Flying to cruise port

navybankerteacher

I saw a news story last night concerning the ongoing trend of airlines shrinking seating space for passengers. Since the average American man weighed about 168 lbs.  in 1960, about 189 lbs. in 2000 and about 200 lbs. in 2020;  the trend seems to go against logic.  

Could the all-you-can-eat buffets aboard cruise ships be contributing to the problems facing people flying to cruise ports?

• Haha 2

2/3 of Americans are already obese before they get to the buffet.  Amazing that our national diet tends so unhealthy.

When we visit some other countries like Australia and NZ, we are amazed that their locals are mostly trim and fit, like we Americans were 60, 70 years ago.

The buffet doesn't help for sure, but it's not a causative factor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I’ll throw out some thoughts about our obesity problem.  Television, air conditioning, leading forward to the proliferation of electronic entertainment.  I’m pretty old, so I remember NOT having TV.  We didn’t get TV until I was in 6th grade.  Weekdays, it was only on in the evenings, and there were only two stations.  We did watch some morning TV on Saturday, plus football.  We went outside to play.  We had only one car, although when we reached driving age we each got a set of keys.
   We lived in an apartment without a/c.  In fact, a/c was unusual back then.  But we spent every summer at Grandma’s, six weeks at least, July 4 or so until the end of August.  A very small town in northern MO, where also A/c was rare.  We played outside.  When TV became common, multiple TV homes, and a/c became a requirement, no one goes outside to play.  Watching TV and playing electronic games has become preferable to going outside to play with the neighborhood kids.
     And the proliferation of these entertainments, plus urban sprawl creating the need for multiple cars, has made it necessary for both parents to work to afford all of it.  So cooking often involves fast food.  
Anyway, just a few thoughts.  EM  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I saw a news story last night concerning the ongoing trend of airlines shrinking seating space for passengers. Since the average American man weighed about 168 lbs.  in 1960, about 189 lbs. in 2000 and about 200 lbs. in 2020;  the trend seems to go against logic.  

Could the all-you-can-eat buffets aboard cruise ships be contributing to the problems facing people flying to cruise ports?

More likely the buffets are impacting people on the flight home.

25 minutes ago, George C said:

Have not noticed any changes in our first class seats 😁😁😁😁. Except the price 😢😢😢.

Since you show Dallas as your location, you might not be aware that AA just announced (last week) that they are eliminating First Class.

Hank

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Since you show Dallas as your location, you might not be aware that AA just announced (last week) that they are eliminating First Class.

Hank

Just read that but they are expanding business class which seems to have same size seats and perks from my experience.

• Like 1

Just now, George C said:

Just read that but they are expanding business class which seems to have same size seats and perks from my experience.

With AA it is all so confusing.  Consider that domestic first class is not nearly as good as International Business Class.  And what AA calls "First Class" is another airline's business class.  These days when we book air we take a careful look at the hardware (type aircraft and configuration) as well as the amenities.   There are huge differences between airlines and even the hardware within a single airline.  The terms "First Class,' Business Class. and even Premium Economy" means different things on different airlines.  And it gets even crazier with lounge access.  Fly AA First Class to Puerto Vallarta and you used to not get lounge access.  But fly the same airline to Mexico city and you did get lounge access.  Why?  Who knows.

And just another thought which is that Delta One, on their A350s is actually nicer than First Class on several other airlines.

Hank

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

With AA it is all so confusing.  Consider that domestic first class is not nearly as good as International Business Class.  And what AA calls "First Class" is another airline's business class.  These days when we book air we take a careful look at the hardware (type aircraft and configuration) as well as the amenities.   There are huge differences between airlines and even the hardware within a single airline.  The terms "First Class,' Business Class. and even Premium Economy" means different things on different airlines.  And it gets even crazier with lounge access.  Fly AA First Class to Puerto Vallarta and you used to not get lounge access.  But fly the same airline to Mexico city and you did get lounge access.  Why?  Who knows.

And just another thought which is that Delta One, on their A350s is actually nicer than First Class on several other airlines.

Hank

Only time we had a free lounge was in Barcelona we had several hours to kill and was flying business class was extremely happy with free food and bar that you helped yourself, that was for all airlines first and business. I am 6’4” over 250 lbs with bad knees so I really need leg room .

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Don't think that the buffets are the issue, but I recently read an article about shrinking seat sizes:

The FAA wants your opinion on the size of airplane seats, but the deadline is fast approaching

https://thehill.com/homenews/369595...e-seats-but-the-deadline-is-fast-approaching/

https://www.regulations.gov/document/FAA-2022-1001-0001

According to the CDC the average male increase in stature a bit too and I think leg room has decreased also.  Those skinny 1960s guys were huffing and puffing on their cigarettes throughout the entire flight too.  

…TCDC’s National Center for Health Statistics, shows that the average height of a man aged 20-74 years increased from just over 5-8 in 1960 to 5-9 ½ in 2002…

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Don't think that the buffets are the issue, but I recently read an article about shrinking seat sizes:

The FAA wants your opinion on the size of airplane seats, but the deadline is fast approaching

https://thehill.com/homenews/369595...e-seats-but-the-deadline-is-fast-approaching/

https://www.regulations.gov/document/FAA-2022-1001-0001

Only the government would stage a survey to ask do you want a smaller seat on the airplane.   Really!  Just joking, I suppose the safety experts likely weigh in on this. 

46 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Only the government would stage a survey to ask do you want a smaller seat on the airplane.   Really!  Just joking, I suppose the safety experts likely weigh in on this. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a federal regulation requiring public input before certain policies or changes can be instituted by federal entities like the FAA? And I believe I read that before any more shrinkage can occur in aircraft seating, the airlines will have to prove the plane can be evacuated within the allowable limit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a federal regulation requiring public input before certain policies or changes can be instituted by federal entities like the FAA? And I believe I read that before any more shrinkage can occur in aircraft seating, the airlines will have to prove the plane can be evacuated within the allowable limit.

I was joking.  I did mention safety experts

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Love the DL One have flown on it a couple of times this year. Well worth it.