Travel agent/PVP/Me pros and cons?

hillbilly cruiser

I only book myself so I'm going off what I read here.

TAs will sometimes toss extras at you for you to book with them OBC etc. , but once you book with a TA Carnival won't talk to you about your booking directly.

PVPs can make sure you're getting the best deal and can search stuff easier etc.

But you know what you want so book it

• Like 2

If you book yourself or with a PVP with Carnival then you own your booking, you're in full control over your booking and can make any needed changes quickly and easily. If there's a price drop, you can easily submit the form and get it taken care of. If any issues arise, Carnival can help you resolve them. If you use a travel agent then you must go through them for everything. Booking a cruise is so easy, a caveman can do it. No need to add another cog to the wheel of simplicity. 

• Like 3

The only reason I use a TA is they give me a gift in exchange for booking through them while the cruise itself is the same price as booking direct. Otherwise I'd just as soon book myself on carnival.com or whatever line I'm booking through.

I only use a PVP, but at times I put the room on hold and give him a call. Always returns calls, will let me know if a final payment is approaching, lets me know all the latest news prior to being posted to include a change in port literally as I was waiting to board the ship which was prior to the letter that Carnival handed us, will change a cruise should I change my mind without loss of funds and always tells me the best offer that I have available but most importantly I never have to call Customer Service (he has even handled excursions for me).

• Like 2

Just last week my PVP got the $100.00 fee for changing dates on two booked cruises waived for us, was very appreciative. Also, as previous poster said, after I do my research which I enjoy, I will often put a cruise on hold and then contact my PVP. She is very responsive to emails and calls. She will find any deals if they are out there. If there is a drop in price she does that processing for me. Just really like having someone “I know” there for me. 

• Like 1

We do almost all of our booking through our 20+ year incumbent PVP.  Her assistance through the pandemic was absolutely invaluable.  I have never waited on the 1-800 HOLD line.  On the very rare occasion where Carnival enlists some major TAs to quietly 'move' some rooms at well below published rates, we'll go that direction.  Typically I'll let my PVP know and she'll say 'I can't touch that; go for it.'  I would never do that for a minimal savings like $20pp. 

• Like 2

I do all the research myself as to what cruise I want, what cabin I want, etc. etc. and then book through a travel agent.  Pricing is always exactly the same as what can be found on Carnival's website.  On our last cruise, a 15 day to Hawaii, she gave us an extra $525 in OBC.  On a 6 day this month she's throwing in $175 for OBC, and an 8 day next month it's $300.  That, of course, is on top of any Carnival promotional OBC etc. 

It was a bit of trial and error finding an agent that was responsive to the rare occasion when I needed to make an adjustment to a booking etc. but I'm happy with the one I use now.

• Like 2

We always did it ourselves which worked fine until we decided to use a PVP..now I realize how helpful they can be , especially if you have a good one. During Covid we had so many booked and cancelled and rebooked with OBC and different codes etc. it just got really complicated. It was way easier to have him navigate things . 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hillbilly cruiser said:

What are the pros and cons of using a travel agent my PVP or doing it myself?

I know what ship, the date, which cabin, and all the other stuff.

Is there any advantage to doing one or the other.

We are Platinium cruisers.

Thanks

A Travel Agent is free to you. No cost involved, or at least there shouldn't be if you're working with  reputable agent. 

When you need to make changes or changes are made by the cruise line (such as the pandemic) the travel agent has to handle all the calls and the changes for you.

A travel agent can advocate on your behalf to get additional perks, preferred seating time, etc.. for those in higher loyalty status.

A travel agent has a specific business manager to call at the cruise line vs. the call center for the general public. 

We've been cruising for almost 20 years and always use a travel agent. Never more thankful for that than during the pandemic when we had three cruises that were constantly shifting around.  

Unfortunately we can't recommend any on here because CC is owned by a major travel company. But you should be able to find a good one through word of mouth. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

A Travel Agent is free to you. No cost involved, or at least there shouldn't be if you're working with  reputable agent. 

