Upcoming Change - No Longer can just 1 passenger purchase a beverage package.

jelayne

48 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

If if has been said once, it's been said a thousand times here on CC.  The Duty Free Shop onboard is a separate entity from Celebrity Cruise Lines supply channel.  Celebrity cannot buy alcohol in the  Duty Free Shop for resale onboard.  Not sure why people keep bringing this up with regard to alcohol available onboard.  

I don’t expect Celebrity to buy it and resell it. But if the Duty Free ship has something, then it is available and the “supply chain” rationale is wearing thin. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mac_tlc said:

I don’t expect Celebrity to buy it and resell it. But if the Duty Free ship has something, then it is available and the “supply chain” rationale is wearing thin. 

Again, it's an apples to oranges comparison.  Different suppliers and thus a different supply chain. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wonder if that has to do with the spiraling inflation cost of all products including alcohol.

I also noticed while onboard that the size of the pastry in OV, Al Bacio have been downsized.

I’m predict that price of drinks and wine will increase accordingly, so the glass of Cattier that is $15 this week will be $17 next week and the $15 martini will now be $17.

I also expect some liquors like Tito’s will move from the Classic package to the Premium package.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Sounds like they are out of luck,  All persons of drinking age must buy the package purchased prior or on board.

Do you have a link for this? What Jelayne posted didn't seem to address this. A person with the Classic package has technically already purchased a drink package. 

3 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Can only one person still upgrade from Classic? My brother plans on upgrading, but his wife does not. 

4 hours ago, Brews'n'Cruise said:

Yes, I just saw that as well, I also noted that they're increasing the drink price limits on the Classic and Premium packages. Classic is up to $10 and Premium is up to $17, so that's good news.

Andy.

Was this on a European cruise?   Celebrity included the gratuity in the cost as that is the custom in Europe.   European don’t add a gratuity to the bill as it is included in cost.

A very good BT friend that works in a Vegas told me that the Europeans never tip for their purchased drinks or complimentary drinks.    It isn’t their fault as it isn’t expected in their country because it isn’t necessary because the cost includes it.  

We were in Bermuda sitting at a bar called the Frog and Onion having a drink.   The menu stated that the gratuity is included.   Most Americans don’t notice that and tip additional.    A couple sitting next to us checked out.   The male paid the bill with his credit card and added a gratuity.   The female left a cash gratuity.   Both were feeling really  good and at the verge of having sex at the bar.   They were hammering down the drinks and said they were there a few hours.   We engaged in a conversation.  They were on the other ship in the port.   He signed  the bill with his credit card .   The female  put money in the folder  and handed it to the BT  and said I have the tip     He said I added it to the bill  .   I said it is included in the price.   He said wow, we really over tipped but someone will be getting a different  tip very shortly..  I seen their bill.   It was almost $300.  He said the drinks really add up and I didn’t think we had that many.    They left at least $120 between them plus the 20% added on the bill 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

14 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I’m predict that price of drinks and wine will increase accordingly, so the glass of Cattier that is $15 this week will be $17 next week and the $15 martini will now be $17.

I also expect some liquors like Tito’s will move from the Classic package to the Premium package.

I agree with your first paragraph but what makes you think some of the liquors will be switching from the classic to the premium package? Inside info or just a guess?

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

I just stumbled on this in the FAQs.  Celebrity is making changes to the beverage packages which will be effective 12/19.  The package limits are changing, guessing drink prices will increase, and possibly some shuffling of liquors and wines covered in each package.

The clear change I noted in the FAQs.  No longer will only 1 passenger in a cabin be able to purchase a beverage package.  All passengers who are of drinking age must purchase a package.  Maybe too much package sharing being detected ( I have seen it on our recent cruises) and a revenue opportunity.

