Upcoming Change - No Longer can just 1 passenger purchase a beverage package.

jelayne

I just stumbled on this in the FAQs.  Celebrity is making changes to the beverage packages which will be effective 12/19.  The package limits are changing, guessing drink prices will increase, and possibly some shuffling of liquors and wines covered in each package.

The clear change I noted in the FAQs.  No longer will only 1 passenger in a cabin be able to purchase a beverage package.  All passengers who are of drinking age must purchase a package.  Maybe too much package sharing being detected ( I have seen it on our recent cruises) and a revenue opportunity.

59BCD9BD-58AB-4E14-8616-4308D5D53A92.thumb.png.d34bbba1948c2d12f648fa1e6ff55bfa.png

Edited by jelayne
Correction
  • Thanks 3

Depends on how much they increase the individual drink prices.

What I'm finding distasteful is the extremely short notice.   I think they should make these types of changes at least 90 days in advance so people can cancel pre penalty if they so choose.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 2

With the increase in price I hope that they will now be able to stock the bars with plenty of the spirits that are included in the package instead of claiming it is a supply issue when they don’t have it.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Maybe too much package sharing being detected

Bingo.

The people who buy one package and then drinks for all of drinking age in their cabins bear the blame for this one.

(And honestly? I hope they have a way to code the cards of those given an addiction or medical based exemption and those of the others in the stateroom so that it's evident if people are claiming that to skirt the system.)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, miched said:

With the increase in price I hope that they will now be able to stock the bars with plenty of the spirits that are included in the package instead of claiming it is a supply issue when they don’t have it.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We found on our cruise in October there were fewer beverages not stocked than in the Spring and Summer. Our sailing at the beginning of this month everything we asked for was available although not at every bar.  Having said that I will say we are not bourbon drinkers so that may still be a problem.

13 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Bingo.

The people who buy one package and then drinks for all of drinking age in their cabins bear the blame for this one.

(And honestly? I hope they have a way to code the cards of those given an addiction or medical based exemption and those of the others in the stateroom so that it's evident if people are claiming that to skirt the system.)

Doubtful, your only allowed 1 drink per card, you would be walking back and forth to the bar all vacation. 

Just now, Tyler414 said:

Doubtful, your only allowed 1 drink per card, you would be walking back and forth to the bar all vacation. 

I've heard that other lines require you to present all cards if ordering multiple drinks. Not that big of a deal.

And you'd only be walking back and forth "all vacation" if you were sharing the package with someone else. Or have zero desire to remember your vacation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Can only one person still upgrade from Classic? My brother plans on upgrading, but his wife does not. 

Sounds like they are out of luck,  All persons of drinking age must buy the package purchased prior or on board.

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The exceptions say "recovering alcoholic" so if that applies, then there should be an exception. Not sure if "I just decided not to drink" counts though.

I doubt X will cross-examine you to determine if you "just decide not to drink" as opposed to sober (recovering alcoholic).  They will just make either person purchase the Premium Zero Proof Package.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

They will just make either person purchase the Premium Zero Proof Package.

It's stated as being an exception. If one is claiming recovering alcoholic, the other would be able to get the beverage package.

I'd hope they figure out a way to police that so that those claiming an exception absolutely cannot get drinks from the other in the party. Otherwise it may become that the exception goes away OR both would be required to do the non-alc package.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

We found on our cruise in October there were fewer beverages not stocked than in the Spring and Summer. Our sailing at the beginning of this month everything we asked for was available although not at every bar.  Having said that I will say we are not bourbon drinkers so that may still be a problem.

Thanks 

We were in a suite in Oct.   The only bourbons were Makers,  Bulleit, Beam, Jack and rot gut Ten High. 

In Luminae there weren’t many wines available that were in the premium package.  Most were covered by the Classic.  

It was always because of the supply issue.   I thinks the supply issue was Celebrity not wanting to supply it to cut cost as there was Woodford Bourbon available in the duty free shop.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It's stated as being an exception. If one is claiming recovering alcoholic, the other would be able to get the beverage package.

I'd hope they figure out a way to police that so that those claiming an exception absolutely cannot get drinks from the other in the party. Otherwise it may become that the exception goes away OR both would be required to do the non-alc package.

If one wants to purchase a package and the other qualified for a exception then the person with the exception has to get the Zero Proof package.  

13 minutes ago, miched said:

It was always because of the supply issue.   I thinks the supply issue was Celebrity not wanting to supply it to cut cost as there was Woodford Bourbon available in the duty free shop.  

If if has been said once, it's been said a thousand times here on CC.  The Duty Free Shop onboard is a separate entity from Celebrity Cruise Lines supply channel.  Celebrity cannot buy alcohol in the  Duty Free Shop for resale onboard.  Not sure why people keep bringing this up with regard to alcohol available onboard.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

I just stumbled on this in the FAQs.  Celebrity is making changes to the beverage packages which will be effective 12/19.  The package limits are changing, guessing drink prices will increase, and possibly some shuffling of liquors and wines covered in each package.

The clear change I noted in the FAQs.  No longer will only 1 passenger in a cabin be able to purchase a beverage package.  All passengers who are of drinking age must purchase a package.  Maybe too much package sharing being detected ( I have seen it on our recent cruises) and a revenue opportunity.

59BCD9BD-58AB-4E14-8616-4308D5D53A92.thumb.png.d34bbba1948c2d12f648fa1e6ff55bfa.png

death by one thousands little cuts!

• Like 3

This is an interesting new policy.  With the meds that we are both on, we are not supposed to drink alcohol.  However, my husband ignores the restrictions and drinks.  On the other hand, I don't even like alcohol so it is an easy one to refrain from.  It is quite ridiculous that the other passenger must also purchase an alcoholic package unless the person has medical or recovering alcoholic restrictions.  In my case, even if I am not on medical restrictions, I have no interest in drinking alcohol.

• Like 2

@Retired888 Then you simply call or have your husband call and ask for an exemption for yourself claiming a medical condition that prohibits you from consuming alcohol.  Should be able to do that over the phone.  I do not believe HIPPA permits them to ask for proof of medical justification.  

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or medical professional but am basing this on how I interpret what I read in the HIPPA disclosure that my doctor has me sign. 

3 hours ago, Brews'n'Cruise said:

Yes, I just saw that as well, I also noted that they're increasing the drink price limits on the Classic and Premium packages. Classic is up to $10 and Premium is up to $17, so that's good news.

Andy.

Wonder if that has to do with the spiraling inflation cost of all products including alcohol.

I also noticed while onboard that the size of the pastry in OV, Al Bacio have been downsized.