train travel in Europe for seniors

Markanddonna

We were hoping to do a bit of train travel once we arrived in Europe.  I've only taken day trips on European trains and the experience was very positive.  

We want to travel from Prague to Krakow and then from Rzeszow, Poland to Warsaw. My question is, how easy is it to handle your own luggage and where is it stored?

I took a regular train from the Port of Haifa, switched in Tel Aviv, and then got off in Jerusalem.  That was supposed to be easy and fortunately CCs helped me with the logistics. It was the very demanding physical aspects of this journey that were tough. The Port at Haifa is perhaps one of the worst to schlep one's luggage through. Then, the trains were generally very crowded, no room for luggage, and even carry-ons didn't fit overhead. Backpacks generally fit. There were several steps in each train car.  I would never do that again!

I am thinking trains between the big cities might be a better experience. 

We have done carry on only trips by train around Europe a few times, and have a carry on only trip scheduled for June 2023, which will involve AMS-Paris, then regional and local trains to Bayeux and Reims. 

We have also trained in Italy...Rome-Venice-Florence-Cinque Terre, then back to Rome, as well as Paris-London. Our bags have always gone with us, usually in the overhead, but once or twice at the rear of the car. In that case, we carry a bike lock style cable lock to secure the bags.

We were in our 50s and 60s, now this coming trip will be 60s and 70s. I wouldn't be able to convince DW to do these if we were dragging checked bags. 

• Like 3

Europeans do not travel with the amount of luggage that Americans seem to; and European trains aren't really made to deal with large bags.

Almost every train I've boarded in Europe has a few steps up (into the carriage); however, I've not used the trains in Poland or the Czech Republic. One strategy people use is to have one person stand at the top of the steps and the other one (on the platform) hands the bags up to them until all of them are on board.  You MUST be able to tote your own luggage around though; this is one of the reasons I learned to pack lighter as a solo -- because I like to use the trains to get around. Not sure porters exist anywhere, except possibly on some of the special private trains (e.g., like the Orient Express).

If you travel with a carry-on that is the maximum size and width allowed by airlines, it most likely won't fit in the rack above you -- think of that as more like what Americans consider a personal item -- a backpack or briefcase.

There is usually some storage for larger bags somewhere in the train carriage. It may be by the doors, in the middle of the carriage or occasionally between the sets of seats. The racks by the doors are concerning as it would potentially be easy for someone else to walk off with your bag -- hence the mention by cruiserbruce of using a bicycle lock to secure bags. If I'm only going to be on the train for a couple of hours, I will study the plans and try to reserve a seat near the luggage so I can also keep an eye on my bag if needed. (On longer trips that's not always ideal as people tend to congregate near the doors and it can be annoying if you're trying to read or work or nap....

I know you like to research things. The website below is EXCELLENT for orienting yourself to travel by train. The information is provided by country (at least for Europe) and goes into great detail on the trains themselves -- often there are even photos of the types of set-ups you'll find in the various 1st or 2nd class cabins.

https://www.seat61.com/

One other word of advice:  the 4-wheel rollers or "gliders" do not work very well when doing this type of travel as you may find yourself toting them over cobblestones in cities, city streets, and all kinds of terrain getting from hotel to train station to hotel.  Better to find a bag with two good, sturdy wheels, the equivalent of off-roading wheels for suitcases. 

(Also, if you are planning to take an overnight trip, that's a whole 'nuther thing. Research getting a sleeper room, I can't think at the moment what they are called but it's a private room with seating that makes into a bed for night, with or without a teeny-tiny bathroom.  Still not a LOT of room in them for large bags....)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We have done carry on only trips by train around Europe a few times, and have a carry on only trip scheduled for June 2023, which will involve AMS-Paris, then regional and local trains to Bayeux and Reims. 

We have also trained in Italy...Rome-Venice-Florence-Cinque Terre, then back to Rome, as well as Paris-London. Our bags have always gone with us, usually in the overhead, but once or twice at the rear of the car. In that case, we carry a bike lock style cable lock to secure the bags.

We were in our 50s and 60s, now this coming trip will be 60s and 70s. I wouldn't be able to convince DW to do these if we were dragging checked bags. 

We have also done a fair amount of travel by train in Switzerland, Italy, and Spain.   I admit I spent a little time wondering if I should worry about our bags at the back of the car.   Cable lock could be a good idea, but sometimes the way bags are stacked up, they could be an issue, IDK. 

OP - you already are familiar with using the European system.  If crowding is an issue, it is worthwhile to consider first class cars.  I assume they have those in the routes you are considering.  

