Stickman1990 said:

Never mind the Silversea passengers getting a status match on new Crystal

Us ex classic Crystal cruisers are keen to get our previous status recognised on the new Crystal 😉

And they are anxiously awaiting that news!

Which makes me think of something interesting. Virgin Voyages (VV) just offered anyone who has loyalty status on another line to have equivalent status on VV. Could this be a new trend??? 🤔 Don’t get me wrong, not expecting an avalanche of Silversea passengers to head to VV! But cruiser brand loyalty is very high, so will new cruise lines offer this as an enticement?

Of course you know Silversea is suing Crystal already for poaching some talent who had non-competes.

No surprise about Fernando leaving as he is very tight with Manfredi and was there at the beginning with Sitka/Silversea. Actually surprised it took this long! Nice guy, a legend — simply because he is so friendly, outgoing, loquacious, quick-witted speaks so many languages and memorized everyone’s name. A professional socializer. Quite the gig!

3 hours ago, FLRI said:

And they are anxiously awaiting that news!

Which makes me think of something interesting. Virgin Voyages (VV) just offered anyone who has loyalty status on another line to have equivalent status on VV. Could this be a new trend??? 🤔 Don’t get me wrong, not expecting an avalanche of Silversea passengers to head to VV! But cruiser brand loyalty is very high, so will new cruise lines offer this as an enticement?

Of course you know Silversea is suing Crystal already for poaching some talent who had non-competes.

No surprise about Fernando leaving as he is very tight with Manfredi and was there at the beginning with Sitka/Silversea. Actually surprised it took this long! Nice guy, a legend — simply because he is so friendly, outgoing, loquacious, quick-witted speaks so many languages and memorized everyone’s name. A professional socializer. Quite the gig!

MSC has offered reciprocal status for a long time. Not sure how many Venetians will enjoy the size of the ship other than trying out the yacht club which is an enclave offering butlers, private bar, pool and pool bar and restaurant for about 250 pax. The suites are comparable to those on MSC.

7 hours ago, FLRI said:

Does that mean Rock Stars get to use the adult toy that comes with every cabin for free?

11 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Perhaps a little younger, and he was designated as ‘screaming’ Nico. Incidentally we met Mr & Mrs TTS on that voyage.

Indeed. Mrs TTS still remembers the floral circlet you made for her on her birthday. Our first and most memorable cruise. 

• Like 1

Fernando’s departure is just one of many in recent times. Jimmy, Colin,Alan, Kirk and Jean Mark to name a few.

The people that made it enjoyable to sail with SS.

While RCL has provided money for required refits to ships, the quality of personnel has declined in many management areas!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, faucet said:

Fernando’s departure is just one of many in recent times. Jimmy, Colin,Alan, Kirk and Jean Mark to name a few.

Assuming you mean the talented Kirk Detweiler (whose last CD gig was on the Shadow in May 2019), he is now the Executive Director of the beautiful Palace Theatre in Marion Ohio, where he occasionally performs:

https://www.marionstar.com/story/news/local/2021/10/14/kirk-detweiler-chosen-new-executive-director-palace-theatre/6096421001/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, faucet said:

The people that made it enjoyable to sail with SS.

While RCL has provided money for required refits to ships, the quality of personnel has declined in many management areas!

Harsh to give no credit to some of the new faces coming along. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, faucet said:

Fernando’s departure is just one of many in recent times. Jimmy, Colin,Alan, Kirk and Jean Mark to name a few... The people that made it enjoyable to sail with SS. While RCL has provided money for required refits to ships, the quality of personnel has declined in many management areas!

You're assuming that everyone would have kept sailing with SS indefinitely had senior management compensated them or traded them better. I think it's more complicated than that. A life on a cruise ship is a very unusual life, and not for everyone for an entire career. People decide they don't want to be away from home and family for 4 or 6 months at a time forever, and they move on to other jobs not at sea. I don't think RCL's ownership of SS can be blamed for that. I don't know all the people mentioned, but assuming many of them worked for SS from its early days in the mid 90's, it's not surprising some have "aged out" of cruise ship life.

And yes, some have found greener pastures with other cruise lines as well. they may have been blocked from reaching higher positions at SS — there are only so many cruise directors, hotel directors, etc. on a cruise line with a small number of ships — which they could achieve with a different cruise line seeking to fill vacancies from expansion or retirements. 

In not saying RCL has been flawless; I'm only saying you can't blame them for every veteran SS crew member who has left. 

• Like 2

Colin and Alan came to a well earned retirement after a long and successful career. 
Jimmy moved up to Hotel Director, a move he really wanted. 

People move up, move along, retire. I’m happy to move along with the times and cruise with new faces, and enjoy their new energy and talents. 

• Like 7

On 10/26/2022 at 12:03 AM, jollyjones said:

Colin and Alan came to a well earned retirement after a long and successful career. 
Jimmy moved up to Hotel Director, a move he really wanted. 

People move up, move along, retire. I’m happy to move along with the times and cruise with new faces, and enjoy their new energy and talents. 

I believe Jimmy has left again though. I understand Aimee jumped ship to Seabourn and she was one of the better new CD’s, Rico is excellent and we have also enjoyed Big Bob.

• Like 1