Is it really acceptable to treat single travellers like this?

iandjm

Hi all.

I frequently cruise with Celebrity Cruises as a solo traveller. I appreciate and understand we pay twice in order to have our own stateroom unless a single room is available. Since celebrity have separated the all inclusive fares you are quoted a price for the stateroom and an add on supplement to have drinks tips and WiFi included at a rate for the entire cruise. For example £400 per person.  Sadly, in the case of the single traveller, we are made to pay the same supplement for drinks, tips and Wi-Fi as two people.  So I would also be expected to pay £800 extra.  Surely this cannot be right and is blatant discrimination against single travellers?
Oddly enough 
if a single room is available you only are expected to pay one supplement for the drinks tips and WiFi add on ie £400.
Surely paying twice for the stateroom if occupying a regular room should cover the fact you are a single traveller, and you should not be hit again by having to pay double supplement for what is one persons drinks tips and WiFi?

I have been in contact with the Celebrity cruises Executive office and they seemed surprised but have not done anything about it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Could you share with us their “surprised” response and who sent it?

It was a phone call sadly which removes all evidence. I did follow it up with another call but nothing has happened since.  

I was in contact with the Executive Office about my moms serious bathtub fall in a Celebrity Suite on Summit. They said they were “surprised” to hear about how high the tub wall was as they had “never” (seriously!) heard it was a problem before. 🙄

I have decided that being surprised is their immediate response to all concerns. 

Edited by Beachlover1989
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Not agreeing with them at all but maybe they would say that they’d get the £800 if two were in the room so you have to pay the same.

Sadly, that sums up their thinking. It’s a bit like me going into a restaurant on my own and being made to pay for two peoples drinks. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, iandjm said:

Hi all.

I frequently cruise with Celebrity Cruises as a solo traveller. I appreciate and understand we pay twice in order to have our own stateroom unless a single room is available. Since celebrity have separated the all inclusive fares you are quoted a price for the stateroom and an add on supplement to have drinks tips and WiFi included at a rate for the entire cruise. For example £400 per person.  Sadly, in the case of the single traveller, we are made to pay the same supplement for drinks, tips and Wi-Fi as two people.  So I would also be expected to pay £800 extra.  Surely this cannot be right and is blatant discrimination against single travellers?
Oddly enough 
if a single room is available you only are expected to pay one supplement for the drinks tips and WiFi add on ie £400.
Surely paying twice for the stateroom if occupying a regular room should cover the fact you are a single traveller, and you should not be hit again by having to pay double supplement for what is one persons drinks tips and WiFi?

I have been in contact with the Celebrity cruises Executive office and they seemed surprised but have not done anything about it. 

I agree totally unfair but fortunately the introduction of Sail Only rates has partly solved your problem at least in respect of the drinks and internet.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I agree totally unfair but fortunately the introduction of Sail Only rates has partly solved your problem at least in respect of the drinks and internet.

100% agree and if the OP is sailing often solo, they receive double CC points and once they make elite will receive the 5-7pm happy hour which makes things a little bit easier

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

100% agree and if the OP is sailing often solo, they receive double CC points and once they make elite will receive the 5-7pm happy hour which makes things a little bit easier

I agree. It’s a nice work around but I still have a problem with the blatant discrimination.  I would like to be able to have the full drinks package. Tips and WiFi included at the promotional rate , as offered to everyone else, without having to pay double for it.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Celebrity could fix this problem if they wanted to.  Obviously, they don't.  Extra revenue to them.

Another solo cruiser.

Shameful isn’t it. When I book Azamara it won’t be extra revenue for them 😁

Edited by iandjm
  • Like 2

Sail Only rates don't apply for Aqua Class right? So if you want to sail that class solo I guess you don't have a choice!! 😞 My DH passed away in March and I am now looking at the single rates and it does seem very unfair!! 😞

5 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

I was in contact with the Executive Office about my moms serious bathtub fall in a Celebrity Suite on Summit. They said they were “surprised” to hear about how high the tub wall was as they had “never” (seriously!) heard it was a problem before. 🙄

I have decided that being surprised is their immediate response to all concerns. 

The other is “I understand”. 

My response is ‘No you don’t understand.   If you did you would take care of the issue.”  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

10 minutes ago, miched said:

The other is “I understand”. 

My response is ‘No you don’t understand.   If you did you would take care of the issue.”  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

They are trying to show empathy for goodness sake, they don’t make the rules. They can’t take care of the issue, decisions made at a far higher level than the person on the phone or answering an email 

Happy complaining 

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

I’m curious to know if you purchase the package onboard might they just charge for the one person, or would your seapass card flag up that you are a solo traveller and still charge double?  

You're not able to add AI onboard. You can add the individual components like the wifi and drink package. No way they would charge you double onboard for these items.

5 hours ago, iandjm said:

Hi all.

Oddly enough 

I agree that this is an issue they should look into. They would have to modify their rate code system to allow for AI to be added to a solo traveler in a 2+ occupancy room.

FYI, recently they increased the price of booking at the all included rate effectively making the AI not worthwhile unless you plan on utilizing both the internet and drinks package.

Also take into account that many people don't even come out "ahead" with the drink package.

Moral of the story, you're not missing out on much if anything by not having an AI rate for 1 and you always have the option of adding these items on pre-cruise if you want.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Sail Only rates don't apply for Aqua Class right? So if you want to sail that class solo I guess you don't have a choice!! 😞 My DH passed away in March and I am now looking at the single rates and it does seem very unfair!! 😞

Agreed that this does pose an issue for solo travelers on Aqua rooms or higher.

• Like 1

I've paid double for over a decade.  Thought I'd hit the jackpot in 2013 when I got a 150% supplement.  It used to really frost me to pay double for tips, wifi, and bevs and only receive the use of one wifi.  Then about 5 yrs ago, they started giving double-paying solos both of the wifis.  Big woo.  Finally now, with sail only rates, I only need to pay double for the cabin.  Of course, that eliminates aqua and suites altogether.  However, since aft-facing cabins are my favorites, I can live with that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

Aqua class are now Sail Only rates, well they were when I was investigating prices recently.

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I think it is unfair that solo cruisers have to pay for 2 beverage packages and 2 WiFi connections. I'm not so sure about the gratuities.

I don't mind the gratuities part, although I always give generous extra tips.  That money is at least going to the hard-working crew.

• Like 5