all there is too know about grandeur OTS

maxsales

We haven't sailed RCCL in a long time and have never sailed the Grandeur.  All you Grandeur experts out there fill me in.

Best things to do, best places to eat and drink, how's the entertainment?  Just like to know the lay of the land before we board.

Thanks. 

33 minutes ago, maxsales said:

We haven't sailed RCCL in a long time and have never sailed the Grandeur.  All you Grandeur experts out there fill me in.

Best things to do, best places to eat and drink, how's the entertainment?  

Read some Grandeur and/or Enchantment related threads. If you have some more specific, ask. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxsales said:

Best things to do, best places to eat and drink, how's the entertainment?  Just like to know the lay of the land before we board.

Thanks. 

Your best bet would be to research online and on Cruise Critic, then come back with specific questions. We just finished a Grandeur cruise and had a blast. Have a great vacation! 

36 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just curious,  why that ship when there is so many other newer ships to sail on that Royal Caribbean owns?

How else can you come back here and complain about the lack of entertainment and food choices if you go bigger and newer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, maxsales said:

Thanks. 

Just curious why you picked Grandeur when there are literally close to two dozen RCI ships that are much nicer. 

• Like 1

Nicer in what way?

I want to cruise on a ship.  Not a floating amusement park with 6000 people.

Just because you like the newer ships doesn't mean everyone does.

When she was sailing out of Baltimore, she made almost every sailing at 105% or high capacity.  So I am not alone in enjoying her.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just curious why you picked Grandeur when there are literally close to two dozen RCI ships that are much nicer. 

date and price with more emphasis on price.  Just curious as to why you think the GOST isn't nice?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just curious,  why that ship when there is so many other newer ships to sail on that Royal Caribbean owns?

We cruise every year on 3-4 different classes.

This year was Anthem, Enchantment, Oasis, Adventure and soon Anthem again.

Because we pick ships where we don't need to fly most of the time. We like to have certain itineraries.

Grandeur (now Enchantment) does 12 days deep Caribbeans from Baltimore.

We like Oasis and Anthem entertainment, but also like entertainment on smaller ships.. Tons of music everywhere during evenings. Changing entertainment in Main theater daily.

Everything is so close and this is very convenient.

After you sailed on large ships many times you understand that you do not need all features large ships have.

Oh.. and during the last several years we fell in love with Crown Viking Lounge, especially now that we are Diamond Plus and have beautiful views with nice snacks and drinks while sailing away.  This is a video I made about Enchantment (similar size, but it has Boleros)  We LOVE all ocean views we get on smaller ships!

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Not that you asked me but I actually prefer the smaller ships. I only book Oasis Class occasionally when cruising with friends or family. I don't see myself EVER booking/cruising on Icon... Looks like a kiddieland on steroids. 
I book for the itinerary, the ship is secondary...

• Like 6

We sailed on the Grandeur out of Barbados last December and thought the staff were really nice and friendly.  Being that it was the height of Omicron and a mess for us getting to the ship in Barbados with that dreaded testing and our hateful experience, the ship and staff made it worthwhile.  Since it was port intensive, I didn't care if there was bells and whistles.  The Diamond lounge was a great gathering place and the friendliest out of 5 we have visited since becoming Diamond.  I don't know when you are sailing.  It was actually my favorite ship after the Celebrity Summit.  

• Like 1

We definitely prefer the smaller ships.    Radiance class (Serenade) is our favorite but we also like Grandeur.   We have sailed on Grandeur several times when she was out of Baltimore.     

We were scheduled to do a sailing last February out of Barbados on Grandeur but with all the extra hoops to get into Barbados due to covid, we cancelled.    I was so looking forward to sailing on her and visiting some new islands the larger ships don't seem to go to. 

Sure the cabins are a bit smaller and ship is older but the crew is amazing and you receive much better service, personal attention then you do with the larger ships, IMO.    Also much nicer views from various locations, restaurants, etc. inside the ship.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, maxsales said:

date and price with more emphasis on price.  Just curious as to why you think the GOST isn't nice?