When you need to make changes or changes are made by the cruise line (such as the pandemic) the travel agent has to handle all the calls and the changes for you.

A travel agent can advocate on your behalf to get additional perks, preferred seating time, etc.. for those in higher loyalty status.

A travel agent has a specific business manager to call at the cruise line vs. the call center for the general public. 

We've been cruising for almost 20 years and always use a travel agent. Never more thankful for that than during the pandemic when we had three cruises that were constantly shifting around.  

Unfortunately we can't recommend any on here because CC is owned by a major travel company. But you should be able to find a good one through word of mouth. 

I agree with your post except for the last paragraph. CC did not allow posts naming TAs well before they were owned by a major travel company. I believe the rationale was the boards would be inundated with posts recommending TAs or criticizing TAs and there would be self advertising from TAs.

• Like 2

While I do use a TA for my major bucket-list trips (South Africa, Galapagos, etc.) I always use my pvp to book cruises.  I always do my research and know exactly what cabin to book, dining time, bed setup, etc.  If I ever get a promo, or need a change in something, a call or email to her and she gets back to me within the hour and does whatever needs to be done.  

• Like 1

We always use a PVP.  Frequently, we have a ship, date, rooms type and floor already picked.  We could book it ourselves if we wanted, but...

When things go wrong (need a date change, name change, etc) the 1-800 number is a nightmare.  A PVP will only assist with trips they booked typically.  

For example, I have a sister in law that loves to cruise.  But she's utterly incapable of making up her mind who in her family is going, and typically has a new boyfriend every 2 months.  Our PVP takes it all in stride and has had name change and room change fees waived multiple times for her.  If we called the 1-800 number, she's likely be swimming in $300+ in fees already for our January cruise alone.  

• Like 1

We use a TA who is very adept at handling our needs and any changes.  However, I do the research on the cabin choice to ensure there are decks above and below and location makes sense for us.  Then we add things via the app.  We started out using a PVP but after a couple of cruises, they kept changing and the new PVP had no idea of our past cruising habits or needs. 

• Like 2

So a couple cruises ago, our 7th cruise IIRC, I had done the research and knew exactly what I wanted to book.

I even chose a room next to a suite, because after all, don't suites get the best cabin stewards?  What a smarty I am!

But I always call our PVP to make the booking.  

As we were going through it all, I told him what cabin we wanted.  He then pointed out that I might best be served going to a cabin on the other side of the ship as that side would be the most likely be the side that would be towards the dock while the ship was in port... in both the ports we were visiting...assuming I wanted that view.  I did.  So I made the change.

I guess I knew that...but just an example that even if you have cruised multiple times, there is always something one just overlooks while going through the process. 

Another set of eyes is never a bad thing.

• Like 3

I’ve been trying to come up with the best, most respectful way to answer this. As always, YMMV, but the advantage of a PVP is they are constantly booking in the same system and very familiar with that particular product. TAs are constantly training to stay up to date on the products. Most prioritize what they sell the most of. A TA can give you a variety of pre and post accommodations, excursions and other travel options. TAs will usually be able to offer additional incentives especially to repeat clients. 

Edited by MeganGC1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never used a PVP.  From reading these types of posts throughout the years I don't see much difference between an excellent responsive TA and PVP, other than the TA may extend some perks.  Whether it is a TA or PVP, if yours is providing the service you want, hang on to them.

I kinda go between booking direct with Carnival and with a TA, no real rhyme or reason for which one I choose.  Except this last cruise.  I was looking for a specific room and Carnival said it was not available.  I checked with my TA, and they booked it for me right away.  I understand that there are reasons why a TA may have a cabin in its inventory when Carnival does not.  All I'm saying is that it was nice to have alternate sources.

• Like 2

One advantage to using a PVP is that they are Carnival experts and work with them all day, every day.  A TA is usually booking all number of cruise lines, as well as hotels, airlines, resorts, etc.

