Anyone else receive a Picture Book in the mail recently?

Lois R

I just received a book that is titled "Ecuador/Galapagos Islands in the mail. I can only say it is many pictures but no narratives. It is a hardcover.

It is pretty thick and I guess it would be more interesting if I wanted to visit those places.  Just wondering if anyone else got this book in the mail?

The photographer is Steve McCurry and there is also a note card from Barbara Muckermann.

I got one about 10 days ago.

When I first opened the box and read what it said, I was really chuffed. It has quality written all over it.

But then I opened it and wondered if it was a reject as despite some stunning photos, the lack of text and some odd placement of the photos, made it seem like it was an unfinished project sent to print before completion.

I do appreciate the gesture but just seemed really unfortunate it promised so much and fell flat because of the strange layout within.

Not a complaint as I am grateful. Just could have been so much better IMHO and something to treasure.

FD3376A8-D452-416A-8CE0-FF2AE9F4DD34.thumb.jpeg.923e15d6dbee200c05597b63c3b787ff.jpeg

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

According to Voldemort’s multiple posts, as well as other first hand reports, yes.

I don't know this person........guess I don't know the right people...first hand or not.......😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, les37b said:

When I first opened the box and read what it said, I was really chuffed. It has quality written all over it.

But then I opened it and wondered if it was a reject as despite some stunning photos, the lack of text and some odd placement of the photos, made it seem like it was an unfinished project sent to print before completion.

I do appreciate the gesture but just seemed really unfortunate it promised so much and fell flat because of the strange layout within.

Not a complaint as I am grateful. Just could have been so much better IMHO and something to treasure.

FD3376A8-D452-416A-8CE0-FF2AE9F4DD34.thumb.jpeg.923e15d6dbee200c05597b63c3b787ff.jpeg

I thought the same thing.........wish there was some sort of narrative.

Not sure what the qualifications were to receive one.  As of today, we have not received it.  I seem to recall there was a hardcover book in our suite on the Moon in the same location as the voyage catalogs (in the open compartment of the nightstand next to the bed) and I wondered whether it was the same book many are now receiving in the mail.  I thought the book was about the Galapagos but now I can't remember. 

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I don't know this person........guess I don't know the right people...first hand or not.......😮

Agree with JP.  Not a person, but a website that is not allowed to be mentioned on CC.  And, you’ve made it clear in the past you do not participate in Voldemort. Others like ZQTChas don’t either.  Hopefully, this helps you put two plus two together. 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Agree with JP.  Not a person, but a website that is not allowed to be mentioned on CC.  And, you’ve made it clear in the past you do not participate in Voldemort. Others like ZQTChas don’t either.  Hopefully, this helps you put two plus two together. 😉

Thank you for the clarification and I did not know that is what it represents or I would not have made that comment.

• Like 1

We received ours in yesterday’s mail. It has 59 plates, and we agree with Spins, each a work of art. I take lots of pictures hoping that one or two from each of our SS cruise destinations will be worthy of printing, framing and hanging on a wall.  Imagine how many pictures Steve McCurry took to pick those 59? They could be a complete museum exhibit. 

Although we have not yet been to the Galapagos, we have been to Ecuador, and these are vivid reminders of the people and places we visited.  The Galapagos pictures will hold us until we can get there, but we have so much to look forward to seeing. 

Lois R, focus your phone camera on the QR code appearing on the 4th page.  That will take you to multiple web pages explaining the pictures and the stories behind them.

Given only 4,000 copies printed, each numbered (see back page – ours is book n 2952/4000), not sure what qualified us to receive this first Silversea destination photo book, but we're delighted and hoping we will be on the list for the second and beyond. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Silversea, enjoyed our McCurry Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands book.  The pictures reminded us of our wonderfulpre cruise time in Cusco and Machu Picchu.  We have yet to book the Origin for the Galapagos but will in the next few years.

21 hours ago, les37b said:

I'm of the same opinion as you Les. 

I - as do you i'm sure - get it that when it comes to something like this it will land differently with a wide range of recipients.

Me ? it was a bit like Tottenham over the past  x number of years - promised a lot but failed to deliver !  😉    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Lois:

I am sure you did not mean to infer that I do not appreciate “art”.

I did not. I was making a general statement......we are all different people and what you may think is beautiful I may not. We can all appreciate different things.

• 4 weeks later...