59BCD9BD-58AB-4E14-8616-4308D5D53A92.thumb.png.d34bbba1948c2d12f648fa1e6ff55bfa.png

I thought that was always the rule.  For at least 3 years pre-covid and the nearly 2 years since restart, when ever DH and I ordered 2 drinks (without or without the other present) we were asked for 2 sea pass cards.  If I went to bar for 2 glasses of wine, I was asked for a second card.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

I agree with your first paragraph but what makes you think some of the liquors will be switching from the classic to the premium package? Inside info or just a guess?

Guess based on past history. 

RCCL has had the policy for years of everyone in the cabin having to purchase a drink package. It’s really annoying when one person doesn’t drink or drinks very little.  Even more annoying if that person doesn’t drink soda or specialty coffee.  But it is what it is. And  a combination of cheaters and wanting more revenue have led X to follow suit.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@Retired888 Then you simply call or have your husband call and ask for an exemption for yourself claiming a medical condition that prohibits you from consuming alcohol.  Should be able to do that over the phone.  I do not believe HIPPA permits them to ask for proof of medical justification.  

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or medical professional but am basing this on how I interpret what I read in the HIPPA disclosure that my doctor has me sign. 

HIPAA (not HIPPA) doesn't apply to cruise lines, nor to passengers' providing information of their own volition.

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@Retired888 Then you simply call or have your husband call and ask for an exemption for yourself claiming a medical condition that prohibits you from consuming alcohol.  Should be able to do that over the phone.  I do not believe HIPPA permits them to ask for proof of medical justification.  

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or medical professional but am basing this on how I interpret what I read in the HIPPA disclosure that my doctor has me sign. 

No. HIIPA (the correct acronym) says that anyone who learns medical information about you as any part of providing, processing, or auditing medical care to you, can't release any details without your permission.

HIIPA in no way limits anyone else from asking YOU to provide medical information.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

No. HIIPA (the correct acronym) says that anyone who learns medical information about you as any part of providing, processing, or auditing medical care to you, can't release any details without your permission.

HIIPA in no way limits anyone else from asking YOU to provide medical information.

Thanks you.  Was  not 1000% sure how it worked.  I know when I was a hiring manager, I was not permitted to ask any questions of potential hires related to medial issues.  

22 minutes ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

No, it's HIPAA, the acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wonder if that has to do with the spiraling inflation cost of all products including alcohol.

I also noticed while onboard that the size of the pastry in OV, Al Bacio have been downsized.

What was worst there was no Apple fritters ! 😱😡😁

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

If if has been said once, it's been said a thousand times here on CC.  The Duty Free Shop onboard is a separate entity from Celebrity Cruise Lines supply channel.  Celebrity cannot buy alcohol in the  Duty Free Shop for resale onboard.  Not sure why people keep bringing this up with regard to alcohol available onboard.  

It is brought up to show it is not a supply chain issue. If the duty free shop can buy it, and every store back home in Florida can buy then Celebrity can buy it. They just do not want to.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, southernbreezes said:

It is brought up to show it is not a supply chain issue. If the duty free shop can buy it, and every store back home in Florida can buy then Celebrity can buy it. They just do not want to.

100% incorrect. 

17 hours ago, miched said:

Thanks 

We were in a suite in Oct.   The only bourbons were Makers,  Bulleit, Beam, Jack and rot gut Ten High. 

In Luminae there weren’t many wines available that were in the premium package.  Most were covered by the Classic.  

It was always because of the supply issue.   I thinks the supply issue was Celebrity not wanting to supply it to cut cost as there was Woodford Bourbon available in the duty free shop.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Our Silhouette cruise in October served Woodford reserve and Buffalo Trace at some bars.

I would not think  that a significant number of passengers purchase individual  drink packages.  Perhaps BCC members who get a free Cruise Only cabin?

Also I wonder if this change will legitimize a person with the Classic Drink package (AI) downgrading to the Zero Proof package.

Thank you to the OP for the heads up on the changes. The FAQ also states the Package prices go up tomorrow December 19. 
I went ahead and called today to upgrade my included Classic package to Premium. With the Elite discount it was 11.99 a day (not 15.00) plus gratuities. 

And, I was only on hold for less than 10 minutes!