In order to use trains in Europe, you must be able to handle all of your own luggage (and maintain personal security from pick pockets/luggage snatchers/etc.  Depending on the train station and platforms you may need to walk a long distance to get to your train and possibly need to lift luggage up some steps.  On the train there is usually some storage space at the end of the cars and also overhead racks (not wide enough for larger bags).  If you plan on leaving your luggage at the end of the cars we suggest taking along some kind of luggage cable lock (you can find these on line) that you can use to attach luggage to each other and to the train.  Thieves have been known to snatch luggage and jump off the train at stations so a little caution is always wise.

Last Spring we flew from Nice up to Prague and spent a few lovely days.  We than rented a car (for a few weeks) and drove through parts of the Czech Republic and over to Krakow.  We have found that a car is, for us, a better option than trains since it makes handling luggage a little easier and gives us the flexibility to go where we please.  When in cities we generally leave our car at the hotel and use public transit as well as do a lot of walking.  Both Prague and Krakow are wonderful cities.  I also recommend taking a day trip from Krakow to Auschwitz.  

Hank

• Like 2

Having carryon-size is pretty mandatory for train travel.  Unless you are going first class, you may end up having to sit with your bag in your leg/foot space.  I had to do this once this summer - Paris to Marseille.  fortunately, I can still "pretzel up" and just used my bag as part of the seat.   At the stations, besides a potential long trek to your platform, you may have to walk up/down a flight of stairs so you need to be able to drag your bag.  

Example of luggage storage on a train below.  My travel companion, Moose, is keeping watch.  None of those bags were mine - mine was in the seat next to me. 

xDy5zeg3TAy2LA4Xfno2Dg.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Europeans do not travel with the amount of luggage that Americans seem to; and European trains aren't really made to deal with large bags.

Almost every train I've boarded in Europe has a few steps up (into the carriage); however, I've not used the trains in Poland or the Czech Republic. One strategy people use is to have one person stand at the top of the steps and the other one (on the platform) hands the bags up to them until all of them are on board.  You MUST be able to tote your own luggage around though; this is one of the reasons I learned to pack lighter as a solo -- because I like to use the trains to get around. Not sure porters exist anywhere, except possibly on some of the special private trains (e.g., like the Orient Express).

If you travel with a carry-on that is the maximum size and width allowed by airlines, it most likely won't fit in the rack above you -- think of that as more like what Americans consider a personal item -- a backpack or briefcase.

There is usually some storage for larger bags somewhere in the train carriage. It may be by the doors, in the middle of the carriage or occasionally between the sets of seats. The racks by the doors are concerning as it would potentially be easy for someone else to walk off with your bag -- hence the mention by cruiserbruce of using a bicycle lock to secure bags. If I'm only going to be on the train for a couple of hours, I will study the plans and try to reserve a seat near the luggage so I can also keep an eye on my bag if needed. (On longer trips that's not always ideal as people tend to congregate near the doors and it can be annoying if you're trying to read or work or nap....

I know you like to research things. The website below is EXCELLENT for orienting yourself to travel by train. The information is provided by country (at least for Europe) and goes into great detail on the trains themselves -- often there are even photos of the types of set-ups you'll find in the various 1st or 2nd class cabins.

https://www.seat61.com/

One other word of advice:  the 4-wheel rollers or "gliders" do not work very well when doing this type of travel as you may find yourself toting them over cobblestones in cities, city streets, and all kinds of terrain getting from hotel to train station to hotel.  Better to find a bag with two good, sturdy wheels, the equivalent of off-roading wheels for suitcases. 

(Also, if you are planning to take an overnight trip, that's a whole 'nuther thing. Research getting a sleeper room, I can't think at the moment what they are called but it's a private room with seating that makes into a bed for night, with or without a teeny-tiny bathroom.  Still not a LOT of room in them for large bags....)

Would those sleeper rooms be also known as couchettes?

We travel with a big bag, a carryon and a computer backpack each.  We've tried packing light, we don't like it.  Took a train out of Paris for the Riviera years ago, it was a nightmare.  Train station was wall-to-wall people, we could barely figure out which car to board, everything was rushed, then you have to leave your bags unattended by the train doors.  Never again!  But I do understand that first class training might be better, so I'm going to check that out.  

I am 81 and my wife is 79.  We did two train trips in Europe recently which were our first European train trips .  One from Charles de Gaulle to Lyon (1st class) and one from Avignon to Charles de Gaulle (2nd class).  Everything that everyone has said is true.  It was frustrating. It was hard to figure out where your car was going to stop.  The train was crowded.  The luggage issues that have been mentioned are true.  We had to argue with someone who was in our reserved seat.  Also since we were in France where nobody will admit that they speak some English (at least some of the French people must speak some English) so we couldn't ask anyone a question.  I guess that the last sentence is a bit of an exaggeration since we always eventually found someone who would help us.