Our PVP has been with Carnival for almost 20 years.  If she doesn't know the answer to a question or is dealing with a difficult issue, she can get through to the proper people at Carnival without sitting on hold like an individual person or a TA has to.  She knows us well enough that if she sees a deal she thinks we would like, she calls us.  

• Like 1

We've used the same PVP for 21 years and she's the best. Like many who've already posted. I usually look everything up, find the cabin i want and then just reach out to her to finalize things. She'll always find us the best rate and even on our sailing this past summer on the Panorama she found some forget OBC from our COVID bookings. 

Just today she took care of us for our June 2024 sailing on the Celebration. I had spoken to her over 6 months ago regarding the trip I wanted to plan for my daughters graduation and she assured me she had a note on her computer. She then called me two weeks ago to give me a heads up that bookings for the summer of 2024 would be opening soon for the Celebration and she wanted to confirm the cabins I inquired about. Sure enough, I woke up this afternoon (I work overnights) and saw that I had two cabins on hold, I also had a missed call from her. Needless to say I just finalized the trip about 2 hours ago. She's amazing. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 2:40 AM, hillbilly cruiser said:

What are the pros and cons of using a travel agent my PVP or doing it myself?

I know what ship, the date, which cabin, and all the other stuff.

Is there any advantage to doing one or the other.

We are Platinium cruisers.

Thanks

Great question!!!   I actually just went through this a few weeks ago.  

I always have booked all of my own travel, but I wondered if I could get more through a PVP.  Honestly, the PVP can do the same as what you or I do when we book ourselves.  BUT, here is what I learned. 

In January I am doing a B2B that I booked myself, and my PVP went into that booking and updated some sort of code that told the file I have doing a B2B.  Supposedly, the code she entered would notify the ship I do not really need to disembark after the first leg.  I would actually join all the other passengers that are doing B2Bs to process for the new cruise after the rest of the passengers are disembarked.

I did have to have a "come to Jesus meeting" with her when I let her book a suite that sounded fantastic on the Mardi Gras until I learned my cabin was directly above a bar and my balcony was directly over Summer Landing.   She and I had to set the expectations I have no qualms in pricing but I did not want to spend a ton of money for a cabin I would never get a good nights sleep or a great afternoon nap.

She has been fantastic ever since.

But, honestly, if you are doing basically vanilla bookings, then you could do it yourself.  If you get a PVP, at least now you have someone to reach out to if there is some sort of problem. 

I know I went back and forth there, but I think it comes down to your personal peace of mind.

I kept the PVP.

Good luck,

After years of booking ourselves, we've switched to using a PVP (based on a friend's recommendation) and she's been wonderful.  No waiting on the phone line from hell.  Able to waive change fees in a single bound!   And she's even called me back within ten minutes...on a Sunday.  😄 

• Like 3

On 11/8/2022 at 6:10 AM, pe4all said:

While I do use a TA for my major bucket-list trips (South Africa, Galapagos, etc.) I always use my pvp to book cruises.  I always do my research and know exactly what cabin to book, dining time, bed setup, etc.  If I ever get a promo, or need a change in something, a call or email to her and she gets back to me within the hour and does whatever needs to be done.  

What I just learned during a recent chat with a TA is they were able to save me money by ignoring the cruise line's  'public promo of 75% off the second person' or whatever it was, by combining my residency and another ongoing promo that I didn't know existed. Apparently there are promos that TAs have access to in the booking systems so they can mix and match various promos instead of me just blindly assuming the deal from the cruise line is the best. For me it just makes sense to the use the same TA for everything vs. separating out various types of travel across various types of bookings.

But if it works for you, then keep doing what works! 😀

• Like 2

Me: You pay the price you see, you are responsible for everything.

PVP: Same as Me, but they book it for you with a little help here and there.

TA: Gets you the same price, but better OBC and options like free gratuities. Usually much more attentive to what you want to do or suggestions on things to do or avoid.

• Like 1