wait, what, formal night is back?

Hi everyone 

My gf just send me a text with a picture of daily activities and one night says" tonight's attire is formal"

is formal night back , maybe im confused now but I think forma is was  behind in the past. 

Thanks

• Haha 1

last month on the explorer at least 90% of the people were wearing formal attire and I was like , why everyone is wearing that. before the pandemic formal night was relaxed at least in all my Caribbean cruises from miami that I took but omg last one on the explorer they really took it seriously and now my gf finds out that is on the daily compass . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

last month on the explorer at least 90% of the people were wearing formal attire and I was like , why everyone is wearing that. before the pandemic formal night was relaxed at least in all my Caribbean cruises from miami that I took but omg last one on the explorer they really took it seriously and now my gf finds out that is on the daily compass . 

There’s no need to stress. It never stopped, there has always been a formal or “dressed up” evening. But, don’t dress up if you don’t wish to. We really enjoy it, some of our best portraits were made on the ships. In 2022 there are so few occasions to really dress up so we use the cruises to do this and I’m sure that there’s plenty of other people who feel the same. But if you don’t want to dress in formal wear then don’t. It is that easy 👍🏼

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

I'm looking forward to dressing up in my fancy duds in two weeks.  Only time I get to.  It's fun.

I also LOVE when our entire family dresses to the nines but I’m getting tired of hauling around the extra attire in our luggage. My tux just isn’t convenient.  Our last cruise on the allure was simply dress shirt and tie.  Can’t believe it but it’s true.

Some of us remember when "formal" meant a tux or dinner jacket, bow tie, cummerbund, patent-leather shoes, and for ladies, floor-length evening gowns. "Semi-formal" was still pretty formal! Those distinctions are pretty much gone now, I believe. 

• Like 3

I will wear my usual -- dress shirt and maybe a sports coat.  Depends on the temperature in the restaurant.   Never owned a tux and am not going to buy one now.  Wife does not own and dinner gown and she has no interest in getting one now. 

• Like 2

We LOVE formal night, well my mother, my daughter and I do but my the men in our lives are more casual in nature all around to be fair. 😆 In fact, on our next cruise my mom, daughter and myself purchased the dining package so we can dress up and have a leisurely dinner with conversation and fine dining while my Dad and my son enjoy themselves in the quick eat Windjammer. My husband is also a Windjammer fan and more business casual in his "formal" attire. He will be missing the next cruise yet again due to work though. 

• Like 1