That said - we did get on our trains.  The trains were fast and comfortable.  We got to our destinations. Our bags were not stolen.   Our pickup points and drop-off points were in a city center and not far away at an airport.  In fact since we were leaving from Charles de Gaulle and returning to the same airport the train station was actually at the airport.   No security checks  and we did not have to get to the train station 1 1/2 hours before the train left.  It was an interesting experience.  Would I do it again - maybe depending upon the circumstances.  Who knows.

BTW - Cruisemom42 made a comment about 2 wheel bags versus 4 wheel rollers.  I agree w her completely.  I have a 2 wheel bag.  My wife has a 4 wheeler which I hate.   The problem is that most of the bags they sell today are 4 wheelers as they have convinced people that they are better than the 2 wheelers.

DON

• Like 3

Note on figuring out where your car is going to stop:  There is frequently a light board that shows a line with car#s on it and alphabet letter above it.  The letters correspond to the letters hanging overhead on the platform.  I never knew about this until this year.  I've gotten pretty good at the train thing - you have to be a little assertive to make your way down the platform as others are getting off the train.  On one of my trips this summer, I was definitely the last person on the train!!  

• Like 1

Great advice from everyone...yes, pack smart and light.

Just reminiscing...fond memories of my backpacking trip all over Europe almost 40 years ago...a Eurail pass, a Frommer's guide book, and a passion for travel.

* Glad I took high school French and learned a bit of Spanish working along side migrant workers picking fruits as a teen.

* Couchettes...I slept on the top bunk bed (yes, 2nd class, 6 bunks)...Paris to Nice...the other bunk beds were empty, until woman came in and took the top bunk bed directly across me. She spoke French (which I couldn't translate)...next thing I see, she takes all her clothes off and went to sleep...fond memories.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

We travel with a big bag, a carryon and a computer backpack each.  We've tried packing light, we don't like it.  Took a train out of Paris for the Riviera years ago, it was a nightmare.  Train station was wall-to-wall people, we could barely figure out which car to board, everything was rushed, then you have to leave your bags unattended by the train doors.  Never again!  But I do understand that first class training might be better, so I'm going to check that out.  

If you're not willing to pack light, I doubt if first class is going to make much of a difference. You still have to tote your own bags on and off and find a place for them. First class may have SLIGHTLY more luggage space but in my experience not that much more...

There are a lot of tools now, like the site I gave above, that help you know what to expect include figuring out where to look on your train (and on your ticket) to find your carriage number, and so on.

Regarding issues other than luggage, it's a learning curve, just like anything else. Once you've done it a few times, it gets easier. The process doesn't differ that much from country to country, at least not in Europe. I wish we had better passenger rail systems in the US!

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

Also regarding first class vs. second class train coaches -- US travelers need to understand that there is NOT the steep difference between 1st and 2nd class carriages on trains that exists between, say, first class and regular cabins on airlines. You get a bit more room (wider seats, fewer seats per car) but not much more.  

In Italy, at least, when fares are first released for routes (only 3-4 months before travel usually), there can be some very good fares for 1st class. If that's the case and the difference in cost is minimal, I'll buy first class, especially if I'm going to be on the train for more than an hour or two.

(Note: I'm talking mostly about the mid- to longer distance trains. The fast trains used on many of these longer journeys are generally pleasant.  The commuter-type trains are a different story and can be crowded and a real free-for-all. Definitely need to be more observant and careful on these trains for pickpockets and luggage thieves.)

13 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Great advice from everyone...yes, pack smart and light.

Just reminiscing...fond memories of my backpacking trip all over Europe almost 40 years ago...a Eurail pass, a Frommer's guide book, and a passion for travel.

* Glad I took high school French and learned a bit of Spanish working along side migrant workers picking fruits as a teen.

* Couchettes...I slept on the top bunk bed (yes, 2nd class, 6 bunks)...Paris to Nice...the other bunk beds were empty, until woman came in and took the top bunk bed directly across me. She spoke French (which I couldn't translate)...next thing I see, she takes all her clothes off and went to sleep...fond memories.

And then you went to Nice and slept at the beach and woke up in heaven. 😊

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Genuinely hoping we cross paths someday...we'll have lots of stories to share and talk about.:classic_smile:

Our next booked cruise is on the NCL Prima August 6th next year, London (Southampton to Reykjavik).

A truly great itinerary 😊, but no topless beaches. 😒

A few random thoughts from one in his mid 70s.  While I guess that makes me a "senior,"  like many seniors I can handle walking many miles a day, handling my luggage, etc.  Look around cruise ships and you will find many younger folks using an elevator to go down one deck while plenty of "seniors" will be using the steps to go up 4 or 5 decks.  So this train issue is more about a person's or couple's mobility level and their ability to handle luggage.  

