Chic vs. Casual

ggo85

We haven’t cruised X for 5 years. While we can read the definitions for the dress code, in practice, what is the difference? I’m more interested in men’s wear as it’s easy for a woman to wear a dressier top.  For example, do most men wear jackets?   But I’ll take any advice.  This is for Caribbean and Central America, if that makes a difference.  

8 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

We haven’t cruised X for 5 years. While we can read the definitions for the dress code, in practice, what is the difference? I’m more interested in men’s wear as it’s easy for a woman to wear a dressier top.  For example, do most men wear jackets?   But I’ll take any advice.  This is for Caribbean and Central America, if that makes a difference.  

Here's the suggested dress guideline for the evening in the MDR. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/onboard-dress-code

• Like 2

I wear a sports coat and kakhis.   Occasionally a tie.  I will be dressier than most, especially if I wear a tie. 

There will be others in nice blue jeans and t-shirts.  Pretty much anything goes except shorts, ripped jeans and objectionable t-shirts.

The longer the cruise, the older and dressier the cruisers.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We don’t wear jeans to dinner, for DH the difference is casual = polo shirt, chic= long sleeve shirt no tie, no jacket.

A similar approach for me. Depending on the itinerary, I may wear shorts and a polo shirt in the morning and afternoon, and change to dress pants with a dress shirt for dinner.   Most evenings, looking at me you don't know if its casual or chic night.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ggo85 said:

Thanks. I read the guidelines and they seemed mostly the same. Hence my question.  If my DH wears a jacket on chic night, will he look out of place?

No.  I am sure he would not be the only one wearing a jacket. 

• Thanks 1

Most men don’t wear sports jackets.  If you like wearing one, do it. I have seen a vast array of types of dress on recent cruises.  Some people do dress up. Most are more casual than before the pandemic.  On Summit, lots of people wore shorts in the MDR at dinner. Wear whatever you want.  You may be surprised at what people wear to dinner. Few people dress up for chic nights. The world is casual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

Thanks. I read the guidelines and they seemed mostly the same. Hence my question.  If my DH wears a jacket on chic night, will he look out of place?

On my recent BTB (19 days) on Constellation in the Med, I counted on one of the "chic" nights and on average about one man in 5 was wearing a jacket (some were suits, most were not).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I wear a sports coat and kakhis.   Occasionally a tie.  I will be dressier than most, especially if I wear a tie. 

There will be others in nice blue jeans and t-shirts.  Pretty much anything goes except shorts, ripped jeans and objectionable t-shirts.

The longer the cruise, the older and dressier the cruisers.

3 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Most men don’t wear sports jackets.  If you like wearing one, do it. I have seen a vast array of types of dress on recent cruises.  Some people do dress up. Most are more casual than before the pandemic.  On Summit, lots of people wore shorts in the MDR at dinner. Wear whatever you want.  You may be surprised at what people wear to dinner. Few people dress up for chic nights. The world is casual.

Wear what you feel good in.  DH will wear a tux on Chic nights because I want to wear a long gown (and it's fun for me to see the ladies who approach him with comments like "wish my spouse would dress like you"...yup as recent as this past August cruise.  What fun!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

If someone wears shorts to dinner and does not feel out of place, why would DH feel out of place wearing a jacket? More importantly, why do you care? 
Be yourself and be happy.

Maybe she wants her husband to fit in.  Nothing wrong with that.  Many people don't want to stick out.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SusieAV8R said:

Wear what you feel good in.  DH will wear a tux on Chic nights because I want to wear a long gown (and it's fun for me to see the ladies who approach him with comments like "wish my spouse would dress like you"...yup as recent as this past August cruise.  What fun!)

I plan on wearing my tux on my Silhouette cruise to the Caribbean.  On casual nights I'll go casual.  On chic nights I'm getting dressed up.  I just feel good when I'm dressed up!  This is just my opinion, but I think the cruise lines made a mistake by getting rid of formal nights!  Again, just my opinion.

Elvis

• Like 5

No way you can “fit in” when there is so much disparity among the crowd. There will be many different clothing options around you.
You have to be comfortable with what you are, and be confident with your own choices. If one wants to wear a sports jacket, no one is going to care or judge.

13 hours ago, ggo85 said:

I think if he feels comfortable and happy wearing a jacket, does it matter if only 10% are wearing a jacket? 
Many are trying to down size packing.  Many simply don’t want to wear a jacket or the climate is warmer and choose not.

Since the dress code changed from formal nights to chic, we have noticed very few dressed up regardless of itinerary.  But it’s certainly ok, if that’s what personally works.  
I think he’ll be fine. 

• Like 1

We are just off the Edge and we both dressed up EVERY night!  DH wore a jacket each night but the last and did not feel out of place.  I was pleasantly surprised that most dressed very nicely especially on chic nights. Dress in what makes you feel the most elevated.  

• Like 3

On the Equinox last year in August, I saw very few men in jackets or suits, it was so very hot in the Caribbean. On the Reflection this year in the Med, many more men in suits and formal wear, but we had a much higher percentage of people from the UK and Europe.  For me, I retired all of my jackets and suits when I retired in 2020 and on all cruises, my dress up night is khaki or golf pants and a button up shirt like one of my nice Tommy Bahama Hawaiin shirts. Most other nights, it is still long pants and either a polo or golf shirts to a button up shirt. I never wear shorts in any dining room on a cruise for the evening.

I cruise on X on average a two sailings per quarter, so far have not cruised Europe since the restart.  Incredibly rare to see tuxs and gowns and even jackets are fairly rare.  You'll probably see the same thing we see, some in shorts, others in TShirts and others in rash guards every night including Chic night.  It seems their standard policy is to let the folks dine and if someone complains then they'll ask them to not wear the offending item next time.  This is at Blu, the MDR and specialty restaurants.  The only thing I've ever seen them enforce is removing their hat yet have seen some put their hat back on after they sit down

16 hours ago, ggo85 said:

Not at all. On chic nights in the Med there are a lot that take Tux's or lounge suits. As we are flying from UK and staying in FL after our Caribbean cruise, hubby will not take either Tux or Lounge suit this year. Smart trousers and shirt, maybe a tie.

Edited by Tipsy252

I used to pack for DH a jacket, ties, long sleeve dress shirts and a nicer pair of trousers and shoes. During our covid cruises.. I dropped the jacket and ties and for myself I dropped the cocktail dress and various heal options in favor of nice ankle slacks with Chico type flowy tops... which I wear regardless of if the night is chic or casual. At this stage of my life.. I try to lighten up the packing as much as I can...while still having a fresh look. Odds are you will never see these people again...

• Like 2