I didn’t mean to imply Grandeur wasn’t nice, I have a 9 day cruise booked on her early next year. I was just curious why you picked Grandeur, which you answered, after being away from RCI for awhile.  

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The Grandeur is one of our favorite ships.We cruised 4 consecutive years in the month of December always in the same OV cabin.I was partially disabled and could not get to the Fitness Center because the elevator did not go up to that floor .One of the crew members offered me the opportunity to use the gym for the high ranking officers.

The food was great as was the staff.

• Like 2

I sailed Grandeur in September, it was a fun relaxing ship for my girls trip.  The staff was friendly, but the ship was no where near as "active" as the larger ships.  If you are looking for a laid back cruise with less glitz and polish than the bigger ships you will have a great time.  I really liked hanging out in the Viking Crown Lounge at night before it became a nightclub.  We got to know one of the bartenders, Darrel, and he was amazing.  The only slightly annoying thing about VCL is there is a broken light fixture that vibrates and makes a rattling noise.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tatka said:

We cruise every year on 3-4 different classes.

This year was Anthem, Enchantment, Oasis, Adventure and soon Anthem again.

Because we pick ships where we don't need to fly most of the time. We like to have certain itineraries.

Grandeur (now Enchantment) does 12 days deep Caribbeans from Baltimore.

We like Oasis and Anthem entertainment, but also like entertainment on smaller ships.. Tons of music everywhere during evenings. Changing entertainment in Main theater daily.

Everything is so close and this is very convenient.

After you sailed on large ships many times you understand that you do not need all features large ships have.

Oh.. and during the last several years we fell in love with Crown Viking Lounge, especially now that we are Diamond Plus and have beautiful views with nice snacks and drinks while sailing away.  This is a video I made about Enchantment (similar size, but it has Boleros)  We LOVE all ocean views we get on smaller ships!

Oh you're on the same cruise as me.  You actually caught me in one of your videos, though I only noticed because I knew where I was in the Diamond Lounge looking down onto the Viking Crown Lounge when you were coming in on the St. Kitts video of yours.

I would say a ship like Grandeur or any vision class is probably more suited for a Mediterranean cruise where the itinerary is more port intensive and you are really mostly on the ship during dinner and evening shows but for Caribbean or Bahamas cruises that tend to have more sea days and more relaxing in general I need a bigger ship with the bells and whistles.  

7 hours ago, RandomUser123 said:

I need a bigger ship with the bells and whistles.  

Royal has this thing about a "Cruise Vacation" with a lot of features. 

I'm old school so like a lot of days to reconnect with being at sea.  So a chair and a book on the walk around teak promenade deck.  Hearing and seeing the ocean.  Limited to no crowds or lines.  Getting to know the staff/officers.  The cover band was lovely and knew a lot of songs.  A real focus on the Main Dining Room food and service.   A happy and less stressed crew.  Low prices.  My idea, the lower the per day rate the more I can cruise.    Suite level service at steerage rates.  

• Like 6

We are going on the Lady G in February and this is my first time on a small ship. We dont care about all the water features but we do want a relaxing environment and good food. We have an owners suite and we thought for  the price it was a good deal. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

You got a good deal on a suite because typically the smaller ships are more affordable.  They don’t have all the fancy bells and whistles.  No CK for dining. No Genies.  She does have a suite lounge. 

She does have great service, good entertainment, good food although fewer choices and she goes to better itineraries.  And she can be as relaxing as you want her to be with lots of ocean views.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

You got a good deal on a suite because typically the smaller ships are more affordable.  They don’t have all the fancy bells and whistles.  No CK for dining. No Genies.  She does have a suite lounge. 

She does have great service, good entertainment, good food although fewer choices and she goes to better itineraries.  And she can be as relaxing as you want her to be with lots of ocean views.  

Thank you!

21 hours ago, ramja96 said:

Does the fitness center on Grandeur have showers?  Asking in case the shower curtain in our tiny stateroom shower gets on my nerves.

I think it did.  I vaguely remember walking up steps to fitness center and before the steps the womens locker room was there with showers.  

• Thanks 1