As a long time (over half a century) independent traveler, I am very cognizant of the luggage issue.  It should be a major consideration for any traveler.  One needs to have the ability to always keep luggage under control (to maintain security).  Relying on strangers or porters to help with your luggage will get mixed results with some very bag outcomes.  That being said, DW and pack "heavy" since we can handle a few pieces of luggage and love the convenience of having more clothes options and not having to do laundry when we travel.  On long trips (which we measure in months) we actually give some thought to how we will handle laundry issues (we often get free laundry service on cruises). DW and I do not consider spending hours in a laundry room, washing stuff in a sink, etc. as what we do on vacations :).  If carrying an extra piece of luggage means not having to do laundry, we will usually opt for the extra luggage :).  I mention this because the idea of packing light sounds wonderful, but we have seen folks spending an awful lot of time waiting around cruise ship laundromats (many ships no longer have this option) which is not my idea of fun.  While you are waiting for a dryer, or ironing your shirts, we will be sitting in a lounge enjoying a cocktail :).  

The price we pay (for extra luggage) is having to move it around and that is not too difficult in this era of wheeled luggage.

Hank

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Our next booked cruise is on the NCL Prima August 6th next year, London (Southampton to Reykjavik).

A truly great itinerary 😊, but no topless beaches. 😒

Sailed from Copenhagen (this past Sept) with a stop in Reykjavik...my beautiful wife looked for the Northern Lights every night...unsucessful, too much fog. 2 days in Iceland...visited and soaked in the relaxing hot springs at the Blue Lagoon then had a wonderful "Golden Circle" excursion the second day. 

* Currently onboard the Navigator...Mexican Riviera sailing...also onboard for Christmas/NY.

Next year, Brisbane to Vancouver (spring). Singapore to Tokyo (summer), Barcelona to Fl (fall).

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The price we pay (for extra luggage) is having to move it around and that is not too difficult in this era of wheeled luggage.

I think the key is just to fully understand that if you bring the luggage, YOU are responsible for it. There is no one to help you.

And that includes being prepared to go up and down stairs in stations where the elevators are not working (with luggage in tow), walk a distance equal to several city blocks to get to the train in some major stations, etc.

If you're willing to tote it, bring as much as you like.

I don't pack super light, I do like to have choices. But I do not (yet) travel for such long periods as you do.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, cruisemom42 said:

If you're not willing to pack light, I doubt if first class is going to make much of a difference. You still have to tote your own bags on and off and find a place for them. First class may have SLIGHTLY more luggage space but in my experience not that much more...

There are a lot of tools now, like the site I gave above, that help you know what to expect include figuring out where to look on your train (and on your ticket) to find your carriage number, and so on.

Regarding issues other than luggage, it's a learning curve, just like anything else. Once you've done it a few times, it gets easier. The process doesn't differ that much from country to country, at least not in Europe. I wish we had better passenger rail systems in the US!

I, unfortunately, don't pack light.  While 1st class may not have much more luggage space, I find it has less luggage in those spaces because there are fewer passengers.   I do agree with your previous comment about it being less useful for lengthy routes.   

They have "smart" luggage that follows you.  Kind of like motorized pull carts on the golf course.  The batteries and motor must make them heavy and I don't know who well they would do on cobbles.   But, I really don't know much about them.   

A good friend has mobility issues and cannot handle her luggage alone.   She is getting one of the smart luggages.  Because someone is always there to help her, we told her no need, but she feels guilty.  

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Sailed from Copenhagen (this past Sept) with a stop in Reykjavik...my beautiful wife looked for the Northern Lights every night...unsucessful, too much fog. 2 days in Iceland...visited and soaked in the relaxing hot springs at the Blue Lagoon then had a wonderful "Golden Circle" excursion the second day. 

* Currently onboard the Navigator...Mexican Riviera sailing...also onboard for Christmas/NY.

Next year, Brisbane to Vancouver (spring). Singapore to Tokyo (summer), Barcelona to Fl (fall).

We did a land vacation in Reykjavik. We went on a Northern Lights excursion, and at first it seemed like we would miss out on them. Then there were some, but not the real spectacular ones. The guide said the bad news now is you no longer get to do this free tomorrow night. And then on our bus back to Reykjavik, there were much better Nothern Light sightings.

The cruise I mentioned we have booked has an overnight in Reykjavik before disembarking from there. DW said we missed the Blue Lagoon last time in Iceland, so that is what she wants us to see that day.

• Like 1